Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

Welcome to Camp Echo Lake, campers! We're all gonna have a great time here over the next four weeks, aren't we? I said, we're gonna have fun, aren't we?

I can't hear you, campers!

Nestled deep in the scenic forests of Colorado, Echo Lake Summer Activity Camp is the perfect place to spend your summer, assuming you're between the ages of 16 and 18 and enjoy being a million miles away from the nearest sign of civilization. There's kayaking and hiking and arts-and-crafts and fireside sing-alongs and lots of other activities that adults think kids think are fun. In other words, it's boring as gently caress. Even worse, there's no wifi; hell, you're lucky if you get a phone signal. (Cell phones are against the rules, campers! Not that that stops literally everyone from bringing theirs.) At least you're away from your stupid parents though, right?

And of course, like every camp, it has its share of ghost stories. Like the crocodile that lives in Echo Lake and eats virgins. And the guy who first built the place, who everybody knows strangled his wife and then went crazy and still lives somewhere out in the woods.

Of course, it's a little easier to believe in things that go bump in the night when you are one yourself. The scariest thing here at summer camp is probably you, you unholy abomination you.

Still, best make sure you keep some fresh batteries in your flashlight. You know, just in case.

It can get pretty dark out here.

What are you on about?
Monsterhearts! Teenage horrors vowing to eat each others' still-beating hearts and then getting sidetracked angsting over whether or not Susie likes them that way. I intend to keep apps open until August the 3rd July 27th or so, but I might adjust that depending on how many apps I get. New players are more than welcome; MH is dead easy to learn.

Skins
Here's a big list of MH Skins I put together with help from a bunch of goons. Core skins are of course okay (and recommended if you've never played MH before), as are any other official ones. I'm amenable to others, but please ask me first.

Questions
In addition to your character sheet and information about you, I'd like to hear a few things about Camp Echo Lake:
  • What's an activity they have set up out here? As a high-schooler you've got some (emphasis on some) choice about how to spend your days, so what's your favorite thing to do?
  • What's a weird place you've found around the campgrounds? How do you get there?
  • Which fellow camper (or counselor) talked to you when you first got here? Do you think they're cool? Can you trust them?
  • What's the dumbest, least believable story you've heard about Camp Echo Lake? Obviously it's just bullshit... right?
  • Optionally, what terrible pun should I use for the thread title?
e: Finding a picture and theme song is strongly encouraged!

Now for the fine print. Monsterhearts is a game that touches on a lot of controversial topics. Sex, drugs, violence, and macrame are all on the menu. That said, the idea here is to have fun roleplaying as Teen Wolf's Bicurious Cousin, not to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Please let me know if you have any concerns, and note that the X-Card Rule should be considered in effect at all times. The guys who made MH wrote this useful guide on the topic. Bottom line? Don't be a creep!

I have PMs and generally can be found hanging around in the synIRC channel #swampthings, so drop by if you have any questions or just want to talk about your app.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Kailey Rainwater, the Coyote

I've always been clever. That's not even bragging or anything, that's like... a statement of fact. I'm not gonna be falsely humble about it, I am quick on the uptake and oh my God am I so above this stupid high school drama everyone else is obsessed with. They're thinking so small, and do you know what it's like to be surrounded by a bunch of narcissistic, self-obsessed idiots all summer?

It's hilarious! I love it!

So, to catch you up, born about seventeen years ago in Florida - the boring Panhandle part though, I know it sucks - to hippy parents. I mean, my least name is Rainwater which really made life easy for me when it came time for kids to assign nicknames. Between having to shoot back retorts for that, and having three older siblings who were all bigger than me, it's no wonder that I'm like, incredibly good at lying. Seriously, lying is like... ninety-five percent of what I do. You gotta be creative and smart and witty, and it all comes naturally to me. There's just something so satisfying about knowing things other people don't, but more than that... a couple careful words, and I can create new worlds. I'm basically an artist.

Did well in school - duh - and got in trouble all the time - also duh - this part's kinda boring so I'm hitting fast forward, you can deal with it. The day I turned thirteen, I had a dream after my party. It'd taken sooo much effort, but I'd managed to blackmail my sister Laura into hooking me and my friends up with some weed. I had like, a spiritual journey laying on my beanbag - my parents were out of town on a vision quest, Laura was in charge - and I dreamed of the park I always walked in.

Oh poo poo, I skipped that plot point. Anyways, I love to take walks. You know, it's soothing, gives you time to center yourself, and most importantly gives you time to really think. It's when I come up with my best plans. That and the shower. Secondly, there was this cool park near our house, with this big old playground in the middle of it. Super space-agey and corny, and even better the paint was all faded and a swing-set had completely ivy'd over, it was amazing. It was my favorite place to walk, and it was like no one else even knew it existed. I was always the only one there.

Anyways, that dream I mentioned? I wasn't alone there for once. There was a skinny guy with a goatee and a cowboy hat and a really obnoxious grin, but half the time he was literally a Coyote. It was weird but a dream, so I rolled with it. He asked if I wanted to take a walk, and I said yeah that sounds cool. I mean why wouldn't I? Dreams couldn't hurt me, I was stoned, it was my birthday, and something about his smile? It was the way I smiled. I trusted him.

We walked a while, and talked. To be honest I thought he was kinda a jerk at first. He asked me about myself right out the gate, and I started talking about school and classes and my hobbies and he kept making fun of me, talking about how little all that mattered and making jokes about the things I cared about. I got made and tried some of my best insults but that coyote-guy was lightning-quick on the comebacks, and the thing was, he wasn't really being a dick about any of it. I mean, we walked for hours and I never hit him, but I did feel like it a few times. Mostly I just realized that like... smart as I was? I'd let some petty poo poo blind me. My life was hilarious, but at least I was in on the joke now! And I could fix it! What's more, I could share Coyote's wisdom. That or trick them so I could laugh at their misfortune. Both are good.

Sadly not even the cleverest kid at Camp can outsmart everything. For example, Gran's unfortunate desire to pay to send me to Camp Echo Lake this summer. I'm seventeen! I shouldn't have to go! Do you know how much I tried to blackmail my parents to get out of this? Alas, none of it worked. So here I am, and since I'm here I'm gonna make the best of things. There's a lot of people around here that could use my help - I mean, Coyote himself basically acknowledged how clever I was, did he show up in your dreams? Didn't think so. So yeah, gonna offer some advice, some of it may even be good! Oh, and find a summer romance! And I wonder if anyone's set-up a black market here yet, or if that's even possible... hmm... like I said, big plans for this place!

quote:

Name: Kailey Rainwater
Skin: The Coyote
Origin: Walked the Path Unseen
Look: Garish Colors, Starry Eyes

Stats
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Moves
Silver Tongue
You just cant resist showing people how wise and clever you are. When someones in trouble, or being foolish, tell them what you think they should do. Its up to you whether to give honest advice or try to trick them. If they choose not to do what you tell them to, give them a String. If they follow your advice and wish they hadnt, or vice versa, take 2 Strings on them and they mark experience.

Fox and Crane
When you embarrass someone publicly, give them a String and a Condition. When you get caught in your own trick, mark experience.

Kallisti
When you successfully manipulate an NPC, theyll conveniently forget that you were the origin of the idea. Perhaps theyll think it was their own idea, or blame someone else, or just not notice. Others might figure it out if they find evidence of your involvement, though.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Sex Move
After you have sex, ask them if it was real or just for fun. If they say it was real, laugh at them and take a String. If they say it was just for fun, give them 2 Strings on you and mark experience.

Darkest Self
They all think youre just a harmless clown. Silly Coyote, they say. But this time the jokes on them. Come up with the most devious trick you can, the nastier and more convoluted the better, and put it into action. Be vicious. Be petty. Spread their secrets and burn their toys. Play them all for fools and let somebody else take the fall. Itll be hilarious. And if you hurt somebody who trusts you in the process? That just makes it even funnier.

You escape your Darkest Self when you pull off your trick, or when you realized youve been the one getting fooled.

Backstory
Someone trusts your wisdom. Take a String on them.

You embarrassed someone in front of everybody. Give them a Condition and two Strings on you.

ADVICE GIVEN
Sam - You should run away from the cult - Ignored
Sam - You should help me to the nurse's office - ?

quote:

What's an activity they have set up out here? As a high-schooler you've got some (emphasis on some) choice about how to spend your days, so what's your favorite thing to do?

Ugggghhhhh. They have a weekly game of dodgeball. It's sadistic. You can't talk your way out of dodgeball, you can't talk your way out of getting hit in the face, and it's all the campers at once so the teams are massive. It's basically Vietnam in there! Last week it was even Army dodgeball, so if you got hit on your leg you had to hop around on one leg like an idiot! What kind of horrible Trenchbull-figure came up with the idea?

As far as stuff here that I don't totally hate, there's the Trails. I mean there's quite a few of them and they all have individual names, but that's what they're called as a group. It's a bunch of twisting and winding paths through the woods in the middle of camp, and it's not only easy to get lost in them, the foliage is so dense that it's hard to see anything past about thirty feet or so. Perfect place for doing things where you probably won't be seen... and one of the two reasons I patrol them. You have no idea what kind of cool stuff you'll find out! Plus they're relaxing and peaceful, and according to a barrage of legends, haunted. By seemingly like, an army of ghosts, I have no idea why they'd think I'm stupid enough to believe any of that "haunted by dead campers" bs.

quote:

What's a weird place you've found around the campgrounds? How do you get there?

Oh man, the Counselor's Office Cabin! Yeah like, the command center of the oppressive adults that run this place. The not incredibly secure command center, since they literally keep a key to it under a fake rock in the rock garden next to it. Maybe they don't know about it, which would be even better! Anyways, I've only been in once, even if I found the key on my third day here after some diligent searching and lucky guesswork - this place is like a prison, they always have counselors there and it's a strictly off-limits area for campers.

That day that the golf cart got stuck in that really deep mudhole that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, though? I managed to sneak in and look around! It's so unfair, they have a kitchen and a TV and a basement, and it's not even where they live! I knew I didn't have that much time since the hole I'd dug overnight really wasn't that deep, so I looked around until I found the laptop and microphone they used to do announcements. It took like, ten seconds to type in the password - they'd left a post-it note with the password written on it on the laptop, helpfully - and like, another ten to throw a song on at maximum volume. After that I hightailed it, but it was amazing! No one knew who did it, it got stuck in basically every camper's head for at least the day, and for once the announcements didn't suck! Totally need to think of a better use for the speakers, though - that was just testing the waters. This next plan's gonna be bigger, better. You'll see.

quote:

Which fellow camper (or counselor) talked to you when you first got here? Do you think they're cool? Can you trust them?

Luke Smith has a couple things that basically make him awesome, but totally undatable. He's totally laid back, which I figured out when he tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I wanted to smoke cigarettes on a swing with him. Free smokes and lots of discussion later, and I discovered the next thing about him. He thinks he's brilliant like me, but really he's just misuses a couple big words and tries to weakly argue, then agrees with whoever's he's arguing with since he's lazy. The last thing is he's totally gullible, which is hilarious. I've sent him to two different "mandatory" camp meetings on the opposite side of camp just in time for him to miss dinner, and he's totally bought that it was an honest mistake both times. It's amazing! I'd feel bad for him if he didn't have such an expressive "What Just Happened" look, it's... well you gotta see it, it probably won't be long.

quote:

What's the dumbest, least believable story you've heard about Camp Echo Lake? Obviously it's just bullshit... right?

Other than the haunted woods? Probably the one that it's secretly a government facility. Like, there's woods everywhere so it's hard to see much of anything beyond the edge of camp, and yeah we are definitely locked in here, but that's a bit too The Prisoner to be real life. I did see a super out of place metal door in the Counselor's Office, but that's probably where they keep the money for overcharging parents to ship their kids off to this peppy nightmare camp. There'd be no reason to setup a facility here when they could just use kids in orphanages, or the homeless. I mean like, not saying they should, just saying unless there was something special about either the camp itself or us campers, there'd be no reason for the Government to shell out big bucks to setup here, and to keep it secret too!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 8, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Working on a Werewolf

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Possibly a werewolf possibly something else.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Interest post, not sure what skin yet

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Something something interest post

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Judy Benedict, The Heir

Song

We all came here together, but I'm afraid we aren't all going to leave.

The Gang of Eight... guess it should be the Gang of Seven now... We knew each other since we were kids, all grew up in the same couple of blocks in South Acres. Went to the same schools, did the same clubs, our families all went camping together in the summers. We were like family too, since none of us had any siblings, well except for Lexa and Axel, but they're twins so that doesn't quite count. We did everything together, and when we turned sixteen (once the last of us turned 16, I'm the oldest of the lot, A Scorpio from the previous year), we all got a friendship tattoo, on our left wrists, a chain of eight snakes, entwined together, one for each of us. We were a 'gang' of friends, we never had an official leader, but if we had one... it was me.

This year, we thought we'd all go to the same Summer Camp, and I picked Echo Lake because of the rumors, and the old story of lost Indian Gold. Native American gold, I should say. We knew we wouldn't end up in the same cabins, but we figured we could all cause trouble together, prank every cabin, and do subtler jokes than if we were all in the same one. And it worked out just like that, a couple of us were doubled up, but for the most part we were on our own.

A few nights in when we were meeting in secret in the woods, Lyn showed up all excited, she'd found an old map, folded up under the lovely camp mattress they called a bed. The map was written in code, sort of, more riddles than anything, and it took us a few nights to figure it out, but in the end we found the destination, a treasure chest, a real treasure chest(!!) hidden in the shelter under a fallen tree, under a heavy rock. When we opened it.... we couldn't believe our eyes. It was full, completely full, of gold coins. Real, solid, gold coins. Daniel's dad works in the bank, and had showed him real gold before, so he checked it, and it was real. No words or symbols on it, except for a faded face. We each took one, but no one was brave enough to take more than that, what if the real owner came back looking for it? They wouldn't notice 8 coins, and this was good money as it was. Maybe we'd come back for more at the end of the trip, right?

We all went back to the cabins to sleep, and I'm sure it took hours for all of us to get to sleep, with the excitement of the find, but in the end we all did. And when I slept, I had a dream. The eight of us, standing in a circle, jeering while we danced in a shower of gold, tossing the coins into the air and grabbing handfuls to stuff into our pockets, blood pouring from our empty eyes. And then Axel and Lexa both grabbed the same coin, and then they were fighting, and before anyone could say or do anything, Lexa had stabbed Axel, taken the gold and run. We ran after to look for her, but when we met up, she wasn't there, and Jamie was gone as well. Then Daniel. Then Richard came back, holding Rachel's head. Instead of the blood in his eyes, he had two gold coins. I smashed his head in with the empty chest. The rest of the dream was flashes of images, of each of us killing each other, or just us laying dead. Lyn was drowned in the water, Rachel's cabin was on fire, and we could hear her screaming, but none of us could move to get inside. Throughout the entire dream, a voice repeated itself over and over, "THROUGH BLOOD WAS IT TAKEN, AND FROM BLOOD SHALL IT BE RETURNED." And then, at the very end, as I awoke in a cold sweat, "ONLY ONE CAN SURVIVE."

When we talked the next day, we'd all had the same dream, though who was watching and killed someone with the chest at the end changed to who had the dream, and who did what to who was different for everyone. But the message was the same. But we were friends. None of us would every kill another. The idea was ridiculous! After enough talking, we ended up laughing it off, and were able to go back to sleep the next night, confident nothing would happen. But what no one noticed, was that the snakes in the tattoos on our wrists had changed, each one was eating the tail of the next. And the dream happened again. We noticed the tattoos the next day, but we all agreed again, nothing would happen. That night, the dream was the same, but just before the end, the voice said in its flat, cold and echoing voice, "IT WILL CLAIM YOU ALL IF YOU DO NOT ACT." And that morning, Lyn was missing.

