Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I be pissed at the dealerships?
Yes, they behaved atypically and badly
Yes, typical behavior but you can't do anything about it, just fume and post impotently on the internet
No, just wait your turn and maybe you won't have to walk home
No, you are an entitled prick, gently caress you
View Results

• Locked thread
ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Every year my wife and I do a summer road trip from Colorado to Maine and back to visit family. Over the last 11 years we've had three kids and they're great travelers, we pack the car full of stuff and drive for three days, stopping to visit cousins and other relatives along the route. This year is year three for our 2013 CRV which has performed perfectly over 33,000 miles of travel. Yesterday we pulled off the Mass Pike at around 2pm to visit a friend and the car decided to poo poo the bed, dumped into limp mode and we rolled at like 3mph off of the highway and into a parking lot in Holyoke Mass, engine light on, no error codes, no increase in engine heat. I assumed that a dealer could hook it up to a computer and tell us if we're hosed or not. Until we started calling dealerships and three dealerships blew us off completely. We described the car, told them that we were 200 miles from our starting point and 1800 from the end of the trip and were told by all three; "make an appointment, we can see you in a few days if one's available". We finally found a dealership in CT 12 miles down the road that could check it out the next day (today). Also AAA is the greatest thing ever. So Motel 6, Chipottle and two hours in Barnes and Nobel waiting for a call from the mechanic this morning. Luckily B&N has coffee and delicious snacks!

So here's my question; is dealerships/mechanics blowing off travelers typical these days? I've done many thousands of miles motorcycle touring and had four or five serious breakdowns on the road over about 20 years and EVERY time I rolled into a motorcycle dealership (or been hauled in) with a problem I've gotten pretty quick evaluation and assessment. Actual repairs take as long as they take but they at least look the bike over and tell me how hosed I am. I ended up at a motel for a couple of nights once when the bikes electrics lit on fire, no problem, what can you do right? I don't think that it's outrageous to ask for an evaluation when your car is inoperative and your family is hundreds of miles from home. So is it realistic for me to be loving furious about these dealerships or is this just how travel in the US is these days? Sure, we chose to drive across the country but we aren't asking for anything for free here, just some courtesy from the company dealerships that support the car we bought. Being told essentially "gently caress you, get in line" by three dealerships feels rude to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
just take it to a real god drat shop jesus man, calling dealers around you *lol*. its a honda not a Ferrari

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dealers are for warranty work, absolutely nothing else, thats the reality check here

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I hope you crash n die, bitch

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Honestly, just get a rental for long trips

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

just take it to a real god drat shop jesus man, calling dealers around you *lol*. its a honda not a Ferrari
This.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Teach your kids about manifest destiny and force them to walk to colorado and back. Also you live in Maine what the whitest loving state in the union, everyone I have ever met from Maine is whiny idealistic sheltered idiot. Don't talk to me about racism or classism or whatever.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

repent your lovely life, sacrifice children to satan, praise satan, purchase rad motorcycle with sin

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You're wondering why a CAR DEALER in MASSACHUSETTS would give you attitude?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
lol op only one voted for himself in the poll :(

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Ive never seen a honda but ill take your word for it OP

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
source your quotes op

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dumb idiot knows nothing about cars & dealerships and gets ripped off constantly, now and forever

news at 11

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually more surprised when car dealerships aren't rude to me.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go to literally any car shop with the normal set of diagnostic computers

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol at this nigga too good for a pep boys

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can't wait for you to get outed by that Ashley Madison hack op

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My special CRV only needs the finest quality care and attention. The honda logo of quality and luxury must be emblazoned on their hand pressed uniforms with gold embossed stitching, and a smiling servant girl must hand me a caramel macchiato in the waiting room. Anything less is not worth my time

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a new dad but I'd also be really pissed if the dealership knew I had a baby in the car and wouldn't give me a bit of preferential treatment against some guy who lives 3 miles away and needs a wheel alignment.

You pleaded with them and explained that you had kids with you? If so, yeah I'd be really pissed. I'd be pissed more at humanity than Honda, Inc. though.

Did you not call a local mechanic instead because your car is still under warranty or something?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
break down with a two year old honda jesus loving christ

shoulda bought a 1995 toyota camry with 150,000 miles on it lol

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Honda is 3 years/30,000 miles but if it isn't, OP should have had the car towed to the dealership no matter what and demanded that they fix it under warranty as soon as possible.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

dealers are for warranty work, absolutely nothing else, thats the reality check here

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
btw op mechanics have "computers" too

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Your wife doesn't love you anymore op, there

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
most dealerships hire people right out of school and underpay them, so of course they loving hate you.

Another problem is that all independent mechanics tend to be lying scam artists, so good luck finding one you can trust when you are far away from home.

and don't go to franchise repair places either, they have insane sales quotas to meet and are under extreme pressure from their bosses to hit some arbitrary average ticket price. They are going to lie and say that your repair is much more complicated than it is.

Basically, if your car breaks down and you can't fix it yourself you should end your own life.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
learn to fix your car

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

problem spotted

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
op what is wrong with teh car

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

revmoo posted:

You're wondering why a CAR DEALER in MASSACHUSETTS would give you attitude?

close enough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Reality check? Yes, you need one pretty badly, real people don't take their cars into dealerships unless it's under warranty or a recall.

Solving problems in the most expensive and least efficient way possible is a good life lesson for the kids. They'll make great gov't employees.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
poors itt

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

City of Tampa posted:

most dealerships hire people right out of school and underpay them, so of course they loving hate you.

Another problem is that all independent mechanics tend to be lying scam artists, so good luck finding one you can trust when you are far away from home.

and don't go to franchise repair places either, they have insane sales quotas to meet and are under extreme pressure from their bosses to hit some arbitrary average ticket price. They are going to lie and say that your repair is much more complicated than it is.

Basically, if your car breaks down and you can't fix it yourself you should end your own life.

well poo poo

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
My car broke down in Sheridan, Wyoming during a cross country move, and had to get my fuel pump replaced at a Firestone. They were extremely friendly and helpful, but that makes sense since I was driving a Saab in the middle of freaking nowhere so they could charge me whatever huge number of dollars they wanted.

So, OP, sounds like the dealerships you went to are run by idiots.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm a new dad but I'd also be really pissed if the dealership knew I had a baby in the car and wouldn't give me a bit of preferential treatment against some guy who lives 3 miles away and needs a wheel alignment.

i hope you and your family burns alive hth

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Chinatown posted:

i hope you and your family burns alive hth

tough but fair

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OP consider offering your wife to the dealership

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mad Monk posted:

Reality check? Yes, you need one pretty badly, real people don't take their cars into dealerships unless it's under warranty or a recall.

Honda's warranty is 3 yrs 36,000mi for everything but 5yrs 50,000 miles for the engine / transmission / etc. He could still be in warranty.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Bellmaker posted:

problem spotted

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Chemmy posted:

Honda's warranty is 3 yrs 36,000mi for everything but 5yrs 50,000 miles for the engine / transmission / etc. He could still be in warranty.

almost certainly, but given the context of the OP .........

• Locked thread