Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Pulp you say? I think I have already an idea:

e X fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Loki_XLII posted:

Dang, a lot of people are talking about gangsters, which puts a damper on my idea of "guy from Axe Gang in Kung Fu Hustle". I'll need to find some other source to rip off.

Ah, I say stick with it. I'll for a complete Madrake the Magician ripoff, a stage magician who uses illusions to fight evil because Lee Falk is amazing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Magnus Mandelbaum

Growing up in poverty as the oldest son of a newly immigrated family in New York, Magnus developed an infatuation with stage magic very early, when a magic kit inside a local toy store's window became the focal point of all his unfulfilled childhood desires and dreams. So, when he eventually started working on his own, of course it was the first thing he bought with his own money. And it opened up a whole new world for him.

First he played in bars, more as pastime and to impress ladies, then soon small venues when his unbelievable tricks started to pull larger and larger crowds. What started as a childhood dream easily became his major source of income. He had a natural talented for sleight of hand and misdirection, keeping the important things hidden. But above all stood his ability for entertainment. Any stage was his stage and he could make any audience his audience. Stage magic was his tool, but his true strength was could really make the people believe. When you left "The Marvelous Mandelbaum's Menagerie of Magic", you truly believed that men could be vanish into thin air, a zoo could be kept in a top hat and that the star himself could take a cannon to the gut and emerge unscathed.

However, such a reputation might actually end up being a problem if you live in a world were the supernatural is actually reality. As his reputation as a magician grew and his name became nationally known and associated with the mystical arts, people began to seek him out for advice and assistance with the rare encounters with the paranormal. At first Magnus was clueless and overwhelmed, even frightened in the face of true magic, but eventually, he figured out that even wizards and monsters are susceptible to trickery and that meant he could work his kind of magic on them. Over the years, his magic show evolved into a front of traveling the world, fighting evil wherever he encountered it with, in his own way, while always maintaining the proper postures a life entertainment demands.

His international adventures and exploits eventuality reached even the League of Nations, this prestigious organization of all the countries on earth and he frequently works with them to foil the larger threats of the things that go bump in the night, those that no mortal can hope to face alone.

High Concept: Crime Fighting Stage Magician
The Art of Illusion: Smoke and Mirrors
Intrigue: It's not just a profession, it's a lifestyle!
Action:More than meets the Eye
Omega: Showboating? Never even heard of it!

Mode:
The Art Of Illusion +3
Intrigue +2
Action: +1

pre:
       The Art Of Illusion	Intrigue	Action

+5	Athletics, Notice
	Deceive

+4	Burglary, Stealth

+3	Rapport, Occult, 

+2				Contacts									

+1						Combat, Physique, 
                                                Provoke, Vehicles
Points: The Art Of Illusion 10 (Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, Notice, Rapport, Occult, Stealth) + Intrigue 9 + Action 9 + Specialized Deceive 2 = 30

Stress:
Physical: [][][]
Mental: [][][][]

Stunts

Sleight of Hand: You can pay a Fate point to establish that you put something into someone's pocket or took it from them at an earlier time without them noticing.

Escape Artist: No restraints, bonds or prisons can hold you against your will.

Trust in Me, Shut your Eyes:
You can use Rapport to hypnotize people
You get +2 when you use Rapport to Hypnotize people

Better than the Real Thing:
You can use Deceive to imitate any occult effect or event with stage magic, prepared props and misdirection

e X fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 2, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
And done! With minutes to spare, I finish my app.

Serf posted:

FROM THE FILES OF THE LEAGUE
For all the people who have submitted apps so far: tell me about the first monster your character hunted. You may not be a professional monster hunter, but every Agent has hunted at least one supernatural being, either before joining the League or as part of a previous mission. What sort of monster or being was it? How did you bring it down? Did you have any help along the way?

