Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

I love me some Hammer Horror. They have a style all their own and while it evolved over the years. Hammer has produced some of the cheesy, interesting, and symbolic horror films of all type.

What is your favorite Hammer Horror film?

http://www.hammerfilms.com/features/1373/hammer-films-for-dummies

See anything recently like a Hammer Horror film? Share it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I would loving love to talk about some Hammer horror, sir. The Reptile is an old favourite. The Mummy is an excellent Hammer film, w/ Christopher Lee as the monster. Then there's the Dracula and Frankenstein cycles, along with one-offs like Curse of the Werewolf and The Gorgon, expanding on the classic Universal monster blueprint with more sex, more violence and in colour! Hammer brought about some of the most stylish horror films of the 60s. And Michael Ripper is the fuckin' best.

I'd also like to submit Roger Corman 's Edgar Allan Poe cycle as an amazing alternative for the goon who's worn out on Hammer films. Often starring the inimitable Vincent Price, they're well worth a glance. Corman's at his absolute best when it comes to these flicks. I'd also highly recommend the Tomb of Ligeia and Corman's take on Lovecraft, The Haunted Palace, which also boasts a brilliant score.

Any other people in to this stuff at all?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: nm

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Vampire Circus is a can't miss. It was on Netflix a few years ago.

I generally like the AIPs from this era better though, Phibes, Theater of Blood, and the like.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Abominable Dr Phibes is amazing.

Inspector Pike Trout is the best useless :wotwot: copper ever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always loved this poster. "Obviously"

"Dracula is Dead and Well and Living in London" would also probably have been the best Dracula film title ever, if they had used it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

"Dracula is Dead and Well and Living in London" would also probably have been the best Dracula film title ever, if they had used it.

One of my favorite posters of all time and I haven't even seen the movie! Gonna remedy that soon.

edit-- YouTube has it for $2.99! Five minutes in and I'm fuckin' sold.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 10, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

I always thought this poster felt like an ad from a 90's gaming magazine and not a movie poster from the 1960's. It's great. Movie's good too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

One of my favorite posters of all time and I haven't even seen the movie! Gonna remedy that soon.

edit-- YouTube has it for $2.99! Five minutes in and I'm fuckin' sold.

Not sure how experienced you are with Hammer, but Dracula Has Risen From the Grave is pretty representative of what you can expect. So if you dig it then there's about 30 more movies you should probably check out.

The Best of the Best were all directed by Terence Fisher though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires was so good. Would recommend kung fu vampires forever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I always thought this poster felt like an ad from a 90's gaming magazine and not a movie poster from the 1960's. It's great. Movie's good too.

Hahaha yeah it totally does

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
TCM ran a bunch of these for October, especially with Christopher Lee being star of the month.

One of the better ones was Taste the Blood of Dracula, which has a unique setup- Dracula is revived by an Alistair Crowley type who enlists the aid of a bunch of stuffy town fathers who happen to spend one night a month at the local Hellfire club, they purchase Dracula's remains from Veruca Salt's father, the Crowley one drinks his blood and the rest freak out and beat him to death, so when Dracula rises he sets out to destroy the men who killed his "servant".

Also cool was Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes. Which, you can just imagine how good a bit of casting that is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I caught several on TCM...

The Curse of Frankenstein - Probably my favorite. I liked the way they made Frankenstein into an out right villain.
The Revenge of Frankenstein - Bizarre sequel, but interesting.
The Blood of Dracula - Kind of threadbare. Christopher Lee makes a great Dracula, but it seems understated.
The Mummy - Also kind of threadbare, but it's a beautifully shot film and the score is fantastic.
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Good Sherlock adaptation. Cushing does make for a great Holmes!
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Kind of dumb and that rape scene really sticks out as awful.
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave - I barely remember anything, but it was alright.

I do like how lurid and gory these get. It's weird seeing a 50s/60s film with that much blood. Just kind of wish they had better writing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly my true favorites are the Quatermass films. The first is a suspenseful monster flick with a nice touch of pathos, Quatermass 2 is a downright epic alien infiltration story, and Quatermass and the Pit is glorious full-color chaos.

Also as far as I can tell they were first in just using "[Title] 2" as the sequel title.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fryQyFU0Pps

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

You can't discuss Hammer with out talking about the Hammer Horror TV anthology which we all got to see this October on Scream Stream by Lurdiak. They are all wonderful ( Brian Cox and Peter Cushing!!!!!!) so yeah. They are excellent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOqPbnxj9A

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

The wife and I love a good HHoH marathon every so often, so cheesy and entertaining.

