Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Crop_Top_9000 posted:

I want to be a charlatan but apparently becoming a chiropractor requires four years of fake medical school.

is there a step below chiropractor that only takes like a two week certificate or something?

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/sonic-therapy-future-medicine-pt-1

Also related to Vibration Therapy, which is where you wave a crystal over somebody while new age music plays in order to align their chakras or whatever. You don't need to go to school for this because you are literally passing yourself off as a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
if chiropractics is bullshit why do insurance plans cover it

those fuckers don't want to cover anything

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

chiropractors are cops for your back.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

argondamn posted:

chiropractors are cops for your back.

#backalignmentsmatter

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
Chiropractors say poo poo like "Doctors just want to sell you pills so they can get kickbacks from Big Pharma".

Then they try to sell you some vitamins and natural remedies that cost you twice as much as they do at Walgreens.

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

become a homoeopath or a nutritionist

nutritionist might be fun. I could end up like the Heartattack Grill guy - get sick of people ignoring my advice of "eat less" and make bank selling them way too much food.

now we're talking. You know a form of quackery is viable when it's got Dr. Oz on its side.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Please don't read this thread. It's the most anger-inducing thing ever.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Lol my sister in law had her new born, right after being in nicu, go to the chiropractor.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's because they think the purpose of a doctor is to perform rituals, instead of medical procedures. the reason why they can't tell these two things apart is because it requires expertise, expertise that is supposed to be one of the jobs of the government. usa being ground zero for wall street, the government has been systematically dismantled by corporations in their endless search for short term profit, much like a pack of hungry wolves might tear down a deer in alaskan tundra

hope this helps

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

ashgromnies posted:

they're cheaper than doctors and make you not get real (expensive) medical treatment

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

MonkeyBot posted:

they're cheaper than doctors and make you not get real (expensive) medical treatment

also lobbying. there's a huge loving business dedicated to convincing lawmakers and insurance executives (who are equally dumb/incompetent) that chiropractic is a real thing

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Three Olives posted:

Remember when it turned out that the chiropractor boyfriend of Bitcoin king Bruce Wagner was running a gay prositution scheme out of his "medical" office?
Yes because watching the bitcoin show was about all I did in the summer of 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
there was a guy in my hometown who was a chiropractor, he thought that spinal alignment could cure all diseases and didn't vaccinate his kids before it was cool

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Hold on while I break this baby's neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTx2UxvaMro

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDNM9mPqMeU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

also lobbying. there's a huge loving business dedicated to convincing lawmakers and insurance executives (who are equally dumb/incompetent) that chiropractic is a real thing

This is a big thing. There's this erroneous idea that the rich/political leaders (often the same thing, also increasingly an issue) are some how smarter or less fallible than the rest of us. It turns out that they're, if anything, even more likely to pull poo poo like not believing in global warming, be against vaccination (:psyduck:), or think anybody who appends "Doctor" to their name is a legitimate medical professional.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

This is a big thing. There's this erroneous idea that the rich/political leaders (often the same thing, also increasingly an issue) are some how smarter or less fallible than the rest of us. It turns out that they're, if anything, even more likely to pull poo poo like not believing in global warming, be against vaccination (:psyduck:), or think anybody who appends "Doctor" to their name is a legitimate medical professional.
living inside a bubble stunts one's personal growth

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I go to a chiropractor every now and then. For $20 he'll crack my back (whatever) and then he'll tell me which muscles are especially tight on me and how to stretch them. Helps keep me limber.

I guess a PT would probably do the same thing

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quakster posted:

living inside a bubble stunts one's personal growth

so do regular visits to a chiropractor :v:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I go to a chiropractor every now and then. For $20 he'll crack my back (whatever) and then he'll tell me which muscles are especially tight on me and how to stretch them. Helps keep me limber.

I guess a PT would probably do the same thing

a PT would probably do it better since they have an education not based on a demonstrably wrong understanding of anatomy and physiology

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

a PT would probably do it better since they have an education not based on a demonstrably wrong understanding of anatomy and physiology

Pro-ba-lee

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Guys, lets go to "doctors" who treat a condition which is basically defined as the same thing as a real medical condition, but somehow magically doesn't show up on Xray's MRIs etc.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ashgromnies posted:

The UK's NHS pays for homeopath bullshit too

wilderthanmild posted:

Guys, lets go to "doctors" who treat a condition which is basically defined as the same thing as a real medical condition, but somehow magically doesn't show up on Xray's MRIs etc.

does this mean my autism isnt a real disease

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

so do regular visits to a chiropractor :v:
*rolls out in a wheelchair* and how!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The UK's NHS pays for homeopath bullshit too

does this mean my autism isnt a real disease

Only if your autism is defined as the exact same thing as autism, but impossible for a real psychologist to diagnose. Good thing a mysticologist can somehow magically detect it.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 21, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wilderthanmild posted:

Only if your autism is defined as the exact same thing as autism, but impossible for a real psychologist to diagnose. Good thing your mysticologist can somehow magically detect it.

