Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

phones are for the weak imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 6: Growing like my dick when I slam it in a door. Holy poo poo will this title actually get into the LP archive?

It's spring, I move to engage the last county I can easily reach.

The total numbers are very similar, but they have 130 peasants which tips the balance in my favor bigtime.

I actually got my archers into the battle. The maces tore into the peasants while the swords went around to destroy archers. I have that backwards, but the reason is because of the numbers. Lots of maces vs lots of peasants is better than lots of peasants vs a few swords.

Cleanup.

Took a beating, but came out on top. I'll get better soon I hope!

BOW BEFORE ME

I spend the turn buying cows, shipping cows from other counties, and trying to get the people to survive more than 3 turns on the lack of food the county has.

Top left is the county I just took over. There's nowhere else for the Bishop to go, he's coming right at me. I've got to get an army going and start taxing my people a bit more.

Because the army I can make is 15 men right now. poo poo.

Insulting the Knight as instructed.

Now what do I do? Purple looks ripe for the picking, but I have zero troops left to fight anyone and expect to win. Do I sit and hold for a year and see if I can grab some mercenaries if I stop growing my empire?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Battle speed can be slowed right down from the options menu.

All the other diplomatic options contained flowery default text, but I can still remember the default insult "You are ugly, and your mother dresses you funny"

Consolidate, build archers in your new couties, maybe build a castle.

StarDreamer
Feb 11, 2014
If I remember correctly there is a battle speed setting in this game, turning it down should slow the battles down to manageable speeds.
The biggest flaw in this game is how much the ai lovew peasants in their armies though they are useless. It depletes their counties of people.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't use also issue commands on the minimap? Obviously less accurate but I don't remember having to go back and forth all the time to move troops.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

StarDreamer posted:

If I remember correctly there is a battle speed setting in this game, turning it down should slow the battles down to manageable speeds.
The biggest flaw in this game is how much the ai lovew peasants in their armies though they are useless. It depletes their counties of people.

Those peasant armies are a bitch to deal with though, as they love to burn everything you own outside a castle.

Also, good move on the Bishop: he loves to build the best fortifications, so taking him out early is always bound to make things less frustrating down the road. That said, he WILL be coming after you with a horde, and your lack of anything resembling fortifications could make things go sour for you very quickly. The good news is that he loves peasants and archers the most, meaning pikemen are quite effective against him, which is good as they are comparatively cheap

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't use also issue commands on the minimap? Obviously less accurate but I don't remember having to go back and forth all the time to move troops.

Yes, it is not precise though. Hard to target the far side of some archers.

Battle speed already slowed from 9 to 3.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yes, it is not precise though. Hard to target the far side of some archers.

Battle speed already slowed from 9 to 3.

You don't need to target anything when you have :black101: MACEMEN! Or Knights for that matter.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yes, always get macemen mercenaries because they will gently caress up most armies.

Depending on the terrain you can bait the AI into sending their ground forces after you and if you have a good micro going (it feels weird to say that for this game) you can move in and ruin their archers/crossbows. This tactic will come in super handy when you start getting armies sieging your castles (once you get them) because once you have a Stone Castle the enemy is fairly limited in their abilities without ranged attackers. That and causing damage to a sieging army will increase the number of turns before their siege can commence, giving you ample time to raise another army.

Also grain is handy to have around because you can make a lot of it super quickly, I was honestly quite surprised that you were leaving all of those fields fallow in your home county, but that's probably because I never keep fields empty when I play :v: it is also great to have around because, since it is so easily to amass a huge quantity of it, it is a great source of income in your larger counties. Grain has funded many a castle project or a massive army for me.

but on to actual orders, try to build some palisades around the Bishop the Palisade may not be much to start with but you get free units and going through the 4 (the Norman Keep does not give you bonus units so don't even bother unless you don't have a steady source of stone) castles in order will end with you having 400 or 450 free archers

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 7: You guys play very different than me.

I'm getting people telling me to build castles. I've never built a castle in any of the LOTR games. See my LP for LOTR1 in the LP Archives. I mean, I will because you're all clammoring for it, but I'd much rather murder everyone's face right? But then I wouldn't get to show you the siege.... or will I?

