Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"I always loved cartoons and took them very personally! Read into them too much, wanted them to be real. So I want to make cartoons that are meant to be read that way, overanalyzed, and taken personally because they really are meaningful, that's my dream!"

Yeah pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I haven't seen more than a few episodes of this show so I'm not too sure if it's a canon cosplay or not.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I didn't know there were so many cosplayers for this show.

http://mamamidnight.tumblr.com/post/123324039705/anime-expo-day-3-photos-4-steven-universe

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Germstore posted:

Anything with Brendon Small or H. Jon Benjamin but not Seth McFarlane. Therefore the perfect cartoon is Home Movies as it is the only cartoon that fulfills all three criteria.

I refuse to live in a world where Archer and Bob's Burgers are second tier. :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Venture Bros. is the best show, therefore that cartoon assessment is flawed.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Indubitable Leg posted:

I refuse to live in a world where Archer and Bob's Burgers are second tier. :colbert:

We all live in our own prisons.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H98Q9VU6IEM

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
25 is the new 12

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Max Hammer posted:

Metalocalypse is the only acceptable cartoon for adults to watch, hth.

is adult swim ever going to formally cancel it or what

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I didn't know there were so many cosplayers for this show.

Cosplay is a shame that is not limited to any one show. At least those are mostly (unattractive) women.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Actually it's mostly men

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Max Hammer posted:

Metalocalypse is the only acceptable cartoon for adults to watch, hth.

haha, no it isnt

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
steven universe and mlp are the exact same lovely show for little girls but one gets mad praise and the other doesn't because the "right" people watch it

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
The best proof I have to suggest people are loving incredibly much dumber than previously thought is their biological urge to get INSIDE the TV and live there. It's a cartoon you defective mutants.

Can you not act like loving parakeets mesmerized by a mirror in your cage and just casually watch TV in the background without becoming totally transfixed by it and trying to become it?

It's like a planet of Buffalo Bills making skin suits for cosplay comic cons.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mr. Stingly posted:

The best proof I have to suggest people are loving incredibly much dumber than previously thought is their biological urge to get INSIDE the TV and live there. It's a cartoon you defective mutants.

Can you not act like loving parakeets mesmerized by a mirror in your cage and just casually watch TV in the background without becoming totally transfixed by it and trying to become it?

It's like a planet of Buffalo Bills making skin suits for cosplay comic cons.

Well if that was the case, wouldn't these people all be moving to Delaware, where the show is located?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zzulu posted:

Actually it's mostly men

Whoa. Men built the Hoover Dam. Men stormed Iwo Jima and Omaha Beach. Men broke the sound barrier and even landed on the moon. Men have forged a world of iron and concrete.

Those things you're lookin at, they ain't 'men'. Those are faggots

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Booblord Zagats posted:

Whoa. Men built the Hoover Dam. Men stormed Iwo Jima and Omaha Beach. Men broke the sound barrier and even landed on the moon. Men have forged a world of iron and concrete.

Those things you're lookin at, they ain't 'men'. Those are faggots

Hello human being

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beef Turret posted:

Hello human being

Sup

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
adults should not be watching cartoons of any sort

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Liking cartoons is cool, now.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I know people in the military loving love anime.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I know people in the military loving love anime.

Air Force and Army Intel guys are loving crazy for that poo poo. And linguists

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well if that was the case, wouldn't these people all be moving to Delaware, where the show is located?

Forks, Washington suffered enjoyed a brief time as a tourist destination for pasty teenagers and frumpy housewives after Twilight. Maybe Delaware could be the new money pit for Dash Con.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Crap posted:

Animation only became "for kids" in public perception when televisions became affordable and widespread. The channels needed to fill up the time when children were home and so they just dumped all the old shorts that ran in movie theaters before the feature presentation, because they were decades old and cheap, before that they were considered general entertainment for all ages. For a brief period animation was considered high art and some of Disney's cels were on display in a California museum around the late 30s.

cool

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
But to answer the OP's question: Yeah, pretty much

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crap posted:

Animation only became "for kids" in public perception when televisions became affordable and widespread. The channels needed to fill up the time when children were home and so they just dumped all the old shorts that ran in movie theaters before the feature presentation, because they were decades old and cheap, before that they were considered general entertainment for all ages. For a brief period animation was considered high art and some of Disney's cels were on display in a California museum around the late 30s.

Well that and Hanna Barbera came along and figured out how to dump loads and loads and loads of awful cheap-rear end animation onto TV quick, alongside the comics industry being effectively hamstrung into only children's content with the Comics Code Authority.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm watching it and it seems ok but I really hate the main character Steven. He's an idiot and poorly written random humor. Everyone else seems alright and the show as a whole seems entertaining enough especially for kids.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

i can actually smell them

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

cram me sideways posted:

i can actually smell them

What do they smell like?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

IanJ posted:

also i cant speak for everyone else that works on the show but we made the show primarily for children

anyone outside of that demographic is "bonus" and they usually take it too seriously in a way that kids don't. the bonus viewers also usually think that all the dramatic stuff is put there for them when it's really there for kids and written at a kids level... so... just enjoy watching a cartoon for kids

hi ianj!!

kids media is fun and usually has to find clever ways to talk about things that adult media takes for granted. I think SU does a great job at that and I think it's teaching kids about some important stuff that a lot of media doesn't cover without talking down to them so thank you for that :)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

It could be worse. It could be Homestuck cosplayers.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xelkelvos posted:

It could be worse. It could be Homestuck cosplayers.

You're an optimist and I can appreciate that

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
there is a LOT of overlap between homestuck fans and SU fans

I know several fairly "big names" in the homestuck fandom work on SU now

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

there is a LOT of overlap between homestuck fans and SU fans

I know several fairly "big names" in the homestuck fandom work on SU now

interdasting

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What is homestuck?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
let me tell you about homestuck

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I hope the SU cosplayers learn from the homestucks mistakes and seal their goddamn makeup

a con I table at was kicked out of the venue because homestucks kept smearing grey poo poo all over everything

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Interesting...

I like Bee and Puppycat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

I hope the SU cosplayers learn from the homestucks mistakes and seal their goddamn makeup

a con I table at was kicked out of the venue because homestucks kept smearing grey poo poo all over everything

i cant believe how gay this is

• Locked thread