Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoubleDonut posted:

Which of these single dad manga involve a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a lady, who is preferably not 1. his daughter or 2. a student in his high-school class

(Nothing against a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a man, it's just not what I'm looking for)

Ashiteruze Baby kind of counts, from what I remember, I mean she's a student in his high school class but then so is he, I'm assuming you were mostly against the guy being a teacher.

My Girl has a relationship progress eventually but it's very much not the focus.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yes, sorry, I meant I didn't want a teacher/student relationship

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DoubleDonut posted:

Which of these single dad manga involve a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a lady, who is preferably not 1. his daughter or 2. a student in his high-school class

(Nothing against a dad who eventually enters a relationship with a man, it's just not what I'm looking for)

Otaku no Musume-san, I guess? An uneven series, but it meets the criteria you list, kind of.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

yeah can you post more like the alien one where its a couple and not a single dad

z0glin Warchief posted:

Maybe more of a mom manga than a dad manga, but Yoningurashi is pretty good. It's about a cute family of four by the author of Usagi Drop, but without any of the stuff that makes people not want to recommend Usagi Drop. It's finished too!

This one fits that bill I think. There is no alien though.

Leper Residue posted:

I just read through 145 chapters of Hotman, and now I'm kind of pissed that I'm never going to get any resolution to it.

:unsmigghh:

Actually I forgot it never got finished, I should see if I can find a copy of the last few volumes and get someone to edit/typeset for me.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Where are all the Bara dads? They must be out there somewhere.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dating dads and/or dads already in relationships

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaeru-no-Ossan/1-Read-Online?id=192788
mostly cheap gags tho

Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie is already in the op but has a dad who gets in a relationship with a single mom

gakuen babysitters has a bunch of dads and moms but they are side characters instead of the focus (the focus is hot guys in school babysitting cute kids)

the couple in i can't understand what my husband is saying is currently expecting a baby

the usagi drop anime features the single dad trying to date single moms, but well you know

Soshite, Hare ni Naru is about a family of women, no dads as far as i remember but i figure its worth mentioning since it hasn't been so far. actual developing relationships too

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Old Man Frog is great and I love it.

The kid never mentions his father (except that other kids tease him about not having one) and mom and the frog were together in high school which makes me wonder if frog guy might actually be his dad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i read Yoningurashi by the usagi drop lady. it was pretty good. i was wary at first because of its author but there's none of the weird stuff

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

i read Yoningurashi by the usagi drop lady. it was pretty good. i was wary at first because of its author but there's none of the weird stuff

This looks really cute; putting it on my list to read.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:sigh: I went as slow as I could but I finally ran out of Sweetness and Lightning to read. The end of the curry chapter really brought the tears.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
My Girl was cute, but the ending was a bit quick and also I thought the girl was way too perfect, nice, undertsanding etc.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The mom and fly girl really are the best characters in Old Man Frog. The son unknowingly following in both his moms and frog mans footsteps is fantastic.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

I've been reading this and while it's not so saccharine sweet as gakuen or love so life, it's really good. It's nice reading about a family starting together and staying together and what not.

The part I'm at now seems to have dropped the annoying 'love rivals' and is just them being an awesome family and it's really good. Like there is one, but it's so obvious she has no chance that you can't really hate her.

edit: Just caught up to the latest chapter on kissmanga, was totally a good read, and honestly if there weren't anymore updates it'd be a good ending.

Seconding House With the Orange Roof. Solid balance of comedy and heartwarming, though the romance is so poorly shoehorned in that the author later added a retcon chapter just to explain the heroine's inexplicable sudden attraction.

Plus, it's the Brady Bunch: anime edition.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Musuko no Yome

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Musuko-no-Yome

Old man gets a phone call telling him his estranged son has passed away. And it turns out the caller is his son's widowed wife who is also a 16 year old girl.

Only 3 chapters so far. It's by the author of Yandere Kanojo and has a similar feel to it. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing considering Yandere Kanojo has quite a few strange relationships. I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Trihugger posted:

It's by the author of Yandere Kanojo and has a similar feel to it.

sold

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Trihugger posted:

Musuko no Yome

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Musuko-no-Yome

Old man gets a phone call telling him his estranged son has passed away. And it turns out the caller is his son's widowed wife who is also a 16 year old girl.

