Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Just finished the first ep. That was some awesome giant robot fighting. How the hell did I go so long without seeing this? I loved FLCL and the animation is so drat similar (right down to the scooter). Gonna grab a beer and start ep 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just from a surface enjoyment perspective this is already more fun to watch than the other thing.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
That laser volley at least looked cool.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 28, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I guess they aren't really bothering with the hard science like in Gunbuster, but I really like that they still included the detail of seeing the light from the laser explosion just before the radiation hit them

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well those first two episodes ruled.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like I should have rewatched FLCL as well, there are lots of callbacks to it too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This anime features the greatest spacesuit of all time

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

:agreed:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

They're so cute :3:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Maaan.

You knew what I meant

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's been long enough that i had honestly forgotten dogsuit

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

it's been long enough that i had honestly forgotten dogsuit

It's been like, 20 minutes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everyone knows Groovin Magic is great, but the ED is real good too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This anime is real good stuff. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it the first time around, although who knows what was going through my mind nearly 8 years ago. I can't wait for Wednesday!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Everyone knows Groovin Magic is great, but the ED is real good too.

When good EDs start up before the credits, it elevates them to great.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It's been like, 20 minutes

i'm not watching it yet!

e: both are good, but i have always preferred the ED

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't want to start a gun vs die debate, but i do think diebuster's early episodes are better at telling you what the show is about than gunbuster's.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I guess they aren't really bothering with the hard science like in Gunbuster, but I really like that they still included the detail of seeing the light from the laser explosion just before the radiation hit them

While I loved the plot element of time-dilation in Gunbuster, it's a stretch to say that the whole OVA is "hard science" when humanity (and the alien force) has faster-than-light travel via folding space-time. I get where you're coming from though; so far Diebuster is a long step closer to FLCL and further from LoGH. Of course a lot of that is 1988 vs 2004 Gainax.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Well those first two episodes ruled.

They sure did. I might watch the rest tonight, but I'll only post about the episodes in accordance with the simulwatch schedule (and maybe watch them again anyway).

Thanks to Srice once again for getting me to watch awesome poo poo that I haven't seen previously.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Diebuster's a weird beast, but that works to its advantage. When you're making a sequel to something from well over a decade ago, the last thing you want to do is to be a boring retread. Something like, say, Jurassic World might have raked in a lot of money but I doubt that people are going to feel anywhere near as fondly about it a decade down the line. I can understand the temptation to want to make more of a thing you like, but I'm glad Gainax resisted that temptation. It would have gone against everything they stood for, back when they were the best game in town.

Earlier in the thread Nate RFB made a comment that the 'Busters were microcosms of what Gainax was like at the time, and that's absolutely true. Not just in paying homage to the anime they liked at the time, but also in their sci-fi preferences. Whenever the subject of favorite 80s anime comes up, more often than not you'll see a bunch of sci-fi anime listed (with Ghibli films of that era being on the list too, of course). And that love for sci-fi was around at Gainax as well. With Gunbuster they pay a lot of attention to the details of their setting, and while it's certainly not completely accurate (Hard sci-fi debates can be tedious so I'm mainly going by *how* it's presented) they focus on a few concepts and make the science sound plausible.

Diebuster just doesn't give a poo poo about that.

And I'm down with it.

I'm not going to say the science parts of Gunbuster aren't interesting, since I liked those parts enough. But in many cases I prefer Diebuster's approach to sci-fi: The science just works, and it's used to move the story along. In fact with Diebuster it's at an extreme opposite, with a lot of the science being so otherworldly that you could say it's magic and nothing would change.

And it all serves to give one hell of a first impression when watching the beginning of Diebuster. Most people are either down with it, or instantly hate that it (seemingly) has nothing to do with Gunbuster outside of a few terms and vague references like Nono ripping her shirt*. But for my money's worth, it's a stronger introduction than Gunbuster. The beginning episodes of Gunbuster are more focused on being a mecha-themed Aim for the Ace homage, but Diebuster immediately knows what it wants to do with its cast. After two episodes of each Nono is not only far more fleshed out than Noriko at that point, but way more questions about her character are raised. After two episodes of Diebuster I want to know what exactly is going on with Nono. Two episodes into Gunbuster? I am mainly thinking about how cool Coach is.

There are a few other points I wanna bring up during the simul but I've been rambling on this post for too long and I gotta get some sleep soon, so I gotta cut this short. I'm sure I'll wake up in the morning, look at this post, and think "Good lord what on earth did I type?".