My favourites are the ones my babysitter let me me watch when I was about 10. 'The House that Bled to Death' and 'The Thirteenth Reunion' in particular were loving terrifying at the time!

Looking back now at the sets, cars, fashions etc we just find them very nostalgic.

http://www.hammerhouseofhorrortvseries.co.uk/hhbled.html

http://www.hammerhouseofhorrortvseries.co.uk/hhreunion.html

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires was so good. Would recommend kung fu vampires forever.

I watched this last night and I had a great time. I would love to see this or something like it done again by the people behind Ong Bak or something.

Also Dracula 1972, or whatever it's called, is worth a watch. It is truly the grooviest cringefest imaginable.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My favorite series is still the Frankenstein series because Cushing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Chiming in with the TCM crowd. I caught Scream of Fear for the first time and was really surprised it was a Hammer film. It was evidently one of a handful of black and white psychological thrillers they produced and wasn't at all what I've come to expect from the studio.

It did have Christopher Lee, though!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hollismason posted:

My favorite series is still the Frankenstein series because Cushing.

Cushing is easily one of my favourite actors. I watched a shitload of Hammer this October to write some articles for a site and any time he popped up I knew I was in for a good time. He's great as a kind, pure-hearted person and great as a total rear end in a top hat but my favourite Cushing is the combo of playful prick that he hits in stuff like The Hound of the Baskervilles and Frankenstein Created Woman.

Das Boo posted:

Chiming in with the TCM crowd. I caught Scream of Fear for the first time and was really surprised it was a Hammer film. It was evidently one of a handful of black and white psychological thrillers they produced and wasn't at all what I've come to expect from the studio.

It did have Christopher Lee, though!

Paranoiac is worth checking out if you haven't seen it. Oliver Reed puts in a bonkers performance that's captivating.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cushing definitely reaches peak rear end in a top hat in Frankenstein Created Woman. I was laughing my rear end off the whole time, he just fucks people over left and right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The whole Dr. Frankenstein character arc, even in the lovely one where he gratuitously rapes a woman, is hilarious.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Cushing definitely reaches peak rear end in a top hat in Frankenstein Created Woman. I was laughing my rear end off the whole time, he just fucks people over left and right.

For real - he rigs a murder trial just to get what he wants, and he still can't resist being a total bitch to everyone while he's on the stand.

Chief of Police: Do you expect us to believe this childish rubbish, sir? Do you take us for fools?
Baron Frankenstein: Yes.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Das Boo posted:

I caught Scream of Fear for the first time and was really surprised it was a Hammer film. It was evidently one of a handful of black and white psychological thrillers they produced and wasn't at all what I've come to expect from the studio.

Definitely check out The Nanny from 1965 if you can get your hands on it - it's absolutely chilling. I had a similar reaction to it being Hammer the first time I saw it ages ago as I was so conditioned to them being lurid, colour, supernatural things (that I also love).

It's good to see so much Cushing love around here. Not only does he elevate even the trashiest stuff he appeared in, but, as my dad gets older, he looks more and more like him (there was always a resemblance). I don't think pa is terribly impressed when I make the comparison, but I think it's an honour! Sadly, I don't appear to have got any of the lookalike genes apart from the nose :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liberal Idiot posted:

For real - he rigs a murder trial just to get what he wants, and he still can't resist being a total bitch to everyone while he's on the stand.

Chief of Police: Do you expect us to believe this childish rubbish, sir? Do you take us for fools?
Baron Frankenstein: Yes.

Its just so great how he's not conflicted at all about what he's doing, at no point is there a moment where he thinks "what have I become" or any of that nonsense.

He's just like "yea, I'll need a fresh brain so lets make sure this innocent guy gets executed for murder. Ok, job done, but wait, you say that his girlfriend committed suicide in her grief? Well hey, we needed a fresh body anyway to complete the experiment! Things are really falling into place aren't they!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
No love for THE DEVIL RIDES OUT? it's awesome and it afforded Lee one of his few heroic roles. He's great in it, which makes it a shame when he disappears for long stretches (to research magic spells).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

No love for THE DEVIL RIDES OUT? it's awesome and it afforded Lee one of his few heroic roles. He's great in it, which makes it a shame when he disappears for long stretches (to research magic spells).

The Devil Rides Out is one of the very few Lee/Fisher films I haven't seen yet, its been on my short list forever. I'd happily pay $5 to rent it but I've never seen it available for streaming anywhere.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Great films. I sure do love those Hammer women.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

The Goat of Mendes! The Devil himself!

The Devil Rides Out is absolutely wonderful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Watching The Gorgon now. Peter Cushing's badass facial hair is making me feel quite inferior.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah there are a few Hammer horror films on Shudder and you should check it out because if you like classic horror it pretty much can't be beat right now for selection. ( I do not work for Shudder).

Also, even though this is a Hammmer Horror thread it should be mentioned that Amicus was a competitor to Hammer Horror and while I would not say on the same level as Hammer it still produced some really great gothic horror films.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 13, 2016

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Hollismason posted:

Yeah there are a few Hammer horror films on Shudder and you should check it out because if you like classic horror it pretty much can't be beat right now for selection. ( I do not work for Shudder).

Also, even though this is a Hammmer Horror thread it should be mentioned that Amicus was a competitor to Hammer Horror and while I would not say on the same level as Hammer it still produced some really great gothic horror films.

Speaking of Amicus,The House That Dripped Blood is a personal favourite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiiHEjE83U

The trailer is typically over the top (Voodoo! Vixens!) but the movie is much less so. It's an anthology with 4 shorts about one house, Lee and Cushing are in it, and Jon Pertwee is the star of the final one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The most common and memorable ones have been mentioned all ready (much love for Cushing's downright evil take on Frankenstein, it's nothing like most versions but it's a whole lot of fun; The Devil Rides Out is probably Christopher Lee's finest leading horror considering he's more of a cameo/side character in The Wicker Man) so gonna mention a couple of favourites not brought up yet. Not sure if they were actually Hammer, might be Amicus ones too but hey ho.

From Beyond The Grave

A series of short stories linked around an antiques shop run by kindly old Peter. Each story basically amounts to someone coming in, seeing something they like and trying to con the shopkeeper out of it/outright steal it when he's not looking. Naturally, each item in the shop is actually a diabolical magical relic of some kind that brings doom on the owner in one way or another. The final story starred Ian Ogilvy, a likeable actor popular at the time for The Saint series and Witchfinder General (another classic horror tale with Vincent Price in full on megabastard mode). Because it was him, I was actually quite upset to see him get his comeuppance...

He buys an old, demonic looking door from the shop, installs it at home and he and his wife find it can open to a creepy room with some kind of murderous psycho pirate guy or something. They're frantically trying to fight him off and escape and the story cuts to Peter in the shop, counting the money he was paid for it. Turns out the customer was an honest man who paid the agreed price so he and his wife manage to escape alive and unscathed, unlike everyone else before them - hurrah!

Horror Express

Not Hammer but it may as well be. Peter and Chris team up with Telly Savalas (playing a Cossack!) on a trans-Siberian train ride with The Thing on board. It goes from host to host, boiling brains, making zombies out of its victims and generally being rather unpleasant. It's exactly as glorious as it sounds.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas is a great movie and it's about time for me to watch it again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas is a great movie and it's about time for me to watch it again.

Oh yeah that's another good early one. The studio's mostly known for the technicolor Gothic horrors but there's some great black and white stuff too.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Abominable Dr Phibes is amazing.
Not Hammer. But still a loving terrific movie.

Sentinel Red posted:

From Beyond The Grave
Not Hammer either.

Basebf555 posted:

I think he's even assholier in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The whole Dr. Frankenstein character arc, even in the lovely one where he gratuitously rapes a woman, is hilarious.
That's Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, most Hammer fans regard it as one of the better installments. Evil of Frankenstein and Horror of Frankenstein are much shittier.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Is there a box set or collection or other way for US audiences to get a hold of the whole Hammer Frankenstein saga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Unfortunately no, the films were sold to US distributors individually, so US rights are owned by several different studios and there's no way to compile them all into one set. They're all available in the states, but you'll have to hunt them down one by one.

Edit:

Curse of Frankenstein-- Warner
Revenge of Frankenstein-- Sony/Columbia
Evil of Frankenstein-- Universal
Frankenstein Created Woman-- not sure
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed-- Warner
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell-- Paramount (but now controlled by Warner?)

Horror of Frankenstein-- not sure, but who cares, absolutely awful and not part of the official series (it's a semi-remake of Curse and does not have Cushing as the doc)

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread