Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The New York Football Giants

Why do YOU support this team?

Family Inheritance, but obligation has turned into true love

What are their best and worst apects?

The Giants have been a well run franchise for a few decades. Despite the occasional bad year or two, they are not dysfunctional and many problems that other teams have usually don't happen here thanks to old family owners who treat the franchise as a real team and not just a business venture. The Giants are a good organization and can never truly be counted out

They are also inconsistent as gently caress. One week they will show up against a good team fully expecting to get blown out, and they turn in a great performance. Then they'll go out the next week and completely poo poo the bed. It's exciting, but it's also incredibly nerve-wracking because you never feel safe as a fan. As a consequence, most of us are pessimists. The team isn't that bad but we constantly expect the Bad Giants to show up. If you meet an optimistic Giants fan they are a filthy casual. It also hasn't helped that the two recent championship teams are both considered to be some of the worst championship teams to grace the sport, so even our successes get shat on in some ways. But they just jelly. That said, we'll defend the team to the death because only we can wallow in our own perceived misery.

What is your teams Front Office/Owner like? What sets them apart from the rest of the league?

As stated above the Maras treat the franchise as a football team and not just a business venture. As owners I have no complaints, as I've seen other teams fight in perpetual turmoil because the owners not really respecting the franchise. The Maras are an old football family and they care, and it's nice to have patient, steady ownership. That said, the Maras are also the "high class snobs" of the Owners circle, and sort of run things, and if other owners don't go by their rules they will shut them down. They planned a collusion during the uncapped year and punished the Skins/Cowboys for not playing along, which is pretty scummy even if it was the Cowboys and Redskins.

Who is your teams biggest rival?

1a. The Eagles. gently caress the Eagles
1b. The Cowboys. gently caress the Cowboys
2. The Redskins. gently caress them too, but not quite as hard.

Who is your teams star player? What makes them worth watching?

Odell Beckham Jr. You might have heard of him as the hype is insane. He made a sweet catch once. He also made a lot of other catches and had the second best rookie season by a WR, ever. Since he was injured for 4 games and put up all his numbers in just 12, mostly as the only threat, it's possible he could have had a better rookie season than Moss, but we'll never know.

Who is your favorite player on the team? Why?

Eli Manning. Perpetual underdog, lamer and worse than his brother, really dorky looking, Pretty much always looks like a doofus. Pretty much defines the Giants as a player. He's inconsistent and streaky, but when the magic happens, there is no better feeling in the world than watching Eli pull it off and make his dorky "yay we scored" face. He also has retard strength and hasn't missed a start (currently has the longest active starting streak for QBs, maybe for all players). This is pretty remarkable because he gets hit a lot.

Who is your teams worst player?

Offensive Line as a whole.

Who is your teams most promising player?

Odell Beckham Jr. beware, the hype is absurd right now though, and at this level even if he has a good season he might get seen as having a sophomore slump.

Which opposing player am I honor bound to wish death upon as a fan of this franchise?

The entire Eagles roster, including Tim Tebow!
The entire Cowboys roster, mainly Dez and Witten. You can respect Romo, but wish him failure.
RG3
LeSean McCoy
Desean Jackson

If you could sum up your team in any one photo, what would it be?

I thought way too hard about this, but if I have to pick a true image that represents this team, it's this one

What am I likely to see over the next season if I follow your side?

Injuries. We've been the most injured team in the league by far over two seasons and we've never really been healthy. Our coach is from the stone age and has outdated views on player conditioning. The Giants have potential to be a good team, but in reality this year you'll probably see a middle of the road team that has some fantastic thrilling games and some absolute poo poo shows. However, we are always on in primetime (MAJOR MARKET TEAM NFCEAST SUCK IT HATERS) so we are easy to follow.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

El Seano posted:

The Giants because, yes the Beckham Jr hype did reach me even though I've only paid attention to the sport for 3 months. I didn't realize Eli Manning was supposed to be a lovable retard, I figured he'd just be diet Peyton Manning also didn't one of their star players just blow his finger off?