Ahh, I remember it as if it was yesterday, the night the veil was lifted from eyes and the true nature of the world was revealed to me. I was still just becoming a local celebrity at that time, working in different nightclubs all around New York, when one day, a young woman approached me after my show. Ignored by the proper authorities and convinced that my illusion craft surely were the sign of true power, she came to me with her worries about her fiancee, who, up and about, had left her for another woman. One night apparently, on his way home, he had but a short run in with an fancy lady, who stayed at the best addresses in Manhattan and who traveled in a car with curtains everywhere. Not only did he spent immediately the night with her, but he broke up any contact to my fan the next day and moved in with her into one of New York's best hotel suits.

I could see why no one would be willing to listen to the young girl, as there apparent to be hardly anything unusual going on here. A poor young man, taken in by an older lady, hardly a crime, if highly scandalous. However, the young woman swore up and down that her fiancee was her one true love and that nothing short of witchcraft could have persuaded him to such rush move. Hence why she had come to me. Surely I could help to lift the dark spell over her man. Obviously, I thought there was little I could do, not to speak of not really seeing any supernatural element to it. But the young lady was hard broke and sat crying in my dressing room and I am nothing but a gentlemen. I too come from humble beginnings, so i know that often, the boys are missing a strong father figure in their life. So I decided to visit the boy an his mistress in their hotel, have a heart to heart with him and maybe convince him to at least let his former girl down easy.

I went immediately, alone, trying to get this highly embarrassing affair over with as fast as possible. It was early in the night, so I figured it was still appropriate for me to visit. It was easy enough to get past the hotel personal and their suit door, what are some simply locks to me. But what I found inside that hotel room changed my life forever!

Not anticipating me, I got them in flagranti: the lady had the poor boy in the bed, her teeth deep into her neck, draining the very life from him. My parents had told me such stories from the old country, yet I couldn't believe my eyes: Vampires in Manhatten Back than I had little experience with these pest s of the nights, so as the lady flew towards me, ready to rip me into pieces, I stood there, frozen in fear and confusion. Soon she put me in an inescapable hold with her inhuman strength.

Inescapable that is, for anybody that isn't the Marvelous Mandelbaum! I used by Escape Artist's skills to wriggle myself from her arms and, using the moment of surprise on her, pulled my magic wand from a hidden pocket in my sleeves and rammed in into her heart, remembering the stories of my mother and father. And really, she crumbled into dust before my very eyes, with a faint fog disappearing out into the cold night air. So I suddenly found myself with a very confused young man and a huge, unpaid hotel bill.

And this is the story of how I slew my first creature of the night, rescued my first innocent from a fate worth then death and found myself with my first inexplainable huge amount of money owed!

e X fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 2, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Just in time for my returned internet, sweet.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I got one question though, what tense are we supposed to use in our posts?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, I will go with it from my next post onward.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn't that exactly the kind of thing you would spent a Fate point for?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Hey Serf, if I want to make sure the pirates don't hear me talking to the tower, what do I have to roll?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Contemporary picture of Magnus piloting the Ultima Graf :

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, sorry, for the AWOL, I was on vacation for two weeks and the Internet situation was not what I expected. I am back now and should be able to post later today.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, I read through the stuff I missed, but I am not 100% clear on the situation. As I understand it, Yvette are on the bridge and just docked the airship, Frank, Arthur and Magnus are in the hangar and Dhiren boarded the fleeing pirate plane. Is that correct?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, I mostly sent Magnus of to do something else so I could post something and not appear to be back to inactivity again.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I hope it doesn't come of as assholeish that Magnus just disappears from the action, but there wasn't much he could do to secure the plane and I wanted to keep posting. I also went ahead and wrote the "One of the guys" aspect off, since he lost his pirate outfit.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Somebody refresh my mind, fate points do return at the end of a scene, right?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I feel a little lost, is there any pre-existing lore to this world or do we/ Serf make it up as we go along? Because I didn't really intended anything with the layline map, it just seemed like a natural thing to ask for.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It would be great if we could continue. I had a couple of busy month and had to drop out of all my pbp games, I'd love it if we could continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, are we back on?

• Locked thread