Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

I watched all of it and liked it but I don't think I actually laughed at any point.
Hmm.

Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haven't seen S2 yet but: the writing is good, there's some clever jokes/gags (the agent dating 3 kids in a trenchcoat is funny as gently caress I'm sorry if you disagree), and there's some actual character development slash conflict happening. It literally has more going on character wise than Entourage and actual 'real' shows like that.

It's funny but it's definitely more dark humor than anything else.

The soundtrack is good, too.

Hobohemian posted:

Tried to watch the first episode but it just wasn't funny. Do we really need another hollywood satire like that's never been done before? If it had jokes that made you laugh, sure. It seems content to just jack off to it's own semi-cleverness though.

See give it more than 1 episode because it isn't just 'hollywood satire' really. Idk I thought it was interesting perspective into celebrity. It's some dark and cynical stuff. Seriously though give it a chance; I agree I was also on the fence after just one episode but it's good. There's a reason it's got a 94% audience rating and a 50% critic rating on Rotten Tomatos - you have to give it more than just a cursory glance or it will just look like another unfunny hollywood satire cartoon.

It really does start out looking like every other crude adult animated sitcom but I promise it progresses into something better.

That whole thing with Bojack taking that dude's cupcakes was great as was anything involving Dr. Hu.

I didn't know S2 was out already but looks like it has a 100% on RT.

e: idk in the end it's worth at least being on in the background on netflix while you are on your computer. What more do you really want?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 20, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Hobohemian posted:

Tried to watch the first episode but it just wasn't funny. Do we really need another hollywood satire like that's never been done before? If it had jokes that made you laugh, sure. It seems content to just jack off to it's own semi-cleverness though.

Season 1 starts out pretty rough and schizo. Not saying you have to stick it out if you hate it but it does find a voice and get pretty good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZGqryaU_PA

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kind of a fun concept, but they forgot to make it funny

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

notZaar posted:

Season 1 starts out pretty rough and schizo. Not saying you have to stick it out if you hate it but it does find a voice and get pretty good.

Echoing this. The first few episodes are boring and basically just establish the main characters. Then out of nowhere it becomes a very good, dark comedy about depression and addiction. Once you catch on to the show's theme, the opening credits sequence reads as tragic rather than comedic.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I just got Lisa Hanawalt's book (she does the character designs and poo poo) and it's hilarious I love her. check out her art if you like bojack

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Now that I've seen it through I can say that it made me laugh once or twice an episode which for me as a jaded depressed unlovable goon is a very good laugh/life is poo poo ration so GJ bojack horseman

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Whats this whole thing about the intro "syncing up" with the Mad Men intro? I first heard about it when I read someone saying they were the "same intro" Am I missing something here or is the internet full of poo poo as usual?

Bojack (Season 1 anyway) is pretty hit and miss. The tone is uneven as gently caress and that makes it hard to relax into it. I enjoyed it, but I am slow to recommend it to my friends. if you want to see a painfully unfunny adult cartoon, check out Sit Down, Shut up. Jesus Christ that was like someone you used to trust making GBS threads in your mouth.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 21, 2015

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Sonofsilversign posted:

its not like laugh out loud funny

gently caress it then

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bojack horseman isn't a funny show at all. But it's still good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I makes me guffaw aloud with gusto quite often, and I'm not typically a boorish goof.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i had a thread last year saying the show wasnt good but it ended up being good and season 2 was better than the 1st

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

SaltLick posted:

i had a thread last year saying the show wasnt good but it ended up being good and season 2 was better than the 1st

it tricks you into thinking it's not good, and then by the end of the season you're like oh poo poo that was actually good??

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Troposphere posted:

it tricks you into thinking it's not good, and then by the end of the season you're like oh poo poo that was actually good??

yea it really found its footing half way through.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
s2 was really good, s1 started kind of crap and became good

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

s2 was really good, s1 started kind of crap and became good

ahhh you finished it?? wasn't episode 11 some heavy poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
s2e11 painful so painful but in the way that it is good. well done pain. such pain.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

s2e11 painful so painful but in the way that it is good. well done pain. such pain.

agreed

near the end of the episode my heart was beating so fast and I almost got sick, a show hasn't done that to me in a long time. too real.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

good show imo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Szechuan posted:

Echoing this. The first few episodes are boring and basically just establish the main characters. Then out of nowhere it becomes a very good, dark comedy about depression and addiction. Once you catch on to the show's theme, the opening credits sequence reads as tragic rather than comedic.

I hear if you play a final fantasy for twenty hours it suddenly becomes good too.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

MVP posted:

Bojack Horseman is terribly written and it's another case where the art can't hold up the writing of melodrama and comedians who can't write worth poo poo

thanks

stop posting

kill self

thanks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
diane doesn't deserve mr. peanutbutter, he is wonderful

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

diane doesn't deserve mr. peanutbutter, he is wonderful

he is my favorite. him and princess carolyn should ditch everyone else and date each other

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

he is my favorite. him and princess carolyn should ditch everyone else and date each other

yes!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

I need this shirt

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it was p funny when they kept acting like they weren't going to show that full-on kiss and then they just do lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

bojack was about to wet up a 17 year old

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Son of Rodney posted:

the first season was good the second seson was kinda more of the same

bojack is a broken person blablabla teary eyed revelation about brokeness blablabla oh look hes back to being an rear end in a top hat

overall the show is ok

So it's gbs in cartoon form

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Troposphere posted:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nuebot posted:

I hear if you play a final fantasy for twenty hours it suddenly becomes good too.

I played final fantasy 7 for like 20 hours before I quit out of boredom. I'm also glad that girl dies, she was useless.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this show is weird because, more than maybe anything else i've ever watched, it starts out really lame and lovely and ends up simply god damned fantastic

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hobohemian posted:

I played final fantasy 7 for like 20 hours before I quit out of boredom. I'm also glad that girl dies, she was useless.

Japanese RPGs are designed to eat up the tons of free hours that recluse otaku have, so you should have stopped after hour one.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

NecroMonster posted:

this show is weird because, more than maybe anything else i've ever watched, it starts out really lame and lovely and ends up simply god damned fantastic

Yeah, end of season 1 is a whole lot better than the start.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel is like that too.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have to admit, the explanation of how they eat meat in the show is fantastically hosed up.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Do I have to watch the first half of season 1 or can you just jump in and it all makes sense? I'm so bored; I'm out of comedies to watch and kimmy schmit is only funny the first 5 times.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i already made this loving thread

it loving sucks don't watch it

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Princess Caroline drinking by herself on her 40th birthday was the saddest I have been watching a tv show and I am not embarrassed to admit it

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's a pretty boring show, even Will Arnett couldn't save it

He couldn't save his own marriage so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Will Arnett has been in 2 good things, arrested development and bojack horseman. IDK why there is this myth of him being a great funnyman or someone who carries shows

• Locked thread