Huh? Whats that other army?

The knight moves to take another county, my big army combines and waits at his border. The consensus is to kill The Bishop (purple) in the top left. I have trouble with that since there is no good way to get to him. The only way is through the Knights territory. :shrug:

The Baron (red army) moves across the south toward the unoccupied county.

Free grain? Don't mind if I do! Now where the gently caress are all the merchants?

The Knight failed to win his battle.

As did The Baron. Note the destroyed field where he walked to attack the town center.

Might as well take out the Knight while I'm here. Note: I have no idea what I'm doing. I was never good with sieges. Hopefully I can break down the gate and do something before dying.

3 more turns. :getin:

It would be nice if they told me what county that happened in.

Found it. Up top by the round spinny wheel thing.

Next turn...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 8: The Knight is besieged (is that a word?)

You can see the fodder I slapped in my army: Peasants. I needed them because without their numbers it probably would have taken 10 or 12 months to build battering rams.

Boiling oil. It tips over and burns anything in its path, regardless of who knocks it over. The big gate is going to be trouble.

The back half of the castle. Note the flag in the corner. Touch that and you win the siege no matter if you only have 1 troop left.

Is that another gate in between the castle parts? I'm going into this with blind stupidity, so we'll see what happens.

RAMMING SPEED!

They pulled back their archers so only like 10 arrows hit the rams which was nice of them. And no oil was dumped on them. Yay for me.

This is the guy equivalent of protecting your balls when in a sporting event.

He backed up, so I sent in peasants to destroy most of his archers that he left just chilling there. Then I brought in my archers to fire over the walls at the second castle part.

I bring in a battering ram and he charges through the now-ruined second gate.

My boys are being slaughtered, I'm severely outnumbered since his swordsmen killed all of mine and then ate my archers for lunch.

But hey, the flag is unprotected and I have macemen right next to it!

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

As you can see my troops got the poo poo kicked out of them.

The Knight says farewell.

And I find more troops in my starting county. Do I buy the troops or wait for something better? I've only seen archers other than these guys in the last 4 turns. Do I still move against the Bishop once I get an army worth a drat?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Not building any castles at all is a fantastic way to ensure that every enemy AI will see your holdings as easy pickings and move against you. That may not be a big deal in your current game, where you're pretty much guaranteed not to have money or food problems due to the default options being used (helped along with the fact that England is probably the easiest scenario to play), but in any game more difficult you'll quickly find that having multiple armies of peasants burning your fields down and taking your holdings will screw you over *very* quickly.

Edit: Pikemen are probably the most cost-effective mercs in the game, with macemen as the only real competition. So yes, buy them.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 22, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Goodness... Memories

So a few things, One, You're not using advanced farming, so there is 0 reason to have any of your fields empty. Load up on grain/cattle. I typically commit to one or the other, but I prefer grain simply because you don't need as many farmers year round to maintain them as opposed to cattle which requires the milk maids there all the time. Lets you put them to work in other resources with grain.

Two, sieges are chiefly about having more archers than the enemy, and macemen to chase down the defenders. (Or the flag, as you showed) Try to bait the pots into spilling on nothing, be ready to have macemen rush in and tie up any defenders that try to retreat when you break through, and archers to keep their own busy.

Three, don't bother with peasants. Don't grab more troops than you have weapons, they are entirely useless and you're spending happiness for no good reason.

Four, the thing about castles is that it makes it so you're not automatically throwing your population against invaders, which is a quick way to empty a country of anything useful assuming you can even fight them off. Castles also put free archers into the garrison upon completion. It does take resources and time, but it's good for certain lands that the enemy is certain to march through while you're fighting other lords.

Anyway, enough :goonsay: But I do love these old games. Also the macemen and swordsmen have some of the best battle cries.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yes, hire those Pikemen

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

But...with the Knight dead, who will we insult?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 9: Army time

I try to move the 35 macemen mercenaries from the army because I would rather pair the archers and swordsmen with the 200 pikemen that I just purchased. I am unable to do so. That means I have to make an army of 50 peasants, combine them with this army, then split out the 35 maces and 15 peasants, and finally combine the non-mercenary leftover army with the pikemen. What a pain in the rear end.