*I might dig up some funny posts later if I find anything of note, but looking back in 2004 there were Gunbuster diehards that instantly hated it for not being Gunbuster. One amusing comment I saw was a guy complaining that: "n00bs are gonna eat it up cuz it has cute girls with bouncing jugs but the ooriginal which si a true classic will have gone completely over their heads!!! ". I'm sure the irony is lost on no one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I love Diebuster so much that I'll make exhausted rambling posts about it. Yeah!!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

long posts about a thing you like are cool, imo, and i read all that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did they mention nono was a robot in ep 1 or is that just kinda thrown out there by the peeper for the first time? does explain how she can breathe in space tho

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've had the dvds for years but never watched them until now; thanks for the motivation!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

did they mention nono was a robot in ep 1 or is that just kinda thrown out there by the peeper for the first time? does explain how she can breathe in space tho

It's mentioned first in ep 2. If they revealed it in ep one it would be lesssurprising when she starts doing cool stuff.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

I love Diebuster so much that I'll make exhausted rambling posts about it. Yeah!!

It was a good post.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They hint about it a bunch in episode 1. Nono is ridiculously powerful and precise even while being clumsy, her pupils have an entirely different style than the style regular people have in the show. When she goes nono mode they blink like vcr lights. Her space surivivap just kinda confirms that she's definitely not human, but they don't say she a robot in 1.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Droyer posted:

It's mentioned first in ep 2. If they revealed it in ep one it would be lesssurprising when she starts doing cool stuff.

Agreed. In episode one I was stumped as to how Nono wasn't dead ten times over, and then half a minute into episode two I let out a big, "Ohhhh she's a robot."

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
man I totally forgot about the talking animal being a thing that exists

Davincie posted:

it's kinda implied by her ability to split a fridge perfectly in half

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

man I totally forgot about the talking animal being a thing that exists

it's kinda implied by her ability to split a fridge perfectly in half

It isn't a talking cat though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Topless are espers so what tycho can do is really simple compared to the dude bending all reality to take control of the space fleet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i stalled at episode 3 of my Gunbuster rewatch, which has made me notice that, yes, Diebuster has a way stronger first two episodes. it references Gunbuster without getting bogged down in it's homages like Gunbuster did with Ace.

also, Dix Neuf :blush:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want Dix-Neuf to hold me in his strong arms.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tattooed Yakuza is the best aesthetic for a robot design.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The first two episodes were good and besides some of the 3D shots I got nothing bad to say about them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dix-Neuf's design is based on a japanese gang leader, or Bancho. The Buster Gaiter it used in the first episode is supposed to be a giant robot version of an knuckle iron.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i figured the Gaiter was a reference to the Gunbuster spike-tread feet, but them going all-in on the bancho thing is cool

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I did a post early because I work today, theres a bunch of gifs i'll add here too:

I forgot and now remembered why diebuster is my favorite anime. Theres so many cool touches like how meaningful Lalc's soliloquy at the beginning here becomes by the end. Nono is a really poetic and heartfelt robot and one of my favorite characters of all time. I had totally forgotten how big of a jerk nicola was, the definition of a boy misusing their power because they know just how limited it really is. Lots of cool stuff but also lots of wierd stuff in this first episode. I totally forgot that they used a 3d model for some cuts of dix-neuf and its very wierd and jarring, compared to the beautiful fully animated stuff that you see in the exact same scene. I love it all though. The first fight between dix and a monster is especially fluid and incredible, but when nicola cuts the monster in half in episode 2 is just as incredible, I thought that was cg in my head but it looks hand animated, must have taken forever.

now I can take these spoilers off

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

This anime is real good stuff. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it the first time around, although who knows what was going through my mind nearly 8 years ago. I can't wait for Wednesday!

You're not alone, I hated the first ep when I watched it at the time because of how not-Gunbuster it was and I definitely wasn't alone in that opinion here. I mellowed out later and genuinely enjoy it now but it was a shock at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Being an FLCL fanboy back in 2004 (it was a big deal at the time spending $12.50 per episode for those DVDs...) helped me appreciate the aesthetic plenty, but I remember the first time around being so confused and conflicted by the split fridge, inazuma kick, space combat survival and random (I hadn't seen Gunbuster) tearing aside her shirt.

Watching it again now... was loads more fun. I am feeling mildly inadequate considering I couldn't initially recall which 3D scene you all were taking issue with. I guess it would be this one:

Also forgot about Grooooooooovin Magic.:duckie:

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread