Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So those of you who answer questions over in the First Downies thread may know that after drunkenly watching the last SuperBowl til 3am over here in the UK, I've gotten pretty into the NFL and football as a whole. However being as I am from the UK, I have no geographical loyalty to any of the teams in the league and as such have run into a problem with my plans to closely follow football next year; I don't know who to support.

So I figured what better way to choose where my loyalties will lie than to ask the current fans of the franchises within the league? So what I would like from you guys is a sales pitch almost as to why your team is the team for me, a person who has watched one entire NFL game and played a lot of Madden this summer. What is it that sets your team apart? What are it's main selling points? Why do you follow the team that you follow?

So some of the questions I'd like to know about your team of choice include, but are not limited to:

Why do YOU support this team?

What are their best and worst apects?

What is your teams Front Office/Owner like? What sets them apart from the rest of the league?

Who is your teams biggest rival?

Who is your teams star player? What makes them worth watching?

Who is your favorite player on the team? Why?

Who is your teams worst player?

Who is your teams most promising player?

Which opposing player am I honor bound to wish death upon as a fan of this franchise?

If you could sum up your team in any one photo, what would it be?

What am I likely to see over the next season if I follow your side?

Feel free to add any other information you might think relevant too. This should be an interesting read and a big help to me, a person who apparently is devoid of their own convictions or ability to make a decision for themselves! Otherwise I'll just revert to my original plan of launching a dart at a map of the US and supporting the closest team.

Thanks guys,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

That's my response in lieu of actually addressing the topic questions

As the OP I'd like to say that whilst I do not understand this post in the least I feel oddly compelled to like it.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for the write ups so far guys, they've been making some pretty valid/funny points like I'd hope.

The Raiders owners are loving hilarious.

I think we can write off the Jaguars since from what I gather it'd be masochistic to actually choose to watch them.

We can write off the Cowboys because 1)What little lurking I've done here seems to indicate the average NFL fan thinks that the Cowboys are the devil incarnate. 2)Jerry Jones seems like the Mark Cuban of the NFL and irritated the gently caress out of me on the ancient season of Hard Knocks I've watched. Unless he has become more likable since 2002?

The idea of rooting for the Bears kind of appeals because they'd be an underdog.

So far I'd say I'm leaning toward either the Packers or the Giants. The Packers seem like a good team with interesting pieces to watch and are likely to make a decent playoff run but it almost seems like I'd be jumping on the bandwagon which if I was going to do it'd probably make sense to just be a Patriots or Seahawks fan.

Be interested to read a write up on the Patriots or Seahawks. There's something I just don't like about Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman that I can't really explain. Marshawn Lynch seems pretty awesome though.

The Giants because, yes the Beckham Jr hype did reach me even though I've only paid attention to the sport for 3 months. I didn't realize Eli Manning was supposed to be a lovable retard, I figured he'd just be diet Peyton Manning also didn't one of their star players just blow his finger off?

The Lions appeal for similar reasons because of Calvin Johnson.

As somebody said in fairness I'd need to pick an East Coast team thats shown often. What time do the games kick off in ET?

Keep them coming guys, been interesting so far.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
I'm pretty pleased with 6pm GMT, being an NBA fan I was expecting to have to stay up crazy late again. What about Monday Night Football?

Also would you guys say the Patriots are the Lakers of the NFL?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Febreeze posted:

Eli is the most loveable of retards in the NFL. You might have people in this thread giving arguments for Flacco or Luck or whoever, but Eli is the gold standard of doofy QB. To illustrate further:

Here he is when his building flooded during a hurricane

Here is classic Manningface

Here he is on SNL

His sense of humor is actually very underrated

He is ludicrously Sexy

Here is a picture of him on the beach, and the digital painting I made of that picture, which got on ESPN

His toughness is also underrated. Here he is after getting sacked by 3 49ers at once. Threw the ball last second, got a first down, got up and called for a timeout with fantastic situational awareness.

Here is the real kicker though

Also, he's made the Patriots cry twice, and the Patriots are named after the group of people who first rebelled from Britain, so you should not only love Eli Manning on principle but hate the Patriots. He was also the only person to score a Touchdown (a 7 yard run! In the Rain! His longest run ever?) in the first real game of the London Series, against the Dolphins. He beat Cameron Wake on the play!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQYyqfT2vw

This post is probably the strongest argument for the Giants outside of a constant loop of that one handed catch. Eli does seem kind of awesome in a ridiculous sort of way. That beach picture certainly does away with my idea of QB's all being awesome athletes....