Eli is the most loveable of retards in the NFL. You might have people in this thread giving arguments for Flacco or Luck or whoever, but Eli is the gold standard of doofy QB. To illustrate further:

Here he is when his building flooded during a hurricane

Here is classic Manningface

Here he is on SNL

His sense of humor is actually very underrated

He is ludicrously Sexy

Here is a picture of him on the beach, and the digital painting I made of that picture, which got on ESPN

His toughness is also underrated. Here he is after getting sacked by 3 49ers at once. Threw the ball last second, got a first down, got up and called for a timeout with fantastic situational awareness.

Here is the real kicker though

Also, he's made the Patriots cry twice, and the Patriots are named after the group of people who first rebelled from Britain, so you should not only love Eli Manning on principle but hate the Patriots. He was also the only person to score a Touchdown (a 7 yard run! In the Rain! His longest run ever?) in the first real game of the London Series, against the Dolphins. He beat Cameron Wake on the play!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQYyqfT2vw

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

El Seano posted:

My top 5 favorite aspects in rough order

1. Wide receivers making ridiculous catches/runs after catch
2. Quarterbacks getting their souls sacked out of them.
3. QB Scramble plays.
4. Inteceptions
5. Forced Fumbles.

Really what any newcomer to the game would like I expect, the flashy poo poo and the big plays.

I actually already saw this because I spent some time reading through all the NFL Lore articles on Wikipedia. That video does get you pretty hyped up.

1. http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-giants/0ap3000000433606/Beckham-catches-worldwide-attention
2. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d819cf1ac/Jets-draw-first-blood-in-turf-war
3. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c50b29/Manning-fumbles-on-4th-down
4. http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Eli-Manning-throws-five-interceptions-/4e7ff596-d262-4dcd-8bde-29351aa3ebe4
5. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000373678/Kyle-Williams-strip-sack-of-Eli-Manning

The Giants are not boring. Things are either amazing or a complete disaster

Also here are the Giants being the beneficiary of the funniest sequence in NFL history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4

El Seano posted:

The Eagles do seem like something to get in on the ground floor with but they seem to be lacking that awesome/crazy/entertaining player unless Bradford pans out. I guess there's Demarco Murray as well. Plus the whole devoted fan base is cool too.

Don't be an Eagles fan and cling to some regular season comeback as their most special game, be a champion.

Vote Giants

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

El Seano posted:

So do Giants fans still have to find Eli lovable when he somehow throws 5 picks in a single game or that when we throw him under the bus? I didn't think it'd be possible to throw 5 interceptions in a game, surely by the 3rd one they'd just go with the back up QB?

Eli won us two super bowls. Eli will receive nothing but love for the rest of his Giants tenure, and we will go out of our way to blame everything else instead of Eli.

This is going to come back to bite me in future GDTs and such but here is a handy flowchart I made for you

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

There are certain teams that it will never be acceptable to bandwagon. These teams are

1. The Cowboys
2. The Steelers
3. The Patriots
4. The Packers
5. Would have been the 49ers but everyone just jumped off that bandwagon. however this team owned the 80's and none of their fans ever shut up about Joe Montana.

Each of these teams already contains a ripe infection of bandwagoners across the nation. In any sports bar in the country you will find some rear end in a top hat meathead with a Roethlisberger or Hines Ward jersey. Patriots fans are smug and evil, most of them not even knowing the team used to be a joke. Cowboys fans are too numerous to count and must be eradicated. Packer fans are the nicest, most vile bandwagoners of them all. They are everywhere, none of them are from Green bay, they probably own meaningless stock in the team, and "they are just so drat great why could anyone hate the packers we are the classic franchise of the NFL our big fat bratwurst smelling poo poo don't stink look at my cheese hat isn't it cute why can't your team find a generational QB it was so easy for us did you know the Packers are owned by the people that's why we are so great hey the trophy is named after our historic coach we ARE football"

Currently if you bandwagon the Seahawks you are a douche as well, and the 12 thing is currently the most insufferable thing in sports, barely edging out the terrible towel.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 21, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

TubeStank posted:

the giants have won two super bowls in the past 10 years, so they should be added to the list.

but we didn't pick up any real bandwagon for it, especially since the team hasn't sustained those two successes and both are considered flukes by a large number of people.