The councilors found her first, floating face down in the middle of the lake. They said no one could have gotten out there to drown her, the boats were locked up at night, so it must have been an accident. Her coin wasn't on her body though. None of us have looked each other in the eye since then. I can feel them staring at each other though, at me. I need someone to watch my back, but can I trust any of them? On my wrist, there are only 7 snakes left. And one of them is mine.

The Heir posted:

Name: Judy Benedict
Look: on edge, haunted eyes
Origin: Blood Curse

Moves:
Old Family FriendOne of the Gang
When you take your fourth harm, fall down dying. You can't avoid death, but you can transfer it to one of your remaining siblings. Death, be it as a robed figure or as a shadow in the door, comes for them instead of you. When you wake into life again, you're fully healed.

That is, unless your fourth harm is dealt by your secret weakness: Obsidian. In that case your next remaining sibling inherits your powers, and you just die.

Inheritance of the Eldest
When someone with one of your Birthrights dies, whether by your hand or not, fill in that Birthright's circle. Their gift is bestowed on you, and you've unlocked that power.

Firstborn
When you get someone to attend to your needs, perhaps combing your hair or bringing you a glass of water, gain a String on them.

Birthrights
0 Echo in Here
Daniel, who's a Sagittarius
When you want a sibling to parrot back something you told them to remember, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they say it verbatim. On a 7-9, as above, but they sound like you when they say it.

0 An Inclusive Family
Jamie, who's a Taurus
Characters with either the like a sister to me or like a brother to me Conditions count as your siblings.

0 Brief Candles
Richard, who's a Libra
When you kill someone, mark experience.

0 Pluralize
Axel, who's a Gemini
If a Condition that you're handing out could apply to two people present, give it to both of them.

0 Pull The Strings
Rachel, who's a Cancer
Siblings that you specify move their bodies exactly as you move yours until you let them stop.

0 You're All The Same
Lexa, who's a Gemini
You can spend Strings on siblings interchangeably.

Stats
Hot 0
Cold -1
Volatile +1
Dark +1

Sex Move
After you have sex with someone, tell them about your secret weakness or a peaceful time you shared with one of your siblings. They tell you about their relationship with death.

Darkest Self
Treason. You've just this instant put the pieces together, and not a moment too soon. There are those who've feigned kindness to you, and you've even let your guard down a little - but they didn't count on your survivor's instinct. Quickly, cleverly, before they can retreat or mount their defenses, you must strike them down unerringly. You escape your Darkest Self when your paranoia is revealed to be unfounded, or when you push away everyone who cares about you.

Backstory
You've revenged yourself on someone. Agree why and how, and give them 2 Strings on you.

You're afraid of what someone can & will do. Give them 2 Strings on you.

You have six blood siblings, each with a gift that can become yours. In your Birthrights section, list their names and ages with at least one born each year after you. Gain a String on each.

What's an activity they have set up out here? As a high-schooler you've got some (emphasis on some) choice about how to spend your days, so what's your favorite thing to do?
One of the coolest activities they have is night-kayaking. Which doesn't sound cool on paper really, going out in a kayak in the middle of night. Sounds more like night accidents and getting soaked. But the water in the lake is full of bioluminescent plankton, so when you go out in the kayaks, the movement of the boat and the paddling of the oars stirs them up and makes them glow, making everyone's boat surrounded by a glowing field of water. It looks really beautiful, and with no lights on anywhere else around, you can see the stars as well, shining off the surface of the water. They do a night kayaking event every friday, and I would have been looking forward to it, but with it being so dark... I'm a bit nervous.

During the day, before, I used to do hikes in the woods with my friends, but since.... then.... I've been nervous about going out alone, or with them. So I've been sticking to groups of people, no one would do anything in a group, though its not like anyone is going to try anything anyway! My new favorite is Archery, they have practice butts setup for use almost the entire day, and there's always a few people there, and a supervisor. It gives me a chance to unwind, and archery itself is a rather peaceful activity, you can't do it stressed out, so you have to relax. And if the worst comes to it... I'll be able to defend myself. Not that it will.

Out in the woods, up on the hill, just about where the trees are the thickest, is a clearing, almost a perfect circle actually, that sinks to form a bowl, completely free of trees and brush. In the center, is a small fire pit of stones, clearly used by every generation of campers to light illegal party fires. I don't understand how the councilors haven't discovered it, because directions to it were etched into the trail head map at the start of one of the trails. They did say what it was, just how to get there, so I followed them.

The weirdest thing about it though, is that when I dug around a little at the bottom of the pit, below the rocks campers put there, and the dirt and soot at the bottom, is a smooth stone floor. I checked in a few other places around the circle, and it was the same. The bowl was man-made, but for what purpose? Did some old tribe light fires here, the same us? Or perhaps darker rituals? Haha.

Which fellow camper (or counselor) talked to you when you first got here? Do you think they're cool? Can you trust them?
Simon Shelton is a pretty handsome guy I met, he's in the same cabin as Richard, though I didn't know that until later. We ended up on the same introductory group, and none of The Gang were there, so we ended up talking. He wants to be a DJ apparently, which is pretty cool, and actually lives sort of near South Acres, which is crazy, no one lives near there. I thought we hit it off pretty well, but Lyn is -was- really into him, so I was keeping my distance to let her have a chance. Guess I don't have to do that anymore though...

What's the dumbest, least believable story you've heard about Camp Echo Lake? Obviously it's just bullshit... right?
There are an awful lot of weird stories about Camp Echo Lake. I would have said the lost gold story was the least believable, but well... that sure turned out to be true didn't it? Shiver. Failing that, people say the lake is man made- or rather, hand made. Underneath it, is an old Temple where they practiced human sacrifice by the thousands, though if anyone bothered to read they'd know this is the wrong area for historical human sacrifice practices. Anyway, the Temple used to be in the bottom of the valley, until it was flooded by wrathful gods of another tribe. On stormy nights, the spirits of the drowned come alive to seek revenge on those who slew them, or any living thing they can find.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 24, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Ima make a Witch or a Chosen, I think.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Jewel Prince, the Unicorn

Music:The Birthday Massacre - Surrender

Have you ever felt Them? I know you haven't seen Them because if you had seen Them you wouldn't be talking to me right now. You couldn't be. But have you felt Them? In the alleyways, or in empty halls? The tension. The scratching in the back of your skull. They're always out of sight until it's time to collect. Like a shortness of breath. Do you know what I mean now? That feeling that you're being watched when of course you aren't. That feeling like you're not alone when you're really alone. Like any shadow might be hiding someone - or something vile, waiting for you.

Well, I've seen Them. One, at least. When I was very young, I think two, I did.

If you wanted me to describe It to you, I'm sorry, I don't know how. It doesn't...They don't...belong. They're something else. I know that anyone else who ever confronts Them face to face and somehow comes back out of the dark is generally too far gone; mentally, that is - to really describe Them. But I might have just repressed it, or maybe I was too young. Or maybe I'm crazy, too. But my parents (Julius and Miranda), bless them, they've kept me safe. We keep moving, most of the time we're on the road. Whenever there's a break or a lapse in school I'm somewhere else. I guess they saw something on the monitor coming for me, and they went to confront what they thought was an intruder and It was gone before they could get a good look at It. But I had seen It.

After that, they consulted some people. Real experts. Like, paranormal experts, I guess. Every one of those experts told my parents that I was a lost cause. That eventually, They were going to come back and take me into the shadows. Well, mom and dad kept me moving. They bought an RV and we've mostly lived on the road. Always half a step ahead of Them. At least I've seen a lot of the country, I guess. I go to school, sure. Mostly, home-schooled. But every so often I end up in a public school for a couple of months. And then people start disappearing. Children, adults, the elderly. It doesn't matter. They take who They want to take. So we leave, again. Sometimes we wait for a break; sometimes we don't dare to. Slowly, we started to pick up a pattern: the bigger the city, the larger the population, the worse it gets. So we head for rural areas a lot of the time. Sometimes my parents, well, they need to make a few bucks, so we still end up hunkering down every so. Until it gets bad again. But for now, they needed to be in a bigger city; they couldn't find work in a small town and we needed some money to make repairs to the RV. Which means either I stay in a city for a while; which is bad news for everyone - or they do, and I go somewhere smaller.

So now I'm here - Camp Echo Lake. Not a very large population, which is good, because that means it will take time; until They catch up to me. But really, less time than mom and dad think. Honestly, there's only so much they could do. Because, see, I do remember that night. It's my first memory, really. And I still can't describe Them to you, but It made me a Promise. A real Promise. It told me I was very special - too special to take, right away. But when it did take me, something very bad would happen. To Everyone. And I'm not sure why, but I know It was being honest. It meant it. And I know the bargain, now. A life for a life. When It catches up with me, I have a choice. I come with It - or I point it to another. Four months is going to be too long, mom and dad. They get more and more impatient, now. Hungrier, maybe. At the very least more aggressive. So I think...I might need to get a few people lost. And I feel bad about it, I really do. I don't want to give people to Them. But what else can I do? I...I'm afraid. Afraid of what might happen if I let It have me. So I'll do what I have to, one way or another. There are, after all, a lot of shadows in the forest.

quote:

Name: Jewel Prince
Skin: The Unicorn
Look: trick of the light, stoic eyes
Origin: survivor

People Should Never: be selfish, disobey elders, dance, do drugs, look into a mirror in the dark, sing out of key, walk widdershins in the moonlight

Stats:
Hot: +1
Cold: -1
Volatile: +1
Dark: +0
Integrity: +0

Moves:

With Integrity
You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
- you take the moral highground about an issue that matters,
- you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Prophecies
When you predict the outcome of a PC's intended action well before they undertake it, roll with integrity (& then erase 1). On a 10 up, the decisive move's roll will succeed as a result of 10 up, or automatically miss, choose now.
On a 7-9, as above, but you'll have to be there to help it along.
On a successful roll, read this aloud:
"A PC may defy this prediction by breaking their own heart."

Hunted
There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
- stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity,
- call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience,
- look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters.

Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Sex Moves
You have three intimacy moves: When you lay your head in a virgin's lap, gain a point of Integrity and choose:
- give them 1 forward to protecting you,
- roll to turn them on.

When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.

When you have sex, lose all your Integrity.

Darkest Self
This is it. Everything falls apart, and you can't hold it together anymore. It's not because everything is too much to bear just that you aren't good enough. So beg their forgivenesses,everyone you've wronged by being too weak to help; and show them how sorry you are, in whatever small ways you can muster before the final curtain falls. Don't seek their acceptance. You don't deserve it. You escape your Darkest Self when someone reflects to you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Backstory
Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I kind of like the lake? I mean, I don't get a lot of chances to swim on the road all the time so when I get the opportunity to, I take it. I feel like I'm a pretty good swimmer but, I don't know, I guess maybe it's because I don't really feel It out there, on, or under, the water. Do They not like water, or something? The only problem is the counselors have set up this canoe rowing thing during the day all the time, so it's hard to get time to go swimming. Oh, and the lake is off-limits at night, for some reason.

There's a clearing deep in the woods where all the trees are dead and the earth is bare. It smells like fire in the air, all the time. I got there once but I was lost, just trying to hike and, well, I managed to find my way back from there even though it felt like it took way more time to get back then it did to get there. I mean like, a difference of hours. But since then I've been curious about the spot only I haven't found it again, not even trying to retrace my steps. I guess I'm missing a turn somewhere.

One of the counselors, her name's Colby, she said she really likes my name. I've heard it before, it's not like the name "Jewel Prince" is a regular sort of name and people just love to patronize whenever they think they can get away with it. But, well, she seemed sincere, which was nice of her. She has some rad purple hair too, which is cool. I could never dye my hair because I'd never be able to keep up with it. She showed me where her favorite spot is too, this nice hill with daisies all down the side of it, which has been a nice place to escape to every so often. I mean, I trust her, sure. But I don't try to get too close anyway, It likes to take friends first.

Oh, you know, just the standard unbelievable nonsense. Like, the campgrounds were erected on an old Indian burial ground and their angry spirits call out for vengeance. Like a Stephen King novel or something, right? Anyway, everyone always swears up and down that they hear chanting or drumming off in the distance on full moons. Even Colby told the ghost story, and they all act real convinced and everything. But I mean, I have enough to worry about, I don't put a lot of stock into hokey ghost stories. The stuff that's out there is way, way worse than that.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 6, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Interest post.

Maybe an angel, maybe one of the brewed ones.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Interest post. Tentative vampire.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Fall.

For my 16th Hatching Anniversary, my parents bought me a new saucer. It was a nice one: full-spread ion drive, hypersensors, double-boom subspace pickups, even had red stripes on the sides. Really zap ride. There I was, cruising in the space past Kentaurus, when this asteroid just jumps out in front of me! I swerved and hit the thrusters, but it was too late. My saucer crashed out of control. I barely survived.

And now I'm stranded here.

The compucore on my suit told me there are primitive sentient life forms here. After a long walk, I found a cluster of them driving some kind of archaic hovership - without the hover. Quickly, I ditched my suit, hiding it in a large metal cylinder. When I walked out of the forest, I observed dozens of family units consigning their younglings to service at some sort of "Echo Camp." What was this place? What trials would they endure?

It seemed as good a place as any to blend in. "Hello," I said to the records-keeper, "I am Rho."

"What's your last name, Rho?" asked the clerk. I did not know what they meant. I had only one name - unless they meant my secret brood-name! But I could not tell them that. My eyes panicked, I found the first Earth word in sight and blurted it out.

"Lake!"

The human seemed satisfied. "You are not on the list," it said. "Here, fill out this form and we'll get you signed up." I cunningly falsified the document:

pre:
NAME: RHO LAKE
ADDRESS: 123 STREET AVENUE, CITY, ST 45678

HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT CAMP ECHO LAKE? THE EARTH WRITING ON THE SIGN

DO YOU HAVE ANY ALLERGIES? RED BLOBULIN
After the admission process, I returned to the place in which I had hidden my suit...but it was gone. Someone had taken it and without it, I'll never be able to transmit a distress signal. I'll never get home. Will I be stuck on this strange world forever?

quote:

Rho the Alien
Reskinned Selkie

Lake has oil-drop eyes and an unforgettable look. Xe's lost on Earth.

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: 0
Dark: 1

Moves

Rocket Suit
When you wear your suit, you look like an alien spacegirl. Without it, you can walk and talk like a human, but with it you can fly - and, if you want to, return to your Home Planet. If you do return there, it's for good, so make a new character.

Treacherous Humans!
People can steal your rocket suit, but never destroy it. When someone withholds your suit and demands that you do something for them before they'll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task. If they don't return your suit, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.

Silly Earth Feelings
Whenever you don't understand what's going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you gain a vision into their mind. Gain a String on someone else they've had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It's time to show them how it feels to be lost in space, to be apart from the things you know and love. You will rain destruction on the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home or when you recognize what you came here for.

Backstory

You've seen someone gazing at the stars, but they either didn't see or didn't recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your rocket suit, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Humans play some very, very strange games. They seem to be obsessed with balls of various varieties. There's a game where they try to hit a ball with a stick, one where they kick a ball, and one where they bounce a ball. The rules seem arbitrary, really; every time I try to play, I learn that I've broken some arcane code like "not bouncing the ball enough" or "moving the base out of the way." I try, I really do, but everyone knows the rules and I don't.

Here's a funny thing about humans: they seem to have two kinds. For some activities, we're divided up: "girls" over here and "boys" over there. I keep getting shuffled off with the "girls" except for one time that I ended up with the "boys." There seems to be some sort of social taboo surrounding this. The girls sleep in cabins apart from boys, as well. Perhaps it is a measure of social class?

