Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

FREESPACE WILLY

This is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I should be able to do two major updates this weekend that'll get us moving right along.

However, consensus hasn't been reached regarding the ship! I know most of you voted for a "living starship" but given the name I'm guessing you guys really wanted some kind of fusion like this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Robo-fusion-baleen-whale monstrosity! Dine on star dust!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Disargeria posted:

I should be able to do two major updates this weekend that'll get us moving right along.

However, consensus hasn't been reached regarding the ship! I know most of you voted for a "living starship" but given the name I'm guessing you guys really wanted some kind of fusion like this.

:allears:

It's ... it's beautiful.

(I'm undecided on a name, though.)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I think most of us will be happy regardless, really. Pick what's good for the narrative.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Ralith posted:

I think most of us will be happy regardless, really. Pick what's good for the narrative.

Seconding this.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

Ralith posted:

Yeah, I was envisioning more a 'human brain trapped in a metal hull' but whatever you think will work for the narrative, Dis.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Freespace Willy

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You make your way as a group back to the locked door to the hangar. You meet up with Aurora who apologizes for being late. Rex walks up to the keypad and punches in a series of numbers. It seems to be fairly long. 9 numbers? Oh, 10. There was a pause for that last one. Nothing happens though.

"I uh, hmm... Must be the wrong one. I don't come here often, hahaha!" He punches in a different code. It's 8 digits long. "Here we go!" The door gives a soft hum and starts to unlock.

Aurora gives you a look. That was pretty suspicious. Churchill has one of his fists clenched.

The door slowly opens into a large hangar. The hangar is full of cargo containers and boxes. There are no people here. There's a few cranes looming at different angles, and... oh, right, there's a single starship in the center.

"I know it doesn't look like much but I'm sure you'll find it to be quite capable in the right hands!" Rex declares. His mood is much improved over earlier.

"Are those cannons on the side?" Churchill's eyes light up.

"Of course! We outfitted her with two rotating laser turrets on the side and a single forward facing laser cannon. It probably won't scare anyone but we left a majority of the hull intact for upgrades. We wanted it to be flexible."

"I think it looks more like a 'he'." Churchill mumbles.

"What about the FTL drive? It seems to be a little on the small side for a self sufficient ship." ask Aurora. "What's a charge time for a jump to Alpha Centauri?"

"Ah well, uh, we haven't actually run the tests. It should be capable, but this ship can't jump anywhere right now."

"What? It sounds like a piece of junk!" Churchill glowers. He's visibly agitated!

Aurora starts typing something on her wrist comm furiously.

"Well you see... This ship..." Rex reaches for his belt. "Isn't going anywhere." He pulls out a stun gun. "Hands up."

You missed the footsteps coming from the door. Guards are on their way! There looks to be three of them and they've got rifles on them, but the hangar is very large and it will take them a minute to get to you at the center with the ship.

1. What do you do?
a. Surrender! They probably won't kill you if they haven't already.
b. Fight! You don't have weapons, but Churchill could probably take Rex in a fight and get you the stun gun.
c. Run! There's a large hanger and you could use the space and cargo boxes to outrange and hide from their weapons. You know the taxi is still waiting on the landing bay for you.
d. Run! You could try to board the ship.
e. Fight and Run! Use your friends as a distraction and make a break for it!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D. Throw Eggbot at Rex and cheese it to the ship. Spool up those Laser Turrets!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B Kick him in the balls!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Outrail posted:

Eggbot doesn't know a lot of things outside of his area of expertise, breakfast food, but it was registered in his circuits that you loved him. Entry deleted.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Disargeria posted:

Eggbot doesn't know a lot of things outside of his area of expertise, breakfast food, but it was registered in his circuits that you loved him. Entry deleted.

D. Have Eggbot eject a stream of uncooked artificial egg product at Rex's face and cheese it to the ship. Spool up those Laser Turrets!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Outrail posted:

No! Not Eggbot!

Outrail posted:

D. Have Eggbot eject a stream of uncooked artificial egg product at Rex's face and cheese it to the ship. Spool up those Laser Turrets!
Okay, this works. I vote for this.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Surely though Eggbot has no egg substance to shoot, being disengaged from the food substance supply as he is.

Unless he has some sort of backup food supply reserve, for emergency eggs?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

He has a very small amount on hand in case of outages or emergencies. Enough to make a single simple meal.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

I vote Plan Eggstraction

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Can't steal a ship without spewing a few eggs - D

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Disargeria posted:

He has a very small amount on hand in case of outages or emergencies. Enough to make a single simple meal.

Sounds like a plan then! Plan Eggstraction!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

"Get to the ship!!"

You watch as Churchill NAILS Rex right in the face with his fist.

CRACK!

You don't know if he broke the sound barrier or broke Rex's nose, but it was very satisfying to hear. He must've been ready to land that punch!

Aurora has already run to the door and it is already slowly opening. Churchill tosses the stun gun to you and you catch it in your hands. You've seen these around before, police tend to use them so you know they've got a decent range but surely not enough to outrange the rifles.

"Stop right there!" Yells the leader of the trio, still running towards you. They've got their weapons in hand but aren't firing.

Aurora yells that she has the door open and everyone makes a retreat to the doorway.

"Eggbot, fire something at them!"

Eggbot gives a sharp beep as confirmation and takes a few seconds before launching what looks like a hard boiled egg towards the incoming guards. It flies through the air but misses it's mark. The leftmost guard flinches but resumes running when he notices the whiff.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Three blasts strike near the door, one of them extremely close to your right arm. You can feel the seating heat radiate from where the laser hit the side of the ship's hull. Once inside, you check everyone's status. Churchill, Aurora, self... Wait, where's Eggbot? Oh, he's already making towards the nearest food port.

The door is locked behind you and you take a look around. The ship is not running, but it looks like emergency systems are working, at least. Life support is on as well as a persistent dark red lighting throughout the ship. It looks like you'll need to start it up, but how? Looking around, literally nothing is labeled. You run up to the bridge and find a large array of controls and switches, but again, nothing is labeled.

"What is this nonsense?! What do we need to do guys?" A clearly frustrated Churchill asks.

"I don't know but I locked the door pretty good. They shouldn't be able to get in for a while." Says Aurora.

You hear movement of heavy machinery outside.

"There's no response from the computer. I can't interact with it at all! Maybe it's been unplugged? This ship is dead in the water without a system controlling it."

You see a door on the side of the bridge. Upon opening it, you see a small room with a large machine in the center. It looks like a cryo chamber. These are used for long space trips without jumps. If for some reason a ship can't jump, it can sail to its destination with a low power mode and the crew can go into a deep cryo sleep.

The whole ship shakes as one of the cranes slams into the hull.

"What are they doing?! This is insane!" Cries Churchill. "They'll break this ship apart!"

They wouldn't do that, would they? Just to get a couple of kids out? This doesn't look good. You look out the main view windows of the bridge and see that one of the cranes is impalled into the side of the ship. They must be trying to anchor the ship down so it can't escape!

"Okay guys, we need to-"

ZAAAAAAPPPPPPP!

You've never been hit by a huge surge of electricity, so you're not sure what that feels like. If you had to guess, though, you'd guess that this must be what it feels like. If you could feel anything at this point, it would be pure screaming pain from your entire body. Your wrist computer blares that your vital signs are no longer within normal parameters.

You see Churchill curled into a ball, holding his head.

Aurora is sprawled on the floor, moaning weakly.

ZAAAAAAAAAAP!

The world goes dark. You know only pain. Your eye twitches just enough to see Aurora slam her arm down. You don't hear or feel anything.

Everything goes dark.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We should wake up. Or egg bot should wake us up.

Cranberry sauce
Jul 21, 2015

Cranberry the Conqueror
This is a bad time to take a nap.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We need to upgrade eggbot with targeting systems and a wider array of biological missiles.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Well this is pretty weird. Heavily damaging a very expensive ship like that?

At least we'll have some eggs when we wake up!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Outrail posted:

We should wake up. Or egg bot should wake us up.

Wake up Enki—wait I have forgotten our name. Kevin, right? Something like that.

We should wake up, whether we're Kevin or ... something else when we do.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You wake to find yourself in a brightly lit cell with Aurora and Churchill. Churchill is on the floor but Aurora is sitting up against the wall. A set of bars makes for one of the walls to the cell, with a door built into it. Your electronic devices have all been confiscated and there's no sign of Eggbot.

