Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

spog posted:

I'm kind of surprised how few there are out there.

Given that there's a 3 billion people on the internet, how come the only decent English-language one is one that was popularised on 911 jokes and pants-making GBS threads?

Yeah, it's interesting when compared with, say, Chinese. My Chinese coworker was showing me this huge forum (well, more of a BBS) that is apparently used by a massive number of people (because China) and sounds sort of like Reddit but with a much more balanced demographic profile and without the weird "internet/geek culture" baggage. From what he told me it sounds like everyone from teenagers to housewives frequent the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I just want to say I love Mefi.

Hmm---Reddit is all over the place even in my niche places I get weird comments from people who just have issues. The lack of moderation really ruins my exp even in the most calm subreddicts.

I got into SA via LPs and found myself lurking after I joined since there's just so many topics. I find it active enough as I see daily posts from my bookmarks.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Kanine posted:

Facepunch has pretty large swaths of people who are still talking about gamer gate. Also they had an actual "men's rights activism" thread last time I was there.

I've been on FP since 2007 and it's pretty terrible for the most part. TF2 section is okay and active but everywhere else those people flip their poo poo over everything. They have a rating system, where you can rate posts bashed on content. The agree button is pretty neat, but there's also a dumb rating for passive aggressive lurkers.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm constantly looking for new online communities that fill the void that SA doesn't fill for me, but when I find one it's always 10 years too late. I like the feeling of an online community, and sure on SA I see the same posters in different sub-forums, but what I am looking for just isn't there anymore. Every time I see a thread on a topic, I feel obligated to not only read the OP, but also read every post in the thread, until I start posting. It's a bit like joining academia.
I want some hefty medium between 4chan's slower boards, and the SA paywall. Since it will never happen I just post here. The anonymity of 4chan let's people really post what they feel which is positive, but I don't want to read a thread full of racial slurs, and rape jokes, or open one up on accident when I am at work. I feel like I can only follow two or three ongoing discussions on SA at a time, when I start posting somewhere else one of the discussions has to take a back seat. With that said, what I am looking for doesn't exist, so SA it is until all you other idiots leave.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

lemonslol posted:

The anonymity of 4chan let's people really post what they feel which is positive

No. I find that the best communities are well-moderated places otherwise we get too much garbage everywhere see: Reddit and yeah.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

lemonslol posted:

I'm constantly looking for new online communities that fill the void that SA doesn't fill for me, but when I find one it's always 10 years too late. I like the feeling of an online community, and sure on SA I see the same posters in different sub-forums, but what I am looking for just isn't there anymore. Every time I see a thread on a topic, I feel obligated to not only read the OP, but also read every post in the thread, until I start posting. It's a bit like joining academia.
I want some hefty medium between 4chan's slower boards, and the SA paywall. Since it will never happen I just post here. The anonymity of 4chan let's people really post what they feel which is positive, but I don't want to read a thread full of racial slurs, and rape jokes, or open one up on accident when I am at work. I feel like I can only follow two or three ongoing discussions on SA at a time, when I start posting somewhere else one of the discussions has to take a back seat. With that said, what I am looking for doesn't exist, so SA it is until all you other idiots leave.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
The Stormfront forums are going strong, OP.

• Locked thread