Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't remember that CGI shot of Dix-Neuf being that bad and I was ready to cringe at a bunch of other early 2000's CG stuff but there really wasn't anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i kinda shrugged of most robot hints as stylistic choices or slapstick gags, they make sense in retrospect though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I shouldn't have watched Gunbuster immediately before this. I'm like 20 minutes into the first episode and might not even watch the rest...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can persevere, I believe in you...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

You can persevere, I believe in you...

No I mean I'm just watching and thinking how much I like Gunbuster more. Last time I watched Die it had been like half a year since I saw Gun and thought it was "Eh". Now I kinda just don't like it at all. Except for the music.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna watch the whole thing though! Before I write my thoughts on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm gonna watch the whole thing though! Before I write my thoughts on it.

Cool. I was hoping I'd see a dissenting opinion with some thought put into it, and the naysayers from before the simul started aren't watching so cheers for sticking it out :toot:.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Well I just finished Gunbuster thanks to this thread :cry:

I get right on to Diebuster when I can pull myself together.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Already finished but I'm gonna wait for everyone else and I'm looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Sydnesider posted:

Well I just finished Gunbuster thanks to this thread :cry:

I get right on to Diebuster when I can pull myself together.

Yeah the ending was really touching.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 29, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Me and In Training are going to have an incredibly brutal battle but with words, buy your tickets now.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Already finished but I'm gonna wait for everyone else and I'm looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Yeah the ending was really touching.

Undergoing emergency injection of Gatchaman and Working into my lifeless heart.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gonna go shopping and then marathon the first four episodes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, I forgot how much like FLCL Diebuster draws from. I think when I first watched Diebuster, it was fresh off Gunbuster so I didn't immediately notice. Which was odd of me considering I watched Gunbuster and Diebuster because I wanted to see Tsurumaki's other work, so I watched Gunbuster first for context.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OK, one episode down. I like it so far, but yeah, this is very very different from Gunbuster.

Thoughts:
  • I don't think I'm a fan of the Dix-Neuf's design. It was better once it started moving more dynamically, but it just doesn't do a ton for me.
  • It seems awfully early for the shirt-ripping, but I guess they really wanted to make that joke.
  • Nono is a ton of fun.
  • Other girl whose name appeared once or twice but I don't remember save that it had an apostrophe in it isn't as fun yet, but has promise.
  • I suppose I expect sexual harassment = hilarious from old Gainax, but I don't particularly care for it.

On to episode two!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Do not be forgetting Lal'c Melk Mal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She's a native martian and one of the few anime characters you can never cosplay without some melanin in ya.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Melk and cookies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If she doesn't complete her focus she's going to turn into a crystal :D :grin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 4 is great and also the real reason you have to watch Gunbuster first.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I found out diebusters website http://www.top2.jp/ is still up and also the combined diegun movie came with a statue for its limited edition and i want the statue

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Melk and cookies

melk en koekjes

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

whoah

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I just want a Noriko nendo.

Anyway, I liked Diebuster. I wanted to love it but it just didn't happen. A lot of this comes from just a visceral gut feeling but there were also a few things I just flat out didn't like.

I'll go into more detail when the simul's over. Also I'm kinda hoping that I'll like it a little more after a second viewing, it seems like a lot if you liked it more after seeing it a second time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm putting you on Training's team for the big battle that will happen at the end of the thread, please remember which team you are on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope I'm right about one point of contention a lot of folks who binged it probably have

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Second episode is nifty, too.

Again, thoughts:
  • Oh, Nono's a robot. I guess that explains her kicking giant space aliens and surviving out of atmosphere, though I'd just put that down to burning spirit.
  • The OP's great.
  • I suppose it should have been mentioned after the first episode, but the ED's pretty good, too (but the OP's better). I like the penultimate sketch in it, with the silhouetted Nono on a hill. Heck, I'll grab a screenshot to remove any ambiguity. This one:
  • I liked the spaceship captain's design, but he was a dick. He had a cool hat that I am jealous of.
  • Dude Topless is gonna be an antagonist, perhaps when he begins losing his Topless powers. This is my prediction.
  • Dix-Neuf is growing on me. I like his eye, always lookin'.

I am now going to go read what others had to say about these episodes, and look forward to this evening, when I will watch the next pair.

e:
  • Oh, and that bunny-thing spacesuit was amazing.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 29, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

spaceship captain looked like a warhammer character

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

spaceship captain looked like a warhammer character

Yeah, I could see that. I like the old "we take ourselves seriously but no-one else does" IG stuff, so I guess it makes sense that I'd like him.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now that I've read folks pointing it out, I've realized that I disliked Dix-Neuf's lovely CG appearance, not the cool robot itself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

Diebuster's a weird beast, but that works to its advantage. When you're making a sequel to something from well over a decade ago, the last thing you want to do is to be a boring retread. Something like, say, Jurassic World might have raked in a lot of money but I doubt that people are going to feel anywhere near as fondly about it a decade down the line. I can understand the temptation to want to make more of a thing you like, but I'm glad Gainax resisted that temptation. It would have gone against everything they stood for, back when they were the best game in town.