There is one game that humans play that I love. Each person gets a pneumatic pistol or rifle filled with dyed water. At the signal, we shoot the water at each other. If you get hit, you're out. I am fantastic at this game, although I have found that it is frowned upon to steal the "squirt guns" from players who have been tagged out. Also, humans do not seem to take pride in their victories in the same way my people do. They call it "gloating" and apparently it's bad.

Before I found out it was stolen, I went out looking for my suit. Deep in the forest, there's The Clearing. Not a clearing with grass, I mean a place where absolutely nothing grows and nothing living goes. Even standing on the edge of it, I could sense what was wrong: this was a place where space folded. I am an alien to this world, but whatever is invading here is alien to this dimension. I left at once, of course; I had no desire to get folded up into a tesseract or dumped through a crack in space-time!

Counselor Alex is my group coordinator (which means she's in charge of a dozen of us). Alex seems to understand that human beings are essentially undisciplined primates. Also, Alex seems to recognize the more disciplined nature of my species and allows me the freedoms I deserve. I do have to continually allay Alex's concerns about my health. My cover story about "having a skin condition" seems to be flimsy, but holding.

Several of the humans seem to think that some of us will be selected to die. The motivations differ; occasionally there are whispers of a lottery, but most seem to think that there is a reason for the death. That makes sense to me, of course. A fear of consequences is a necessary element to the success of any group. Humans, however, are clearly incapable of such a rational act.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sky Magpie, the Hollow

Here is a human song which is about me!

Envy was always my sin so said brother Crow. I said to him it is not my fault that the years of a birds life are few not my fault that the sky is too small. I said to him I do not have your strength or Ravens wisdom or Jays beauty so why begrudge me my thiefs eye and my dreams? He laughed when I said I wanted another life another skin to try he said whose skin would be worth wearing? I said I meant to take a humans I said they are the only animal nearly as intelligent as us and Crow laughed and Raven began a tale of how the human world was a vast place of fear and suffering but I interrupted and told them I only meant to visit their enclave by the lake shore to visit it this summer when the human youths arrive to play. They could not argue with that! I did not tell them that if this sojourn is successful I may travel beyond the forest for they would not understand that is clear.

So we set to work the four of us to make a new self for me. The body was surprisingly the easiest part to locate for a human girl died in the forest not one day after we began our search. She must have travelled a long way to die so far from her kind so I hope she will not mind if I take her body on another journey. The end is never the end but a beginning says Raven.

Jay wove me some human garments from scraps she found in the human settlements nearby Crow scoffed but I told him that humans put great store on their outer skins for they have no plumage of their own and how else would they attract mates? Raven ate some human books and gave me their language most of it at least many words these young humans speak are missing but it will be okay I learn fast. Then the four of us together entered their domain to gather the tokens and paper I would need to enter their enclave for humans are obsessed with such things Raven said.

So here I am in this new body a tall body without wings and with such heavy bones but so strong so stable and the world is so wide from the ground looking upward instead of the other way around. I will dance with humans play with humans eat and sleep and dream with humans and when this summer has past maybe just maybe I will follow them into their world.

Crow insists on following me to mock me he says but I think he is jealous!

quote:

Name: Sky Magpie
Skin: The Hollow
Look: Disheveled, shifty eyes
Origin: Once an animal

Stats: Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Moves:

A Blank Canvas: When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Mimicry: Whenever someone uses a Skin move on you, roll with dark. On a 7 up, temporarily gain that move, losing it again after the first time you use it. On a 10 up, you may instead choose to permanently replace a Skin move you have with this new move.

Note: I know some people feel that some Hollow moves are overpowered, specifically Better Than Nothing and Flesh of My Flesh. I'm not planning on taking either, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

Sex Move: After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

Darkest Self: Your body is a prison. You dont belong inside of it. You need to put it in harms way, and make it suffer, just like its made you suffer. Theres got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what theyve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Backstory: Youve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someones seen through your invented past, and realized its all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

quote:

In addition to your character sheet and information about you, I'd like to hear a few things about Camp Echo Lake:

The humans have an activity the call a 'scavenger hunt' I know that I am a 'scavenger' so I was afraid at first but then I found out it means running everywhere looking for interesting things that are hidden which is exactly what I like to do! I was confused when they handed the treasures back to the boss human at the end but then I understood it was so that they could play it again and again.

They do not hold hunts very often because the human youths think it is 'lame' which is a shame but there are lots of other things I like to do like climbing because it is still nice to be up high and I like playing the games with balls and running because I am fast but I do not like things to do with water because I do not like being wet.

quote:

There is rock that sits above the forest that the humans like to try to climb but they cannot because there are no paths and humans cannot find their way without paths because they are not so smart. But some human must have been smart because they left devices upon the rock many boxes I do not understand and some tubes that point at the sky. When I went there with my human body I looked through the tubes but could only see a little sliver of sky so I do not know what they are looking for or even who is looking anyway.

quote:

The first human I talked to after I entered the camp was Bethany Hood who is female. She told me she liked my clothes which might have been a lie but Raven says humans lie all the time so it was 'no big deal.' I told her I was from the forest and I that I wanted to make friends and she told me that was cool then we smoked some cannabis leaves which is what humans do when they are friends and now we are 'cool.' I like talking to her about the forest and the human world but I do not think she really understands and Raven warned me not to tell people that I was a bird so I will not tell her.

quote:

The humans say there is a tree in the forest that will grant their wishes if they tell it what they want and leave it a gift but it must be at night and it must be sufficiently 'spooky.' I do not know of any tree that will listen to humans because trees are very self-absorbed and frankly very boring but it is still an interesting story so maybe I will look for it if I have time.

Gato fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 21, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Margot Morrison, the Ghost

I was here last year. Maybe you remember me? No? Oh, okay.

No, no, it's cool! I get that a lot.

What happened last year? Nothing all that exciting, just all the usual camp stuff. Running, hiking, swimming... uh...

I'm not a very strong swimmer, to be honest. There was this little incident last year... y'know, in the lake? There's a lot of "incidents" involving the lake, actually. They have safety classes every year, but stuff just happens sometimes. It's nobody's fault.

What happened to me nobody's fault, either. But then again, depending on how you look at it, a lot of people could have been to blame...

Hmm? What? Oh! Heh, yeah, there's a lot of weird stories about this place. People say there's a lake monster, nobody can really agree on what it's supposed to be or what it's after. Thinking back, it did kinda feel like something grabbed my leg back when... but no...

Um, yeah, no, the stories are just stories. People get bored, they make stuff up, all of the sudden it's a camp legend. I think they grow from really mundane stuff, too.

Like they say way out in the woods there's this spring that bubbles up from who knows where. The water from it tastes awful, but if you drink a handful of it you'll dream about... I dunno, exactly. The future? Who you're gonna marry? How you'll die? But anyway, don't believe it. Somebody just made the story up to trick people to drink gross water so they'd end up on the infirmary pooping their guts out.

Hey, um, don't take this the wrong way or anything, but you look troubled. Is there anything you want to tell me? It's cool. Nobody really talks to me anyway, so whatever it is, your secret's safe with me.

But I understand if you don't want to say anything right now. Just think about it. Oh, and if you'd rather get it out in like a group setting, they do this all-purpose fireside thing at night. No pressure, just come if you feel like it. People tell stories, sing songs, stuff like that. It's usually led by one of the counsellors, but it's not mandatory or anything.

Oh yeah! Have you met Dylan? He's the head life guard here. He's great, really dedicated and watchful and stuff. Some people say he's a hard rear end, but he's just really concerned about everybody's safety, y'know?

Dylan pulled me out of the water when... uh... before. He gave me mouth to mouth. And I know, I know, that is nothing like a real kiss, but he fought hard to save me. Yeah, he really gave it his all.

But don't mention me to him or anything, okay? He probably won't even know who you're talking about. I'm just saying Dylan's a great guy, even for a counselor.

quote:

Name:Margot Morrison
Skin: Ghost
Look: Meek, Dull Eyes
Origin: Tragic Accident

Stats
Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark 2

Your Backstory

Someone knows that youre dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

Youve been inside someones bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Ghost Moves

Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:

You gain the delusional condition,

You cant speak during this scene,

You suffer one harm,

You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Creep
When you secretly witness someone in their most intimate moments, perhaps showering or sleeping, gain a String on them.

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

People With the Blamed Condition:

Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems on you, roll with dark. On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:

Mark experience,

Carry one forward,

Gain a String on them On a 7-9, they choose one:

They lose all their conditions,

They gain a String on you.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Samantha Black the Sasquatch

Welcome to Camp Echo Lake. My own personal purgatory. It was only supposed to be a quick two week camping trip. I mean it was a reward for my good grades. I remember being livid at the time all my classmates were getting cars or new dresses or fancy foreign vacations and what do I get a lovely Colorado camp out in the middle of nowhere. Gee thanks dad. I suppose I should be grateful they even noticed my grades normally I'm ignored in favour of my sister.
I should be loving used to it by now. It seems I'm like the most forgettable person ever and I just don't mean people not being able to remember your name. I mean stuff like coming back from our spring vacation to find out that my best friend had forgotten I existed, handing in homework to find that the teacher had forgotten to grade it, Getting suspended for punching a bully and then finding out they forgot about my suspension.

poo poo, I've been here six weeks now. I think my parents have forgotten about me. I mean I left them notes, and told my sister to remind them. But they still managed to forget about me, their own daughter! I tried talking to a camp counsellor and saying I needed to leave. But all they kept repeating was that I'd only been here a few days and I just needed to get over my home sickness. Then they'd ask me my loving name again for the seventeenth time. Useless idiots.

I'm trapped in my own Groundhog day loop and until I can get to a phone and call my parents and remind them I exist I'll be stuck here. Maybe forever. Welcome to hell "Campers"

Oh and can you tell my hut mates to stop complaining about the smell I don't know what they're talking about but they reckon our hut reeks. I can't smell anything.

quote:

Name: Samantha Black
Skin: Sasquatch
Look: Awkward, Forgettable eyes
Origin: Abandoned
Stats:
Hot: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: 2

Harm:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Experience Points:

[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Sex Move:

The person you have sex with smells
like you afterward, and gains the
Condition scented. If they face their
peers before scrubbing it off, they
mark experience.

Darkest Self:

Now, right now, it's time to rain
stones down upon the bullies and
the excluders. It's time to wreck their
precious stuff, to shove them back so
hard that they'll never even dream of
messing with you or anyone ever, ever
again. You escape your Darkest Self
when you hurt one of those people
more than they've ever hurt anyone
else... and more than you meant to.

Moves:

Musk

You have a distinct smell, unpleasant
to some, intriguing to others. When
you sweat in the presence of other
people, roll with volatile. On a 10 up,
the MC gives you a String on someone
there and they choose:
  • compliment you,
  • apologize to you,
  • give themselves to you.

On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String
on someone there, and that character
gives you a Condition, delivered in the
most appropriate way.

Icebreaker

You radiate awkwardness and people
don't know how to talk around you.
When someone speaks to break a
silence or to start a new conversation,
you may roll with dark. On a 10 up,
choose two of these questions for
them to blurt truthful answers to,
whether or not you actually ask.
On a 7-9, choose one question and
during this conversation you both blurt
out truthful answers to it.
  • Who do you want to make out with?
  • What don't you want me
    to find out?
  • What do you intend to do?
  • What do you wish I'd do?
  • What are you scared of?
  • What are you ashamed of?
  • Do you like me?

Hidden In The Scenery

When it appears that you're not
around, you may roll with dark. On
a 10 up, you're there and you remain
completely unnoticed. On a 7-9, you're
there, and somebody sees. If they don't
draw attention to you, they gain a
String on you at the end of the scene.

Backstory:

You've been a wallflower all your life,
but someone finally noticed you.
Give them a String.

Someone makes fun of you. What do
they say? They give you a Condition,
and you gain 2 Strings on them.

Strings:

megane posted:

Questions

The hikes through the woods. At first I thought they'd be dumb and boring. I'm a city girl and a hike through the mall is more my speed. Until that is I went on my first one. Walking through the trees being that close to nature. I should've hated it. But it was absolutely amazing. I've never seen a place so alive, so natural, so bursting with green. But you know what the weirdest part was I felt like I could stay there forever. Like this was the right place for me. It was really hard for me to leave and come back to the main camp. The next hike I'm definitely going out again.

quote:

There's an old kids cabin in the woods. Half overgrown and forgotten about. It looked like it had been burned down in an arson attack. I tried asking one of the counsellors about it before and he told me off for making stuff up. I even dragged him out there to show him it but he said he couldn't see a thing.

I thought he was having me on but now I'm not so sure. Maybe whatever that place is someone or something wants it to be forgotten. I'll have to see what I can find out. Strange that I can see it though....

quote:

Ugh, Miss Langford (Call me Rosie) likes to present herself as little miss perfect counsellor. But when she thinks everyone's asleep and in bed she hits the booze pretty hard and is usually passed out drunk before too long. But I've just found out where she keeps her booze stockpile hidden. I might need to raid that before too long. If you're really nice to me I might even let you share it.

quote:

They say the local farmers sacrifice animals to apagan deity somewhere in the woods to make the crops grow. But that's utterly ridiculous. All the farms round here are run by big agribusinesses and I can't imagine those guys cutting anything's throat. I just suppose it's some BS Story.

quote:

Optionally, what terrible pun should I use for the thread title?

Is that a tentpeg in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 22, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Quote is not edit. :blush:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Torli Lemmer, the neighbor

Hey yeah, sup. No that's my mom. Yes. I'm Torli. She's Vivian. God drat it.

Ugh I don't even want to be here. But my friends are all doing stuff and it beats being stuck at home with the folks. Drinking with mom always gets weird. What? I can handle it. I'll drink you under the table, schmuck! You think anyone's going to card me? Yeah they're cool with it, I haven't got arrested for it yet. Oh yeah sure I won't bring any into camp.

Totally.

So a little about myself? Well I hate sports but it's all I'm good for. That and making kids piss themselves I guess. Toddlers think I'm like a monster or something half the time I swear. Everyone else a grade below me thinks so two but try to hide it. All I have to do is give people the stink eye half the time. Really they're just doing it to themselves. I really let other bullies have it. They never think to get a teacher involved because they have just as much hell to catch from them. But hobbies? I guess collecting trophies. Yeah sort of like hunting. Whenever I really get the best of someone I take something to prove it. It's really easy when they're blazed out of their mind. They're basically taking off their underwear on their own. What no I'm not trying to get into anyone's pants. It's just a easy thing to embarrass someone over cause they blacked out. Oh sure I guess I could snap a pic but it's more fun when I got a physical trophy. And creep shots are skeevy. It's not like I sniff their panties or some poo poo shut up!

Ugh fine I'll talk about something else. You asked. Yeah Dad's a real piece of work. He's an "entrepreneur" who's always trying some poo poo. He watches Fox news and reads Ayn Rand. Trying to figure out how fools to be parted with their money think. I'd admire his chutzpah but he's playing with fire I think. It's like, ironic poo poo posting is still poo poo posting you know? So he has this gun range with an obstacle course. It's popular with those militia donguses who have no militia. Mom runs a small business on the same site. A little book store. She's always talking with her customers (wives of the shitheads shooting their guns at cardboard targets) about the romance trash she sells. Everyone's always good a weird look when they're in that store. Can people be oversexed and undersexed at the same time?

Yeah no that's good you haven't heard of it. Don't go. I have to loop around on my way home in a way to trick people into thinking I don't live above there. I don't want anyone thinking I read that garbage. Yeah no, I just read message boards. I swear if this camp doesn't have a good signal I'll lose my mind.

quote:

Look: stilted, averted eyes
orgin: newly social

Hot 1 Cold 0 Volatile 1 Dark -1

Moves:

Nap Fan
As soon as you fall asleep somewhere,
choose two below for the MC to detail.
The MC will tell you when you wake
up, and then tell you the details.
SS something has been left for you,
SS someone unexpected is nearby,
SS someone's been trying to
contact you,
SS something happened at home,
SS something has been canceled,
SS something has been broken,
SS you had a nice dream.

