Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Why do YOU support this team?

Because I am a crazy-person. Also I am from Eastern PA and I like green and wanted to rebel against a family of Steelers fans.

What are their best and worst aspects?

Pros: Insanely loyal fanbase, generally pretty good, will score lots of points

Cons: Insanely insane fanbase, will flame out spectacularly in the first round of the playoffs, will allow lots of points

What is your teams Front Office/Owner like? What sets them apart from the rest of the league?

No one can get off Mr. Kelly's Wild Ride. I have learned to love it after a 1984-like experience. Also our owner is great. He won an Oscar!

Who is your teams biggest rival?

Cowboys.

Alternatively any team who beat us when we were Real Good in the Andy Reid Era so that'd be:

Buccaneers
Panthers
Patriots ( :argh: spygate!)
Saints
Cardinals
Packers (not really though)

Or any team who have won a Super Bowl so about two-thirds of the league.

Who is your teams star player? What makes them worth watching?

Good news! We have no star players left from last year, they're all new. Unless you think Jordan Matthews or Riley Cooper is a star player in which case uh...we have those guys.

On a more serious note, on offense it's probably Sam Bradford (please don't suck...), DeMarco Murray (betrayed the Cowboys) and uh, Zach Ertz?

On defense it's Connor Barwin. At least he seems to be everyone's consensus pick for best Eagles defender. Fletcher Cox too if you like big d-linemen.

Who is your favorite player on the team? Why?

Jon Dorenbos. Because no one ever trades/cuts long-snappers and over the last 3 years every time I've bought or received a jersey we cut/trade that player.

Non-joke answer: Connor Barwin or Sam Bradford or DeMarco Murray depending on how all 3 do this year.

Joke answer: TIM TEBOWWWWWWW

Who is your teams worst player?

Non-joke answer: Riley "The Racist" Cooper

Joke answer: TIM TEBOWWWWWWW

Who is your teams most promising player?

Nelson Agholar. He's a rookie but he seems pretty cool?

Which opposing player am I honor bound to wish death upon as a fan of this franchise?

All of them. See The Body Bag game, November 1990: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bag_Game

Alternatively, you can be Real Mad that Eli Manning is going to the Hall of Fame despite being crappy and having worse numbers than :mcnabb:

If you could sum up your team in any one photo, what would it be?

quote:

The Philadelphia Eagles are merely a series of booms and busts; the long run trend of the franchise is positive.

But the long run is a misleading guide to professional football. In the long run we are all dead

In case you can't tell that's our TE Who Is Not Zach Ertz, aka Brent Celek hurdling Ray Lewis. Ray Lewis was a really, really good linebacker for the Ravens and stuff like that doesn't happen. The other frame is a football hitting him in the face during warmups. It encapsulates the "sometimes we do really awesome things" and "sometimes we do really dumb things" aspect of the franchise.

Alternatively, chip_kellys_wild_ride.png.

What am I likely to see over the next season if I follow your side?

Chip Kelly's Wild Ride 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Also maybe a Super Bowl run.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Also everything GUISSEPPIE PIZZAPIE said is True and Good and you should cheer for us, we're really nice! :shepface:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Also the Eagles had one of, if not the, greatest comebacks ever against the Giants in 2010. Down by 21 points with 8 minutes left, the team went on to win by 7 after a dramatic punt return by DeSean Jackson. That play was rated the greatest play ever by fans a few years back.

It is one of the best football highlights ever, not just one of the best Eagles highlights, and if this video won't make you a fan, nothing will.

crap quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItL4YPnOaUc

official NFL highlight version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PufejLOdzs

Non-YouTube Version (aka the best one because it has the Eagles Radio guy calling it)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17idft_eagles-miracle-new-meadowlands_sport

The Wikipedia article can explain some of the context around it if you want more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_at_the_New_Meadowlands

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 20, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Seano posted:

My top 5 favorite aspects in rough order

1. Wide receivers making ridiculous catches/runs after catch
2. Quarterbacks getting their souls sacked out of them.
3. QB Scramble plays.
4. Inteceptions
5. Forced Fumbles.

Really what any newcomer to the game would like I expect, the flashy poo poo and the big plays.

I actually already saw this because I spent some time reading through all the NFL Lore articles on Wikipedia. That video does get you pretty hyped up.

Well the good news is regardless of whether you become an Eagles or Giants fan, the Miracle at the New Meadowlands will have a place of either love or hatred in your heart.

Also, I will say that our WRs tend to make good YAC (yards after catch). Kelly does a lot of designed QB runs too. Nothing is funnier than the QB taking the ball on an option play, running 7 yards and dropping sliding to the ground in fear. And last year we lead the league in turnovers so if you like fumbles and interceptions, this is the team for you! :v:

And if you like the flashy stuff, nothing will top WE NEED MORE POINTS 1999 for its absurdity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

If we add that you

6. Need a team that is on at a reasonable hour for you to watch
7. Want a playoff team

then I'd say your best choices are:

Ravens (2, 4, 5, 6, 7 all fulfilled)
Eagles (4, 5, 6, 7 with poential claims to 1, 3)
Panthers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and maybe even 7!)
Buccs (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, maybe 7 in a couple of years)

Don't just pick a popular team!!

I'd argue the Giants are a potential playoff team assuming the rest of the team doesn't decide to play with fireworks or do the Tom Coughlin approved workout of breaking rocks with your skull.

Obviously the Eagles are the best choice though because you'd get to join the Eagles Nest (a name I literally just thought up for all the TFF Eagles posters). Maybe we can get gang tags.

Plus the offseason can be more fun than the regular season. Would any of the other teams make something like this?

El Seano posted:

So do Giants fans still have to find Eli lovable when he somehow throws 5 picks in a single game or that when we throw him under the bus? I didn't think it'd be possible to throw 5 interceptions in a game, surely by the 3rd one they'd just go with the back up QB?

Any fans care to write up:

Atlanta Falcons
NY Jets
Houston Texans
Tampa Bay Buccameers

and a non Cam Newton-centric write up of reasons to like the Panthers (sorry if this is a noob request)

I just saw this so I'll try and do a little blurb for each team. It's probably not going to do them justice.

Falcons - Solid QB and WR but a horrific defense and now have a new coach. Could potentially become really good if the new coach can figure out how to get the Falcons back to where they were in 2012 or so.

NY Jets - Basically just swapped coaches with the Bills. There's...not too much in the way of excitement there, but Revis is back. And he's really good at generating turnovers.

Texans - A Pro Tier pick for a new team. They've got JJ Watt, who's one of the best players around, a relatively young team and if they can ever figure out how to beat Andrew Luck they'll have good chances for a deep playoff run.

Buccs - Do you like starting over from scratch? Because the Buccs sure do! They're on their 3rd coach in 5? 6? years and haven't had any real sustained success since they won the Super Bowl after the Raiders forgot to change the playcalls when they traded their coach to the Buccs. No one will accuse you of being a bandwagoner. On the downside, Jameis Winston is kind of a lovely human being.

Panthers - Somehow made the playoffs last year and their game against the Cardinals was either the funniest or saddest game I've ever seen. Between them and the Falcons it's a question of if you want a team that has generally shown some flashes of brilliance but have yet to really put it all together or do you want a team that was good a few years back but has fallen on hard times? Also Cam Newton really is good at the whole QBing thing, he's more fun that Matt Ryan.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 20, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Eli won us two super bowls. Eli will receive nothing but love for the rest of his Giants tenure, and we will go out of our way to blame everything else instead of Eli.

This is going to come back to bite me in future GDTs and such but here is a handy flowchart I made for you

This is a good flowchart.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Seano posted:

At the moment it's more Giants than Packers.

It's looking hard to resist:
- a retarded QB that likes to throw the ball at the other teams defenders (but it isn't his fault)
- a nine fingered DE who according to the front page of Yahoo! NFL "will tell you he made a mistake"
- a WR who likes to catch things one handed
- and furthermore a WR who likes to salsa dance after TDs.

I mean what is that? Why?

Yeah he probably won't be doing that this season because he suffered a horrifying leg injury in the game against the Eagles last year. Just playing this year would be awesome for him.

ODB should probably do some nuts stuff though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rogue Elephant posted:

Cruz is expected to be in training camp from what I've heard. He didn't participate with the team in mini camp but he's running routes and all that. He's probably going to be a shell of his former self though :smith:

Oh awesome, I'm glad to hear his leg's healed up. Watching him writing on the ground like that was probably one of the worst things I've ever seen during a game. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Seano posted:

So it's down to the Packers and Giants. I'm just reading up on both of their histories lately to try and help me separate them. Both of them tick a lot of the boxes I'm after:

- Good/Great and entertaining QB
- Great WR
- Defensive ability
- East coast team likely to be watchable each weekend at a reasonable time in the UK.

The history of both sides is very entertaining from reading about Favre's heroics to realizing how special Lawrence Taylor must have been to be the only defensive player to have won MVP in 30+ years. I watched a documentary of Favre recently that made me kinda like the whole Packers idea a bit more, he just seems pretty likable and surprisingly funny....but then so is Eli Manning so I'm kind of torn plus I like the idea of making excuses for my teams star player all year.

Even though I'm an Eagles fan the Packer fanbase is so monolithic and annoying I cannot in good faith recommend picking them. Go with the Giants, you'll have fun watching ODB. Plus there will be more primetime games so the GDTs will hopefully be more fun for you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Benne posted:

The Seahawks are a historically mediocre franchise that recently got good and attracted some of the dumbest bandwagon motherfuckers on the planet

What EPL team does that translate to?

A TFF/Ray Parlour joint thread providing EPL/NFL analogs would be interesting because I know almost nothing about the EPL and would like to know more but require all knowledge to be put in american football terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Seano posted:

So is it always this fun to be a Giants fan? How many times will I see them lose a lead this season?

pretty much constantly. sunday night was nothing special and the giants excel at sloppy clownball games.

• Locked thread