Some Saxon Macemen move to join the party.

And so do some swordsmen.

The swordsmen move north and begin operation "harass the Bishop" by destroying his cows.

My swordsmen take first swing at the enemy army. I hope it's just peasants but luck is not with me today.

Huh. Their pikes start way up there leaving the archers all alone to the left. My swords are faster than the pikes...

ENGAGE AND DESTROY THE ARCHERS!

And then take down as many as possible before dying please.

That poor guy in the middle...

Not bad. He has 273 pikes left.

My army with a few archers/swords and 200 pikes is right here to smack him next turn. Then it looks like I'll have to buy some weapons to compliment the macemen that I have coming up in 2 more turns.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You have got to be kidding me. Units don't automatically attack dudes they are standing next to? I have to manually click on them and make them attack?

No problem, I'll just hit the "mop up" button that the manual states: This button gives a general order to your army to attack and engage the nearest enemy. You may want to issue this command after you have positioned your troops effectively for an all out attack, or when the battle is nearly decided and you wish to end it quickly and easily.

Now what the manual fails to state is that archers will disregard the fact they have arrows and instead will go hand-to-hand which gets them killed immediately and there is no way to turn off the "mop up" command.

I reloaded the 'last turn' save and am rerunning the fight. Ridiculous.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 10: Last update for a bit

It's on, and this time I'm not going to lose. I'm going to set the game speed to 1 and micromanage if that's the only way I can play.

Lined the pikemen up one by one. A pair of swords/peasants stand behind ready to block stragglers from getting to the archers.

The archers lure them with arrows, then hide behind the wall.

It quickly devolves into random groups. Note the swordsman bottom right just standing there next to an enemy and not attacking. :argh:

They are wrapping up on the west side, so my archers concentrate fire there.

Doing good this time.

And that'll do it.

Only 132 men left, that's not nearly enough to attack and take that castle.

The Bishop is angry.

My topmost county lost some cows. I'm selling something like 80 of them every time a merchant steps foot in the county. They grow so fast...

I need more men to combine with that Saxon Macemen army I mentioned earlier. Maybe this will be enough to take that castle.

Combined army. The 50-man army that includes the original 35 macemen are moving to kill cows and raze villages to annoy the Bishop. The remains of that other army do the same.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What are they doing in the south? Waiting for the end?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Razing cropland is... generally not the best idea, considering it'll be your lands before long and you'll have to deal with everything being destroyed.

But hey, this isn't optimal play. gently caress the bishop and his pretentious 'church council' which I'm pretty sure is a bunch of dolls sat around a table that he 'speaks' for.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I know its a bad idea, but gently caress The Bishop. Do you know how smug he is?

I am playing kind of loose and fun to inject some drama into the game because this is way way way way easier than I remember as a kid.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Poil posted:

What are they doing in the south? Waiting for the end?

Its on easy, so...pretty much! It doesn't really help that the AI acts more or less the same regardless of whether or not Advanced Farming, exploration, ect is on, which would make the game much more difficult and quite a bit longer. Obviously, we can't expect someone who's practically new at the game to jump in without understanding any of the mechanics what-so-ever, but this LP will be terribly disappointing if we don't see the more interesting scenarios at the very least: Italy and the Crusades are probably my personal favorites.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

thetruegentleman posted:

Its on easy, so...pretty much! It doesn't really help that the AI acts more or less the same regardless of whether or not Advanced Farming, exploration, ect is on, which would make the game much more difficult and quite a bit longer. Obviously, we can't expect someone who's practically new at the game to jump in without understanding any of the mechanics what-so-ever, but this LP will be terribly disappointing if we don't see the more interesting scenarios at the very least: Italy and the Crusades are probably my personal favorites.

I was considering stopping the scenario and doing something else. Lets vote!