Precarious
(If you pick this, read it aloud.)
When someone gives you a gift or
another chance, give them a String.

Last One Picked
When someone special overlooks
you, choose:
SS publicize it and give them
a Condition,
SS let them see you crying and
take a String on them.

Sex Move
When you scream out someone's name
during sex, gain a String on them.

Darkest Self
You feel... you feel like a monster.
What kind of monster do you feel
like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost,
a queen... it can be anything you can
think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand
you that Skin or the closest thing to
it. It can be different each time. Read
their Darkest Self: you are drowning
in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body
isn't supernatural, but you're gonna
take it right to the line. You become
that Darkest Self.

Backstory
You live next to someone; your
bedroom windows face. Choose:
SS you watch them through the
blinds and they've noticed, each
gain 1 String on one another;
SS you leave your blinds up while
you change, each gain 2 Strings
on one another.
You made out with someone a while
ago. Gain a String on them and give
them 2 Strings on you.

I'd rather do a few things than sanctioned activities. But if I had to chose swimming's fun. No pressure like in sports. And I get to gently caress with people if I'm feeling sassy.

There's this old moonshiner's hut way in the forest. Doesn't really have enough to actually set up shop there but it'd be fun to have a party there for the thematic bonus. It's past the creek, over the hill, and around the fallen tree. All the equipment is still there. So I don't think it was ever raided. I wonder what happened that made them stop.

Cynthia is one of those always smiling enthusiastic types that make me want to kill myself. No one enjoys camp that much. I swear she's compensating. trying to enjoy this bullshit isn't a contest.

Jake said he saw a Sasquatch in the woods- HAHA DICK HEAD REAL FUNNY. So i told him he was full of poo poo, it was clearly a blutsager. It's hard to tell the difference between upright apes and those German hairy boners. With no bones they kind of wiggle around and open their jaw super huge. He's big into RE so I just said they're like regenerators. I hope he enjoys making GBS threads his pants over his stupid video game monsters coming to get him. Jackass.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Aparajita Gupta, the Werewolf ???

It took me a while growing up to realise how odd it was that my parents never talked about our family, or that they never showed up. But when you keep getting asked "where are you from" and about when your family moved here, you begin to pick up how unusual it is for someone to not know anything. I tried asking my parents (who were also born in the US, like me), but they would always just avoid the question or deflect it or something. So I thought that maybe something bad had happened between my parents and the rest of my family and never really thought about it.

Then I began having these dreams.

In them, I'm...something. Some sort of creature. And I'm hunting people down and tearing them apart and I'm...I'm...not human anymore.

In real life, I began feel different too. More aggressive, more willing to hurt others. I can smell when people bleed or see when they've been injured. The worst part was when I got into an argument with a kid at school and then...well, I bit him. With just regular human teeth, thank god but that didn't stop people from freaking out naturally and my parents got called in. They demanded to know why I was in a fight. I didn't know what to do. So I told my parents I was having "disturbing" dreams that were making me a little edgy. Nothing too specific on what they were about, of course. But they freaked out. They tried to dismiss what I brought up, but I knew. I knew they knew something was wrong.

They began making phone calls late in the night. I would sneak around nearby and I could hear them talking, but not the actual words. I don't know who they were talking to, but I knew it was about me. And then, just a little while ago they told me they wanted to take a vacation together. Just the two of them. But they didn't want to leave me home either. They just happened to know of a great place for me to stay during that time - Camp Echo Lake. I tried to talk them out of it, but they wouldn't listen.

So here I am, still having those dreams and feeling myself changing and meanwhile all these other kids are only have to deal with normal problems and I don't know how long until something happens. But I know I have to try and keep in control - I'm sure my parents will at least call and explain what's going on, right?

Right?

quote:

Look: Wiry, predatory eyes

Origin: Ancestral power

Stats

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Moves:

Scent of Blood
Add 1 to all rolls against those who have been harmed in this scene already.

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Your Backstory

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

Youve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

So there's boats out here for fishing, if that's what you'd like to do. Once, I managed to actually have a boat to myself and even caught a fish! But then...I could smell the blood and it was flopping around and I just stared and suddenly I was tearing into it...

I don't go fishing anymore.

As for what I like to do? There's an actual arts and crafts table here. I know it's silly and the kind of thing you stop doing long before high school, but I like to just relax and zone out a bit when making something simple.

So one day I was out walking in the woods, just by myself. Probably against the rules since normally it wouldn't be safe, but, well...you know. Anyway, I've been walking when I realize I'm lost. I try heading back the way I came, and at some point I see a small cabin! I knocked on the door, thinking maybe the person inside could help. But it just swung open, and I could see dust and filth everywhere. On a table was a plate, with remains of food on it. Like, as if there's someone still living out here. I thought I heard footsteps nearby and just ran. Somehow, I made it back to camp by myself.

Shikoba Walker is a pretty great counselor. When she saw me smoking near the bathrooms I thought I was in trouble, but she just asked for a cigarette too. Turns out she's really lenient. Mostly because she's just here to get paid, but hey. I don't think I'd trust with her with anything important, let alone what's going on with me though.

They say every year a bunch of people at camp die. Not just from accidents either - murders too. As if the place itself is cursed. I know this place is weird and creepy, but there's no way they would be able to keep the fact that so many people die hidden for this long.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 22, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jane Doe, the Sasquatch

Hello, my name is Jane and I'm--Yes, yes, laugh it up. I know, ha ha, funny right? I've got the same name as an unidentified person. It out of you system? Good, because my name is one of the reasons why I got into film! I live my life behind the camera, but don't worry, I've got no aspirations to be a star, no no! I want to be a director and a producer. I wanna make the next Occult in Stillwater, and this camp is just full of spooky stories and tales of haunted woe. Heck the spooky-rear end cabin they used as a prop in Lost in the Pines is still here. This place is where I'll make my breakout masterpiece. Then I won't just be some Jane Doe, I'll be the Jane Doe. That's why I brought all my video equipment with me and why I volunteered to come here. My parents wanted to send me to Band Camp, can you believe it? Not in your life! This place is just full of horror film potential and I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna film the next big sleeper hit.

I have it all planned out, I'll use the same creepy cabin. I'll alter it some of course, but it's foolproof. And this place has the spooky lake, oh it's gonna be fantastic the movie practically writes itself. I just know a bunch of my bored camp mates are gonna be all about being involved in this. Hey, free acting right? Oh I'll compensate them all and put them in the credits when this blows up don't worry. I'm not that skeevy, gosh! But it's gonna be great, just great. The woods get just the right kind of creepy and night and I even have an underwater camera for a drowning scene. Oh and I'll catalog my entire trip too, real behind-the-scenes stuff! That's going straight to the Director's Cut! I just can't wait, it's gonna be the best summer ever!

quote:

Name: Jane Doe

Skin: The Sasquatch

Origin: Transfer student Fresh to camp.

Look: Sweet, sparkling eyes.

Stats:
Hot: 0
Volatile: 1
Dark: 1

Moves:
o Musk
You have a distinct smell, unpleasant
to some, intriguing to others. When
you sweat in the presence of other
people, roll with volatile. On a 10 up,
the MC gives you a String on someone
there and they choose:
- compliment you,
- apologize to you,
- give themselves to you.
On a 7-9, the MC gives you a String
on someone there, and that character
gives you a Condition, delivered in the
most appropriate way.

o Icebreaker
You radiate awkwardness and people
don't know how to talk around you.
When someone speaks to break a
silence or to start a new conversation,
you may roll with dark. On a 10 up,
choose two of these questions for
them to blurt truthful answers to,
whether or not you actually ask.
On a 7-9, choose one question and
during this conversation you both blurt
out truthful answers to it.
- Who do you want to make out with?
- What don't you want me
to find out?
- What do you intend to do?
- What do you wish I'd do?
- What are you scared of?
- What are you ashamed of?
- Do you like me?

o Hidden In The Scenery
When it appears that you're not
around, you may roll with dark. On
a 10 up, you're there and you remain
completely unnoticed. On a 7-9, you're
there, and somebody sees. If they don't
draw attention to you, they gain a
String on you at the end of the scene

Sex Move:
The person you have sex with smells
like you afterward, and gains the
Condition scented. If they face their
peers before scrubbing it off, they
mark experience.

Darkest Self:
Now, right now, it's time to rain
stones down upon the bullies and
the excluders. It's time to wreck their
precious stuff, to shove them back so
hard that they'll never even dream of
messing with you or anyone ever, ever
again. You escape your Darkest Self
when you hurt one of those people
more than they've ever hurt anyone
else... and more than you meant to.

quote:

I love the campfire stories, it's where I get the bulk of my material and where I work on my own storytelling skills. If I want to be a good director I have to work on my stories. I'm gonna spend my whole life behind this camera weaving epics! But yeah, we all sit around the camp fire, drink pop, and roast food then we go around the circle telling stories. Usually they're ghost stories, or spooky stories. I spooked everyone really good last night!

quote:

I mentioned the cabin from Lost in the Pines right? It's still out there and still just as dingy, creepy, and abandoned. In the movie the serial killer tortured some folks in there. Maybe there's still some props in there? That'd be so exciting! It sure radiates a spookiness though! Sometimes we sneak beers out there and see who's chicken.

quote:

Danica Graham, pretty sure if she's not gonna be the star of my movie she's gonna play a major role. She's in theater so I'm sure she'll really want to be a part of it! She's a strong swimmer and on the track team too that means she can do all the long running through the forest chase sequences no problem. Oh and I guess we get along when she notices I have the camera pointed at her but that's not important what matters here is she's perfect!

quote:

Oh my gosh, so David Mathews told us a whopper about how there's a snapping turtle big enough to eat a person in the lake. That's ridiculous, one of the rednecks out here would have shot it by now if it was that obvious. I liked the story of how the vines hanging from the trees to the south of the lake are alive and try to make nooses of themselves to snare you up. Maybe I'll have Danica run through those vines, oh that would be epic!

The real neat one is that the parking lot is over an Indian burial ground so it's haunted. That doesn't explain why there's never any parking spots though. I think these stories are the best stories, they're all so silly.

Truth is this camp is only a few miles away from a country club and they chop their golfballs into our side of the park a whole boatload. One almost hit my mom's car. You can see their clubhouse on the other side of the lake. I don't think the Camp and the Club get along.

quote:

Pitch tents, pitch fits?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 22, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I am drowning in good applications already, jeez guys.

Question time!

You mentioned you tried blackmailing your folks what was that about? What joke do you remember the coyote-guy telling that nobody else seems to really get? Which trail is hardest to find? Which counselor has their eye on you, and whats your plan to throw them off your scent?

Judy Benedict, the Heir
Back in South Aches when you were little kids, what game did you guys like to play together? Which member of the Gang do you just know couldnt possibly murder anyone? Which one is all too capable of it? Do you believe in hell?

Which friend do you most regret leaving behind this time? What do you like to do on the rare nights when you feel safe? Have you told Colby about that thing you have hidden under your bed? Whats the first sign that Theyre nearby?

Rho, the Alien
Tell me about your distant homeworld. What have you found here on Earth that reminds you of where you came from? What big mistake did you make that almost blew your disguise, and howd you manage to recover? Do you find any of the humans here, uhh, you know, attractive?

Sky Magpie, the Hollow
Whats the most pleasant thing about your new body? Whats the worst? Who in the camp has caught Crows eye, and do you believe what he says about them? What do you know about the campground and the people here that nobody would know if theyd never seen it from above, from the sky, as you have?

What secret did you overhear at the last fireside meeting that you really want to investigate? If you could get two of the people here together, who would they be? What do you think about when you look out across the lake in the middle of the night? What are you most afraid of?

Samantha Black, the Sasquatch
So why'd you punch that bully again? What's the thing your sister's got that makes you the most jealous? Having been here so long, you must've noticed why that one counselor got quietly "let go"; what happened there? Have you ever gotten drunk, like really drunk?

Torli Lemmer, the Neighbor
Who do you know thats been to this dumb camp before, and what did they warn you about? What did your parents insist you bring along, no matter how much you argued? Has your dad taught you to handle a gun? Whats the craziest thing youve done on a dare?

Aparajita Gupta, the Weresomething
What secret do you know that your parents think they've managed to keep from you? Amidst the horror and violence, what strangely human thing do you remember doing as the beast? What does pain smell like? What happened when someone tried to wake you out of one of the dreams?

Jane Doe, the Sasquatch
Whos your favorite director? What happened with that short film you were making in class last semester? When was the last time anyone invited you to a party? Did you go? Who do you think might have a crush on you, and what do you plan to do about it?

megane fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 21, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Which friend do you most regret leaving behind this time?

Oh gosh, I mean, I don't like to single people out more than I already do, because well, sometimes I have to make some hard choices, you know?

Before Camp Echo Lake, mom and dad and I were in Cincinnati, which is nice, I guess. I'm not a big Bengals fan or anything but we went to a game, mostly for dad's benefit. Anyway, we were there for a few months, and at the school, even, so mom and dad could work in like, department stores or whatever and try to save us up some money. Now, a big city's a bad idea which I already talked about and everything, but it's hard to make money in smaller communities which I also talked about, so...we tried Cincinnati, anyway. Well, while I was in the school I managed to make a group of friends; I normally do, I try to be polite and nice and everything and I guess that means some people like me, or whatever. So there were a few.

Peter Harris, he went missing first. Hardly a week after I got there. He had let me sit with him at lunch the first day before I knew anybody. Snatched right out of his bed in the middle of the night, never seen again, no signs of forced entry, struggle, anything. He was just gone. Just like everyone They take. After that, like three weeks later, it was the homeroom teacher, Mrs. Lynch. I hear she disappeared driving home one night. They found her car in a ditch. No sign of her, though.

While this was going on though, I made a real friend, Sammantha (or Sammy, she preferred) Greene. I had, uhm, not really picked up on fashion I guess, so she set me straight. Even convinced me to get the piercings on the lip, which are pretty cool I think. Mom and dad weren't super pleased but I mean, it's not like I can do anything temporary to stay in fashion, and I like mementos of the places I've been. I keep up on the hair and makeup because of her. So she was cool.

...I had never actually seen anybody get taken before, but I was there. I mean, when Sammy vanished, I was there. We crossed across an empty basketball court on our way back from the mall one day and we were talking about boys or something stupid, I don't remember and I blinked while she was saying something and then she was just...gone. No screaming, no pleading, no outstretched arms or violence or anything, she just wasn't there anymore. I mean, I knew, really, that she was in danger, because everyone is if I'm stationary for too long, but why did it have to be her? I begged with Them, pleaded to give her back, to take someone else - even me. But of course, They didn't answer. They never respond, They do what They want, not what I want.

Anyway...after that, mom and dad decided we had best get out of town. And when we were heading back this way the fan belt started making some noise and apparently one of the rear axles was getting ready to crack, so, here I am.

megane posted:

What do you like to do on the rare nights when you feel safe?

Mostly, that's when we're on the road, so, I read a lot. There's a TV in the back of the RV and I have some DVDs and I'll watch those, too. I don't really do social media or anything though, because I'm worried that will invite Them to get after other people, too. When we come across like, landmarks or something we normally take a day to go visit. And I like amusement parks, but I can't really stay at them for very long. Too many people, too many ways for someone to get lost and, well, not come back out of the dark.

My favorite thing was this Wax museum in Reno. I know, lame, right? But I mean, I don't get to go to a lot of places with a lot of people. So the wax museum was cool because it was like there were people only they weren't, really. You know? The only problem was because it's such a quiet spot there are a lot of little forgotten nooks and crannies - which is also where a lot of people could get lost, or hide, or. Well, it got kind of tense, but I don't know that They were there, just, it felt like They might have been, you know?