You got him mixed up with an Indigo Child.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
how much of the problems people go in for are related to sitting all day with bad posture or from being fat as gently caress

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

You got him mixed up with an Indigo Child.

Some children turn that color after getting chiropractied, yes.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

this thread makes me want to crack my back

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

In Australia you can be a physiotherapist through a non-university level short course certification, whereas chiropractic certification requires a minimum bachelor level degree, and in my state can only be studied as a double degree alongside applied health sciences. Which is another reason why I have mixed feelings about chiro, but seeing as it is possible to get certifications in all sorts of bullshit naturopathy things I'll probably stick with being mostly sceptical.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Ramsus posted:

how much of the problems people go in for are related to sitting all day with bad posture or from being fat as gently caress

90%

Allopathic medicine cant do much for lovely lifestyle habits. Not that chiropractic can either, but at least an MD will say "there's not much I can do about that"....I dont think those words ahve ever come out of a chiropractors mouth

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Ramsus posted:

"Okay, lets just adjust this back fat a little..."

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
One time i bad mouthed chiropractors in front of friends and this girl got really pissed at me and told me about how she can only feel functional after seeing her's. Coincidentally she also told me she had fibromyalgia on some other occasion. Someone connect the dots for me

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Is this more, less, or equal in legitimacy to chiropractors?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Look at that hair, man. Of course he's legit

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Before one of my best friends went to chiropractic school, I asked him if chiropractors are legit or just wuwu, and he got very offended, "Are you asking if I'm going to school, studying my rear end off, and spending a hundred grand on something fake? Is that what you're asking me?"

I said sorry and have never brought up the subject of healthcare again, though he frequently talks about the evil medical empire of western medicine.

edit: Also when I was poor, I went to a chiropractor because my leg hurt and they had cheap X-Rays. They looked at the X-Ray and said my leg was fine, it was probably just a deep bruise.

A month of limping later I went to a real doctor, and found that I had a fracture clearly visible on an x-ray.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 21, 2015

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Immortan posted:

I've dealt with multiple chiropractors before getting surgery done on my neck.

Chiropractors are the worst loving scam artists of all time. They're popular in the U.S. only because people here are so loving ignorant & gullible.
I think half the reason for the rise in popularity of bullshit medicine in the US is that actual medicine isn't policed for poo poo and malpractice and mis-diagnosis are everywhere, so actual medicine has earned a rep as being long, horribly painful, incredibly expensive and will bankrupt you whether or not you tell them to stop, and at the end you're still in lovely health forever

as the general knowledge base of medicine expands to hilariously large degree, they possibility of a normal patient even beginning to approach being able to qualify whether they're receiving treatment that is truly necessary and the best option dwindles to zero, or even when to know if they have the time or option to get a second opinion that could be just as wrong

tbh the thing has expanded to such a level that if I was a doctor I'd probably be screwing up my diagnoses left and right because there's just an impossible number of things to know, and maybe policing that really would result in a shitload of doctors giving up and flipping burgers or whatever, even maybe the ones that don't usually gently caress up

this does not make chiropractic "medicine" any more real, it is the perception of getting results, giving the patient control, and being at least halfway understandable to a lay person that has given people the idea that it's a real thing that works or is at least a better option than being tortured to death in a hospital

unfortunately I don't see either problem getting any better

praxis posted:

"That'll be $20 for popping your neck. Oh you have insurance? Well you need $20,000 worth of manual soft-tissue musculoskeletal manipulation!"
this is not exactly confined to chiropractic medicine

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 21, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crop_Top_9000 posted:

I want to be a charlatan but apparently becoming a chiropractor requires four years of fake medical school.

is there a step below chiropractor that only takes like a two week certificate or something?

crossfit instructor

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm dating a massage therapist/personal trainer. She often tells me horror stories of incredibly bad sprains/pulls/tears that chiropractors and acupuncturists have made a thousand times worse by tugging on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Phyzzle posted:

You can also get it done under anaesthesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvbMbkFfDu4

I like that you can go under anesthesia just fine and wake up paralyzed from the neck down. oops!

also I like that the doctors could literally just put her under for a few minutes, smoke a cig, come back and collect their paychecks having done nothing. genius

• Locked thread