Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Problem description: Windows Update is failing to install updates, and has been for some weeks. I have 55 important updates, dating back to April, available for installation. When I attempt to install them, it proceeds and then tells me to reboot. After restart it applies all 55, then says "working..." counting up a percentage. Before it gets to 100% it reboots, then comes up into a green "restarting" screen, then after another reboot it says "getting windows ready" and finally lets me log in. When I do, I still have 55 (now 56?) important updates to install.

Attempted fixes: I've tried installing only selecting a single update for install, but it still applies all 55. Event Viewer includes entries like

quote:

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3033446)
but the update in question is still listed as needing installation. windowsupdate.log also lists success for the updates. Update history shows at least some of them (maybe all, I haven't checked all 55) as failed, with an installation date in June.

Recent changes: I can't think of any changes around that time. While it's been happening I've replaced my graphics cards.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit

System specs:

• i7-4790K
  • ASUS Maximus Hero VII
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 2x NVIDIA reference 980 Ti
  • EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
  • Samsung EVO 840 (750GB)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled extensively, but don't see the FAQ in this forum?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

After running the fixit at (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058) and the brute force cache clean thing described at (http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-update-problems-using-automatic-reset-script/) I'm now down to 25 stuck needing to be installed. Progress I guess?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible to do a system restore going back to before these update issues? Doing that and then trying to do a smaller amount of updates incrementally (ten or so at a time) might fix this issue.

You just have the one SSD as an OS drive right? Sometimes a failing HD can cause update issues but that's probably not the issue here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for the reply!

Zogo posted:

Is it possible to do a system restore going back to before these update issues? Doing that and then trying to do a smaller amount of updates incrementally (ten or so at a time) might fix this issue.

You just have the one SSD as an OS drive right? Sometimes a failing HD can cause update issues but that's probably not the issue here.

Rolling back the system to April would be sort of frustrating, but I could try it if it's likely to fix things. The OS is all on the SSD, yeah, and I haven't seen any other issues with it. It's been in service less than a year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Rolling back the system to April would be sort of frustrating, but I could try it if it's likely to fix things.

Yea, it's one of the first things to try.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sadly, I don't have restore points going back that far, just to early July. :negative:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Sadly, I don't have restore points going back that far, just to early July. :negative:

Is the OS working perfectly fine except for these update issues?

A reinstall (or an update to Windows 10) may be in order. That's what I'd typically do in a situation like this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zogo posted:

Is the OS working perfectly fine except for these update issues?

A reinstall (or an update to Windows 10) may be in order. That's what I'd typically do in a situation like this.

Yeah, everything else seems great. I can even print and scan!

Should I try the "refresh windows" option? I'm hoping to wait on W10 until things like "uninstalling graphics drivers" are sorted out a bit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Should I try the "refresh windows" option?

Yes, that would be the quicker and easiest thing to try first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zogo posted:

Yes, that would be the quicker and easiest thing to try first.

OK, cool. Now to find my install media...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You aren't dual-booting are you? There is at least one known-issue with a Windows update that fails if the default bootloader is anything other than Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nope, simple 8.1 boot. Thanks for the idea though.

I might just go for the Windows 10 upgrade and assume that'll reset everything. Otherwise I'll make install media and refresh this weekend.

• Locked thread