The Eagles do seem like something to get in on the ground floor with but they seem to be lacking that awesome/crazy/entertaining player unless Bradford pans out. I guess there's Demarco Murray as well. Plus the whole devoted fan base is cool too.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Metapod posted:

Before you pick your team answer this question, what aspect about football do you enjoy the most?

My top 5 favorite aspects in rough order

1. Wide receivers making ridiculous catches/runs after catch
2. Quarterbacks getting their souls sacked out of them.
3. QB Scramble plays.
4. Inteceptions
5. Forced Fumbles.

Really what any newcomer to the game would like I expect, the flashy poo poo and the big plays.

quote:

It is one of the football highlights, not just Eagles highlights, and if this video won't make you a fan, nothing will.

I actually already saw this because I spent some time reading through all the NFL Lore articles on Wikipedia. That video does get you pretty hyped up.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the Patriots are bad for you on pretty much every level.

1. Their receivers are boring and make plays based on timing and Brady reading defenses like a wizard and dull poo poo like that.

So Gronk doesn't do crazy poo poo most games like I figured? I thought Edelman was supposed to be entertaining too?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

:stare: That was loving awesome

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Was it Edelman who spiked his own sweater at the victory parade?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So do Giants fans still have to find Eli lovable when he somehow throws 5 picks in a single game or that when we throw him under the bus? I didn't think it'd be possible to throw 5 interceptions in a game, surely by the 3rd one they'd just go with the back up QB?

Any fans care to write up:

Atlanta Falcons
NY Jets
Houston Texans
Tampa Bay Buccameers

and a non Cam Newton-centric write up of reasons to like the Panthers (sorry if this is a noob request)

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Don't root for the Packers

But those GIFs all look awesome and Rodgers threw as many interceptions last year as Eli did in one game? Albeit none of them were his fault really.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Crayfish posted:

El Seano where in the UK are you based? What UK sports teams do you support? I feel this is really important in helping you decide and I care a lot.

To my eternal shame I am from Stoke and recently was converted last season by the more alcoholic of my friends to become a Stoke City fan (went to 11 games home and away last season, watched at least 28 games). I like Stoke mainly due to:

1. Geographical loyalty.
2. An excuse to drink to extreme excess most weekends (Boxing Day last year was essentially an 8am to 2am drinking session)
3. They're overachieving underdogs (the last two season at least)
4, The fans are devoted to the point of hilarity, will throw a player under the bus as soon as sing his name in the stands.
5. The manager is some sort of Welsh idiot savant that keeps signing all of my favorite Barcelona youth players of 5/6 years ago.

FWIW The only other Stoke City fan I know who watches NFL is a dreadlocked white Music Technology college lecturer who is a fairly avid Bears fan.

Also in my brief time lurking I gather the only thing worse than being a Cowboys or Patriots fan is being a Seahawks fan. I think becoming a fan of any of those teams would have been akin to me becoming a Chelsea, Man United or Arsenal fan last season, which would probably get me the poo poo kicked out of me in select pubs in the lovely Midlands where I live.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Metapod posted:

Man up and take a terrible team so you can be smug when they get good

At the moment it's more Giants than Packers.

It's looking hard to resist:
- a retarded QB that likes to throw the ball at the other teams defenders (but it isn't his fault)
- a nine fingered DE who according to the front page of Yahoo! NFL "will tell you he made a mistake"
- a WR who likes to catch things one handed
- and furthermore a WR who likes to salsa dance after TDs.

I mean what is that? Why?

El Seano fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 21, 2015

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
In fairness looking at Cruz' recent stats I probably shouldn't worry too much about seeing that dance very often.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Vando posted:

What's your favourite colour, OP?

Blue.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Vando posted:

Navy, Royal, Powder or Sea?

After googling the last three I'd say Royal.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Wall Balls posted:

we got a wr who makes crazy catches and gets huge yards after the catch, and then we have another one of those

So that's Cobb and who?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

quote:

If you could sum up your team in any one photo, what would it be?

:stare: Jesus christ.

quote:

How do you not have some form of mild cardiac arrest everytime your QB tries to scramble?!

Also

Does anyone other than 49er fans like Colin Kaepernick?
There has been a great deal of "gently caress Colin Kaepernick" in this thread, a level of vitriol I expected to be reserved for either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning (who has been mentioned surprisingly little). My experience from the NBA is the general fanbase despises the most successful players (Lebron, Kobe etc) so I assumed most fanbases would be telling me to loathe them.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Ramadu posted:

I've seen the Cardinals play better defense than the Seahawks :colbert:

Tell me more of this "Cardinals" franchise of which you speak...

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

Don't do it man.

Click this, click a few logos until you get a general idea then click the cardinals: http://www.frivoletics.com/spans/nfl/

Oh Jesus God it's as red as their logo!

Ramadu why would you tell me they're trending upward?!

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So it's down to the Packers and Giants. I'm just reading up on both of their histories lately to try and help me separate them. Both of them tick a lot of the boxes I'm after:

- Good/Great and entertaining QB
- Great WR
- Defensive ability
- East coast team likely to be watchable each weekend at a reasonable time in the UK.

The history of both sides is very entertaining from reading about Favre's heroics to realizing how special Lawrence Taylor must have been to be the only defensive player to have won MVP in 30+ years. I watched a documentary of Favre recently that made me kinda like the whole Packers idea a bit more, he just seems pretty likable and surprisingly funny....but then so is Eli Manning so I'm kind of torn plus I like the idea of making excuses for my teams star player all year.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Picture Liverpool. Now picture a Liverpool that is most definitely not star-crossed, a Liverpool that consistently rewards its fans' delusions, always leads the league in goals scored, has recently won championships, and regularly gets to the knockout stages in the Champions League. Imagine Gerrard retiring, then Liverpool immediately replacing him with Messi. Then think long and hard about becoming a fan of that team.

It sounds pretty rad, but there are principles at stake here. :colbert:

Aaron Rodgers is Messi? That's high praise.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Benne posted:

The Seahawks are a historically mediocre franchise that recently got good and attracted some of the dumbest bandwagon motherfuckers on the planet

What EPL team does that translate to?

Man City.

As somebody else already said, Chelsea did nothing for 50 years but they've been consistently excellent for about a decade now so it's hard to shovel poo poo on them, you just have to accept them as one of the big teams now.

Man City are the latest team to have a few billion thrown their way and suddenly become relevant and have everyone behind them. I knew about 2 Man City fans 10 years ago when they were basement dwellers, once the money came and they became successful a lot of people became fans and a lot of those people know the square root of gently caress all about football. Chelsea were at least somewhat relevant before the money came whereas City never were.

Whilst they still have their cadre of loyal fans from the old, mediocre days you'll find a lot more people got interested when those billions turned up and the "peoples" Manchester team could finally compete with the "evil" Manchester team (United or for the purposes of this metaphor, the Patriots).

Nothing makes me happier than seeing Man City lose because they're entitled pricks who fast tracked their way to glory and their fans act as though it's divinity that got them a few trophies, not a billionaire owner.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

axeil posted:

A TFF/Ray Parlour joint thread providing EPL/NFL analogs would be interesting because I know almost nothing about the EPL and would like to know more but require all knowledge to be put in american football terms.

I'd love to read this thread tbh. I think it'd be an interesting read.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Well, just to give this thread some closure.

Thanks for all your write ups, it was a fun read for me and led me to reading far more NFL wikipedia articles than I ever thought I would do. It basically came down to following either the Giants, the Packers or the Carolina Cam Newtons.

So it is after great consideration that I have decided I will become an NY Giants fan.

This is something you can all recall and mock me every time Eli Manning throws an interception that was not his fault this coming season but the allure of an idiot man child QB and one wide receiver with the oddest haircut I've ever seen and another who can't run without his patellar exploding was too much to resist. But also they're likely to be on at a watchable time for me most weekends and it seems like a team I get on board with without feeling like I'm hopping on the bandwagon of an already successful side, which it felt like I would be doing if I became a Packers fan. I couldn't be a Panthers fan because I would essentially have been a Cam Newton fan which didn't seem like the best idea.

Also you guys made me dislike the Seahawks less, so that's something.

Now I just need something to make me an avatar of Cruz salsa dancing in a Stoke City shirt.

Edit:
Oh, this highlight was one of the last things I saw that swayed me FWIW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5Zyzn3Avw

El Seano fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 29, 2015

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So is it always this fun to be a Giants fan? How many times will I see them lose a lead this season?

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Now if this was what being a Giants fan was like every weekend then I'd be a shitload more optimistic about my choice of team. NFL Sundays loving rule, sat here with a couple of beers and pizza cheering at a game I barely comprehend past a basic level. Fun times.

Edit:

Now I know this is what being a Giants fan is like every weekend I'm a shitload more pessimistic about my choice of team and life in general. NFL Sundays loving suck, sat here feeling bloated and slightly sick from cheap pizza having had enough beer that work will be a chore in the morning, cheering at a game I wish I comprehended more so I could understand how you lose a lead like that at home.

El Seano fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

You root for stoke right? How do you not understand your team making GBS threads all over itself?

Well Stoke weren't doing it as often last season as they are so far this one, as it stands my Saturdays I get let down by Stoke and my Sundays I get let down by the Giants.

Once the NBA season starts up again the Lakers can let me down on Fridays occasionally too I guess.

• Locked thread