Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
my mom looks really worried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like you could legit make the case that sleeping with your partner while carrying on an ongoing affair when you know that would make them not sleep with you is sexual assault. I could make a really long list of illegal things I'd rather have happen to me over that and if someone felt sexually violated over it I wouldn't just write that off.

Yeah that's going way too far. I think just keeping it as morally repulsive act is enough.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

Yeah, in this case. The scuttlebutt is the site is practically all men.

That's not because they advertise to men more than women.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

the man said scuttlebutt

argument over

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

circ dick soleil posted:

That's not because they advertise to men more than women.

This is a chicken/egg thing. If mostly men go for the service they're going to advertise mostly to men, and if they advertise mostly to men they'll be more men. Their market is men either way.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

lol no you couldn't and you might as well make 'getting your feelings hurt' illegal because that's one short step away from 'make it illegal to break up.'
Emotional damages can be considered in criminal and civil cases and beyond that lack of informed consent can be considered rape and is in certain jurisdictions, you are removing agency over someone's body by sleeping with them under false pretenses.

And yeah, for example getting shoved or punch is assault which is illegal but I think if you asked most people whether they'd rather get hit once or have someone carry out an ongoing affair for years behind their back they'd take the former, like I understand it's obviously difficult to evaluate emotional damages whereas physical are pretty cut and dry, but you have no empathy if you can't see how it can be just as significant or moreso than more obvious crimes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

so if i want to cheat on my girlfriend whats the new hot website?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

vyst posted:

so if i want to cheat on my girlfriend whats the new hot website?

go to a bar???

buy a new phone just to use tinder

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
in sharia court you couldn't get away with this nonsense... just something to think about

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

well sharia needs to keep to her loving self then

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

This is a chicken/egg thing. If mostly men go for the service they're going to advertise mostly to men, and if they advertise mostly to men they'll be more men. Their market is men either way.

So why would they want the website to be a sausagefest? Assuming that the gay population is negligible what do they gain from that?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The way they change the ads here though is great. They change the jingle "lookin for someone other than my wife, other than my wife, ashley madison is ri-hi-hight" by just replacing wife with guy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Emotional damages can be considered in criminal and civil cases and beyond that lack of informed consent can be considered rape and is in certain jurisdictions, you are removing agency over someone's body by sleeping with them under false pretenses.

I've never heard of emotional damages being considered in a criminal case and besides that it's kind of not at all 'he cheated on me and now I am devastated.' It's gotta be something extreme and outrageous.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

So why would they want the website to be a sausagefest? What do they gain from that?

Because they can't help it, so may as well double down. Much like your posting.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

Because they can't help it, so may as well double down.

They can't help it so they're willing to pay money for ads to make the site less successful?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
for instance mordin920 would receive 100 lashes in the public square.. in this scenario i am the head mullah and hav eissued a fatwa against his relelentlessly terrible posting

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

They can't help it so they're willing to pay money for ads to make the site less successful?

fleecing people is their business model, it doesn't matter how many men or women are on the site because once the customer gets a good idea their money is already spent

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Moridin920 posted:

I've never heard of emotional damages being considered in a criminal case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

gently caress the ROW posted:

for instance mordin920 would receive 100 lashes in the public square.. in this scenario i am the head mullah and hav eissued a fatwa against his relelentlessly terrible posting

Sharia is a really nice name for a girl, don't you think?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

'Fighting Words' means you are allowed to throw the first punch without worry of assault/battery charges if someone is being hostile enough.

Nothing at all to do with infliction of emotional distress, legally speaking.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

is it legal to say the phrase "fightin words" without saying "thems"?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I've never heard of emotional damages being considered in a criminal case and besides that it's kind of not at all 'he cheated on me and now I am devastated.' It's gotta be something extreme and outrageous.
http://michiganlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/113MichLRev607_Eisenberg.pdf

for what it's worth I'm not actually suggesting it's criminalized in anything but egregious cases but I disagreed with your original flippant disregard for the concept. I don't really see how you could just say "no you can't feel that way" to the idea of someone feeling sexually violated upon learning that they were having sex with someone they would not have wanted to have sex with had something not been knowingly and intentionally hid from them. If you had two indistinguishable twins would you not consider it rape if one tricked the other's partner into loving them? What about if you blindfolded your consenting partner to sex then brought in a friend without informing them? Sure if you want to make the argument the line is blurry and you wouldn't want legal precedent over it that's fine, but at least conceptually you should accept it makes sense.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

you and your husband met on a forum dedicated exclusively to stalk, discuss and harass cris-chan, a disabled and handicapped person with the emotional development of a small child.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sharia is a really nice name for a girl, don't you think?

