Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I have a lot of questions about what's going on with Naito's everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Is Naito's new gimmick "constantly hungover"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Naito just seems sleepy now

I sympathize

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I wish he'd committed to it more. Him rolling around on the ground between moves because he couldn't be assed to walk was hilarious

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the hardest part of watching this is deciding which of these two men is more attractive :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that match owned!! kinda weird how AJ totally no-sold the sleeper at the end though

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress I thought he had it there

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

aw :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

remembered this was on just in time for the first tournament match.

It's really nice that they at least put this on NJPW World. They use this setup for some of the house shows they do leading up to big events too, right?

e: wonder if Meltzer will bother doing snowflakes for this. would be nice if he at least did it for the singles matches

this almost makes me feel like I'm watching this live with a great seat :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 23, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

when there's no sound during entrances/after a match it's because they don't have rights to a song, right? what's up with that? do they have broadcast rights for it on traditional TV but not online, or is it because online viewers could be international?

e: good to see the camera guy woke up to focus on this lady's butt, good work everyone

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

loving let's go honma

I don't need commentary or fancy camera angles for this I just need to see this man fall on his brain repeatedly

realtalk if Honma had been signed by ROH for the Field of Honor show next month I would not be trying to get NXT tickets for the show that night

like, sure, Nakamura is cool I guess, but seeing Honma live is something I would be telling my grandchildren about someday

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 23, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

get the gently caress out of the way photographers!!! christ trying to watch the wrestlers do mat work in this is like half the concerts I've gone to recently where I'm in the front row but assholes with Leicas and Instagram accounts keep darting in front of me to take #1perfectshot #nofilter and I can't see poo poo

e: honma :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Elgin yelling out his own name like a Pokemon is adorable

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I know nothing about Michael Elgin other than his ring gear is some Solomon Crowe-level bad idea but he seems kinda okay

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

were any of the tags worth watching?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I missed the last two days, should I bother watching all of the tournament matches or should I just watch Styles/Ibushi and Naito/Tanahashi

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Goto/MGKA was really good, watched a few other matches and my roommate got kind of into it so we watched Honma/Okada and it didn't disappoint. I seriously think Honma is one of the best gateway wrestlers in the business, non-wrestling-watching friends always love those loving headbutts (and so do I) :allears:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 27, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

aw, I like Nakamura and I've liked what I've seen of Elgin so far, so this is a bummer on two counts for tonight

what's weird about the G1 being so injury-causing is that it doesn't seem like the schedule's any rougher than, like, WWE's usual live event schedule. I guess a house show touring schedule like that probably has more tags and cycles the roster more frequently?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oh hey I'm still awake somehow, here's the full card for tonight/this morning, via reddit

Tag Team Match: Tiger Mask & Mascara Dorada vs. Jay White & David Finlay

Eight Man Tag Team Match: Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima, Ryusuke Taguchi & Yohei Komatsu vs. Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Yujiro Takahashi, Tama Tonga & Cody Hall)
Yuji Nagata & Karl Anderson are squaring off on the next night. Satoshi Kojima & Yujiro Takahashi are also squaring off on the next night.

Tag Team Match: Tomoaki Honma & Michael Elgin vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI)
Tomoaki Honma & Michael Elgin are squaring off on the next night, but are teaming together here. Tomohiro Ishii is scheduled to square off against Shinsuke Nakamura on the next night as well if Nakamura is fit to compete.

Tag Team Match: Hirooki Goto & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Gedo)
Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada are squaring off in the main event of the next night.

G1 Climax A Block Match: Toru Yano [2] vs. Doc Gallows [0]
G1 Climax A Block Match: Togi Makabe [2] vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [2]
G1 Climax A Block Match: Katsuyori Shibata [4] vs. Kota Ibushi [4]
G1 Climax A Block Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] vs. Bad Luck Fale [4]
G1 Climax A Block Match: Tetsuya Naito [4] vs. AJ Styles [4]

e: anything from Night 6 worth watching beyond Ishii/Anderson? Only thing I saw posted in the MOTYC thread. Oh and of course I'll watch the Honma match because always watch all Honma matches

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 29, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

guys, I really thought that Honma match was gonna be the one he finally won :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Catching up on Ishii/MGKA. So is taking a huge beating and then hulking the gently caress up kind of Ishii's thing? Like it's one thing to power up after a beat down and another thing to go from taking 800 punches to taking control with a single massive fist :stare:

e: I gotta say, for the most part I don't miss the announcers that much, but they would add a lot to some of the out-of-ring spots where the crowd can barely see/respond to the (usually brutal-looking) moves

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 29, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

does njpw sell yano's pants in their merch shop cuz if not that seems like a huge missed opportunity

e: also the hell is going on with yano's eye

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

hahaha doc sellin for the ear pull

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

worst hair of the year contenders the both of them, that's for goddamn sure

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Thauros posted:

who won gallows yano? I fell asleep for a while? And is there any possible reason I'd want to watch? (lol I know)

it was actually really good and funny and I think you should watch it instead of the upcoming tanahashi/fale match to help you stay awake until AJ/Naito

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

caveat: I have been awake long enough that basically any half-comedic thing is loving hilarious to me, YMMV

e: I feel like this match is going to own?!!?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

jesus what did Ibushi's face do to piss off Shibata

e: angry Ibushi is scaring me :ohdear:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

THIS loving SEQUENCE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

YEAAHHHHH THAT OWNED

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

quote:

Good match but fell short of what I thought it could be. Two guys beating the poo poo out of each other is always going to have some merit but it's better when there's a story and not so much back and forth for the sake of it.

I thought the story was "legit badass Shibata thinks Ibushi is just a pretty-boy and thus goes after his face/dares him to hit him/no-sells his slaps"

Spermgod posted:

edit: also I really don't like those ultra-choreographed sequences that so many NJPW big matches have now and when you throw no-selling suplexes and 1 counts into the mix they're even worse.

I like crazy no-sell sequences when they're placed properly in a match and lead to them both being exhausted and set up a slower-paced ending build, I think it makes a lot of sense

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so this match is basically "can Cena suplex the Big Show?" right

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

so I'm way behind on this. If I just skip the undercard and watch only the G1 matches from these shows, am I missing anything?

nah, that's the way to do it, and even that's kinda completionist. you could do what I did and just go off the MOTYC thread to make sure you catch the can't-miss ones and then watch whoever you like (honma, you should like honma)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

someone's gotta tell Bowl Cut Young Lion to get a haircut

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the push begins now!!!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

wait really, I was just goofin

I always thought Fale was just kind of a big dude who mostly served to put over faces, didn't realize he had a push of his own

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Thauros posted:

You guys think Styles will be the de facto face in this like he was against MiSu last year?

I think you have your answer in that chant

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

can't tell if the pops are because people like AJ, because people hate Naito, or because at least AJ is actually doing some poo poo compared to Naito

e: naito woke up I guess

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

what are you doing naito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I didn't really like that match but I still enjoy Naito's character. I just feel like having him be all lazy at the start of a match just makes everything seem even slower. It's okay when you have a flustered face to go up against, but outside of the trash talk at the start, AJ didn't really play into it at all :(

• Locked thread