Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shneak posted:

That seems to be the running theme with "focus challenges" based on the two that we've had. You need to do a good face and that's apparently too much pressure? Honestly, I'm surprised there weren't more that looked like drag queens like Ricky's.

Meg's was nice because it wasn't just male to female. Stevie's I didn't get. I guess it was female enough but the skin tone went from 'ethnic' to bronze loving statue.

I am starting to get concerned that the "focus challenges" have to do with some kind of budget-saving thing behind the scenes; not only is it weak to see face-only stuff (I hated when someone get dinged for making neat armor), the bigger issue is the "2 day" aspect. Which as Glenn spoke plainly tonight is really a 1 day challenge, with application day. Everything these people do in that time is likely to be pure poo poo.

It made sense following the wedding episode since it spilled over into the next challenge, to get it back on track. But I am not eager for it to become 'a thing' and I'll be happy if that is the last one for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There are people who do the wardrobes from what I understand, the contestants tell them what they are looking for, and the wardrobe people make them.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I would like to see a challenge where they have to make the models look like one of the contestants, challenges like this one are a bit hit and miss but it's a fun change from fantasy/monster make ups.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
As a fan of both this show and RuPaul's Drag Race, this was a weird and disappointing episode. For most of the characters, prosthetics were unnecessary and actively detrimental. Adding more face to the models' faces just left them looking strangely textured and colored. This challenge really should have been all about the paint job, but only one contestant did any serious contouring—it was a big part of why Queen Mab looked as good as she did.

I feel like even 15 minutes consulting with a decent drag queen would have done a world of good for a lot of the contestants. Hell, they even had a former Drag Race contestant on the show for the wedding challenge. Then again, Ricky apparently never learned anything from his drag queen boyfriend, so who knows.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There were so many train wrecks on that last episode. I couldn't believe how this thing got second:

It looked like this dude was wearing a really bad mask, never mind how his hands were apparently not even colored to match the faces skin tone.

I pegged it for one of the bottoms, but a top look? :stonk: I'll take your word on it, Ve Neill.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

There were so many train wrecks on that last episode. I couldn't believe how this thing got second:

It looked like this dude was wearing a really bad mask, never mind how his hands were apparently not even colored to match the faces skin tone.

I pegged it for one of the bottoms, but a top look? :stonk: I'll take your word on it, Ve Neill.

I had so so so many freaking issues with this make-up that I'll rant about it. It was one of my first complaints. It bugged me throughout the whole episode I kept yelling at the tv. The skin tone of the face no way matched the rest of his body, I mean poo poo, she's a girl. She should know the #1 rule about how you should match your foundation make up with the skin tone on your throat or lower and not what's on your face to blend that poo poo in. Even I don't wear make up and I know this!

I get the feeling the judges were just pulling some bullshit out there asses cus nothing was over the top, but they still needed something to put in the top 2.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

*is specifically told that the challenge was to simulate weather exposure*
*says "gently caress IT" and does poison exposure just to be different*
*is exasperated when the judges are not happy with her*

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Well, this is new and entertaining. I like what they are doing with the gauntlet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A Goblin Pimp

Well at least it's an interesting/strange/weird/awful idea

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ben's warlock looks too much like a lazy Voldermort cosplay

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

Goblin pimp was just baaad. Also someone was channeling Voldemort with the first set of witches.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I knew the third eye was not a good idea.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I knew the third eye was not a good idea.
Meanwhile, they all liked Goblin Pimp.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I don't get how they like Stevie's paints jobs. This week the faces were too green while the exposed arms were a white skin tone. And last week her bronze skin tone was top looks but they don't like Jasmine's angel.

I like this change of challenge though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crazy Ted posted:

Meanwhile, they all liked Goblin Pimp.

The hoe-blins sold it for me. :v:

Shneak posted:

I like this change of challenge though.

I liked it a lot but as they went along the different challenges it felt like the earlier challenges didn't count for anything. Kevon was in absolute last place in round 1 and then was suddenly in first place in round 2. Evan went from equal last place in round 2 to second place in round 3.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For real though, I am honestly concerned something happened to the budget of the show.

This is like the 4th or 5th challenge this season that was banged down to 1-2 days from the normal 3 days. I think the artists this season were actually pretty talented overall, but they've had NO chance to show it, since the minute they got out of the group-challenges they were immediately slammed into these 1-2 day compressed challenges.

