Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Tozawa is awesome but WWE would probably take away all the stuff that makes him fun. I'm also under the impression that KENTA was a way bigger star at his peak than Tozawa is now, although someone with a better knowledge of the relative standings of mid-00s NOAH vs. current DG could correct me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

Tozawa is awesome but WWE would probably take away all the stuff that makes him fun. I'm also under the impression that KENTA was a way bigger star at his peak than Tozawa is now, although someone with a better knowledge of the relative standings of mid-00s NOAH vs. current DG could correct me.

Triple H is a big fan of "The Dragon's Gate".

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Grozz Nuy posted:

Dragon Gate's contract schedule had everyone's contract expire after Kobe World (7/20) and they don't have a show until (8/1) so it's conceivable that this could have been a west coast tryout/precursor for Akira Tozawa.

Tozawa is the most over person in Dragon Gate and is realistically slotted as their #3-#4 behind Yoshino, Hulk and YAMATO. He's their "lightweight" champion, but it's not a big distinction because the only ones who can't really be a Brave Gate Challenger are the mystical and glorious Don Fujii, Shingo, T-Hawk, Shimizu and Cyber Kong.

KENTA was the overall ace of NOAH by the end of his tenure but was mostly the lynchpin of their Junior Division through 2011. Popularity-wise, he was behind Misawa, Kobashi, Akiyama and whenever they brought in someone like Kensuke Sasaki and was the same level as Marifuji.

Company status wise, Dragon Gate is Japan's #2 by pure attrition of AJPW and NOAH. Wrestling fans in Japan would know who CIMA and Dragon Gate is his company is in the same way that Great Sasuke is Michinoku Pro. Tozawa would be considered "that guy that Ricochet had on his t-shirt when he returned to New Japan." NOAH would have been the top company in Japan in the mid-00s, but was about have it's collapse by 2007-08. KENTA's star power is much higher than Tozawa.

Tozawa would have to get rid of all of his crowd pandering to fit into the wwe style. He's also tiny, so it'd be someone looking like Simon Gotch throwing around people. Which I think would be awesome but we probably know how WWE would treat that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WWE walked away from talks of having a deal with WWN/Gabe apparently.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dont need the promotion if you take all the talent?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

Gabe can't keep his mouth shut

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

rovert posted:

What happened?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

they thought it was the Gabe who runs Valve/Steam. Turns out Vince is a huge PC gamer

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It was meant to be the first toe in the water on the road to acquiring VGCW

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What happened?

They are confident they (William Regal) can evaluate talent on their own.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cavauro posted:

It was meant to be the first toe in the water on the road to acquiring VGCW

This fell through once Vince realised that Gary Oak is a millennial.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rovert posted:

They are confident they (William Regal) can evaluate talent on their own.

Hahahahaha so someone at one point was even remotely considering that Gabe loving Sapolsky might be better at that than Regal?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahahahaha so someone at one point was even remotely considering that Gabe loving Sapolsky might be better at that than Regal?

Not exactly THAT but Gabe is the guy on the WWE DVDs when they cover indie guys. Gabe gets the credit for the 00s indie boom.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What's Gabe done in the last 10 years? Legitimate question, I know he brought over Dragon Gate talent during Mercury Rising which had a ton of buzz to it, but I feel like Tozawa became a much bigger star because of PWG and Gargano became much better known because of CHIKARA.

Also thought that Rovert told us that the deal with Gabe had nothing to do with talent/wrestlers

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

he scowled at me at king of trios, that's something

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Flameingblack posted:

What's Gabe done in the last 10 years? Legitimate question, I know he brought over Dragon Gate talent during Mercury Rising which had a ton of buzz to it, but I feel like Tozawa became a much bigger star because of PWG and Gargano became much better known because of CHIKARA.

Also thought that Rovert told us that the deal with Gabe had nothing to do with talent/wrestlers

he booked ROH through 08, so even though he was tiresome at the end, that's worth mentioning. And that included the initial Dragon Gate intro during the ROH WM 2006 weekend, though you can argue that he basically just brought them over and turned them loose. DGUSA was great until the endless Gargano-reign/running out of gaijin talent that DG office was interested. I got to be honest, I dropped out of DGUSA/Evolve when most of the DG talent stopped showing up. I remember he said a year ago on a Figure Four Daily that he was curtailing the craziness of Evolve shows, but I couldn't tell if that was the case or not.