So, uhm, like I said, mostly on the road, with mom and dad, my favorite thing to do is read. I like all sorts of books. Dad was a huge horror junkie before this started happening, so he brought a lot of his favorite stuff. My favorite Stephen King story is Cujo, because it's so different than what I'm used to, you know? It's simple, really. Angry dog. That seems easy in comparison. Oh, Thinner's good, too.

megane posted:

Have you told Colby about that thing you have hidden under your bed?

...the....thing under my bed!? How did you even know that was there? Don't go spreading that around! I mean, of course I haven't told Colby, or anybody else, and I don't intend to, either. Clearly I don't carry a knife - well, dagger really - like that around everywhere - but my parents were pretty insistent I bring something to protect myself. I mean, honestly, this is the first time I'll be going so long without their supervision, so I'm kind of nervous, myself. I haven't brought it out yet, but then again, They haven't made their presence known yet so I'm at least still a few days ahead of them. I really hope I can make it at least a month or two since there's only a few people around.

But one way or another, when it comes down to it, if I need to urge someone to take a wrong turn or something, I might need to do something to convince them. Usually, I don't need to, They are pretty skilled at picking their own prey, but, the camp has this buddy system thing whenever people go out on a hike, and well, They don't like to take multiple people at once, or leave evidence. And a witness would be evidence, right - I mean...other than me, I don't count, I guess. So if They get insistent, well, I'll do what I have to, and maybe someone might need to get hurt to make sure everyone else stays safe. Oh, man, that sounds really bad to say, I don't want to think that way.

megane posted:

Whats the first sign that Theyre nearby?

Ok, well, I'll take you through the process. At least what I've determined. They are probably better than I think at staying close and everything I notice is generally too late, but, okay.

So, first, I feel like I'm being watched, all the time. Hair standing up on my neck, tingling sensation, chills, all of that. Except 24/7. That's usually the first warning I get but it's not foolproof. Sometimes They'll skip down to step two or three right off the bat.

Step two is normally the dreams. This is when they talk to me, when They feel like it. It's not really...talking, I guess, but they make Their will known. Sometimes They'll use someone else's voice or face or something. If They do, the person's eyes are always black, like their pupils have dilated way too far. They do this step when They want my assistance with something...not that I ever really need to give it, normally, but still. Or, They'll just use it to taunt me - to let me know They're watching me or waiting for me to come with Them myself.

At some point while all this is going on They're going to move to Step Three - which is taking people. Like I said, They'll start, most of the time, with someone close to me. Maybe not like, a best friend or anything, but, someone who I know. Sometimes They'll move to someone I know less, sometimes more, sometimes a complete stranger, after that. And the timing is never, logical, either. Sometimes it speeds up after the first disappearance, sometimes it slows down. If I had to hazard a guess I'd think they're opportunity hunters - it doesn't really matter to Them except I'm Their prize catch, so They radiate outward from there. If They notice someone who's alone and who can be disappeared, They'll take them. If it's someone close to me, more's the better for Them. But what is for sure is once They start taking, They don't stop until I leave the area, or, I'd guess, go with Them, myself.

Oh, I should also mention, people can kind of...invite Them. Call out to them, I guess. A lot of things people do that supposedly put them in contact with the spirit world or even stuff that "expands your horizons", well, that piques Their interest. Like, looking into a mirror in the middle of the night, sometimes you can almost see Them, there. But the problem is, They definitely see you if you do. Dancing, too, can draw Them out - I don't know why. It's like, They like the way we move sometimes, some dances. I'm not sure which, I just stay away from it altogether. I know singing off-key pleases Them. Normally, all of this is way more dangerous if you're alone, if no one else can see you or hear you. They like Their victims solitary. Still, it's...best not to engage in that sort of behavior. For your own safety.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 22, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rho, the Alien

Tell me about your distant homeworld.

Rudina is a world where everyone has a place and there's a place for everyone. Rudiks are genetically evaluated at fertilization and then rigorously tested and evaluated throughout their hatchling years. Humans have this idea of "passing" a test or "doing better" but that's not how Rudiks think at all. The tests only determine what you'll be best at doing. We give everyone the freedom of pursuing a role in society where they'll excel and be happy. Giving someone a choice allows them to make the wrong one, and that's just a recipe for misery and disaster. No wonder Earth is such a mess.

What have you found here on Earth that reminds you of where you came from?

When Earth's star approaches the horizon, sometimes the sky lights up a beautiful orange-red just like Rudina's. It's at these times that I'm most homesick. Then night falls and I'm left alone while the humans engage in their absurdly long rest cycle. (Rudiks fall dormant for approximately five Earth hours every Rudinian day. A day on Rudinia is roughly two Earth days.) I wonder if my brood siblings miss me and if they've selected a First Assignment for me. Maybe they've just given up. There are a billion billion stars in the galaxy; the probability of finding me in all that is virtually zero.

What big mistake did you make that almost blew your disguise, and howd you manage to recover?

All of the people at Camp Echo Lake are unbelievably naive. Even the smallest of excuses (why yes, my green skin is because of a skin condition!) allays all of their fears. They say things like "Camp Echo is about accepting everyone for who they are!" 'Who they are' seems to include green-skinned aliens, which is convenient for me.

There are a few areas in which I struggle: hygiene, for one. (So far, I've been able to take advantage of the fact that humans are bizarrely private about voiding waste and using a ridiculous amount of water to clean their skin.) Eating is also...interesting.

The biggest need, though, was once I discovered that I would need different attire for each day. I took advantage of my free nights to go looking for clothes. Assistant Counselor Harry discovered me rooting through a pile of clothes in a box labeled "DONATIONS." I struggled to explain myself under the blinding shine of his portable light generator. How would I explain that I'd come to stay here without anything, when everyone else had brought supplies? I opened my mouth and "I don't have any clothes" came out.

It turns out that this was some sort of magic keyword, because Harry started going on about how I was "less fortunate" (which, I guess is true, I have been pretty unlucky) and how "I'll make certain you are taken care of" (I read something ominous into this phrasing, but apparently it just means that I am given things). What is the connection between being unlucky and being provided for? Shouldn't everyone be provided for?

Do you find any of the humans here, uhh, you know, attractive?

What do you mean? Attractive is not a word that I would apply to sentient beings.

Oh? Hrm. I don't quite understand. Many of the humans here are exemplary. Kelly sleeps in the bunk above me. Kelly is intelligent in the manner any Rudik would be proud of; she even enjoys a certain level of recreational mathematics! Josh is very strong and dextrous; Josh can lift some of the smaller humans above Josh's head. Most of the humans, however, are dull, weak, and poorly disciplined.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

quote:

What secret did you overhear at the last fireside meeting that you really want to investigate? If you could get two of the people here together, who would they be? What do you think about when you look out across the lake in the middle of the night? What are you most afraid of?

Okay, soooo... secrets. I didn't really hear it all that well. It was one of those things where some fragment of conversation catches your attention and you tune in half way through.

Stacy Bernhardt and her BFF Jill Davis were sitting close to me in the circle, and Jill was trying to get Stacy to say something and Stacy kept saying no.

Jill said, "It's only gonna get bigger." Which made me think it was some gross medical thing, but then she said. "And how are you gonna keep sneaking it food?"

I think they've got some kind of animal hidden somewhere. Not quite as interesting as a gross medical thing, but I bet it'd be easy enough to follow them and see what's up.

Hook-ups? Well, first there's Chad Tyler, what a total douche nozzle... which I never said! Other people say it! Oh geez.

But yeah, Chad. Total rear end in a top hat jock who's a CLASSIC closet case. I mean, really. He keeps making eyes at Trey Wilson, another of the jocks. I can't be the only one that sees it.

They've got like this "friendly", huge air quotes, totally homoerotic rivalry going on where they try and do every sport and show each other up. Trey's cool. I'm pretty sure he's secure about, well, everything but um... I haven't really talked to either of them. I just notice these things. Plus boys are dumb. They don't notice. I don't think either really gets that they're like meant to be.

But seriously, they should just make out already. I think Chad would loosen up eleventy billion notches if he just admitted he's gay instead of overcompensating with all the machismo crap. He has an AXE brand man loofa. I saw it. I bet he eats that NFL approved yogurt with the black label at home.

What do I think about when I... uh... um... I don't really like to think about the lake, okay?

Easier said than done, though, right? I mean, it's Camp Echo LAKE. And it's right there when you step outside, so you can't help but look...

I think about getting dragged down. Everything getting darker. And nobody notices. If I stare at it too long it starts to look like a big gaping mouth that wants to swallow me. Again.

I'm afraid of the water. A lot. But I'm more afraid of just fading away. I don't want to be forgotten. I don't want everything to go completely dark and empty like it was before... There wasn't even a loving light, it was just dark and cold and I was alone with nothing.

I have to make people remember me. Only it's hard cause, y'know, part of me really wants to just fade into the background.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Maribel Tyler Johanna the Fae

Oh no, I think I died and went to hell. Oh wait, no, Hell would be fun, Hell would have people who weren't all stuck up overly pure pricks, like this Hell is. No, I think this is closer to what people imagine Heaven would be. You know, bright, full of natural wonders, and sanctimonious pricks who have had outdated ideas for at least two hundred years? So how did I end up here? I blame my annoyingly overbearing, overly religious parents, and their inability to even understand me. They're like, such a drag, you know?

So I may have stayed out for like, four days in a row, and then come back a little messed up and with my hair a different color, but I wasn't even doing anything bad! I mean, I was having fun but being safe, and like sure, maybe wandering through the forest at night was a bad idea, but ugh, you'd think they would be more concerned than they were - they were just mad though, something about going into the forest near our house, and some such annoyance. They were hiding something, and I knew it, and I think they knew I knew it, but they still wanted to hide it. I already knew what they were hiding, I'd known their secret and my own for years, but ugh.

They always had tried their best to hide it, but it was kinda obvious to me from the beginning something was wrong with me - first of all, no one had to dye their hair black to match their parents, certainly not because their hair was bright pink. Especially not from when they were a year old on. And most kids apparently don't really understand that other people have emotions for a few years, while I was strangely reactive to everyone around me - like I could feel their feelings whenever they were intense enough. The perfect skin was less noticeable when I was really young, but once I became a teenager and never had to have any acne treatment? Or put on makeup to get the look I wanted? Look, you get it, I'm a freak, but lets start at the beginning.

When my Mom had her first Maribel, the girl was stillborn or the home delivery went wrong or something - probably the latter, my parents are insane and probably killed their first child, ew. But anyways, they prayed to God to give them another child, and then did something super duper sinful, and went and buried their child on the edge of the Forest, apparently after my mom heard some voice. And a few days later, that's where they found me! But uh, no, before you ask, I was not made by God, they knew it and I know it and they can't even trick themselves. Anyways, the forest is full of Fae, and one of them answered my parent's prayers, and gave them me, the second Maribel. Yeah, they even gave me the same name as the dead kid, like ew.

So anyways, when I was like, 12, we went on a school 'field trip' into the mountains near our town, to see this cool waterfall and camp. I totally signed my own permission slip because my parents never let me go on trips, and bam, while I was up there I met my real parents. And they taught me things, awesome things, like about a whole other world that's like, on top of our own, that we can't really see but that is there. It was like, super cool, everything they said. Aaand well, I guess that's when this 'phase' started, my real parents taught me how to refine dreams into minor things - psychedelic things mostly. Or uh, drugs. And sometimes like, makeup. Nothing big, I mean they can do big things, and I might be able to some day, but not right now.

And maybe it woke something up in me, meeting my real parents, maybe it made me a little more wild, a little more feral, but is that a bad thing? Is it bad that I can do what I do, that I can read people, that I can feed on just how good people feel? That I'm pretty and enjoy myself? Are these bad things, or are they just jealousy directed at me? So my parents got angry when I finally yelled at them, when I told them about how I knew they weren't my real parents, when I told them I knew their first child died due to them and that I was just a replacement. And then I was sent here.

Here. Of all places. No TV, no internet, barely even electricity for lights. And the camp counselors are the most fakely chipper people I've ever met. I can't wait to slip something into the water here, and watch it all go to hell for real. Maybe that will be fun at least.

And who knows, maybe more things will be going bump in the night than just me.

quote:

Name: Maribel Tyler Johanna
Skin: Fae
Origin: Switched at Birth
Look: Girlish, Enchanting Eyes

Stats: +1 Hot, -1 Cold, -1 Volatile, +2 Dark

Moves

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
} they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
} add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
} they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Beyond The Veil
When you attempt to commune with the Faery King, gaze into the abyss. On a 10 up, add this option to the list: find a hidden String against someone. On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions are clear, but the Faery King demands a favor of you.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

quote:

Ugh, the only semi-good activity is when they send us to do 'survival hiking', which is basically where they give us a big pack of food, a compass, and tell us to go out for a few hours - normally like five or six - and survive, normally in pairs. I am sure I don't have to explain the kinds of things that you can do with that kind of time, in this kind of place, with my kind of position. So yes, I actually enjoy it, even if it's too loving hot and gets you even sweatier than these things normally would.

quote:

Well, my other reason for liking the hiking is actually because of this - up in the forest is a cave, one that I don't think any of the other campers have noticed besides those I've taken up there myself. It's really neat, it has these huge glowing crystals inside it, that radiate a nice cool air all through the cave. So when I can go to it - sometimes they send me off in weird directions and it can be hard to find it. Sometimes I feel like it's not even at the same spot.

quote:

Jessi is like, the only counselor who isn't a complete drag. I think she got kind of forced into doing this, she's only like a year or two older than me, and has this super pretty bleached blonde hair that she always takes perfect care of. It's super attractive honestly, and I mean, I think she knows I'm interested. First day I mentioned I was here because of 'drugs and sex' and she just laughed and told me that I was extremely open about myself. Which I mean, I guess I am. As for if she's cool? She's the only counselor I've taken up to the cave, and we may have done some drugs I claimed I stashed in it - look I'm open, but not the type to go 'hey I'm a faerie'. So yeah. She's cool. I trust her, mostly because she'd be in more trouble than just being fired if she ratted on me at this point.

quote:

Ugh, there's this stupid rumor the dumb religious nuts spread here I think, that talked about how some kind of monster tracks down anyone who has had 'carnal relationships' and starts harassing them over it, until they repent. Apparently like four years ago the camp had to shut down for a year, because a guy well known for being a 'player' - ugh, hate that word, I get the s word, guys get that? - went missing and was never found again. It was eventually decided that he had ran away from the camp and a wild animal got him, which... I mean, I don't get why they reopened the camp even if it was 'just' that.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Theme Song

...I think my family is sick of me. Why else would they send me here? Maybe they want me to prove myself? To show that I can make due without having to rely on my family's name? But why would they send me to some stupid summer camp? It's not like it's dangerous or anything...

My family? Surely you've heard of the Itos? No? Well, I suppose we're pretty far from the Pacific coast. We're completely legitimate businessmen who are simply incredibly good at our job. Which means, yes, we're a family of thieves and murderers who smuggle half of our products into the country. We've got the blessed fortune of also being vampires.

Got a problem with it?

Depending on which great grandfather you ask, it's either an ancient blood oath with an oni or a curse from the Immortal Emperor from the home islands. Still, it's not like any of these teenagers matter. So, maybe I really should just treat this as a vacation. I'll drink my fill from other campers, and if worst comes to worst, I'll make my escape by hitchhiking my way back home. And by hitchhike, I mean kill a driver and steal their car.

What did you expect? I told you who my family was.

quote:

Name: Yoshihiro Ito
Skin: Vampire
Origin: Taken this century
Look: Predatory features with hungry eyes

Stats: +1 Hot, +2 Cold, -1 Volatile, -1 Dark

Moves

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood.
If this is the first time theyve ever
been fed upon, you both mark experience.
When you feed, choose two:
-you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
-you carry 1 forward,
-they dont die.