Whats the consensus? New scenario or atvanced everything (farming and whatever) or more difficult setting?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

higher AI difficulty

Advanced farming doesn't really affect the enemy but it does mean you can potentially have really lovely counties after the computer has taken them over. Army foraging can come in handy but you have to be careful about having too many troops in your counties because you will see your food stores shrink REALLY fast, especially once you get 3 or 4 in one county in one season

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, bump up the difficulty and start over. Be The Sheriff, Red Shield.

Take Nottinghamshire ASAP.

Neg The Countess.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Max out difficulty Advance farming, foraging armies, the lot. I think you can handle it. Lets Play another map as well.

BTW, another useful little tip - the H and V keys form the troops - V a vertical line two deep, H is a sort of horizontal block.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Highest or second highest difficulty, advanced farming, armies eat, crusades

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

BTW, another useful little tip - the H and V keys form the troops - V a vertical line two deep, H is a sort of horizontal block.

what, how have I been playing this game for almost 20 years and not known this :stare:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

The Saurus posted:

Highest or second highest difficulty, advanced farming, armies eat, crusades

That's a lot of mechanics to learn on the fly; especially for someone who doesn't form alliances or build castles. Just bump the difficulty and change the map for now (crusades!). If you're using the Royal addition from GOG, you should have the New Campaign option, which would probably be even better.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 2.1:

To be honest I never even noticed that the last game was on Easy or else I would have put it on hard myself.

I'll try some advanced farming as well. gently caress starving armies though. When I have to run an army across the entire map I can't have them dying or else the game will be basically unplayable.

I need to keep two fields fallow, maybe 3 at all times.

This will hurt since as you can see over half my fricken fields are flooded/unusable. I'll need to crank the peasants to fix the fields so I can grow grain and cattle.

What am I doing with cows? Nothing? All grain errday? Vote please!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah yes, that's hard mode. Good luck getting your farms up!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Advanced farming is worth it because you'll be chucking out so many resources and weapons later in the game that you'll basically be unstoppable.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 2.2: Grain for everyone!

I have cows. I have very few workable fields, so going 100% grain will not work right now. I have to keep the cows until I can get 1 (hoping for 2) fields expanded so that I can transition in one giant "sell all cows, plant all grain" in the winter.

I sell 20-30 cows at a time to get to this point. The max number of people my county can support right now is roughly 900. When I get to ~1000 I buy weapons like this. Note that this is 2 years and change, so 10 turns from the previous screenshot because nothing happened.

Then I do this to keep my population in check and my army growing. This is on hard difficulty, so I assume my ~250 man armies won't cut it anymore. Add in the 150 weapons I started with and the army grows pretty quick.

Getting there. Few more and I'll go!

The Bishop has taken another county down south.

But the Countess is not happy with him and decides to challenge his rule! I am too far away to do anything so I've been buttering them all up with flattery... except The Knight.

I make the change from Cows to Grain and get smacked with poor fertility. It must be a season behind because I have 4 unused fields and 6 crops. That is good enough for "average" at least I think.

Selling cows means I get to buy weapons.

The Baron takes a county as well.

The Countess stands triumphant over The Bishops army.

The Barons army that just took that county.

The following season The Countess takes that county away from The Bishop. You go girlfriend :nyd:

The Baron is not satisfied with just two counties.

Good enough.

I move to take the left-most counties. Not pictured: The Countess denying me an alliance.

They have a lot more troops than I thought they would.

I succeed in getting the enemy in a classic pincer move. The macemen hammered them from behind while the Swords and Pikes both plugged a hole on the map. They turned to engage the macemen and now I've got them surrounded. No idea what a pincer move is, I just heard it somewhere once.

They have pikemen and a few maces, so the archers concentrate on the Peasants and lightly armored Macemen. Oh, and that single archer that my maces didn't kill yet.

Archers thin their ranks quickly which is pretty amazing.

That'll do it. First battle on hard and it was a resounding success!

I need more maces, but that went really well.

Oooh, they have Excellent Fertility! Yay for them, I'll be eating the cows slowly and transitioning to full-crops like my main town.