Completely agree about Tozawa but Gargano really grew with DGUSA much more than he did with Chikara. Ronin could have been a real cool thing in DGUSA/DG if it weren't for the Earthquake/Tsunami hitting during their tour over there and if CIMA got over the fact that Chuckie T and Gargano didn't do enough flips for his liking.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I watched a Gargano match through a Gabe promotion last year, I think it was against Shingo. It drug on forever and ever, even if it was good. Just exhausting. I know Gargano's a great wrestler but the Gabe-style matches are just too much sometimes.

Was Gabe also the reason for Tyler Black's long title reign or was that Cornette?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Why did DGUSA shut down? I never followed them all that closely so to me they just vanished one day

Flameingblack posted:

Was Gabe also the reason for Tyler Black's long title reign or was that Cornette?

That was Cornette/Pearce I think, Gabe was criticised for taking too long to pull the trigger on Tyler and letting him cool off

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 28, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Why did DGUSA shut down? I never followed them all that closely so to me they just vanished one day

A couple of things led to the hiatus/shutting down of DGUSA

1) Dragon Gate, as a company, tours more than any other promotion in Japan, upwards of 200-215 shows a year so it was hard scheduling DG talent.

2) The point person between DG and Gabe left DG and the person in their place wasn't so interested in DGUSA. The later DGUSA guys brought over (Scott Reed, Ronin, Larry Dallas (though he essentially paid his own way) and AR Fox) didn't connect with DG fans and weren't huge hits with the DG decision makers (President Okamura, CIMA, Genki Horiguchi, Super Shisa) as Ricochet and Uhaa were. Swann stuck around for a while but was mostly the job guy in whatever unit he was in. Gargano, Taylor and Fox were busts.

3) Dragon Gate reestablished relations with Mexico through DTU/IWRG. It's why the Millennials went to Mexico rather than USA like Tozawa. Also why Flamita was over.

4) Gabe was really lax on getting Visas/dealing with DG so DG just moved on. They've got enough things on their plate.

I personally have no scoops, but I doubt it'll ever come back. DG has a gaijin problem but I don't think they'll answer it by restarting DGUSA. I figure sometime Gabe will merge the titles and it'll officially close the doors.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
all Gabe-related content will continue to be run off of dgusa.tv, however

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

all Gabe-related content will continue to be run off of dgusa.tv, however

Only upcoming events! Their results page stopped updating about 20 shows ago

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Dusty taught his students well.

https://twitter.com/wwebalor/status/626119452443209728/photo/1

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:3:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

A couple of things led to the hiatus/shutting down of DGUSA

1) Dragon Gate, as a company, tours more than any other promotion in Japan, upwards of 200-215 shows a year so it was hard scheduling DG talent.

2) The point person between DG and Gabe left DG and the person in their place wasn't so interested in DGUSA. The later DGUSA guys brought over (Scott Reed, Ronin, Larry Dallas (though he essentially paid his own way) and AR Fox) didn't connect with DG fans and weren't huge hits with the DG decision makers (President Okamura, CIMA, Genki Horiguchi, Super Shisa) as Ricochet and Uhaa were. Swann stuck around for a while but was mostly the job guy in whatever unit he was in. Gargano, Taylor and Fox were busts.

3) Dragon Gate reestablished relations with Mexico through DTU/IWRG. It's why the Millennials went to Mexico rather than USA like Tozawa. Also why Flamita was over.

4) Gabe was really lax on getting Visas/dealing with DG so DG just moved on. They've got enough things on their plate.

I personally have no scoops, but I doubt it'll ever come back. DG has a gaijin problem but I don't think they'll answer it by restarting DGUSA. I figure sometime Gabe will merge the titles and it'll officially close the doors.

im just waiting for him to merge the fip/evolve/dgusa titles into a wwn triple crown

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Haha Enzo's loving pants

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
What is Jason looking at?

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Why are Enzo and Cass jobbing in fabulous pants to nobodies?

Why Baron Corbin?

Why.

:negative:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah but Gable owns though

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I want to see Zach sabre Jr vs Chad Gable

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
I know it's been said before but jesus christ Dana Brooke is obnoxious

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh my god that Bull video, am now totally behind this

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dana Brooke is the worst talker

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Joe said the c-word :ohdear:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The jobber Owens is fighting comes straight from some random indy fed from like 2003

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Corey makes any commentary team great.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The_Rob posted:

Dana Brooke is the worst talker

sike

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
More than anything else I love how spicy the commentary gets with NXT.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm all in on Blake's hair.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Bliss is p good at heeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Chivalry!

Chivalry!

• Locked thread