Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Problem description: I have recently started a brand new build of a desktop and when i have the graphics card installed the system will not boot/output video to the monitor (I dont know which).

The card is an MSI GTX 980 Ti.

When i turn it on the fans on the graphics card spin up but then seem to lose power as they slowly come to a stop.

Every other fan on the interior is working, case and CPU, i can see green lights on the motherboard and on the wireless card, the MSI logo on the card itself is illuminated and i can feel the cards piping is hot to the touch.

When i remove the card the computer boots just fine and i have been able to install my OS, get to the bios etc.

Attempted fixes: I have tried seating the card in other PCIE slots, i have moved the cabling around different ports on my PSU, i have tried booting the system with secure boot disabled from the bios which i came across in my googling for this issue. I have been unable to successfully flash a new version of the motherboards bios (it throws up the error message "not a valid bios file") which was another potential fix that i found but im still working on trying to do it successfully.

It seemed like most posts were concerned with the PSU being unable to power the card, but the power draw of the system should be well under the PSU power as far as i can tell.

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs:

Asus Z97-A Motherboard
Intel i7-4790k Processor
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU
MSI GTX 980 Ti gaming 6G
2 x 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 Mhz
Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Polyakov posted:

I have been unable to successfully flash a new version of the motherboards bios (it throws up the error message "not a valid bios file") which was another potential fix that i found but im still working on trying to do it successfully.

What BIOS version are you on? It looks like that motherboard has at least twelve bios updates.

If using the latest BIOS and it's still not working I'd try another video card temporarily in the computer (or the card in another computer). That would isolate the issue more.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 21, 2015

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Zogo posted:

What BIOS version are you on? It looks like that motherboard has at least twelve bios updates.

If using the latest BIOS and it's still not working I'd try another video card temporarily in the computer (or the card in another computer). That would isolate the issue more.

Im still on the base bios (401), it is resisting all attempts to update the sodding thing but im going to keep at it, it keeps throwing up the error message, "Not a valid bios file" when i try to flash it from the memory stick, i have another mobo which ill try reassembling onto if i cant make it work.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I have tried updating the bios to the latest version, 2401 but it hasnt fixed the issue, im going to try a different video card as soon as i can get my hands on one.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

It seems the motherboard was having issues, i swapped it out for another motherboard (An MSI Z97A) and there is no more problem. Thanks for the assist Zogo.

• Locked thread