Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
B sounds good, though the Afghan LP is also Nestorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Kayten posted:

Oh sweet, where from? Ufa or somewhere nearby?

Ufa is in Bashkiria/Bashkortostan itself, so no, a bit further away, but still in the Urals. I'm from Yekaterinburg. I'll need to check to see what province that would be in the game again. I know some people from Ufa, though haven't been in touch with them directly of late.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

advokat posted:

Ufa is in Bashkiria/Bashkortostan itself, so no, a bit further away, but still in the Urals. I'm from Yekaterinburg. I'll need to check to see what province that would be in the game again. I know some people from Ufa, though haven't been in touch with them directly of late.

Oh sweet, E-burg.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
D Lithuania sounds fun

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Kayten posted:

Oh sweet, E-burg.

Commonly pronounced Yo-burg, even though that makes no sense at all. :v:

I have to ask, are you an ethnic Russian (or Bashkir, or...)? If you have relatives here.

Also, to be at least a bit on topic. I can't help noticing you mentioned Charlemagne converting to Catharism in the OP as one of the interesting scenarios that could happen. Did that already happen by the time you set it up or was this an amazing coincidence?

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

advokat posted:

Commonly pronounced Yo-burg, even though that makes no sense at all. :v:

I have to ask, are you an ethnic Russian (or Bashkir, or...)? If you have relatives here.

Also, to be at least a bit on topic. I can't help noticing you mentioned Charlemagne converting to Catharism in the OP as one of the interesting scenarios that could happen. Did that already happen by the time you set it up or was this an amazing coincidence?

Tatar/Ukrainian/Russian with some Chuvash in there. Got family in Ufa and Kazan, but I haven't been back to Russia in like a decade. Never been to Kazan, but saw Ufa quite a lot when I was younger.

Oh yeah, the Charlemagne thing was just a coincidence. I didn't even notice it myself until I started writing the first Batemann update to see how far back the Catharism goes. I am now eagerly awaiting Mongol Egypt.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Heh, a classic mix (I'm Russian plus Jewish myself, at least if I avoid going too far back; if I don't avoid that I'd probably find a decent amount of Ugro-Finns eventually). And Kazan is definitely high on my to-visit list. Might actually get to go there this year or the next if everything pans out, as our university recently set up an archaeological expedition there.

Mongol Egypt is a good deal more likely than Cathar Charlemagne. And if it's Zunist Mongol Egypt, you can even say the locals eventually put their own spin on it...

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
D! I don't think I've seen an LP about Romuva yet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My father's-father's side of the family came from the Volga region of Russia so I have a good mix of Russian and German ancestry in me, among other things.

Oh and Kayten, I got PMs.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A second set of reformed Pagans sounds rad, so go Lithuania

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

You must pay for stealing Afghanistan! :argh:

For your penance you must play as Socatra!

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Not that I mind the Soccotra craze, but do Nestorians actually have much of anything to their name? Mechanics-wise. Obviously they don't have land.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nope, basically the only interesting Christians are Catholics. Fratecelli, Orthodox, and Cathar have one neat gimmick apiece and the rest get basically nothing.

E: also if we're horde modding, might as well make sure they pick Zun for sure. No point making the mod if they just go Sunni anyway.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 15, 2015

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You must pay for stealing Afghanistan! :argh:

For your penance you must play as Socatra!

Stealing Afghanistan AND Nestorians. I'm the worst. Also, It seems to be doing far better without me for a hundred years than with me.

Side note, for all you Socotra-voting weirdos, what do you guys think of modding it to be a merchant republic? Or should I just stick with feudalism?

Kayten fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 15, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merchant Republic sounds good, it'd be a change of pace. We should probably fit one of each government type in before this is over.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Kayten posted:

Stealing Afghanistan AND Nestorians. I'm the worst.

Side note, for all you Socotra-voting weirdos, what do you guys think of modding it to be a merchant republic? Or should I just stick with feudalism?

I don't mind either way, though you haven't played a merchant republic yet, so that could be fun. Plus it might make sense in that you're a tiny island nation that's somehow remained distinct from everyone else, ala Venice.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Merchant Republic or bust!

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Nestorian Soccotra merchant republic would be great.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i've always loved socotra, ever since i was a kid reading maps for fun

b, b, a thousand times b

do what you want with their government

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
We're gonna swap the history and film updates for the last little French bit.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
Film Update 12 - French New Wave

So, I've talked up the French New Wave throughout the French film updates, but I haven't actually recommended anything from it. Let's fix that.