Earlier in the thread Nate RFB made a comment that the 'Busters were microcosms of what Gainax was like at the time, and that's absolutely true. Not just in paying homage to the anime they liked at the time, but also in their sci-fi preferences. Whenever the subject of favorite 80s anime comes up, more often than not you'll see a bunch of sci-fi anime listed (with Ghibli films of that era being on the list too, of course). And that love for sci-fi was around at Gainax as well. With Gunbuster they pay a lot of attention to the details of their setting, and while it's certainly not completely accurate (Hard sci-fi debates can be tedious so I'm mainly going by *how* it's presented) they focus on a few concepts and make the science sound plausible.

Diebuster just doesn't give a poo poo about that.

And I'm down with it.

I'm not going to say the science parts of Gunbuster aren't interesting, since I liked those parts enough. But in many cases I prefer Diebuster's approach to sci-fi: The science just works, and it's used to move the story along. In fact with Diebuster it's at an extreme opposite, with a lot of the science being so otherworldly that you could say it's magic and nothing would change.

And it all serves to give one hell of a first impression when watching the beginning of Diebuster. Most people are either down with it, or instantly hate that it (seemingly) has nothing to do with Gunbuster outside of a few terms and vague references like Nono ripping her shirt*. But for my money's worth, it's a stronger introduction than Gunbuster. The beginning episodes of Gunbuster are more focused on being a mecha-themed Aim for the Ace homage, but Diebuster immediately knows what it wants to do with its cast. After two episodes of each Nono is not only far more fleshed out than Noriko at that point, but way more questions about her character are raised. After two episodes of Diebuster I want to know what exactly is going on with Nono. Two episodes into Gunbuster? I am mainly thinking about how cool Coach is.

There are a few other points I wanna bring up during the simul but I've been rambling on this post for too long and I gotta get some sleep soon, so I gotta cut this short. I'm sure I'll wake up in the morning, look at this post, and think "Good lord what on earth did I type?".

*I might dig up some funny posts later if I find anything of note, but looking back in 2004 there were Gunbuster diehards that instantly hated it for not being Gunbuster. One amusing comment I saw was a guy complaining that: "n00bs are gonna eat it up cuz it has cute girls with bouncing jugs but the ooriginal which si a true classic will have gone completely over their heads!!! ". I'm sure the irony is lost on no one.

This is a good post, and

dogsicle posted:

i stalled at episode 3 of my Gunbuster rewatch, which has made me notice that, yes, Diebuster has a way stronger first two episodes. it references Gunbuster without getting bogged down in it's homages like Gunbuster did with Ace.

also, Dix Neuf :blush:

Droyer posted:

I don't want to start a gun vs die debate, but i do think diebuster's early episodes are better at telling you what the show is about than gunbuster's.

yeah, these opening episodes are much stronger than Gun-'s.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Allarion posted:

Man, I forgot how much like FLCL Diebuster draws from. I think when I first watched Diebuster, it was fresh off Gunbuster so I didn't immediately notice. Which was odd of me considering I watched Gunbuster and Diebuster because I wanted to see Tsurumaki's other work, so I watched Gunbuster first for context.

Between the Topless and the Fraternity it'd not be much of a stretch at all to say they share the same universe, which is really cool I think!

On a completely different topic, there's apparently a OVA style manga for Gunbuster. Tennis on the moon!
And either this or another series covers Buster Machines 4-6, explaining why Nono is 7.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 29, 2015

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Given how dedicated the show is to showing us the one girl's bloomers in every scene I think it's missing a big opportunity by not showing lots of dude Topless' rear end, since he's wearing those tiny shorts. Maybe it shows up more in later eps though

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nono has a way better butt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nono doesn't have any rear end at all.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Gainax missed a big opportunity, to design a better rear end

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Gainax missed a big opportunity, to design a better rear end

Gunbusters asses were far superior.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dix Neuf is the only manservice in this show which is sad but, considering the other male characters, acceptable

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Gunbusters asses were far superior.
I don't want to see Coach's rear end :whitewater:

dogsicle posted:

Dix Neuf is the only manservice in this show which is sad but, considering the other male characters, acceptable
You're right the show doesn't need any man rear end he just needs to ditch the coat for good

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Noriko's relationship with Coach was kinda hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started watching early because I'll be busy later tonight and I'm not gonna be able to finish. I'll have to stop after 3 episodes. No will to put in Disc 2. Sorry all.

• Locked thread