Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

signalnoise posted:

This is absolutely relevant. I am addicted to novelty.

This is easy to say, but takes a lot of restraint to do things about.

The "NEW! SHINY! MINE!" chemicals are very real, and they feel really good.

Acknowledge that, and try to get the same feeling from other places. And every once in a while, budget for a new shiny thing.

To poke at your budgeting a bit, I'll ask a few questions about an area that people usually overspend on: Food.
- How much do you spend on food each month? (Separate out Restaurants and Groceries)
- What sort of groceries do you buy?
- How much of your food spoils, or gets thrown out?
- How many times per week to you eat out or have fast food?
- Can you or your wife cook? Are you willing to learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

FCKGW posted:

My suggestion is to hop on mint, pour over the last few months of expenses and spend s couple hours hand categorizing everything. Getting a strong base view of your spending can be a eye opening experience.

And if you're open to it, post non-personal information here. Simple things like sharing Mint's pie chart for your spending for a few months might point to some obvious expense you could curb.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Includes phone

Even with phone, internet and cable TV that would seem high.

Edit: Do you actually need a land line? I assume you both have cells. My wife and I have owned a home for 5 years without one.

And if you really need one, threaten to switch providers and milk a promotional deal out of them for 6 months.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Veskit posted:

If it's a business line then why is it in your budget? Aren't your business finances separate from your personal ones?

I'm not up on his business situation, but business finances need to be completely separate from personal finances or else bad things will happen if the IRS audits you or a lawsuit ever comes up.

If you're just sloshing money around between accounts, you may end up losing your personal money if your business gets sued or owes taxes.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Want to buy a bunch of Everblight pieces off me for 25% of retail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

il serpente cosmico posted:

That makes me want to cry a little bit

student loan debt like that is as :911: as you can get in this generation

• Locked thread