The New Wave was a film movement, started in the late 1950s, as a rejection of pre-war French cinema's focus on quality and the past. Post-war French films focused very much on the glory days of the past, handled by expert directors, and written in a very novel-like fashion. Andre Bazin, a prominent film critic and owner of Cahiers de Cinema, criticized this "Tradition of Quality", claiming it stifles innovation in the medium. Cahiers eventually gave the start to many directors associated with the movement, such as Jean-Luc Godard (A bout de souffle), Claude Chabrol (Le Beau Serge) and Francois Truffaut (Les Quatre Cents Coups). Truffaut in particular was a big advocate of the "auteur theory", a theory that a film is the creative vision of the director, an opinion considered radical at the time. In a sense, despite the highly collaborative nature of film, the director's voice was distinct enough to carry through the process, rendering him the "author" of the movie (think Stanley Kubrick). You can find an English translation of his famous essay "A Certain Tendency of the French Cinema" here.

So we know what the New Wave movement was against. But what was it for? Well, the underlying current of the movement is a focus on social issues, technical innovation, and above all, directorial control. The directors, working on very tight budgets, essentually made what are considered indie features. Most of these were shot on location, since studio time was expensive, with long takes, since film was expensive.

And it worked. It worked wonders. French film became much more emotionally honest. Art films got a lot of exposure, compared to massive studio projects (think Ben-Hur or King Kong). Hell, the French New Wave inspired filmmakers world-wide to make their own movies. For example, Hollywood filmmakers that claim the New Wave as an inspiration include Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather), Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction), Martin Scorcese (Goodfellas) and Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom). It also influenced Lars von Trier (Melancholia), Bernardo Bertalucci (Last Tango in Paris) and Werner Herzog (Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans).

So, let's take a look at one of the defining films of the movement.

Francois Truffault's 400 Blows(Les Quatre Cents Coups) tells a pretty simple story of a troubled youth. Antoine Doinel is a normal 12-year old kid that screws around in school, ditches classes, and even runs away from home a few times. He is nothing but a nuissance to his mother and stepfather, and he's an annoying little poo poo that'll never make anything of himself to his teachers. We follow Doinel around as he just sort of lives, sneaking out of school to see the movies with his friend, or making a little shrine to Honore de Balzac after reading his work. He isn't particularly well-understood, or even cared for by anyone in his life, and he drifts around.

You know, honestly, sometimes you watch a film, and about halfway through you think to yourself "Yep, that's art right there. That's beautiful". 400 Blows is one of those films. For me, at least. It's just so honest. Part of it is because it's largely autobiographical, telling the story of Truffaut's childhood before he fell in love with movies and cinema saved his life. You really feel for this kid, really get that he doesn't quite fit into the world of these adults.

Anyway, I highly recommend you watch it. Find a nephew or a younger brother, and let them watch it too. They'll appreciate it.

P.S. If you're interested in more information on the French New Wave and more movie recommendations, check out this site.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 18, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
As a former film major I really enjoy reading these little tidbits of history.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
I was supposed to do the last French history update today, but I played fifty years of Socotra instead. It's certainly something.

Also, do you guys have some goals in mind for the weird "Christian" merchant republic?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kayten posted:

I was supposed to do the last French history update today, but I played fifty years of Socotra instead. It's certainly something.

Also, do you guys have some goals in mind for the weird "Christian" merchant republic?

Seize the Maldives and Sri Lanka. This is your priority, all other territory is just to build strength for this.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 19, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Secure the lands below you and form a real Somalian Pirate Republic :pirate:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Acquire plunder, booty and more plunder. In that order. Also form the nestorian holy order.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
The Kingdom Republic of Prester Pirate John

In all seriousness, just go wild. Playing as an Indian Ocean Merchant Republic is going to be different enough.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 20, 2015

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
...would modding Nestorians to allow them to raid be against the idea of this LP?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Merchant Republics are already raiders in all but name, they don't need the actual pillaging.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Rodyle posted:

Merchant Republics are already raiders in all but name, they don't need the actual pillaging.

Absolutely. Pirate Robber Barons are bad enough as it is.

Update... eventually. These ones have a bit of a twist that takes more time to write up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rodyle posted:

Norse Merchant Republics sending raiders to sack Venice every now and then just invented the hostile takeover a bit early.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
History Update 12 - gently caress England

We last left off with John, King of England (strange how there were no other English kings named John after him), who managed to piss away all of his French territories to Phillip Augustus. We'll pick up the last two hundred years of Normandy here.

