Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Why the gently caress would anyone let a game run in the background just so they can check on it every 20 minutes? I kinda though the whole point of video games was to engage your brain and distract you for escapism.

It's some seriously dumb poo poo and a sign that points to a total collapse in western society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
But that sweet, sweet pavlovian reward

C'mon, man

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
if you think about it, the ultimate idle game is life

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I idle for steam trading cards because I will get rich off of them.

2 for 1 trades only, bitch.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I like the sweet sweet dopamine feedback loop when the numbers go up

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
actually those kinds of games are for people who are really, really bad at video games OP. thats a huge market, thus its why it exists

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Cookie clicker

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have no fuvkinb idea what youre talking about bitch

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait nvm i play clash of clans

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Enfield posted:

i have no fuvkinb idea what youre talking about bitch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Clicker

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

actually those kinds of games are for people who are really, really bad at video games OP. thats a huge market, thus its why it exists

yeah but people who are good at games=bad at life so by the transitive property people who are bad a video games=good at life so people who play idle games must also be good at life. Sorry dude your theory doesn't hold water.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
progress quest is p good

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
idle games are for people like me who dont even bother to make their brains work anymore. its not a game, its a technically socially acceptable excuse to stare at nothing for hours on end

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

klapman posted:

idle games are for people like me who dont even bother to make their brains work anymore. its not a game, its a technically socially acceptable excuse to stare at nothing for hours on end

were gonna have to work on our definition of socially acceptable here

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I've had majoras mask on pause since last night. thinking about unpausing it for a few

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i'm currently idling in tf2 because gently caress you

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

I que up for HotS HL just to idle in ranked games.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Says a man who's never felt the climax of successfully landing a Boeing 747 at New York from London.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Daimo posted:

Says a man who's never felt the climax of successfully landing a Boeing 747 at New York from London.

There's a flight sim game where you can fly from London to New York and people that aren't training on it to be pilots actually try to land it? Because I'd market that motherfucker as a fiery plane crash simulator.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I hear cookie clicker is pretty good

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
apparently cookie clicker is the reason society is gonna collapse, good point goon

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i like it when numbers go up, or down depending.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
ty for reminding me to check my progress in adventure capitalist op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i like it when numbers go up, or down depending.

up is better, that's why I like cookie clicker

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Progress Quest used to be a joke, now they have turned it into an entire industry :psyduck:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

Progress Quest used to be a joke, now they have turned it into an entire industry :psyduck:

welcome to the new century friend

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plRgJ6mFWHI
I dunno this guy seems like a cool dude, unlike "serious" gamers who spend all day playing sexist games getting fat and not practicing personal hygiene.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone let a game run in the background just so they can check on it every 20 minutes? I kinda though the whole point of video games was to engage your brain and distract you for escapism.

It's some seriously dumb poo poo and a sign that points to a total collapse in western society.

You're so right. Instead I'll check this retarded forum every ten seconds to make sure everyone knows my autism is greatest. Let me now list to you every game I enjoy and why followed by a brief explanation about my bathing routine.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

They rule during work

Sneak in 30 seconds of gaming between assignments and not lose any progress from putting it down

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Idle games, and the people who play them, frighten me

its just bigger numbers but the same game at different intervals, all depending on how early you started playing

and they have cash shops

like multiply your numbers by 10 for an hour

that makes no sense

why would you buy that

and hten I remember star citizen

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
and then the numbers dont even get bigger they just change the suffix and expect you to think its bigger

oh wow now im earning 10Q per minute instead of 10q.

like if you dont read the instructions/know their code for higher order numbers you'd have noidea the game is different

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Yesterday I got an ad on my phone for the Mobile RPG Strategy Something game that "Doesn't even need you."
It's a game that they advertise will play itself and you don't have to interact with it at all.

This game doesn't want or need you! Give us your money and then gently caress right off!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Madcosby posted:

and then the numbers dont even get bigger they just change the suffix and expect you to think its bigger

oh wow now im earning 10Q per minute instead of 10q.

like if you dont read the instructions/know their code for higher order numbers you'd have noidea the game is different

That's 10 quintillion instead of 10 quadrillion you scrub, this is remedial stuff

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

dose eve count as an idle game>?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
How else am I going to get that achievement for staring at the menu screen for 50 hours?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A Dark Room actually owns b/c you think you're a regular dude/lady trying to survive the post-apocalypse, but you slowly figure out that you're one of the alien conquerors who caused the apocalypse in the first place

Also there is actually an end-game

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

A Dark Room actually owns b/c you think you're a regular dude/lady trying to survive the post-apocalypse, but you slowly figure out that you're one of the alien conquerors who caused the apocalypse in the first place

Also there is actually an end-game

spoilers much nincompoop?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
shouldnt the quotation marks be around games in youer snarky title op

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

im pooping! posted:

spoilers much nincompoop?

no duh, that's why i put it in spoiler tags. if you don't want to be spoiled then don't highlight spoiler tags

E: SPOILER FOR A DARK ROOM
You enslave a bunch of your own people, only to gently caress off in your newly-repaired spaceship and abandon them
END OF SPOILER

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Because that's how EVE Online is meant to be played, OP.

• Locked thread