"I destroyed the wrist comms. They won't be able to identify us, at least for a while. But unless muscles here" She points to Churchill. "can crush through these bars, I don't think we're going anywhere."

"Muscles" starts to wake up.

"Ugh this sucks man. I just... I just wanna go home. poo poo like this doesn't happen at home." Churchill groans.

You call out to see if anyone's here with you. Aurora says she hasn't seen or heard any guards.

"Oh um, Hello! Who are you?" a voice pipes up from down the hall.

"We were caught snooping around I guess and they took us prisoner. There's three of us here." You reply. "How about you?"

"You can call me Howell. I pissed off the wrong person and now I'm here. Probably forever." You can hear the sadness from here. He explains that he was part of an engineering team in charge of a special starship project. He pissed off a guy named... Rex.

"Rex? I got a good hit on him. I don't think he'll be bothering anyone for a while." Churchill manages a smirk.

"You met him? Were you... snooping around Dock 17? That's the ship I was working on."

"We couldn't get it to work, though. And none of the equipment is even labeled!"

"Yes yes, it's designed like that. I can tell you all about it... if you help me escape!"

"Alright, it's a deal. You don't have an escape plan, do you?" Aurora chimes in.

"No, you don't have any more friends, do YOU?"

"We've got a taxi driver waiting on us and... Well we've got an Eggbot somewhere."

You start to hear a faint, arrhythmic tapping.

"An Eggbot you say? The breakfast bot of champions? I always had a fondness for them..."

The tapping grows louder until it finally stops. A long time passes but nothing happens. Any attempts at conversation are shushed by the stranger. Churchill grows impatient, as does Aurora. You still don't notice any guards.

Finally, you hear the soft hum off Eggbot coming down the hall. That tapping must have signaled it to come! Eggbot glides into view and immediately pushes a fresh omelette through the cell bars. Aurora gently lifts Eggbot and turns him around to expose his control panel and adeptly types in a series of commands to have it overload the cell door controls with a flood of breakfast recipes. Eggbot chirps once and head downs the hall. After a while, everyone grows impatient again.

"What's taking so long?" "Maybe it doesn't know enough recipes to overload anything?" "Why did we think this would work?"

"That's it, I'm done with this nonsense! GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Churchill leans forward and takes a running charge at the cell door. The door creaks and groans and SNAPS FREE as Churchill and the door crash into the hallway with a heavy thud. Your jaw drops, and Aurora is equally speechless. "Let's move! That racket surely alerted someone!"

You run down the hall towards Eggbot. You find a small security room with Eggbot dutifully uploading recipes to a terminal. Aurora disconnects him and gets to work on the doors. You find all of your confiscated devices on the table but, true to Aurora's word, none of them seem to be working. Aurora's wrist comm is smashed. You hear a click and see that the cell doors have opened, so you head down the hall to locate Howell. You find him a few cells down from yours.

He's an older man, in his 50s, with a long unkempt beard. He's probably been here for a while, it seems. He's very excited to see you, but your group quickly works its way down the hall.

Luckily, the end of the hall rejoins the rest of the complex. You still haven't seen anyone, but you can hear people moving around down one of the main hallways. Howell shows you a few back hallways to get to a service elevator, but you can see it's guarded by two security staff.

"We don't have time for this!" Churchill yells as he rounds the corner and charges the guards! The guards are caught off guard and he tackles one of them before he can react. The second guard has a moment to recover and draws his stun gun and fires. Churchill shouts in pain and is immobilized on top of the other guard, who seems to be good and knocked out.

"I'm sorry little guy, but we need your help again." Aurora grabs Eggbot and launches him at the second guard. She threw short though, and Eggbot bounces along the floor and hits his leg. You use this surprise to run at the second guard and try to disarm him. You're joined by Howell and the two of you managed to pull the gun out of his hands and use it to knock him out.

Churchill moans about getting shocked too many times today, but you help him up and into the elevator. Howell is short on breath, but uses the elevator trip to try to explain what to do with the ship.

"It's not really a ship, it's a... modified being. It's being developed as a weapon for someone. Don't worry about the details. We've been working on it for years to incorporate... additional technology into the body. The problem with hijacking it is... it doesn't have a mind. We forcibly removed its consciousness and it can't work without one. The plan was always to have a soldier control the ship manually, so we'll need one of you to... you know, BE the ship."