Massive tracts of land pissed away by King John

John Lackland continued his family's tradition of being afuck-up that no one liked (noted exceptions being a William and two of the Henries, but no one liked them anyway). He lost the Duchy of Normandy, along with most of Angevin possessions in France (sans Aquitane) to Philip Augustus of France. By 1223, Normandy was the in the personal demesne of the King of France. At this point, Phillip kicked the bucket.

St. Louis IX, King of France 1226-1270, the only canonized king of France

His son, Louis 'the Lion' VIII, managed to rule France for all of three years before dying of dysentery. His son, Louis IX, managed to stay on the throne for a while longer. At this point, the Albigensian crusade, started during the reign of Philip Augustus, was in full swing, cutting a bloody swath through the Cathars in the south (see history update 6). Louis didn't participate in that one himself, being only fifteen when his mother signed the truce that ended it, but he would go on to crusade in the disasterous Seventh and Eighth Crusades, the latter of which would eventually kill him. With dysentery.

Louis would war with England, as any good Frenchman, over the lands that Phillip Augustus took from John. Eventually, in 1259, he signed a treaty with Henry III, King of England and John's son, which confirmed all lost lands as French, but kept Aquitane as English territory, if Henry swore fealty to Louis. This later came back to bite the French in the rear end as one of the major causes of the Hundred Years' War.

Louis was well-regarded by his subject as a just and holy king. He outlawed usury, burned a lot of Jewish religious books and expanded the Inquisition in France. A mixed bag, overall, if pious.

Philip 'the Iron King' IV and I of France and Navarre, King of France 1285-1314, King of Navarre 1284-1305, the one that played CK2

Louis' son, Philip III of France, was a weak king and died of dysentery. His son, Philip IV, rolled back feudal rights, centralized the French state, and placed dynasty members on the thrones of Naples and Hungary. After owing a lot of money to the Jews, as well as the Knights Templar, he seized their assets and banished both. Died of a stroke.

His successors were brief and many. They didn't last more than a few years: Louis X (2 years, pneumonia), John I (5 days, born after his father's death), Phillip V (5 years, dysentery), Charles IV (6 years, unspecified causes). In this period of weakness of the crown, the Norman barons pushed the Norman charter on France, rendering Norman judgements final. The King fo France could not overturn a judgement made in Rouen.

Philip 'the Fortunate' VI of France, King of France 1328-1350, first Valois king of France

Eventually, Philip VI of house Valois took the throne. Philip wasn't Charles' direct descendant, he didn't have any. The closest male member was actually Edward III of England, King of England, who was Charles' nephew. According to the French law at the time, however, inheritance did not pass through the female line, rendering Edward ineligible. Philip, Charles' cousin, took the throne in 1328, apparently with Edward's blessing. However, after a series of incidents where each monarch was trying his hardest to piss the other one off, Philip declared war on Edward in 1337. The war would last 116 years, and would end up dragging into it the following countries: Castille, Scotland, Genoa, Bohemia and Aragon on the French side; and Burgundy, Portugal, Navarre, Flanders and Aquitane on the English side. The fighting went back and forth, for a while, until in 1348 the Black Death arrived and killed a third of France. This heavily destabilized the country, and in 1350, while dealing with all of this, Philip died.

Charles 'the Wise' V of France, King of France 1364-1380, not a fuckup

Philip's son, John II of France, continued his father's tradition of losing battles to England, and mixed it up by losing to some homegrown rebellions. His son, Charles V of France started rolling back his predecessors' fuckups. After having to deplete the royal treasury to pay the ransom for John, he managed to regain the money necessary, and built the first professional standing army on the continent. He finally fought back against the English, and took back the lost French lands by 1380.

His son, Charles 'the Mad' VI of France, was a minor when he inherited, leading to four of his uncles governing in his stead. Until he turned 21. Eventually, he wrestled control of the state from them, but by then they managed to piss away all the money that Charles V had collected. At this point, however, Charles lost his poo poo. He went mad, and killed four of his knights. He never quite regained his sanity, which led to another regency. A civil war started between Charles' brother and the Duke of Burgundy. This wasn't helping the war against the English, and neither was the fact that Charles signed a treaty that named Henry V of England as his true heir. The man was crazy, what do you want. He died in 1422.

Jeanne d'Arc, the Maid of Orleans

Charles VII inherited a pretty lovely France. For starters, he wasn't the only named king. Henry VI of England, the one-year old son of Henry V, was also proclaimed king. As a result, Charles remained away from Paris for much of his earlier reign, mostly staying at Bourge in central France, as the north was occupied by the English.