Sharia me a good time :D

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

fleecing people is their business model, it doesn't matter how many men or women are on the site because once the customer gets a good idea their money is already spent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Madison#Business_model

quote:

Unlike Match.com or eHarmony, AshleyMadison's business model is based on credits rather than monthly subscriptions. For a conversation between two members, one of the members—almost always the man—must pay five credits to initiate the conversation. Any follow up messages between the two members are free after the communication has been initiated. AshleyMadison also has a real time chat feature that is metered. Credits are utilised to pay for a certain time allotment of chat. Women can send "collect"[clarification needed] messages to men, but men can not send them to women.[32]

You don't spend any money on the site until you buy credits. You don't buy credits unless you have someone you want to talk to. Saying that they have nothing to gain from drawing in female users is retardedly dumb.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
"how can i make this the fault of men only hmmmm"

- constantly butthurt selfhating college kids on the internet

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

it's probably better than keeping 37 million sham marriages on life support

these hackers are fat little angels imo

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

"how can i make this the fault of men only hmmmm"

- constantly butthurt selfhating college kids on the internet

dont sign ur posts

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Madison#Business_model

You don't spend any money on the site until you buy credits. You don't buy credits unless you have someone you want to talk to. Saying that they have nothing to gain from drawing in female users is retardedly dumb.

It takes $20 to even delete your profile.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
my feelings about this site in one song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd1pnQwqKmU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Minimalist Program posted:

you and your husband met on a forum dedicated exclusively to stalk, discuss and harass cris-chan, a disabled and handicapped person with the emotional development of a small child.

Is this true because lol

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

daring used to be free on aols local chat rooms

lots of fat chicks tho

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

http://michiganlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/113MichLRev607_Eisenberg.pdf

for what it's worth I'm not actually suggesting it's criminalized in anything but egregious cases but I disagreed with your original flippant disregard for the concept. I don't really see how you could just say "no you can't feel that way" to the idea of someone feeling sexually violated upon learning that they were having sex with someone they would not have wanted to have sex with had something not been knowingly and intentionally hid from them. If you had two indistinguishable twins would you not consider it rape if one tricked the other's partner into loving them? What about if you blindfolded your consenting partner to sex then brought in a friend without informing them?

I didn't say you couldn't feel that way, I said it'd be absurd to start jailing people for it.

What you're talking about is 'based on a tacit verbal agreement (dating/married/whatever) in which we agreed to not gently caress others, jail this person for violation of contract + also infliction of emotional distress.'

If you want to talk about a civil suit that's one thing but criminal? No.

And it's funny that you should link that because I've already read it and it doesn't say what you think it does. First it creates its own category for the purposes of discussion (CIED, criminal infliction of emotional distress), defines it as statues that govern bullying, harassing, stalking, and then explores whether it is a good thing that this is happening in the justice system.

So really it confirms my point that 'infliction of emotional distress' isn't something considered in criminal trials.

quote:

In assessing harm and devising punishment, the law has always taken non-
physical harm seriously, but traditionally it has only implicitly accounted for
emotional harm; it has not made emotional harm an element of criminal
liability. CIED statutes represent a break in this narrative.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

Yes good point.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

circ dick soleil posted:

Is this true because lol

he's usually not wrong so yes

like we still have people like mookface who beat his wife and then ran away without talking to his kids for like half a year

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 20, 2015

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Moridin920 posted:

So really it confirms my point that 'infliction of emotional distress' isn't something considered in criminal trials.

It absolutely is when it comes to sentencing. That's why in a lot of trials they have victim impact statements.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't say you couldn't feel that way, I said it'd be absurd to start jailing people for it.

What you're talking about is 'based on a tacit verbal agreement (dating/married/whatever) in which we agreed to not gently caress others, jail this person for violation of contract + also infliction of emotional distress.'

If you want to talk about a civil suit that's one thing but criminal? No.

And it's funny that you should link that because I've already read it and it doesn't say what you think it does. First it creates its own category for the purposes of discussion (CIED, criminal infliction of emotional distress), defines it as statues that govern bullying, harassing, stalking, and then explores whether it is a good thing that this is happening in the justice system.

In assessing harm and devising punishment, the law has always taken non-
physical harm seriously, but traditionally it has only implicitly accounted for
emotional harm; it has not made emotional harm an element of criminal
liability. CIED statutes represent a break in this narrative.

As in new statutes are accounting for this and are taking emotional damage into account for criminal proceedings, so yeah it's a thing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Germstore posted:

So you can sign up for free, but if you want to get rid of any trace of being on you have to fill in your personal info, which is gonna be on this list. Hahah wow. That's some loving irony.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Each of these cases involved a criminal statute that imposes liability for
causing another person emotional harm. They are part of a growing trend;
in recent years, thirty states and the District of Columbia have criminalized
the infliction of emotional harm independent of any physical harm
or threat
of physical injury

like seriously what part of this to you says that this is a thing that doesn't happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

circ dick soleil posted:

Is this true because lol

Clochette posted:

I met my husband on the CWCki forum, I wonder what this says about us.

• Locked thread