You look at Howell like he's insane. He might as well be speaking nonsense.

"I'm sorry sir, but I think you're mad. Ships aren't alive. How is that even possible? Or even better, why even bother with all of that? A competent AI is still the most effective pilot of any ship. Is it even space worthy?" Aurora objects. She's visibly upset by this.

"It's.... it's complicated, okay? Don't sweat the details. A living starship has unique advantages that normal ships can't offer. Pilots are always outclassed by AI because even at their best, they just give commands to the ship. They can't CONTROL it like an AI can. They can't read data like an AI can, they can only interpret it." Howell turns to you. "Esker, if you want to get out of here and save your friends, you'll listen to what I have to say. When we get on that ship, you need to get to the cryo chamber on the bridge. It's the only way we're getting out of here alive.

"The ship was DAMAGED, Howell. They breached the hull with a crane. A crane! Like it's made of paper! Even if we can seal the breach, we'll be done in by the first gust of space wind we encounter!" Aurora challenges.

Howell looks down solemnly. "The ship isn't activated so its hull is much more... malleable. We built that as a... feature to make modifications to the hull much easier. As soon as it wakes up, it'll fix itself and reinforce its hull to be as hard as any military starship. I can guarantee it."

The elevator beeps. You've arrived at the same level as Dock 17.

"We can take this service tunnel to the dock and hopefully avoid any guards. Follow me." says Howell as he opens up a small panel in the hallway. He leads you through a winding tunnel system until you finally arrive at Dock 17. You recognize the exit as the far side of the room from where you entered last time. Surveying the surroundings, you notice four guards standing watch at the entrance to the ship. They're all facing towards the far door. The crane that penetrated the ship has been moved back to its original position. On closer look, you notice that the crane has a pronged tip, like a giant taser.

"Great, how are we going to get past THAT? We can't take out that many guards at once!" Aurora laments.

"Where there's a will, there's a way." You point to the hole left by the crane. "We could sneak in through that without coming into view of the guards. We'll just have to be very quiet."

Thankfully, all of your group is fit enough to be able to climb the side of the ship. You each carefully scale the side away from the guards, making as little noise as possible. Eggbot cannot climb and waits at the bottom. You carefully climb over to the side with the hole. You can look down and see the guards below you, so you silently climb down the hull to the breach. You slip in and

THUD

You misjudged the angle. You landed on your ankle and fell to your knee. Your ankle screams in pain as the adrenaline shoots through your veins. The guards shout in alert! They heard it.

"Eggbot! We need a distraction!" yells Aurora. Eggbot rolls forward with impressive speed towards the group of guards. Aurora and Howell use the two stun guns they grabbed to lay down some covering fire as the guards run to the doorway to the ship. Eggbot empties his oil storage near the guards and ignites the puddle of oil, creating a large flame near doorway, preventing the guards from getting to it! The guards return fire at your friends, but they stay safe on their high ground. The guards retreat to nearby boxes and call for backup!

You limp as fast as you can to the bridge. You can see the door where the cryo chamber is located. The only way to save your friends. You take a deep breath to calm yourself and step inside the coffin-like machine. The world goes dark and your senses fade. You feel your body losing you, and you losing your body.

Pain shoots through your body!

It's... it's right there. You know exactly what the pain is. It's that wound in your side. That shouldn't be there. No, not at all. You can fix that. You just need to..- yes, yes now it will be okay. You will be fine!

You open your eyes and immediately close them. There's... there's too many things to see out there. You can see so many things! You can see everything around you. Lots of boxes. Lots of... colors. Heat. You can see heat. You can see things you can't quite describe. And the noise! There's so much noise happening around you, a lot of which is happening right next to you.

Your friends! They're in trouble! They're standing on you as the guards lay down fire to keep their heads down. You know that more guards are coming. You can hear their comms channel. 5. 10. 15. Each voice has a unique signature.

You need to help your friends!