Charles' fortunes turned in 1429, when a young woman from a small village demanded to see the King, claiming visions of saints and angels. Charles had tested her by dressing as one of his courtiers, to see if she could identify him. She did so immediately, addressing him as "the Noble Dauphin". She then had a private conversation with the King, where she told him secrets he had only told God in silent prayer. Filled with confidence, he sent her to Orleans, which was under seige by the English:

"After years of one humiliating defeat after another, both the military and civil leadership of France were demoralized and discredited. When the Dauphin Charles granted Joan's urgent request to be equipped for war and placed at the head of his army, his decision must have been based in large part on the knowledge that every orthodox, every rational option had been tried and had failed. Only a regime in the final straits of desperation would pay any heed to an illiterate farm girl who claimed that the voice of God was instructing her to take charge of her country's army and lead it to victory"
-Stephen W. Richey, Joan of Arc, A Military Appreciation

Joan managed to lift the seige, and the Dauphin managed to chase the English into Burgundy-controlled territory. After a major victory over the English at Patay, Charles was finally crowned at Reims cathedral in 1429. Jeanne was captured by the Burgundians, who gave her over to the English. They tried her for heresy, found her guilty, and burned her at the stake in 1431.

The momentum of the war was already on the French side, and by 1435, the Burgundian faction had surrendered. Charles allowed them to come over to the French side, and over the next twenty years, he pushed the English into the sea. He died in 1461 of infection, passing the crown to his son, Louis XI.

Louis 'the Universal Spider' XI of France, King of France 1461-1483

Louis XI was a lovely dude to his father. He constantly plotted in court, so much so that his father sent him away to Dauphine. When his father tried to make him see reason by sending armies after him, he fled to Burgundy, where he spent time with his father's greatest enemy, Philip the Good of Burgundy. He refused his father's plea to visit him on his deathbed, and instead just waited for the old man to die. After his ascent to the throne, he promptly gave a lot of money to Philip in order to let him prepare a crusade. In return, Philip gave several territories, including Amiens. Philip's son, Charles the Bold, then the Count of Charolais, considered this spending his inheritance, and threw his lot in with rebels, known as the League of the Public Weal (honestly, just a Crown Authority Revolt). Busy with other things, Louis conceeded a few things to the rebels, including the Duchy of Normandy to his brother, Charles of France. Eventually, he realized that this was a bad idea, given how close Normandy was to Paris, and talked Charles into exchanging it for Aquitane in 1469.

In order to prevent Normandy from being used as a political tool against the crown, Louis had the ducal ring smashed against an anvil. From then on, Normandy no longer was a true feudal duchy.

We'll end it here, with the death of any semblence of power in Normandy. RIP Duchy of Normandy, 911-1469. It was a good run.

TL;DR: Centralizing France + Hundred Years war

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

'The Universal Spider' is a pretty great nickname/concept. i'd worship that god

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

oystertoadfish posted:

'The Universal Spider' is a pretty great nickname/concept. i'd worship that god

And look at his hat! Abandoning the crown for a bowler. A bold move.

Finishing pirate update. Give me an hour or two.

Edit: I lied. Needs more work. Update tomorrow.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Creat was pretty impressive, but how did he manage to rule for 164 years? :psyduck:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Moinkmaster posted:

Creat was pretty impressive, but how did he manage to rule for 164 years? :psyduck:

I think the game adds all the time from the beginning of the game to the "first" person you play as in a dynasty, so when you switch it gives you some crazy numbers.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how the real history of France has way more people just loving poo poo up and being assholes for no reason than the game does.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Could you even DO a Hundred Years War in CK2? I mean, the bookmark's there, but you wouldn't have the Cassus belli(s?) or the longevity. Even with the fact that the war wasn't continuous, there's still the matter of declaring.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
A We will return the Patriarch to Alexandria. With a strong King the world will know Gondar has strength even in these days of tribulation. Plus it allows LOTR jokes to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

RabidWeasel posted:

I like how the real history of France has way more people just loving poo poo up and being assholes for no reason than the game does.

The game also has a larger variety of names. Everyone here's named Henry, Philip, Charles or Louis. Also, everyone dies of dysentery. I guess they're playing Oregon Trail.

But yeah, the game actually models some of the stuff in England and France in the Middle Ages really well, like Crown Authority revolts, some of the inheritance shenanigans, and dying of illness at realy inconvenient times. Kudos, Paradox.

Kayten fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread