Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Tentatively interested. Just to confirm, are we looking at the '20s? '30s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alright, have an idea for a French monster-hunter lady, but still working on the details. Probably going to be one who has a natural gift for magic. Definitely a work in progress.

Name: Yvette Bellamont
Concept: Monster Hunter Finding Her Way

Modes:
Good (+3): Sorceress
-Focused (+4): Will, Notice, Transdimensional Summoning (1). Arcane Energies (1), Pyromancy (1)

Fair (+2): Banter
-Focused (+3): Provoke, Empathy (1), Rapport (1)

Average (+1): Action
-Focused (+2): Vehicles (1), Athletics (1), Combat (1)

Sorceress Weird Mode: Pyromancy (Attack, Create an Advantage, Overcome), Aeromancy (Defend, Create an Advantage, Overcome), Will, Notice, Occult (4 points)
Mechanical Note: Technically could make Pyromancy and Aeromancy into a general Xmancy skill, but feel like this way has more flavor/story potential.

Stunts/Mega-Stunts:

Ley Line Inspiration: Can use Arcane Energies to create advantages, assuming there is enough time and focus to open her mind's eye to the natural ley line flows.

Symbol-Weaved Vest: Armor:1, can use Aeromancy to defend against attacks involving projectiles.

The Worker's Struggle: +2 to Rapport when dealing with anyone who would be part of the working class.

Sorceress' Power (3 stunts):

-Unleash: Weapon:2 for magical effects, Weapon:4 at a cost.
-Collateral Damage: Can take Collateral Consequences to increase Aeromancy or Pyromancy rolls, gain bonus based on level of consequence (+2 Mild, +4 Moderate, etc)

6 benefits - 5 = 1 extra fate point for GM's pool

Stress Boxes:
Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Aspects Summary:
Concept: Monster Hunter Finding Her Way
Sorceress: From The Line of Morgue Le Faye
Banter: Makes Her Words Count
Action: If All Else Fails, There's Always Guns
Omega: La Flamme de Lyon

Yvette grew up being told she was something special, that she had an important story to tell. Her parents told her that she was going to be part of something very big, something the world hadn't seen yet. She was going to fight alongside others just like herself, in the Grand Worker's Revolution! Also, that she was part of a maternal line of people who could use and understand the arcane energies of the world. Her parents were very much focused on the former, while she was more focused on the latter. Luckily for her, while her parents were out fighting the good fight for worker's rights, her aunt taught her the importance of understanding and manipulating the mystical forces, along with the morality that goes along with it. Her parents' political opinions calmed during the war, along with the need to stay safe. Like many children of the day, she lost her father to the war, something that devastated her mother and created a rift between them that nearly didn't recover.

It certainly didn't help that Yvette was spending most of her time trying to find a way to bring her father back. Magic had all sorts of power, certainly it could bring someone back from the dead. Luckily for Yvette, her aunt Cecile was there when Yvette was trying to mess with the walls between life and death. There were rules for magic, and you followed them. Not because someone told you to, but because the consequences were dire if you followed through. Yvette's tiny portal to another side of the world only let through a single spirit, but the damage that one spirit caused nearly killed everyone she still had. When the spirit was banished, Yvette finally let her wishes to bring her father back go. She moved on, making a promise to keep his will alive through her own actions. She moved on to work in exorcisms and seances, although not the hoaxes one expects with them. After a while, the exorcisms became actual monsters with physical form. As she kept fighting, the tasks kept getting bigger and bigger until she finally found the cause of them. An arcanodevice that could sustain portals indefinitely, made by a man calling himself Le Corbeau. While she stopped the device, Le Corbeau escaped and there was a neighborhood in Lyon left in purifying flames.

She needed a way out, and luckily for her, the League of Nations called with a assignment for someone with her skillset.

----

Another question, did you want to avoid wizardly spellslinging of elements all around? Or is that generally cool as a form or subset of magic that PCs should be using? I can run either way, but didn't want to work too much on stunts/weird skills before at least checking if I'm way off here.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 22, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Stunt Talk:

Rough and Tumble: I'd stick with putting the no ranged weapons part as an aspect or something, so that it's easier to trigger for fate points and doesn't end up not really getting used anyways. Refusing to use ranged weapons when you've got a big bonus to unarmed is like saying you'll only fire lasers when you have a death laser gun and a stick in general. However, in specific situations, using a random gun might be really useful for a single shot, and having to get over whatever it is with the ranged weapons in the moment could be an interesting compel situation.

Heroic Spirit: So, that's a 3 benefit megastunt that makes you tougher against most attacks? It works mechanically, but if you're looking for heroic grit, I'd maybe switch the armors to some sort of Spend Fate Point to either clear a mild consequence at any time or be able to clear one once per session or whatever. Armor is up-front toughness. You can split the armor up into armor: 1 and +1 to defense using Will against mental attacks, maybe? It seems mechanically alright, but conceptually, it seems a little confused.

Academic Occultist: This is what the Occult skill does in general. If you want a stunt that shows you're more on the book-learning side, you could go with the more boring +2s or +1s to some combination of Overcome and/or Create an Advantage with Occult as long as your character isn't required to actually arcanely activate the device/etc in some way.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Transcribed and translated from Yvette Bellamont, Questionnaire on Initial Supernatural Hunts:

Have you heard of a lindworm? Somewhere between snakes and dragons, and let me tell you, when you have one of those putain bête (transcriber's note: use your imagination) in your city, they don't want to leave peaceful. This one was not very big, perhaps the size of a two-story building, but was underground. It made it easier to fight but harder to find while going down there. I had the help of my aunt, of course since it was my first hunt, and she had the help of an underground local: A dwarf by the name of Montagne. I don't mean a short person, I mean a dwarf. He owed my aunt a favor, one which I did not ask more about, and between the three of us, tracking a giant snake-dragon was not too difficult.

However, Montagne was more of a Colline when it came to fighting. The little creature tried, and got one good shot in before the lindworm ate him in one single bite, spitting out chunks of his armor which nearly decapitated me at the speed they were going. My aunt and I tried a much different approach to taking it down rather than risk becoming snake food. We lured it to an older section of the sewer, collapsing enough of it to hold him down while we fired everything we could in the general directions of his exposed face. Not the most graceful or clever of assaults, but between four revolvers and the magical force of two sorceresses, the creature took one final nap and is no longer part of the world of the living. We gathered what things we could that belonged to the dwarf and returned them to his family. There was very little celebration for my first real monster killing, but inside, I could feel a sense of purpose. This is why I am here, I believe. Not here as in this office, but here as in this planet.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Serf posted:

thelazyblank - Yvette Bellamont

Awesome. I will say, it's sad that not everyone could be taken, there were some good apps that looked fun.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Feel free to use that invoke for Frank's defense, which I'm pretty sure is understood, but I don't have plans for it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

My sister had a wedding yesterday and I've been caught up in the whole Wedding Fever for the last week and change. Also, who else can see airplane fight?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yeah, all I had planned was a "Yvette leaves" post.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

e X posted:

I feel a little lost, is there any pre-existing lore to this world or do we/ Serf make it up as we go along? Because I didn't really intended anything with the layline map, it just seemed like a natural thing to ask for.

I have shamelessly been making things up whenever talking about leylines, and hoping if I go too far, Serf smacks my internet hands or something.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Wow, screwed that up. Swear I posted here but I've been sick off and on for like a week and a half, and didn't actually post here.

Yes, team underground city is go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Yeah, I'm still in.

• Locked thread