Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think they're both good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I think they're both good.

Yah

I also think it's weird to start up this whole tribalism thing before the simul even starts! Especially from people that aren't even gonna participate.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

diebuster is better than gunbuster but i dont think gunbuster is that good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

Yah

I also think it's weird to start up this whole tribalism thing before the simul even starts! Especially from people that aren't even gonna participate.
good point, sorry

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

good point, sorry

No worries!

I figure there'll be plenty of it after the simul ends so I just wanted to cut it off now, though personally I hope it doesn't dominate the discussions since there's a lot of really cool things going on in Diebuster.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cool things, like Soixante Six

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

No worries!

I figure there'll be plenty of it after the simul ends so I just wanted to cut it off now, though personally I hope it doesn't dominate the discussions since there's a lot of really cool things going on in Diebuster.

I'm actually cool with it because I will destroy anybody who asserts diebuster is bad, but with words instead of violence.

I have to wait until the simul starts though... I think making it two weeks was a bad idea. It splits up real nicely in terms of pacing into two episode blocks.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 22, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I'm actually cool with it because I will destroy anybody who asserts diebuster is bad, but with words instead of violence.

I have to wait until the simul starts though... I think making it two weeks was a bad idea.

I thought about making it one week, but ultimately I decided that giving a little room between each episode could be interesting, and also it would be like a microcosm of the unbearable wait when it originally came out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That said I typed up a lot of it up on a whim so if others want to do it that way then I can change it!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It really doesn't annoy me that it's going to be different. I mean I'm assuming it takes place at least 12,000 years after Gunbuster.

I mean drat the humans could've been replaced by the psychic space dolphins in that time.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

I thought about making it one week, but ultimately I decided that giving a little room between each episode could be interesting, and also it would be like a microcosm of the unbearable wait when it originally came out.

Looking forward to your upcoming Berserk simulreadathon :shepicide:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

That said I typed up a lot of it up on a whim so if others want to do it that way then I can change it!

Episodes 1 and 2 serve as a strong introduction, 3-4 are an expansion of the world established and also lays the foundation for the finale, 5-6 start right out of the gate and end in the final reconciliation. That's just how I ended up watching it and I think it works better that way then stretching out interminably.

The episodes are only sub 30 minutes so I don't think two episodes a night with a break in between are unreasonable.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 22, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jostiband posted:

Looking forward to your upcoming Berserk simulreadathon :shepicide:

12,000 years later...

edit: Are there psychic space dolphins in Diebuster?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Both 'busters are kind of microcosms of what Gainax was like at the times they were released, so Gunbuster is very 80's sci-fi with a bit of the tongue-in-cheek parody that they carried over from their Daicon videos, whereas Diebuster was something born from the FLCL and eventually Gurren Lagann schools of thoughts in style/action/animation. I think both succeed extremely well at serving this purpose and thus that ranking them is somewhat unnecessary.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Episodes 1 and 2 serve as a strong introduction, 3-4 are an expansion of the world established and also lays the foundation for the finale, 5-6 start right out of the gate and end in the final reconciliation. That's just how I ended up watching it and I think it works better that way then stretching out interminably.

The episodes are only sub 30 minutes so I don't think two episodes a night with a break in between are unreasonable.

Those are some v good points, so it is done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

diebuster is better than gunbuster but i dont think gunbuster is that good

*unsheathes my katana*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm probably gonna watch Gunbuster this weekend to prepare, if people want to talk about that as well.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I'm doing that as well I think, it's been a while

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm already watching it a second time with a friend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My schedule will be 2 episodes a day starting Friday, it's been a hot minute since I've watched Gunbuster but I did watch Diebuster about 9 months ago. Looking forward to watching that again as well.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im going to watch gunbuster and diebuster in the hope that possibly a good robot show besides evangelion exists

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

im going to watch gunbuster and diebuster in the hope that possibly a good robot show besides evangelion exists

Well you're in luck because Gunbuster is a Hideaki Anno joint.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

There are many good robot shows actually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a really fantastic scene in Gunbuster where it's inside a girls washroom and they're using proper shots to have plants and steam and shampoo bottles cover up all the nudity and then the character named Jung Freud enters the center of the frame with full frontal nudity, bush and all, lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that's the bit they cut out of the UK version I watched as a teenager.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

In Training posted:

There's a really fantastic scene in Gunbuster where it's inside a girls washroom and they're using proper shots to have plants and steam and shampoo bottles cover up all the nudity and then the character named Jung Freud enters the center of the frame with full frontal nudity, bush and all, lol.

it was beautiful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Goondolences.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

:rip:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its the scene my friend talked about when i asked about the show, he got really into it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

its the scene my friend talked about when i asked about the show, he got really into it

Friends who still get hype about anime nudity are really great.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I only get hype for 80s anime nudity these days.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

thanks man

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I showed my roommates the Mine Fujiko opening and they all nodded their heads and muttered "Niiiice". Very cool

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Ok.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I'll rewatch the last ep of Gunbuster in preparation.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

atl east watch the last two. Waht the heck man...

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Incidentally, thanks for the thread Srice, good reminder to rewatch Gunbuster.

Looking forward to rewatching Diebuster too!

Diebuster ain't go no 80s training montage tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhGz6eKow8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CuLT posted:

Incidentally, thanks for the thread Srice, good reminder to rewatch Gunbuster.

Looking forward to rewatching Diebuster too!

Diebuster ain't go no 80s training montage tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhGz6eKow8

Man, that music is channeling Chariots of Fire hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, Gainax loves parodying stuff hard.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I decided to just watch the first episode (I just finished Gunbuster) and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's gonna be hard to hold out on the rest until Monday.

• Locked thread