The Bishop is moving south and combining armies. Not pictured: The Baron telling me to get hosed when I asked for an alliance.

One more county behind me, then I'll look into expanding to the east and south from there.

Still excellent crop rotation. I love it.

My blacksmiths are at 85% efficiency now. They are putting out 50 maces per season, or 20 swords.

So that's everyone that doesn't want an alliance with me. Fine, I'll do it myself!

Unless...

Next update: Taking another county and then realizing that I don't have a stone mine in any of my 3 counties. I realized it now, but I'll still take that county back there anyway.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I'll just repost what I already said: Cows are great for small counties (like the one you just took), as 2-4 fields can feed several hundred people. More cows are needed for a larger population than this, which eventually comes at the cost of the "off" seasons to work the mines that grain provides, with the added benefit that grain is much easier to replace than cattle if you gently caress up and your population begins to starve.

In other words, a balance of cattle and grain is more-or-less always ideal. As for your attempts at an alliance, they were doomed from the start due to your lack of force: they need to not only like you, but also fear you. Fortunately for you, the Countess and the Bishop are both probably the worst allies in the game, so no real loss: the Bishop will never help you, and the Countess will backstab you the moment your armies are too far from your holdings to defend you.

The Baron and the Knight, by contrast, are slightly better: The Baron is more likely to help you, but is equally likely to backstab you at a moments notice. The Knight is probably the "best" ally in terms of helping you fight against a particular enemy and not backstabbing you, but this is counterbalanced by his pure aggression, which usually means that he gets weaker and weaker as the game goes on.

Note that ALL of them expect to be bribed if you want to have any real chance at obtaining a meaningful alliance; compliments will never be enough, unless you're already to the point of not needing them an as ally. In fact, too many compliments will convince them that your actually treacherous, lowering relations.

Edit: the off seasons for grain are summer and spring, for anyone who doesn't know, so you don't need as many people working the fields then. Fall is the time of harvest, and winter is the time of planting, so you want more people in those seasons.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 23, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh my god this game. I have sunk untold hours into this game and I still love it. And the voice work for your advisor is wonderful, as is the music.

It is a pretty easy game, all told. Putting all the difficulty settings and challenges to maximum makes it fun, though. :getin:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

This LP just doesn't have the same feeling without the music, so everyone play this when Smurf's doing county stuff :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxeUZhp2QM

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Update 2.3: These dominos fall like a house of cards. Checkmake.

Well gently caress you too. I'll do it myself.

That's a lot of peasants. That is more than I was hoping, especially from such a small little county.

They line up here, so I send my archers north to pepper them with arrows and draw them out.

They don't take the bait and chase my archers. They move 1 square northwest every time I shoot them. Great. You see my maces hidden to the left behind the trees to hit them from the back once they take the bait.

So I hit them with everything, archers aiming for the light armored guys again.

It goes well.

Alright, Edmund the Black has 3 counties and is clearly the best lord.

Consolidate? Consolidate what? That doesn't even make sense. I'm going to go kill more stuff.

Ah, the joys of harvest season.

The new county doesn't have anything. No lumberyard, no quarry, no iron mine. Nothing. So I guess they'll make all my weapons in their free time!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A good source of soldiers and food carts as well. This time looks much more interesting than the last. BTW with armies eating, they forage from the county that they're in, even if it's not yours! :getin: so it's quite the double edged sword. You could also game the system by conscripting excess peasants that you couldn't feed, and send them over the border to sit in the next county until you want them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

of course you have to be careful with that because if it is an enemy's county then they WILL form an army and kill your peasants.

What I can't wait for is the one or two counties that revolt against the AI and you walk in with your massive army and the people are all "oh, hi, welcome to our county :)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

A good source of soldiers and food carts as well.

What is? I have been awake for 24hrs now and dont understand.

Few more posts for new page and then I have a treat. I found all the wav files, so every letter from the enemies as well as battle music 1-5, town music, even swords/archer/whatever responding to commands... also the steward. The annoying annoying steward who reads everything on the entire screen.

• Locked thread