Inescapable
You may spend a String on someone to demand that they not walk out on you.
If they still do, gain 2 Strings on them.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them.
When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything.
You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse.
You feed to the point of death whenever youre alone with someone, though you take your time.

You escape your Darkest Self when youre put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

quote:

Sunbathing. Yes, a vampire who sunbathes.

Go ahead and laugh, but I like the warmth. After all, I'm from the Pacific coast. If I see the sun for more than an hour a day, it's a heat wave.

Just got to wear enough suntan lotion.

quote:

There's a shipwreck hidden in an old cove on the lake. It's not a big galleon or anything like that. That'd be crazy. No, it's just some small yacht that some rich moron was driving around. Probably got a lot of tacky stuff down below decks. And, it's isolated enough that, if I end up taking anyone out here, I could probably drink my fill without worrying about anyone else walking in on me.

quote:

Lori, the councilor in charge of arts and crafts, caught my eye. She's... well, she's nice to me. She's not respectful or intimidated or anything. She's just a nice person who is kind to me. It's... new. I think I like it, too. For what it's worth, she's not particularly pretty, but I don't really care about that.

Of course I can't trust her, though. You can only trust family.

quote:

Well, some of my brothers (my older, jackass brother, to be clear) said that one of the councilors is a vampire hunter. Like, an honest to God, holy water chucking, brace of stakes and wooden crossbow wielding vampire hunter. Apparently, living through the camp is a rite of passage for the up and coming members of the family.

I'm honestly disappointed that he couldn't come up with anything better than that. Frankly, it's sort of sad he can't lie better.

Look, let's pretend my family really did want to off me, for whatever reason. They'd just do the job themselves. It's not like we're are squeamish about cleaning house ourselves. Honestly, Mother would probably take care of it. She's pretty loving terrifying when she's taking care of business.

quote:

This one time... at Monster Camp...

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 24, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

megane posted:

You mentioned you tried blackmailing your folks what was that about?

Uhh, seems really self explanatory. I. Tried. To. Blackmail. Them. Did slowing it down help?

Oh! You want specifics. Well that's not what you asked for really, now is it? Gotta be careful about that. See, that's good advice.

Anyways, I didn't really want to give up my summer so I tried a bunch of dirty tricks to get out of coming here. Threatened to post the number for mom's psychic hotline on fourchan, told dad I'd let everyone know he's the one that killed our gerbil - by vacuuming after it escaped its cage, what a way to go - and that I'd start salting his herb garden. Like I said, I really wanted to have a decent summer! I had so many irons in as many fires, pretty sure half the town's burned down without me keeping an eye on things but does anyone care, noooope. Gran wants to pay for it and they didn't want to have to say no to her since she scares all of us, so turns out she wins and everybody else loses. And I did totally post mom's hotline number online. Pretty sure she hates the internet now.

megane posted:

What joke do you remember the coyote-guy telling that nobody else seems to really get?

Ohh, it's great! "A man goes to the library and asks for a book on suicide. The librarian says, "gently caress off, you won't bring it back."

Hahahahaha, what's with the look?! That's hilarious! I mean, you think you get it, but do you really? Spoilers, you don't. Let me drop some knowledge on you real quick. First off, it's totally funny on the surface, yes. But the concept of someone going to the library to calmly check out a book on suicide, only to be greeted with harsh rudeness by the librarian? Simply because it'd create some work for them? It's totally brilliant, it's an absolute critique of humanity in two biting sentences. Seriously, it's a whirlwind of education, but no one but me gets it. Every time I tell it people get all pissy. I think it's great. You probably still don't get it.

megane posted:

Which trail is hardest to find?

The one you need? That's pretty obvious, since it's always the last one you'll find. Duh.

Since you're obsessively literal though, here's an answer you'll actually like. It's Hell Trail. With a name like that, of course it's mysterious and creepy. Some say that it actually does lead to hell, others to a mysterious graveyard, others still an abdanoned and overgrown campsite. Me? I think I found it when I went for one of my walks. It's really not a camp legend, I swear. If the one I walked wasn't it, I really don't want to find it. It was foggy the whole time, and stuffed seemed to echo for forever. There was a weird smell, and I got really paranoid while I was on it. I mean, like... there's totally nothing really going on with it. I don't think. But it's creepy and I don't want to find it again.

You bought all that, right?

Hahahaha, sucker! Nah but if that existed, it'd probably be suitably hard to find. The real hardest one to find is Ryan's Trail, which they named after a Counselor that broke his leg on it since it has a ditch it's hard to see coming. Entrances both blend in since there's a lot of leafy ferns on both ends. Reality is boring right?

megane posted:

Which counselor has their eye on you, and whats your plan to throw them off your scent?

Ughhh, Counselor Rebecca. First off, she's like... thirty. Seriously, she's too old to be here! Secondly, she totally hates me. Ever since I tried to argue that aggressively trodding upon the Earth was against my religion and therefore I shouldn't have to go jogging she's been on my case. Hates smart alecks which is incredibly unfortunate for me. Seriously, she's ridiculous! Nothing I do is ever good enough, she derives a hellish pleasure from messing with my machinations, and worst of all most of the other campers think she's great! It's like loving your prison guards, it's just downright traitorous. Why can't anyone else see that?!

Since she's determined to meddle in my affairs, I've had to scheme up some ways to lead her off my trail. It's disappointing, really, that we can't see eye to eye - but it's totally her fault, and she's left me no choice. First plan is to just trick her into getting sprayed by a skunk. There are some around here - it's conceivable. There's no way they'd let her be around us while she smells like poo poo, right? So that'd take her off the board for a few weeks. Next up is to convince someone to seduce her and then blackmail, but that's kinda creepy so I've shelved that plan. It's a Coyote-thought, I have them sometimes. Next up is confessing to her that I smart off since my parents never noticed me. She'd buy that, right? That sounds sympathetic? I could get some of the other campers to back me up on it. Maybe I could fake a prescription for Adderrall? That'd be valuable, and she'd totally be exposing the camp to a lawsuit for harassing the mentally ill. She'd buy that I think...

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 22, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oh, thread title suggestion:

It's monsterHEARTS, now get it right or pay the price!

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Ulysses, the Siren
Theme: Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly

I know what you think of me. I'm the rear end in a top hat at the party, playing guitar for half-drunk girls with even less taste than the vodka it took to get them there, and - hey, you mind if I keep playing?

Anyway, gently caress that guy. His out-of-tune "cover" of Wonderwall's got nothing on me. He wasn't up late nights burning through Classical guitar, Spanish acoustic stuff, modern and classic rock. His "training" was probably staring at tab websites until the little light bulb in his head went "Hey - all of these bullshit songs they sell cars with and play at sports games are fundamentally the same! I can do that!" You sure can, little buddy. Knock 'em dead. I'll see you at Berklee.

Oh wait - no, I won't.

But here's the problem. My folks go on this vacation thing every year for a few weeks. To Europe. And I might have done a few things last summer that makes the thought of them leaving me alone with a house and car again kind of problematic. You live, you learn, you warn your dumbass friends that the china cabinet is not a place you deposit empty beer cans. You'd think my dad would be okay with it - he played with Rusted Heart back in the eighties, and you know they weren't cranking down the party dial. Especially if that "pile of cocaine" story is true. Christ...

So they shipped me here. To camp. Not just any camp, but the one that people are convinced is basically Crystal Lake - you should hear some of the things people say. But the only horror I'm seeing is the fact that there's a dedicated time slot for "arts and crafts." I can smell the Elmer's Glue and popsicle sticks already.

quote:

Character Name: Ulysses Michael "Mike" Underwood
Look: "Original" Look, Proud Eyes
Origin: Runs In the Family
Skin: The Siren

Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +2

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]The Talent
The Talent- Youre extremely good at something, so good that everyone recognizes it. Choose your talent: Playing the Guitar

When you perform your talent in front of at least one other person you may Gaze into the Abyss and roll +dark.
On a 10 up, you share your visions with your audience. In addition to the regular choices for Gazing into the Abyss, you may choose 1:
You impressed someone: Gain a string on a single audience member
You enraged someone: Inflict one harm on a single audience member
You touched someones heart: Remove a condition from a single audience member

On a 7-9 you still share your visions with your audience but they are fleeting, like daydreams. You may still choose 1, but at a price.
If you gain a string, they gain a string on you
If you inflict one harm then you take one harm
If you remove a condition, you accept that condition yourself

[+]Just For You
When you perform in private for an audience of one and roll to turn them on, on a 10 up give them the condition Mesmerized.
On a 7-9 give them the condition Mesmerized but only until the scene ends.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone and ask them to keep it a secret, they gain a string on you.
If a person you had sex with tells someone they had sex with you, they gain a string on the person they tell and you gain a string on them.

Darkest Self:
They want to follow you? Fine. Lead them off a cliff. Its time to drink, do drugs, and disclose dirty pictures.
Its time to get caught doing something theyll hate you for. Maybe if you tear up your reputation enough theyll finally leave you alone.
You escape your Darkest Self when someone youve hurt shows you they still care about you, or you wake up in a jail cell.

Strings (On them / On Me):

Backstory:
Someone is your biggest fan. They take a string on you and you take two strings on them.
Someone saw you fail at your talent once, and you know it. They take two strings on you.

Advances:

I mostly do the nature stuff - hikes and the bonfires and whatnot. Playing guitar here as part of an activity just won't fly. I don't feel like keeping time with recorders and bongos as we struggle through Three Blind Mice, all right?

So you've got Echo Lake, right? It's what the place is named after, probably in all of the advertising and whatnot. But there's another, smaller one about a mile to the west. I had to cross an old railroad bridge to get there. It's mostly given over to nature, but there's a couple of weed-choked things poking out of the ground that look like lifeguard posts and maybe a picnic table? I asked around, but no one knows what it's called. Google Earth - similarly unhelpful. I couldn't even find it on there, but that's probably because the trees have started to grow out and cover it from the air.

This guy Milo saw my guitar case when I was moving it into the cabin, and it turns out he's even more bummed than I am to be here. He's a drummer and obviously his kit had to stay home. He seems all right - but he's one of those people. You know the type. Can't help but tell these tiny little lies and embellishments on stuff because they think they'll impress you? Harmless so far, I suppose.

I overheard some girls talking, and according to them, these cabins and stuff used to be a part an actual community that people lived in. I don't know the word - they're not quite Amish, but it's like that? Real religious, had odd customs. They apparently left almost overnight in the sixties - right around the time a bunch of local kids went missing. Sure. This place would have never gotten started with some creepy poo poo like that hanging around. Never happened.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

megane posted:

Question time!
Sky Magpie, the Hollow
Whats the most pleasant thing about your new body? Whats the worst?

Hands! I do not merely mean those tricky opposable thumbs although those are of course useful but I feel it almost cheapens the act of using a tool to handle it so easily. It is the sense of touch which enthralls me for I had nothing like it in my old form. If I had to explain it to humans I would ask them to imagine feeling the air through a heavy outer garment, or only touching surfaces with their nails and teeth and through the heels of their feet. But now I have palms and fingertips and such a world of sensation that even Raven could never imagine! I like feeling warm things best like the air by the campfire and like humans although Jay told me I should be selective about who I touch which makes sense because feeling is a treasure and treasure is less special if everyone has it all the time.

But it is a shame that humans have exchanged this fantastic sense of touch for mediocrity in their other senses especially their sight. I suppose their brains are only so big after all. I think I see and hear than humans because I know what to look and listen for but those senses are very much reduced for me now. You see so many fewer colours not just the colours beyond violet but all the ones between the stripes of your rainbow and some of them within the stripes as well. Humans would be unhappy if everything looked like their old photographs so maybe you can understand why I am disappointed. I can still hear the same things I used to but it is harder to separate the different sounds out and humans can be so very noisy. I like music though I used to wonder if it was another type of human language like a bird's call when I said this to Bethany she said that what I said was really 'deep' so maybe it is true and I should keep listening.

quote:

Who in the camp has caught Crows eye, and do you believe what he says about them?

Tyler who is a human boy is slightly older than the other young humans but he is not a counselor which is what they call the boss humans. He showed up before the other humans and went through the forest putting marks on trees and clearing paths for the humans he has done this for the two years before this one as well. He brings the smell of the forest back to the camp which is maybe why some of the human girls have attempted to display their attraction for him though nobody has successfully got his attention yet. Perhaps he has a mate already?

I do not think I would have noticed him since he does not 'hang out' with the human youths but Crow wanted me to know of him. Crow says Tyler smells of death he thinks it is funny that the humans do not know. Of course the forest is so full of death that I for one cannot tell the smells apart even in this body so I do not know if this is really true. Crow laughs at humans because they are so afraid of death but does not laugh at Tyler. Crow likes to think he is special because he flies to close to the other side so I can believe that he would admire a human who shares his affinity. As for me I death is not my interest or my domain so I will leave Crow to his observations for there are 'plenty more fish in the sea' as the humans would say.

quote:

What do you know about the campground and the people here that nobody would know if theyd never seen it from above, from the sky, as you have?

Humans build their settlements in two ways. When they are confident and think they are masters of the land their dwellings spread outward in tendrils like a drop of blood in water but when they fear the world around them the buildings are turned inwards like humans huddle around a fire at night. That is how this human camp is built with the sleeping rooms and other buildings in rings around the fire pit in the center. The paths are laid so that they do not see the design perhaps so that they do not feel afraid but it is obvious from the air. There are even old standing stones to mark the edge of the circle though I do not know if the humans realise this because the stones have been here a very long time Raven says. When you watch the humans walking through their settlement you can see how they follow the edge of the circle that they believe protects them even if it means they do not take the shortest available route although I do not think they realise they are doing it. The camp was built in fear of the forest and it has remained that way even if the humans have forgotten why they were once afraid.

Gato fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 22, 2015

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

megane posted:

Question time!

Jane Doe, the Sasquatch
Whos your favorite director?

Oh that would be Luke Rosenbaum he's one of the only directors who can give their fans a remake that's just as good if not better than the original. That's the kind of director I want to be, not just having my own great ideas but taking other great ideas and making them amazing!

quote:

What happened with that short film you were making in class last semester?

Ehehehe, oh that old thing. I shot it all in black and white in the rain. It was going to be called "The Terror Commute" it was based on a real story my dad told me about his car breaking down during his hour long commute into work and the creepiest guy ever showing up to help him. In dad's story the guy turned out to be decent and it was a good moral story about not judging books by their covers but that's not proper horror! I managed to finish the project and I showed it at school in film class. It got a few gasps but mostly people... people laughed at it! That hurt! Maybe I went too over the top? Maybe I got hammy actors? This time will be different!

quote:

When was the last time anyone invited you to a party? Did you go?

That'd be Leslie Ann Carmon's sweet 16 party. Everyone was invited so of course I went. I got some nice slow-mo shots of the cake being cut and the piata being hit with bats. Put that together with a tinny music box track and some creepy children's laughter and you've got yourself some horror gold. Parties are great places to shoot footage. Some of the old Horror staples are to take something tame and innocent from ones youth and make them dangerous and sinister. Douglas Empter does it all the time! And He's the Emperor of Horror!

quote:

Who do you think might have a crush on you, and what do you plan to do about it?

If he doesn't have a crush on me then, Danny Sirgo, sure is trying to impress me. He's always coming up to me with a new spooky camp story or trying to sneak up on me in camp and give me the old jump scare. Sometimes I humor him. It's kinda nice to be having attention being paid to me. But I won't let it distract me from making my masterpiece. He does give me some great "Boy doing dumb unsafe thing to show off to girls" footage though.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 22, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

megane posted:

Question time!

So why'd you punch that bully again?