Only 3 chapters so far. It's by the author of Yandere Kanojo and has a similar feel to it. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing considering Yandere Kanojo has quite a few strange relationships. I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

This has promise.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trihugger posted:

I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

Same; I almost posted it when I read it earlier but felt like 3 chapters was too soon to tell and didn't want to be the one linking to something that turns out weird later.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I went and read the raws for the first volume and it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere weird. But then again neither did Usagi Drop so :shrug:.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

Ikumen After
A cute, sweet story about two single dads Asakura and Kentarou, whose young sons happen to go to the same daycare.

read this one, twas ok. im not really the audience obviously, it ended rather suddenly with dropped plot lines (brother in law appeared once and then never again) and the translation was rather shoddy but outside of that it was ok

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Trihugger posted:

I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

It'd be nice if someone who speaks English decided to translate it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's a new chapter of yotsuba

http://imperialscans.com/read/yotsubato/88-yotsuba-black-monster/1

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
One of the reason Yotsuba is so good is because she can actually be kind of terrible. Most of the kids in these manga are all too sweet and perfect and would never gorge themselves on pizza until they vomit.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

KING OF DAD MANGA.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Grandma.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Did Otaku no Musume-san get mentioned?

quote:

Summary:
Kanau Yukimura is nine years old and she's meeting her father for the first time. However, he turns out to be an otaku! The two of them start living together in the same apartment, next to a lot of interesting neighbors. Unsurprisingly, things don't always go smoothly for these two...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Otaku-no-Musume-san

The summary appears to imply its about the daughter or her perspective, but I always felt it was well balanced between kanau and kouta.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She has apps. Apps!

I'm kinda worried about the Kowai's in their apparently haunted house though :ohdear:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Three loving pages and nobody has mentioned Dr. Slump? Things doesn't get more fatherly than that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I can't really pinpoint the time it became terrible, but otaku no musume started off really strong and funny and just became absolute poo poo. I think it may have been the reveal that the highschool landlord was married to the 50+ year old mangaka that signaled the downward spiral

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Relin posted:

I can't really pinpoint the time it became terrible, but otaku no musume started off really strong and funny and just became absolute poo poo. I think it may have been the reveal that the highschool landlord was married to the 50+ year old mangaka that signaled the downward spiral

That's about where I stopped enjoying it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Sweetness and Lightning is cool and good but it isn't Cooking Papa.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Relin posted:

Weird. I never really had an issue with it and further past that is when some good things happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nehezir posted:

Weird. I never really had an issue with it and further past that is when some good things happen.

Now I know you are lying, because nothing good ever happened in that manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sen to Man got an update! Also there's apparently drama with the scan group that picked it up, so who knows if it'll update again.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Now I know you are lying, because nothing good ever happened in that manga.
I'd say quite a lot of good happened.
Kanau getting sick because of kouta not taking his fatherly duties seriously and was a big shock that made him get his poo poo together.

Hell, later he turns down probably the only character he's suited for romantically to go get his kid back and by the end of things, even his ex seems to have evened out somewhat.

Honestly my biggest issue is that the post series content either didn't come out or didn't get translated.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chichikogusa updated!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

Chichikogusa updated!

I came to post about it! I can't read the chapter yet because I'm at work but am looking forward to reading it when I get home tonight.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

nehezir posted:

Did Otaku no Musume-san get mentioned?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Otaku-no-Musume-san

The summary appears to imply its about the daughter or her perspective, but I always felt it was well balanced between kanau and kouta.

I read all of this and own the print version, even though the latter part isn't really good (because I'm sadly a completionist).

I hate Kanau's mother. Hate. With the fury of a thousand burning suns. She's a terrible person and doesn't deserve the relatively good situation she's in at the end of the manga.

Just wanted to let you all know that.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I wish whatever changed her happened on panel. I'd have liked to see that unfold. Seeing characters' inner struggles interests me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nehezir posted:

I wish whatever changed her happened on panel. I'd have liked to see that unfold. Seeing characters' inner struggles interests me.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't her coming to realize that pedophilia is bad, and sending your kid to hang with a pedophile for a year is also bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't her coming to realize that pedophilia is bad, and sending your kid to hang with a pedophile for a year is also bad.

Yeah for all the elements of Otaku No Musume that I like, that character kind of casts a pall over them. Especially the way it just laughs the "Ho ho ho, some day he'll actually rape a child!" thing off at the end.