What do you do?
a. Fire your side laser turret at the guards. This will very probably kill them.
b. Fire your side laser turret near the guards. Cause some damage and buy your friends time to board the ship.
c. Fire main cannon at the hangar door. This may destroy the door and open a vacuum into space and kill... everyone. Well, except for you.
d. Control a crane. You could knock a lot of crates and boxes over, trapping or crushing the guards.
e. Infiltrate the comms channel. Call off reinforcements.
f. Lift off. Catch the guards by surprise! Catch everyone by surprise!
g. Send instruction to Eggbot. You can communicate with him directly.
h. Control Eggbot. And do what?
i. Ignite thrusters. Hopefully the sound will disorientate the guards and not your friends.

You don't have a way to communicate with your friends right now. None of their comms devices are working.

quote:

It was a very strange day today, Dad.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We can manipulate the hull?

In order:
Open the hull and suck in our friends. Control Eggbot into the ship. Wildly spray turret fire at everything and everything. Engage engine. Fire main cannon at bay doors. GTFO.

Bite off Rex 'Ahab' Jones' leg on the way out

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Transmit the song of our people over all comm channels at high volume

Ralith fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 26, 2015

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Ralith posted:

Transmit the song of our people over all comm channels at high volume

Yes, but give them the space version.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Short-term TODO list, in rough priority order:
Get Eggbot inside
Get friends inside
Get engineer dude inside
Get Aurora to hack the doors open slowly, let the guards pick up on what's happening and get to safety

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Disargeria posted:

"An Eggbot you say? The breakfast bot of champions? I always had a fondness for them..."
This guy is pretty alright if he appreciates Eggbot.

Disargeria posted:

You run down the hall towards Eggbot. You find a small security room with Eggbot dutifully uploading recipes to a terminal. Aurora disconnects him and gets to work on the doors.
:3: Eggbot is so dutiful

Disargeria posted:

"Eggbot! We need a distraction!" yells Aurora. Eggbot rolls forward with impressive speed towards the group of guards. Aurora and Howell use the two stun guns they grabbed to lay down some covering fire as the guards run to the doorway to the ship. Eggbot empties his oil storage near the guards and ignites the puddle of oil, creating a large flame near doorway, preventing the guards from getting to it!

Good to know his morality chip and/or the first law of robotics are still working and he isn't at the point in his life where he'll set people on fire based on our a vaguely worded request from our friend.

Voting to open an impromptu entryway into the ship for our friends (letting them drop down) if that's possible. Otherwise, start blasting near guards to scare the crap out of them and blasting whale song through all the comms at max volume (probably deafening the guards and freaking the hell out of command). Eggbot's probably making his way onto the ship to restock ingredients, so help him out.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

The Eggbot AI is pretty impressive, it understands a remarkable number of commands, even having little to nothing to do with breakfast and/or eggs.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
B

Theglavwen posted:

The Eggbot AI is pretty impressive, it understands a remarkable number of commands, even having little to nothing to do with breakfast and/or eggs.

It suggests to me Aurora has had some time with it's brains.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

In the interest of honesty, I'd like to mention that I'm actually very tempted by C.

It would solve so many problems so quickly.

Do we even need little people any more?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

ElrondHubbard posted:

Voting to open an impromptu entryway into the ship for our friends (letting them drop down) if that's possible. Otherwise, start blasting near guards to scare the crap out of them and blasting whale song through all the comms at max volume (probably deafening the guards and freaking the hell out of command). Eggbot's probably making his way onto the ship to restock ingredients, so help him out.

Yep, this!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Vavrek posted:

In the interest of honesty, I'd like to mention that I'm actually very tempted by C.

It would solve so many problems so quickly.

Do we even need little people any more?
We want to interrogate the engineer, at least. The rest might come in handy. We can always space them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Ralith posted:

We want to interrogate the engineer, at least. The rest might come in handy. We can always space them.

I wonder what we might have stored in the ship's databanks.

If we can without being distracted from the situation, I'd like to remember a bit about ourselves.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D

Eggbot best bot

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

this is my vote

I like how in every CYOA we get some sort of adorable pet. Enkindel has Snarls, Ohone has Husbando and Megabite, The Prosper one that died had that skull. Now we have Eggbot. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Lazaruise posted:

this is my vote

I like how in every CYOA we get some sort of adorable pet. Enkindel has Snarls, Ohone has Husbando and Megabite, The Prosper one that died had that skull. Now we have Eggbot. :kimchi:

Don't forget Goblii and his fireflies!

• Locked thread