The first time it happened someone got landed on for making full body armor. Seriously. Half the fun of this show is seeing people make really cool poo poo, and watching them effectively enter a bunch of body painting challenges (or being given someone else's prosthetic) is weak as hell. I can't think of more than one or two normal one-person 3 day challenges this whole season.

I just feel like they were told they had two weeks less to film and are just making poo poo up to cover it. I really think the season is suffering for it, too. If this Gauntlet was a full day for each of the 3 challenges, the quality of work could have gone way up even here.

ED: Also I think they get paid by the word because while it's ALWAYS been there, Kryolan makeup went from being mentioned a bunch to this episode feeling like a dare to shove as many Kryolan references in; it got doubly annoying when I realized ANYONE who said "I PUT THE KRYOLAN COLORS HERE" was going to be in upper looks every single time.

Just getting that "behind the scenes fuckery" vibe.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 16, 2015

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just getting that "behind the scenes fuckery" vibe.

Erm, yes, the "winner" of the season is decided in advance by the producers. At some point in a past season the judges eliminated the intended winner by accident and they had to think of something to bring her back. Good times.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I liked the idea of the gauntlet, but the "weighting" ruined it. It made the first two rounds pointless. And they eliminated Jasmine, who I thought was a top 3 contestant, and kept Stevie and Meg, who have been flirting with elimination the entire season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LabyaMynora posted:

I liked the idea of the gauntlet, but the "weighting" ruined it. It made the first two rounds pointless. And they eliminated Jasmine, who I thought was a top 3 contestant, and kept Stevie and Meg, who have been flirting with elimination the entire season.

Yep, and worst yet, they never once showed us how the actual points worked.

They just vaguely said "weighted." Was the first round worth 1 point? Was the next round with 5? What the gently caress was going on?

Caryna posted:

Erm, yes, the "winner" of the season is decided in advance by the producers. At some point in a past season the judges eliminated the intended winner by accident and they had to think of something to bring her back. Good times.

If I remember, she still didn't win, but she did kick Roy out of the top 3 which you could tell really hit him hard and gently caress her forever for that.

But yeah, I am convinced something bad happened to the shooting schedule this season. I am not looking forward to a bunch more "This is an INTENSE SUPER CHALLENGE, you have 1-2 days!" things which I bet you are around the corner. I WANT to see these people go hog wild with full body make-ups. I am loving sick of watching them spray paint faces for like the 3rd or 4th episode in a row.

I just don't think these change-ups are motivated by keeping anything fresh. I think they're motivated by a budget problem. It's insane we're this far into the show and I still don't really feel like I've gotten a good demo from anyone.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 17, 2015

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I agree that if they do this again they need to fix the weighting (or at least reveal the numbers on-screen). Going from last to first for simply getting first doesn't make a lot of sense unless it's not simply 1st = 9 points and 9th = 1 point.

Jasmine was definitely a powerhouse. She reminded me a lot of Darla.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That episode didn't make any sense. Didn't the way the Gauntlet work mean that Stevie should have gone home from being bottom in Phases 1 and 2? What did I even watch?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If I remember, she still didn't win, but she did kick Roy out of the top 3 which you could tell really hit him hard and gently caress her forever for that.

Of course she won, lookup season 3.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's all the progressive rankings in case anyone wants to try and figure out the weird rear end logic behind the judging in this episode.

First Stage results:

Second Stage results:

Leaderboard after Stage Two:

They didn't show the rankings for the final challenge but Evan and Nora were top picks and Meg and Jasmine were bottom looks.

Final Leaderboard:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Caryna posted:

Is that something you think, or you know? That is the first time i have heard it mentioned.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caryna posted:

Of course she won, lookup season 3.

I think I mind erased that because Laura won later. Laura deserved a win but yeah. That poo poo was dumb as hell.

And WHAT was up with the scoring this week? Those screen caps seem to have no logic.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I liked the gauntlet idea but clearly whatever scoring they used made the final round the only one that mattered, otherwise how do you explain Evan going from the bottom two to second overall based off of just the top score? I think if they do it again just have the ranking give the person an advantage for the next round. Maybe have it determine the order they pick the concept or extra time or something.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

Oasx posted:

Is that something you think, or you know? That is the first time i have heard it mentioned.

It's something I was told by people who are/were on the show. The makeup effects industry isn't ~that~ big and people like to talk, especially after events over a couple of drinks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Most of those concept art images you see before the big reveals on the first and second days aren't drawn by the contestants. :tinfoil:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Laura didn't win her first season because one of her two final make ups looked like an obese Jeff Daniels. Yeah, bringing back the purple haired chick with fibromyalgea or whatever was pretty lame, but she did have the two best makeups of the finale.

That was also the one where viewers voted the winner, I think, so...

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

AndyElusive posted:

Most of those concept art images you see before the big reveals on the first and second days aren't drawn by the contestants. :tinfoil:

They have artists behind the scenes that do the concept art for TV. If you notice them initially sketching there are some who can't draw to save their life.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hey guys, what's going on in the Face Off thread an hour after the show aired?

Nothing?

Ok, cool. See ya' next week!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
This thread pretty much mirrors my own interest in the show. It used to be my favorite and I followed it every week, now it's just... meh.

Maybe they should do another semi-Allstars thing and bring back people like Laura, Roy, Eric. F, Anthony, Rashaad, etc. Who cares if some of them have already won a season. I just want to see some cool make ups made by good artists. Would help if they are also given enough time to work too, the 2 day challenges are pretty lame.

As it is I think the show is just gonna drop off the face of the earth, if not after this season then maybe after the next. They don't even show repeats on Tuesdays leading up to the new episode anymore like they had done for every previous season. Doesn't look too good.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I liked Kevon's weird pestilence blob man more than Ben's police war thing. :saddowns:

At least this season has more of a variety of themed challenges compared to one of the previous years where just about every week was "make an alien."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Miz Kriss posted:

I liked Kevon's weird pestilence blob man more than Ben's police war thing. :saddowns:

Yeah me too, that result surprised me.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I think Kevon was eliminated for consistently being on the bottom, and BenPlowGuy was given a reprieve for stronger past work. Either that, or being hipster enough to wear a shirt with his own face on it on national TV.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

I think Kevon was eliminated for consistently being on the bottom, and BenPlowGuy was given a reprieve for stronger past work. Either that, or being hipster enough to wear a shirt with his own face on it on national TV.

Agreed, I was certain Ben was going watching the episode... But I'm glad they kept him I've liked his work normally.

I got a bit of a bioware style Sith Lord vibe from Evan's death, which I thought was pretty cool.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was a fan of a lot of the makeups this week, perhaps because this theme is right up my ally. Definitely the strongest showcase so far though it's not saying much. It's nice to have the breakthrough.

Evan's War is my favourite makeup of the season. I'm so glad that the judges didn't rag on him for not being 100% anatomically accurate.
Nora's Famine was good but she could have matched skin tones more.
Scott's Death was a stellar looking mummy.
Meg's Pestilence was good.
Jordan's War's face sucker didn't really make sense conceptually but it was painted well. At least he got to fabricate!

I'm not getting what Ben did with his chest piece? He said it was a full body makeup but it looked like a vest? I'd say he was the worst but Kevon has justifiably been worse overall.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Owl posted:

Agreed, I was certain Ben was going watching the episode... But I'm glad they kept him I've liked his work normally.

I got a bit of a bioware style Sith Lord vibe from Evan's death, which I thought was pretty cool.

Ben really, REALLY lost this challenge but the show continues it's trend of "Pick the person based on their history, not this one challenge."

The losing design this week was honestly pretty awesome. I agree it didn't scream horseman, but compared to that hosed mess Ben put up, it was a masterpiece.

Still, I think Ben has loads more talent and this was the worst misfire he's had by a landslide.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JuniperCake posted:

As it is I think the show is just gonna drop off the face of the earth, if not after this season then maybe after the next. They don't even show repeats on Tuesdays leading up to the new episode anymore like they had done for every previous season. Doesn't look too good.

Ratings dropped by almost a third this season.

Opening with Clown Bison and then mashing people into a bunch of challenges with no time to do anything cool did not help them out this season. Last episode felt like the FIRST proper challenge all season long, really. And they looked awesome, so I don't think it's the artists fault this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011

Mr. Owl posted:

Yeah, it actually reminded me of General Grievous. And Attack on Titan.

I thought the other team's Famine was much worse than Kevon's, though not nearly as bad as Ben's.

• Locked thread