Because he deserved it and no one else was going to stand up to Adrian. He was quite clever really for a bully. He was careful to pick on people who wouldn't complain. What he saw in me I don't know. Maybe an easy victim. Maybe I should've complained or done something different. But I know this is going to sound weird he kept it up for weeks. He actually remembered me.... even if it was only to try and bully me and insult me it was constant it was unrelenting, It was great. Someone actually noticed me, someone actually cared about me enough to hate me.

Until the day he didn't I came into school one day and he just didn't say a word. No insulting my hair, no complaining I smell, no beating me up for my lunch money nothing. He'd just stopped noticing me again like I wasn't there. That made me angry. So I hit him, hard. It was payback but it was the last thing I wanted. So I earned my very brief suspension.

megane posted:

What's the thing your sister's got that makes you the most jealous?

She's a couple years younger than me. But if I didn't know better I'd swear she was adopted. Because we're almost nothing alike. She's short and dark to my tall and blonde. And while no one notices me she's the centre of attention. She has plenty of friends. Good grades and seems to be pretty popular. But that's not what I'm jealous of her for. What really makes me jealous is she has a boyfriend. Truth is I don't know what she sees him he's a stuck up idiot who wouldn't know interesting if it jumped up and bit him on his rear end. But she has a boyfriend at her age. You know how hard I have to try to even get guys to notice I exist? and even then I blurt out something awkward and they usually ditch me or forget about me. Hell I'm getting so desperate for company that even the girls are starting to look appealing....

megane posted:

Having been here so long, you must've noticed why that one counselor got quietly "let go"; what happened there?

Oh you're talking about Robbie, ahem sorry Counsellor Ross. Well you didn't hear this from me. aww not like anyone cares or will really be that surprised. You know they confiscate a load of stuff when you come in? Well apparently Robbie had the combination for the safe and was breaking in and stealing stuff and then selling it. Word was he has gambling debts, and was flogging other peoples stuff to pay them off. Well until someone walked in on him in the midst of it. Yeah he was marched out the camp and packed off to the nearest police station. They're keeping it hush hush because they don't want to explain to a bunch of pissed off kids where they're DS's have vanished to. So don't spread it around.

megane posted:

Have you ever gotten drunk, like really drunk?

Of course I have. People barely seem to register me sometimes so getting hold of booze isn't that hard I don't even need fake ID. Hell I could probably even shoplift some booze if I wanted too. It's just well.... I'd show up on cameras wouldn't I? I mean just cause people forget me doesn't mean machines will right? Besides that kind of thing would be wrong wouldn't it. Yeah I've been drunk a few times. Last time was when I dumped Tim me if you can call what we had a relationship. He was the older brother of one of my sisters friends and we got talking one day. He was pretty nice. So we went for a coffee. Then we went to see a movie. It seemed to be going great. Then I overheard him talking to someone on the phone when I was sat right behind him on the bus asking when he could dump this awful girl. It was all I could do to not to reach over and strangle him. Instead I went home and got stinking drunk and cried my eyes out.That's when the whole story came spewing out Turns out I'd been setup on a date by own sister. She meant well it's just. Have you ever heard of anything more pathetic? a pity date organised by your younger sibling. gently caress.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

megane posted:

Who do you know thats been to this dumb camp before, and what did they warn you about? What did your parents insist you bring along, no matter how much you argued? Has your dad taught you to handle a gun? Whats the craziest thing youve done on a dare?

Yeah dad taught me about gun safety. You know just in case. We both agree on me not having a gun. But the cool stuff I learned from my crazy uncle Saul (mother's side). Supposedly he's in Mossad. He showed me some knife fighting tricks like krav magav stuff.

My buddy Steve has been to this camp. He gave me a heads up that the councilors are going to think I need an attitude adjustment. I dread having to go through stupid activity games to get to know other people at the came. Ugh, if I want to hang out with people let me decide on my own. Forced interaction is so painful. Explaining that I'm 7'4" because I'm dying of a brain tumor never get's old! But hey the liberal hellscape of Obama's America has strangled the freedom of our wonderful medical system to tell me to get hosed for a preexisting condition so I'll probably make it to at least forty now. I swear if any of these fuckers I have to talk to sound off on bumfuck politics I'm going to deck them.

Craziest dare? Yeah I dunno. A bunch of drunk idiots aren't a creative bunch. A whole lot of retreaded ground. I try to lay low when they get the bright idea at a party to play truth or dare. Most people don't bother me much over it because I bring the beer, and because they've learned they get a nasty dare back. Tina had too much liquid courage at a get together at my place and dared me. I had to run through the whole obstacle course on my dad's range with only a nerf gun. Yeah only. Streaking is a super original dare you guys. So when Tina was done having her laughs I wanted her the nerf gun and ordered her on a supply run, get us some more dip with only approved equipment. Her purse and the gun. When she still at the store someone else was dared to put on Tina's clothes and throw away their own. D E S T R O Y E D.

Ugh mom insisted I bring my glasses. I wear contacts now drat it. I already look loving goofy ducking through door ways. I hate those stupid rear end things. They always slide down while I'm trying to make eye contact with people.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nicholas Spencer, the Vampire

WIP - TBC

"That's an amusing enough question I think I'll tell you the answer. Of course no one would ever believe you. And you won't believe me." I smile, stretching slightly. She won't, for that matter, believe that this conversation ever took place by the time I'm done - although she may have subconscious memories. And as she's a writer she should channel it into that, and maybe make the next breakout vampire fiction series a little better than Twilight. It's not the portrayal we mind so much as the glitter-kink.

"Your guess at my age wasn't bad. Within five hundred years, anyway. And yes, I graduated two years ago with a degree in Physics. Not that you're going to remember that. And I've been travelling the world since? So why am I now claiming to be sixteen and at this camp?" For once I let my teeth flash as I grin.

"There are two ways to live as a vampire. Three if you count ravagers, but someone always stakes them after a few years. Good riddance." Yes, a stake through the heart works. So does decapitation. And a lot of other ways that will also kill a human (nothing involving suffocation or drowning). We honestly aren't that tough although aren't flammable and neither glitter nor burn in sunlight (although with my complexion I still need sunblock).

"The first way is to live with other vampires. With other people who remember the fall of Constantinople, the French Revolution, and who understand. After a hundred years most of us are multi-millionaires so no one really wants for creature comforts. Which means we spend all our time counting coup on each other. Imagine dozens of people with hundreds of years of cunning continually in a race for Prom Queen because nothing else is important. And getting more and more out of touch until a young vampire who understands the modern world gets fed up of the gerentocracy and takes out those who haven't adapted. Which is most of them. Happens every hundred years or so." My smile is almost feral. Vampire Society getting overturned has never been much of a loss, and it's entertaining when watched with popcorn.

"The other way is to live as a human. Burning your identity every decade or so as people notice you're not aging." I shrug. "And learning to fit in with a new group keeps you flexible. Most of Vampire Society hasn't even heard of the internet. Me? I need to catch up on Snapchat if I'm to pretend to be a teenager. Which is of course why I'm British this time round. No, I wasn't born there, but being from far away covers you for mistakes."

Another elegant shrug. "This is a dry run. This fall I start again as a high school freshman with a couple of friends of mine as 'Parents'. Not the same set I had last time. And we've got Danni joining us as my 'sister'. I love her to bits but people really shouldn't turn ten year olds. But I need to catch up on what's popular, what slang I've missed, and remember how to be a teenager again."

"Hook up with one of them? Ewww! You know the rule. Half your age plus seven. Not gonna happen. No more cradle robbing for me. I like being able to look at myself in a mirror. Teasing? Yes. Of course. That's half the fun of being a teenager! And if I can't really pass for more than a student I'll get my kicks where I can. And setting people up together is really fun and rewarding. Watching them crash and burn is just fun."

"Anyway, you'll think this was all a dream. And you'll never think it has anything to do with me. Now tilt your head back please, dear. You really did do well to get this close. I'm genuinely impressed."

quote:

Nicholas Spencer, the Vampire
Hot 2, Cold 1, Violent -1, Dark -1

Moves:
Hypnotic
The Feeding

They call it Pioneering. Making things from ropes and sticks. It's fun to build things! It also completely confuses people to see me using my hands nimbly, and if they are imagining other things I could do with my hands or those ropes it's none of my business. If we were allowed useful knives I'd also do some sculpting.

I'm currently working on a trebuchet. And yes, I'm just old enough to remember them used in earnest before they were replaced by cannon. Not that the Camp Counselors know that it's a trebuchet yet. It's aimed out into the lake of course as everyone's going to work out when I do the test firing. The smart campers are going to realise that directly behind the trebuchet is the camp itself. And that all they need to do to make the trebuchet fire backwards is move the aiming bar and the weight will naturally go under.

Where to begin? There's the burial ground? There's the giant octopus in the lake. Someone must have been reading Harry Potter. But the dumbest and least believable story has got to be the idea that someone buried their treasure at the centre of it, and if we can find it and dig it up it's ours. As if most people other than vampires could get down there and stay down. Although now I come to think of it it might be worth salting the bottom of the lake with some antique coins to see what happens.

Echoing the heartbeat?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Erica Granteed, The Witch Mad Scientist

Have you ever built anything? I know that's probably a weird question, but have you, really? Or drawn, or wrote, or composed. Isn't there such a powerful feeling in there? Seeing something that never would have existed without you in particular there. A creation of you own. That combination of words, or parts, or ideas never would have existed without the particular person who built them. That's even more true, in my case! I guess it's a weird thing to say, but It's even more true for me! It's something running in my family line, I guess, this huge secret, but, uh. Well, none of us can agree on a name for it- Inspiration, The Spark, Weird Arse Vision Bullshit... We see things that can't exist, and then we make them. Marvels of science and technology that won't be able to be made for thirty years, normally! Er, it's not that weird. I mean, that's what science is, advancing technology. Uh, we just skip a few steps, okay? Building things that aren't supposed to exist yet. New futures, new wonders, advanced PC specs (You can see me with my custom build in the picture, it took me ages to make it, yanno? Everything's manufactured in family outside the case.), you know, normal stuff!

Anyways, this has some... side effects. My family's a little crazy. Not like, actual mental illness crazy , though sometimes it feels that way- er, more like characters from movies and stuff when they're crazy. 'I'll Show Them All' and the like! You know, big fancy speeches, dramatics, super cool special effects... Er, I guess you could say we're mad scientists, though my mom'll get mad if you call us that. I don't mind, though. I don't think I'm ... like that, but my parents say this is about when the time it starts happening? You feel vengeful, and powerful, and smarter than anyone else...and I have to say I've definitely thought like that before? But it's not like, a primary character trait.
I hope it won't become that way, either.

Anyways, so they were going to send me off to a tech camp, but my parents are /so/ absentminded. Apparently, they signed me up for the wrong summer camp, so I come ready with a bunch of tools and materials to hang out in air conditioned buildings and do some teen engineering stuff for a few weeks and we get there and it's just... you know, a summer camp! We had to /sneak my tools in/. There's no internet! I had to build a satellite antenna just to get a crappy signal and then people found out and now there's 30 cell phones on my wi-fi network! I mean, sure, I can still do a little, but I have to do CAMP ACTIVITIES and socially interact with a bunch of people I don't know that probably don't even share any interests with me and basically the few weeks I was totally pumped for are going to turn out to be absolute shite!

At least I still have a few of my devices with me, and the tools to build more... once I can get a workshop set up and figure out where to hide them, anyways. For now, I've just got some of my basic tools and my Emotion-Energy-Fluctuator! It's, uh, it takes the connections people have to objects and makes them into a power, usually a sort of vaguely related power, but not always. It's sort of like magic, but magic doesn't exist so it can't be? It can also create that energy from my own emotions ,but that's a lot harder and I have to be right near the thing I want to mess with- it takes eye contact with people, to form that emotional 'connection' to them. Well, unless I have an object, then that connection's already there!

I'm going to need more satellite antennas this week, aren't I? All the students are going to want internet and I don't want to keep switching the passwords and I /guess/ it would be a good way to, you know, make some friends and stuff... I mean, not that I don't have friends, because I do, but during the summer I can't really talk to them because they're all busy with THEIR families and I guess people don't like my parents because they come off weird and stuff... I hope I don't do that? I mean, I think I'm better than them, at least. I mean, I have people to talk to and junk. And friends over the net, too! Er... well, anyways.

This is going to take some doing! But I'll survive, and maybe even figure out how to have a social life during all this!

quote:

Name: Erica Granteed
Skin: WitchMad Scientist
Origin: Long Line of Scientists
Look: Coy, Playful Eyes

Stats: Hot - 1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 2

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

 Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the targets gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
} the casting does you 1 harm;
} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
} trigger your Darkest Self.

Sanctuary
You have a secret place for wonder-working. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them.They know about it, and its cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. Youre too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

quote:

There's some sort of huge water slide by the lake, all these weird floats and rafts and stuff... it's basically a mini inflatable waterpark, set up in the actual lake. Honestly, I really like it- swimming's one of those things that's super duper fun, for me! Who doesn't like to swim about and soak in the water? I mean, it's amazing, is it not? I think it's pretty cool. So that's what I do a lot of the time... a lot of the rest of the time? When I can escape the counselors, I'm working on setting up this antenna, like I mentioned, and strengthening the signal... Oh! and I set up a lab! It's kinda hidden in one of the old cabins that isn't used any more, but turns out the thing's still hooked up to the electrical grid for the lights. Uh, it's /probably/ not made to use as much electricity as the machinery I have set up in there takes, but I did some rewiring to, um, reroute the breaker... don't worry, I'll replace it with a better one later! Promise.

quote:

Did you know that there's a ravine? IT's a small ravine, and it's set up as a huge rock climbing wall.. without all the ropes and harnesses one of those would usually have. Supposedly, it was built back when this camp was, when the place had no security regulations, and someone fell off and died- smashed down on the bottom of the rocks. Well, I decided to head out and find this place I'd heard about, and it totally exists! Take one of the canoes down the lake to the east a bit, then get off at the fallen tree leaning on a rock, there's some posts where a dock used to be. Once you climb onto the land, there's a path you should be able to spot, and it takes you right there! Man, I gotta wonder if there's anything at the bottom of the ravine, but honestly, I'm too chicken to go check it out... Maybe if I had some other campers with me.

quote:

Well, there's Janine Levine, who's in the same cabin as me, turns out! She's all tall and muscular, probably part of some sort of Athletic team, though all we really talked about was videogames. She legitimately likes the place, she's all up on the sports and the running around and the dodgeball and junk. I mean, she's super up on this! I mean, I guess I like her, she did help me smuggle some of my equipment back to that old cabin... Which means I can trust her, I suppose! She sympathizes with my plight here, so I feel like she can become a good friend. Just wish she'd stop trying to drag me into camp events...

quote:

This camp is in fact arranged in a secret demonic sigil. Each cabin, each attraction, is a point or dot inside the sigil, and together they form a summoning circle for the demon Beelzebub. Should someone die in each of the 4 cabins at the far corner, the sigil will activate, summoning Beelzebub and her hordes into the world, bringing suffering and destruction to all who dare enter!
Personally, I think it's a silly and dumb story.

Nea fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I swear to god, I had this exact idea for a MH campaign last night but decided not to do it (due to inexperience / I Want To Play This Not Run It).

Esther Kirkpatrick
(Song)

You know what the problem with kids is?

They're amoral. The closer you are to childhood, the less time you've had to understand that morality is a real thing and not just the tool people use to slap you on the wrist when you want things. Society as a whole is a cobbled-together mess of incentives, positive and negative, not to act like a child, and -- typically -- it works. People may be maladjusted to a greater or lesser extent, but the end result is usually pretty much a person.

Any given summer camp is a society designed by teenagers who want to resist becoming adults -- that is to say, it's what would happen if you had to pay to be in Lord of the Flies. Activities lend some structure to the chaos, but, in general, counselors -- as the weak links in the system -- just give up after two days and declare the camp a coliseum for idiots drunk on age-semi-appropriate beverages. (When I was nine, it was Cherry Coke that got people punch-drunk; when I was thirteen, it was whatever swill the Cool Counselor was willing to dole out; now that I'm seventeen, it's stolen Pabst.)

I've attended summer camp once per year ever since I was eight. My first day, I got hit in the back of the head with a baseball. Can you tell?

A few years ago, though... that was different. It was 8:30 PM -- too early for drunk kids but too late for obedient kids -- when I went for a walk in the woods. The deep woods, too -- why not, I figured. It's not like the warning signs were meaningful beyond acting as waivers in the case of my maiming by, I don't know, the Camp Campfire Fireside Murderstrangler. In the deep woods -- past a creek that had overflowed its borders, after a trudge that had absolutely ruined my boots -- I found an old cabin, crumbly and decaying with CHICKEN HOUSE scrawled over its assigned cabin name, some stupid act of vandalism, and in Chicken House... I found the dead girl in Bunk C, this decrepit corpse with no smell, somehow, besides the woods. She didn't really have enough features to be gross, any more -- there was something dried-out about her, like she'd been dead for ages. Not even enough face to be peaceful, really, but I could tell that this -- some mouldering bullshit cabin with chalked-on insults no one bothered to erase -- was the exact kind of place she would have chosen to be buried.

I don't know. There was a coldness to Chicken House and the dead Bunk C girl, but cold in a human way, totally absent from the campers -- something quiet, something that could live on its own, like the smell of rain on loam -- petrichor, I think it's called. Maybe I was dehydrated, or hallucinating, or something, and there was no dead girl in Bunk C. Maybe I didn't spend all night talking to her from the top bunk, listening to her, hearing her voice that hissed like fires being put out by rain, pouring out my feelings and finally feeling like my humanity was no longer in question. Maybe none of this makes sense... but I woke up in Bunk C the next morning and felt more alive than I ever had. There'd been a rainstorm that night, I found out, but I was dry as a bone. Rain was just... noise. Sound. Her voice, I guess -- and I could always hear it, at least a little.

I slept in Chicken House, Bunk C, for the rest of the summer session, and when I attended a new camp the next year, Chicken House followed me there. And when the world is too much, I remember the dead girl, and I can smile with the face that isn't there.

Esther, the Shadow posted:

Esther Kirkpatrick, the Shadow (a name that doesn't quite fit)
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Harm [][][][]
Experience [][][][][]

Esther is calm in a quiet, absent kind of way, with dark eyes -- a haunted girl who will, most likely, never admit that she is haunted.
The Girl from Bunk C is just a voice -- one that sounds like rain.

Sex Move
When youre intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it, mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well, they take 1 harm.

Darkest Self
Youve let what was outside in, and it isnt interested in leaving. You have a ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesnt like all the friends and foes youve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance itself from all those connections, and it isnt afraid to cross as many lines as it takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if youve never selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you arent behind the wheel, or when all your strings are gone.

Moves:
[+] "Her Constant Companion" (The Passenger)
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. When you gaze into the abyss, its your Shadow who answers.

[+] "In My World, It Is Always Raining" (Errant Shadow)
Whenever anyone with the Shadowed condition is standing in your shadow, add 1 to any roll to affect them. In addition to the effects of the roll, on a 10 up Shadowed remains. On 7-9, they remove the Shadowed condition.

[+] "Leverage" (Misdirection)
Whenever someone attributes your actions or those of your Shadow to an innocent party, the accuser marks experience and you gain a string on them.

[+] "Rainstorm's Daughter (Ocean's Breath)
When you feel homesick, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one for the MC to detail:
S the rain brings forth something that it thinks will make you feel better,
S the rain takes away something that it thinks is bothering you.
On a 7-9, choose as above, but the rain doesnt understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

Backstory:
Someone is the first real friend youve made. Each of you take a string on the other. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something you did and they know it. They take a string on you. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

First advance: Ocean's Breath (Rainstorm's Daughter)

:: What's an activity they have set up out here? As a high-schooler you've got some (emphasis on some) choice about how to spend your days, so what's your favorite thing to do?
If you like good food and good company, Wilderness cooking class is not for you. The idea, I think, is that you'll produce something worth eating in the middle of the tumult, and then, I don't know, you can continue doing so as long as you can get permission slips for the pressure cooker and everything. The problem, of course, is that no one who can actually cook takes a cooking class, and no one takes cooking class for more than one day; every single session is composed entirely of rank amateurs. In the end, you just eat poutine in the middle of the woods while propping up the broken portable stove with your foot so it doesn't set the underbrush on fire, and you watch people drink cooking sherry and cooking wine and, uh, cooking bourbon (for vanilla, I guess).

Personally, I enjoy archery. When the day stretches on too long, sometimes you just want to nock a bow and hit something -- and the range is on a hill, overlooking the targets and the path up, so you've got a viewpoint on anyone who approaches. Of course, you, which is to say, I, don't actually shoot anyone, but you could, if it were necessary. The girl from Bunk C thinks that I should take a bow, but I cant quite figure out a way to smuggle it out without alerting a counselor and, besides, what would I need archery for in the middle of the woods?

:: What's a weird place you've found around the campgrounds? How do you get there?
Well, Chicken House is lurking on the periphery somewhere and, given time and some good boots, I can find it pretty easily. As long as I dont set foot on the trail at any point while I find the deep woods, I can find Chicken House or, if need be, I can just ask the girl from Bunk C for directions. Its got good bedding I left my old comforter and pillows there when I went to Camp Greenbottle, and I've got a nice mattress on the girl from Bunk C's bed, too and lights and a bookshelf covered in literature that I thought was good when I was fifteen and sixteen (and which has borne up surprisingly well), and, of course, it's where all my best conversations take place.

Wait, do I need to talk about a place thats a natural part of the camp? I guess if I get sent back here next year I might mix it up a little well, theres an old boarded-up pantry in the cafeteria full of army surplus stuff. Iron rations and bricks of cheese that doesnt really smell like anything and something called heavy shortbread. You can get in if you peel up the loose boards in the laundry machine room. If you want to eat without anyone else seeing you, thats where you eat. Or get up to, er other activities, presumably.

:: Which fellow camper (or counselor) talked to you when you first got here? Do you think they're cool? Can you trust them?
Anila Tesbee was, apparently, going to be my roommate this year. Last year, I checked in early, then congratulated my cabin-mates on not having to pull my weight in Camp Activities and left to go live in the woods for several months. This time, though, I showed up sick from an ill-advised string of all-nighters and had to actually sleep in my official cabin for the night, because I couldnt tolerate the walk or get to sleep on my own, and that meant that I was in the bed next to Anila. She stayed up and brought me a few glasses of water, and we talked. Well I talked, and she mostly nodded, I think.

Do I trust her? Well, she was the kind of person who was willing to help a babbling feverish stranger calm down and get some rest, so yes. Actually, Im staying in the cabin this year because of her, although I feel like Im kind of letting the girl from Bunk C down after all, god, imagine if Id gotten to Chicken House, the cabin no one else has ever heard of except me, before the sweats and hallucinations kicked in. Do I think shes cool? Im not sure. We havent spoken much, honestly, and I've never gotten any satisfying answers out of her. I guess stoicism cuts both ways so to speak.

:: What's the dumbest, least believable story you've heard about Camp Echo Lake? Obviously it's just bullshit... right?
Terry Laplace claims that Camp Echo Lake is built on the ruins of an earlier Camp Echo Lake that its encrusted on the viridian coffins of the old camp, and that thats the reason why the lake has kind of a low water level.

Jesus Christ, Terry Laplace. That kid must have some kind of problem with, like, understanding how gullible people are in general, because his stories are worryingly unbelievable. This is something anyone can disprove just by looking at a map of the area or, I dont know, going into the basements of buildings and noting a remarkable lack of boarded-up old windows and photographs of an entirely different camp? Get it together, Laplace. There'd have to be some kind of conspiracy to conceal an old camp for this to work.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 7, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Song and Questions edited in.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Questions edited in.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

get hype for #camphearts

e: It was unintended, but feel free to come sit in that channel and talk about how lovely summer camps are.

I might move up the end date on account of having Too Many Good Apps, so if you're still intending to app please tell me so! if you've posted a WIP, don't worry, I'll give you time to finish it.

Second round questions:

You're mean, you know that? Who were you so mean to that even you felt sorry about it afterwards? If Luke Smith isn't datable, then who definitely is? What's the opposite of a dog?

Are you a virgin? Uh, if you don't mind me asking. What have you read in your travels that gave you a strange sliver of hope? If you really had to, who'd be the first one you'd give to Them?

Rho, the Alien
What do you think about the stuff humans like to talk about? Which of your brood-mates do you think is definitely out looking for you right now? What has Counselor Alex done "for" you that she thinks is helpful but really, really isn't?

Sky Magpie, the Hollow
How did you feel during that rainstorm last night; was it strange being inside a building? What clue have you found about the identity of the human that used to live in this body? Which animal is the cleverest?

Who do you really, really wish would talk to you? Why don't you think they ever will? When do you feel the most like you used to... before?

How'd you get home the time you were on vacation and your parents just left you behind? What's your favorite outfit? And are you related to that one guy, the famous one... something something Black right?

Who did you catching staring at you when you were out swimming in the lake? What song makes you cry, every time? What have you promised yourself you're going to do before the end of camp?

Jane Doe, the Sasquatch
Who totally overreacted when they "caught" you filming them? Do you ever think about being on the other side of the lens? Is it gonna be a problem that Danica hates what'shisface, you know, the cute one?

First round questions:

Maribel Tyler Johanna, the Fae
What were you surprised to discover your two sets of parents have in common? What always makes you think of the other Maribel? Who'd you partner up with last time you went survival hiking, and what happened? If I want to throw a kick-rear end party, what's the best trick?

Ulysses, the Siren
Tell me about your guitar; what's unique about it? Who here has the best taste in music, even if you don't always agree? What's the most scandalous story you've heard about the poo poo Rusted Heart got up to back in the eighties? How do you write your songs?

Esther Kirkpatrick, the Shadow
What changes about the camp when it rains that no one but you can see? Did you let anything slip to Anila while feverish? When you first got to Chicken House this year, what did you find that wasn't there last time? What does the Girl keeping saying that you just can't bring yourself to believe?

megane fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 23, 2015

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

Are you a virgin? Uh, if you don't mind me asking.

Oh, uh, wow, that question huh? You're making me blush. Uhm, yeah, I am. I don't have a lot of uhm, I guess opportunities? I've barely even kissed anybody in a like, romantic way. Uhm, just uh, one uhm, persongirl, and it never went anywhere or anything and I left like, a week later so....

...so uh, no I've never uhm...done it. I mean I spend like 98% of my life on the road with my parents when would I even be able to? You're supposed to be with like, someone you're close to with your first time anyway right? I don't get a lot of opportunities to be close to anybody, so it's never been like, the right time to try and do...it. I mean, that doesn't stop people from assuming. Especially after the lip rings. Like, apparently anyone with facial piercings has to be like, some kind of a slut or something? Whatever. Every school I go to is different so sometimes people assume I'm like, gross and skanky and sometimes they don't. Whatever reputation it is hardly lasts past that school. I don't even have a facebook or anything so it's not like it really matters after my parents and I have left that town, anyway.

megane posted:

What have you read in your travels that gave you a strange sliver of hope?

Okay, so that is a way better question than the last one. Ok, so this is going to sound stupid, but, The Count of Monte Cristo. I know, I know, it's cliche, right? But hear me out - this guy has his whole life taken away from him and ruined through no fault of his own. He's blamed for the actions of others, and taken away from his whole world. But he escapes prison and gets back at the ones who ruined everything for him and it's just - because it's forgiveness he's giving them, not revenge, really. Ok, this is going to sound like a book report if I keep going, but essentially he's getting rid of the bad people, getting the bad things out of the way so that the good people's lives can heal. Right? Even though it's so hard he willingly goes back to the prison to contemplate if he's doing the right thing, he knows he has to because it's the right thing to do.

That and the last line of the book really I mean, it's like it speaks to me: "all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope". Really, that's kind of what I have to do, right? Just hope that I can overcome this. And like, if you really try, even if you're trapped, things can get better for you. Because the opportunities will come along to improve things if you look for them. So, I mean, I'm looking. Even if my prison is a lot more abstract than Dants' and a lot more difficult to get out of - he didn't submit to a fate that had taken everything away from him. Neither have my parents. So neither can I, right?

megane posted:

If you really had to, who'd be the first one you'd give to Them?

And, wow, this question is really kind of depressing after that last answer. This is a hard thing to think about, really. Uhm, I don't tend to get a super lot of choice. Sometimes I do pick, though...do you know how tough it is making suggestions to Them about who They should take? I try to...point Them at bad people, I guess. Bullies, abusers, druggies, that sort of thing. I guess...people who are making the world worse? But it's a lot like a first come, first serve sort of thing, only way, way worse. They want people who They can take without notice. They don't tend to really care about the particulars. I guess it's just...try to find a big jerk and lure them away from anyone and just let Them have them, right? It sounds a lot more simple than it is - even really mean people probably don't deserve what happens when They get you. But I mean, even good people have been taken by Them, so...there's not a lot of discussion on the matter.

Uhm...my parents and I have talked about what happens if ...if They ever come while we're on the road. If They ever find us while we're moving. And well, I'm supposed to let Them have Dad first, and then Mom. And then I'm supposed to find a really big city, the closest, biggest city, if They don't let up. Because apparently I'm so important I'm supposed to let Them depopulate like, Chicago or something rather than take me instead. I don't know what I'd ever do if that day ever comes, though. Instead of what I'm supposed to do - I know, I know, it's not fair that I have this responsibility but I have it. But if They find me on the road, I don't think I'd have any place where I'd be safe, anymore. And me rolling into city after city and just letting Them take everyone away over and over...I'd have to do something, wouldn't I? Maybe something drastic, even? Or maybe I shouldn't. "Wait and Hope", right? I have to believe something will help me, somehow, at some point. Or that I'll figure out a way to stop Them, once and for all.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

quote:

Who do you really, really wish would talk to you? Why don't you think they ever will?

There was a girl last summer... Gretchen. It's dumb, but we kinda bonded over us both having old lady names. We joked about becoming old spinsters living together with a bunch of old cats and a single toy poodle just to break up the cat lady monotony.

And we had sex. Just once. It was awkward. Maybe a mistake. I dunno. One of the kids had a stash of schnapps, I blame that. We never really talked afterwards. I wanted to, but... y'know, poo poo happened. In the lake.

She's back this year, but she's changed. She reinvented herself Madonna style. Calls herself Gia, like the model... Did she even see the movie?

I really want to know if she remembers, and if it... if it meant anything. I keep trying to talk to her, but when I go to approach her I panic and she looks right through me. If SHE would just come to ME maybe we could talk... but she never does. I don't think "Gia" wants to remember anything "Gretchen" did, but who is she fooling? And gently caress, what was she thinking with that hair color?

quote:

When do you feel the most like you used to... before?
When I'm surrounded by people, I feel alive. I don't even have to be the center of attention of anything.

A lot of kids think I'm creepy, try to avoid me... but some of them get it. I mean, they don't GET IT, but they're willing to talk. They say I'm a really good listener. They tell me what's bothering them. It feels great... helping people, I mean.

I wish more people would do that. Talk to me. Like being around them works for a little while, but it's a quick fix. I stand there long enough and their voices seem far away even when I'm right there. I need more than that. I need them to talk to me. I need them to tell me everything... Everything... All these loving assholes with their dirty little secrets, acting like they're so perfect. Like they're above me? I want to own them.

Wait, what?

Oh, uh, did I say own?

I meant help. Not own. Help.

Yeah. Help.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread