Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I know most breweries have Stouts and poo poo, Black Butte is great, Old Rasputin is better. The problem is trying to find not-IPA in a bar in Seattle is borderline impossible. If you're lucky you might find Blue Moon. You go to pretty much any bar that isn't a dedicated craft beer bar and it's just a row of IPA taps. I end up having to drink gin and tonics.

what the gently caress are you talking about, order a god drat mannys rainier Olympia Mac and jacks any other local beer????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Stop moving to my city assholes

Why is it almost exclusively white people that got in on the first few waves of gentrification that post this stuff? It's always some poser that is too afraid to shop in the ethnic markets.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MonkeyHate posted:

it sucks when you go to a restaurant and they have only five or six local beers from different breweries on tap and it's like four ipas and a really heavy porter

"Sucks" isn't right but they could do a lot better. I'm more saddened when blue moon is the only wheat they/everyone has.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Hobohemian posted:

Why is it almost exclusively white people that got in on the first few waves of gentrification that post this stuff? It's always some poser that is too afraid to shop in the ethnic markets.

First waves of gentrification? I've been here since 1996 motherfucker. There was NO gentrification. My house that is now worth 350,000 was bought for 30 grand because the neighborhood was so poo poo

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Hobohemian posted:

White people shopping in ethnic markets is cultural appropriation.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I love barley wines but I can't find any Old Foghorn in Tennessee anymore. How I miss that sweet nectar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hobohemian posted:

There are non-white people in the PNW?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

H1-B visa holders shipped over by Microsoft and Amazon.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

computer parts posted:

No not really. They mostly live outside of the city in shitholes. Although the cunts who live here love to talk about diversity endlessly

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

porters, imperial stouts, belgian style dubbels/trippels are good

ipas are terrible

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 19, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

First waves of gentrification? I've been here since 1996 motherfucker. There was NO gentrification. My house that is now worth 350,000 was bought for 30 grand because the neighborhood was so poo poo

Thank you for proving exactly what I said.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pastor Perineum posted:

porters, imperial stouts, belgian stytle dubbels/trippels are good

those are good beers

quote:

ipas are terrible

ipas are also good beer

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Hobohemian posted:

Thank you for proving exactly what I said.

You think that happened overnight? prices didn't start moving up in till around 2003. There was no overnight gentrification when I moved in

TwitchCannon
Jul 12, 2002

It's all about versatility, honey - I'm a pitcher and a catcher.

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

You think that happened overnight? prices didn't start moving up in till around 2003. There was no overnight gentrification when I moved in

Sorry you haven't been there for two whole decades yet you are obviously part of the problem, hth.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
i do prefer a piney as gently caress ipa, seriously, i love the pine

but if i'm in a social setting i'm usually going to want to drink stuff that doesn't getting me drunk as gently caress, and i want to drink about 6-10

Doublethink
Sep 11, 2001

Umpossible my dear fellow, simply umpossible
IPAs are great but i will agree they are a bit played out, that style has been explored and there isn't much more to discover there. Lately i've been seeing more breweries putting out India Pale Lagers and those are loving amazing, a nice balance of hop flavor and standard lager smoothness. IMO the best is still Base Camp Brewing's In-Tents IPL, shits loving ill. Pyramid brewing's IPL is acceptable as well.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
lol if you dont guzzle any beer put in front of you

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Daedra posted:

lol if you dont guzzle any beer put in front of you

oh I do but lol at ipa snobs

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Doublethink posted:

IPAs are great but i will agree they are a bit played out, that style has been explored and there isn't much more to discover there. Lately i've been seeing more breweries putting out India Pale Lagers and those are loving amazing, a nice balance of hop flavor and standard lager smoothness. IMO the best is still Base Camp Brewing's In-Tents IPL, shits loving ill. Pyramid brewing's IPL is acceptable as well.

I hadn't heard of IPLs before, I'll give that a try. Thanks friend.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
If you don't like IPAs you are probably some flyover state loser who thinks tater tot casserole is fine dining.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
most casseroles taste fine :colbert:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Daedra posted:

most casseroles taste fine :colbert:

"Institutional" is not a flavor

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

IPAs are great. The only issue I tend to have is with brewers sticking too closely with the traditional Pacific Northwest style, which means an assload of the same three or four hops every time. Great if you're in love with grapefruit, but it gets tiring after a while.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Great lakes is an awful brewery with terrible beer names and ugly packaging, and even their lager tastes like a skunked Sierra nevada

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
booze makes you fat as gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skeleton Ape posted:

What are you talking about op IPAs are over, the current thing no one will shut the gently caress up about is porters and sours. Do you live in the midwest?

i dunno IPAs are still very popular and will continue to be. but my favorite beer is London Porter and i'll welcome more places to find it. i think its weird that people move onto some new trend though--just drink what you like :shrug:

e: yeah ipas are still the largest growing beer option in most stores and highest selling--last year was higher than the year before, and this year is even higher. will prolly taper/decline a bit though in the future.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 19, 2015

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The thing is that hops have a sedative effect. So even though I like IPAs it only takes one and I'm ready for a nap.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

actionjackson posted:

I only like ciders because I'm a giant human being

Me too, but Irish craft ciders are really delicious. :)

Dr Cheeto posted:

The only country that does beer right is Belgium

An off-licence that my friends and I frequented pretty much daily (the owner was literally fighting back tears when we told him we were moving back home) managed to get hold of two cases of Westvleteren 12. We put his acquisition down to black magicks and child trafficking to the monastery. Friend of mine managed to buy 5 bottles of the stuff. Every bottle minus one is reserved for a divorce. That's how good Belgian beers are.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 19, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
IPA is for people who want the sharpness of urine without the uric acid

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

computer parts posted:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/northwest-front-americas-worst-racists-119803.html#.Var3_PlViko

Oregon didn't strike the "Black people can only live here as property" law off their books until like 2003.

Also anyone who lives in the PNW and is too weak to drink hoppy beers and too young to drink Rainier should just move to some state that sells Schlitz.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

School Nickname posted:

Me too, but Irish craft ciders are really delicious. :)

An off-licence that my friends and I frequented pretty much daily (the owner was literally fighting back tears when we told him we were moving back home) managed to get hold of two cases of Westvleteren 12. We put his acquisition down to black magicks and child trafficking to the monastery. Friend of mine managed to buy 5 bottles of the stuff. Every bottle minus one is reserved for a divorce. That's how good Belgian beers are.

That, friend, is The Good poo poo. I get them imported to the UK where I normally live for like €14 a bottle. So worth it.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Its a bunch of bearded nerds trying to one up eachother with hoppy flavors.

Beer is dumb and for fat tards.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Its a bunch of bearded nerds trying to one up eachother with hoppy flavors.

Beer is dumb and for fat tards.

This cancerous poster is right. Drinking a case of beer to get drunk is annoying and a hassle. Just buy some wine or hard liquor you loving pussy's and actually get drunk.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

This cancerous poster is right. Drinking a case of beer to get drunk is annoying and a hassle. Just buy some wine or hard liquor you loving pussy's and actually get drunk.

Drinking is bad.

Dont smoke pot either.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Great lakes is an awful brewery with terrible beer names and ugly packaging, and even their lager tastes like a skunked Sierra nevada

Edmund Fitzgerald is good but gently caress the 6 pack containers that don't allow you to pull a beer out.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Why is it that every brewer from Washington to San Francisco makes 30 IPAs ranging from unpleasantly hoppy to weapons grade pure triple hop extract with some alcohol I guess (invariably called Total Ultra Domination Super IPA)? Trying to find a porter or Stout over here is a loving quest. I've given up on finding Dubbels or barley wines.

Bitch if you can't drink hoppy beer then stick to your budweisners and what not

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
San Diego is a garbage town but they do make nice IPA.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the loving dipshit beer culture is the worst thing that ever happened to the PNW

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Pick posted:

the loving dipshit beer culture is the worst thing that ever happened to the PNW

No that would be the invention of the automobile that allowed Californians to drive here en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Why is it that every brewer from Washington to San Francisco makes 30 IPAs ranging from unpleasantly hoppy to weapons grade pure triple hop extract with some alcohol I guess (invariably called Total Ultra Domination Super IPA)? Trying to find a porter or Stout over here is a loving quest. I've given up on finding Dubbels or barley wines.
you forgot victoria and vancouver in that.

they are fading though at least here. sours are starting to take off.

we have a brewery called phillips and it went loving crazy with hops and still does to a certain extent but i swear to god most victoria breweries have realized the hop burnout

• Locked thread