Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We're doing a quickie this time, ADTRW. We're watching Diebuster, the sequel to the hit 80s OVA Gunbuster.

It's real good, directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki of FLCL fame, and written by Yōji Enokido (Utena, FLCL, a bunch of other good things) back when he was still killing it.

While you don't necessarily have to watch Gunbuster to enjoy this, seeing Gunbuster beforehand will help you appreciate certain aspects of Diebuster. Plus both are only 6 episodes so it doesn't take long to watch anyhow.

Schedule:

The simul will start a week from now, on Monday July 27th. This is going to run over the course of two weeks, and we will be watch an episode on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8PM EST. But it doesn't matter if you can't catch it live, because the important thing is talking about the show with the good folks of ADTRW. Yeah!

UPDATE: After careful deliberation it has been decided, it will be 2 episodes each day, over one week

As for obtaining the show, there's a physical English release but no legal streams. Here's an Amazon link, if you want to buy the dvds for this simulwatch. Which you should do because supporting things is cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunbuster-2-Complete-Kazuya-Tsurumaki/dp/B00BUAEZFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437431234&sr=8-1&keywords=diebuster

Let's have a good time watching Diebuster, everyone.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Excited. I've been meaning to watch this ever since I watched Gunbuster a year or so ago, and simulwatching things is good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

diebuster is good and has a very catchy OP

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

diebuster is good and has a very catchy OP

It's the best recycled footage OP out there and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm always up for another excuse to rewatch Diebuster.

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
Awesome! I just ordered this (along with Turn A Gundam) from RightStuf yesterday!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I won't be able to do the simulwatch because once day 1 starts I'll just end up marathoning the whole show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sharkopath posted:

I won't be able to do the simulwatch because once day 1 starts I'll just end up marathoning the whole show.

good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

You could do that...for every day.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm finally watching Gunbuster thanks to this thread, after having it on my "to watch" list for years. Great first episode, I'm going to stay up 'till 3am drinking party cake vodka and watching the rest.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm ready, to watch Diebuster again.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
My controversial anime opinion is that diebuster is way better than gunbuster so I am pumped for this

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

darealkooky posted:

My controversial anime opinion is that diebuster is way better than gunbuster so I am pumped for this

I'd say it's just the least popular position, personally I'm there too.

Gunbuster at its heart is just a story about courage in the face of calamitous events and the characters themselves are shallow vessels for the science fiction and action to happen.

Diebuster is about the importance of Friendship in the face of calamitous events in contrast, and besides the good music and cool animation by cool dudes like yoh yoshinari it rests almost entirely on the strength of that central relationship to carry it forward, and it's a real good one.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Gunbuster ep 04 trip report follows.

:krad:

I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold off on watching Diebuster until next Monday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Switching straight from Gunbuster to Diebuster is quite a trip since they're both very much products of their time but 16 years of anime trends separate them.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Switching straight from Gunbuster to Diebuster is quite a trip since they're both very much products of their time but 16 years of anime trends separate them.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll hold off until the simulwatch by watching Kino's Journey, which I've also never seen.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm looking forward to it. I'll hold off until the simulwatch by watching Kino's Journey, which I've also never seen.

This is a good decision.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Gunbusterrrrrrrr

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I will handle the forum Lal'C cosplay

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

you do have to watch gunbuster before watching diebuster. it's not a matter of "appreciating" it better. tons of parts and the whole ending don't make sense if you haven't seen gunbuster

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah how are you supposed to cry at the ending of Diebuster if you don't have the Gunbuster context

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pretty much the only reason I worded it like that is because I know a few pals who love Diebuster a lot but refuse to watch Gunbuster.

It's hard to sell some folks on old stuff so I figure if they'll choose between watching Diebuster or nothing at all, I'd rather see the former happen!

And then maybe they will be convinced to watch Gunbuster, and then Diebuster again...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's better to get some -buster than none at all, but Gunbuster is beautiful and badass and should be watched by all. the amv of it set to the Busou Renkin OP is what finally convinced me to watch and then i had to check out the sequel.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Pretty much the only reason I worded it like that is because I know a few pals who love Diebuster a lot but refuse to watch Gunbuster.

Tell me their names, so I can cut them down.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Interested in this, but since I'd want to watch Gunbuster first and I'm trying to avoid spending money at the moment I'll have to pass.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Srice posted:

*unsheathes katana*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i didn't know Gunbuster had an English DVD but wow it's still $50

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

i didn't know Gunbuster had an English DVD but wow it's still $50

I have some janky copy by "Kiseki Films" that has English subtitles, but there's a Blu-Ray of Gunbuster now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just finished Gunbuster and it loving ruled.

edit: any excuse to share this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLItlCQsD4E

Srice posted:

you consider these people.... pals?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 22, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
gunbuster is way better.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

will there be anime babes?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Uznare posted:

gunbuster is way better.

it was so fuckin good man. I'm looking forward to Diebuster but it's in for an uphill battle.

alright.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fair warning to everyone who has seen gunbuster but not diebuster: They are quite different. Do not expect more of the same, it is not what you are getting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

Fair warning to everyone who has seen gunbuster but not diebuster: They are quite different. Do not expect more of the same, it is not what you are getting.

You're getting something way better, animation and character wise.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm tempted to rewatch Gunbuster since it's been awhile, and also since I just watched Aim for the Ace, but I'm worried how it will influence my rewatch of Diebuster. I remember not liking Diebuster as much the first time around because I wanted more Gunbuster. Maybe I'll watch them in reverse order, this time.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I want more gunbuster but I'm just gonna accept it as it's own thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CuLT posted:

I have some janky copy by "Kiseki Films" that has English subtitles,

That's the UK version and has some boobies cut out because we used to do that sort of thing.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Diebuster is one of the most bizarrely horrible anime I've ever seen. I really have no idea why they did this to Gunbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

diebuster is better than gunbuster but i dont think gunbuster is that good

• Locked thread