Giants are a very popular team but we've never had a large bandwagon. Just a lot of cranky old people.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

NC-17 posted:

Don't pick the Giants unless you want to hang out with two groups of people:

A. Uptight 70 year olds who hate Eli Manning because he throws too many interceptions.
B. Dudes who can't name anyone on the roster besides Eli Manning, whichever receiver happens to be good that year and Brandon Jacobs who they believe is still on the team.

To be fair he won't run into either of these people in the UK. These are the average Florida Retiree Giants fan, and casuals who don't know their own roster are in every fanbase.

El Seano posted:

In fairness looking at Cruz' recent stats I probably shouldn't worry too much about seeing that dance very often.

After 2011 Cruz was effectively the only WR on the team worth a drat and he works best from the slot, so he didn't get open much and started getting skittish because he'd get leveled after each catch. Last year his patellar tendon tore and he'll be lucky if he's half the player he was before then. Thankfully OBJ and hopefully Vereen out of the backfield will let Eli spread the ball around a bit and Cruz won't be so pressured.

I don't really care who you pick, personally If i had to choose another team to jump on right now I'd go with the Vikings, but I've always harbored a secret crush on Minnesota for some reason.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Rogue Elephant posted:

Cruz is expected to be in training camp from what I've heard. He didn't participate with the team in mini camp but he's running routes and all that. He's probably going to be a shell of his former self though :smith:

He's going to either be slow and gingerly on his routes or he's going to try too hard and re-injure himself on a cut, I just know it. It'll be depressing as poo poo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

I admit I never played center but I'd think there would be a lack of feeling of a hand on your taint that would give the shotgun snap away. You can't take a snap under center without some contact, you'd break your fingers all the time.

Maybe Glennon has a really soft touch, like a gentle taint breeze, so he didn't know

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 21, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

El Seano if you don't pick the Giants Eli will consider you a

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

Counterpoint, gently caress Eli Manning

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I'm a Giants fan so I'm obviously biased but I feel like the Packers are like the stereotype "gateway" team for tons of people like yourself. Long storied franchise, lots of success over a long period now yet only a couple of championships separated by a decade, its an extremely easy team to support because it feels so low effort. The fanbase is local diehards and scattered people throughout who liked watching Favre growing up. Honestly Rodgers is a better QB but Favre was the funnest player I've ever watched. The fanbase is friendly and welcoming with this bizarre wholesome smugness. No one hates the Packers! We're the Pack! Lombardi! Bart Starr! Favre! Its almost Cowboys America's Team levels of smug but far more subtle.

If you want stability and think a team that has a good chance will get you into it, Pick the Pack. If you want chaos, Pick the G-men. Nobody knows what is going to happen at any given moment and despite two recent super bowls we don't have any bandwagoners. You can have the recent success smug loyalty cuppled with the pessimistic fatalism of an actual bad team!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Elliot2lazy posted:

Ive had friends when they were younger go to spring training and he would demand them pay money for autographs. As if he doesn't have enough money.
Also when the league wanted to extend the season to 18 games he was part of the players association that wanted to get paid more. Again because apparently he doesnt make enough money.

Second point makes perfect sense. Football is dangerous, if they have to play extra games they should get paid appropriately. If he didn't demand more he'd be stupid.

first point seems snotty, but I wouldn't hold it against him as much as you seem to. There is a legitimate thing where people get autographs from players and then sell them, to the point where these people will actually use kids to get these autographs from players. It seems rude to deny kids but you don't know the interactions he's had with most fans, only what interactions he's had with your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chichevache posted:

If you want strong defense and fools getting trucked, then you might want to consider Seattle.

he eliminated all the Terrible things though

I think the most acceptable team in your list is the Chargers. They are good enough that they will win some games and possibly compete but you won't be looked at as a bandwagoner.
If not them, you have a white sox av so if that puts you in Chicago just go Bears and prepare to cry when they suck

• Locked thread