Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

edit: Deadline is SATURDAY 11:59pm EST
(e2: sunday->saturday)
---
Exactly two years have passed since the Treaty of Thronehold was signed, signaling the end of the Last War, a devastating succession conflict that plunged the continent of Khorvaire into over a century of brutal warfare, resulting in the splintering of the kingdom of Galifar into 13 nations and in the destructive transformation of the land of Cyre into the wild, magic-scarred Mournland. Today is not only a day of remembrance, but also a celebration of the relatively new (and tenuous) peace that the Treaty brought to the land of Khorvaire.

You are gathered at the fairgrounds nestled against the woodlands just outside of Bluevine, a small village in the nation of Aundair. Aundair is a largely agrarian nation run by a central government led by Queen Aurala on the large scale while powerful noble houses rule individual tracts of land. Aundair boasts the claim of both being one of the original Five Nations and being the prominent seat of knowledge on the continent. Set on the roadway between Fairhaven, the nation’s capital and home of the renowned University of Wynarn and Arcanix, the headquarters of the famed Arcane Congress, Bluevine is an idyllic farming community, and one which saw very little combat in the Last War. The sun is high in the sky as the clock strikes noon and the celebration is in full swing. The mood is that of pure jubilation as militiamen march in formation as trumpets blare and drums strike hard the beats of the traditional March of the Two Towers. Bright and colorful flags fly high representing both noble families and military units and the fine aroma of roasted boar wafts through the grounds and bards sing songs of the great triumphs and sacrifices of the Aundairan soldiers who fought in the heroic offenses and tenacious defenses during the War.

So caught up in the revelry were the townsfolk that nobody noticed the horde of undead sprinting in from the treeline until they began cutting down the townsfolk indiscriminately. The militiamen panicked, broke ranks and scattered--some from the trauma of reliving battles past and others from the shock of seeing their first real combat. Some commoners tried to fight back with whatever they had available, while others did whatever they could to hide or flee the approaching band of bloodthirsty skeletons. Only a few people competent in combat managed to find one another and begin to push back against the mob of undead…

---
Welcome to Shattered Sunrise, a 5th edition D&D game in the Eberron Campaign Setting! Chaos is about to descend on the land of Khorvaire a mere two years after the century-long Last War was ended by the Treaty of Thronehold as an attack on an armistice celebration in Aundair (one of the original Five Nations) threatens to spark another war as Queen Aurala has been on a hair trigger diplomatically with other nations already, and has been ensuring her military hasn’t stagnated.

What to expect in this campaign:
I’m aiming for a decent balance between combat and roleplaying in this campaign. You’ll be expected to help unravel at least some of the plot with investigation and, eventually, diplomacy.

Initially we’re starting small, but eventually your decisions will affect entire nations as you seek to root out the entity trying to plunge the continent back into chaos.

There’s going to be pretty strong themes of investigation and of diplomacy involved--this isn’t straight hack and slash. That being said, there’s more than enough combat to let martial characters to shine as well. To that end, you’ll be getting experience from both combat and story.

I’m going to try to avoid railroading any specific decisions WRT plot and am leaving a lot of room for player involvement to alter the greater campaign as a whole. Your goal is to uncover the destabilizing force and to deal with it as you see fit to restore peace to the world. I’m trying to leave a lot of the decisions in this campaign up to you (though I’ll give some guidance if needed, of course).

Gameplay stuff:
* This is gonna be PbP here.
* We'll roll with a party of 4-6 depending on how things shape up in here. Standard signup stuff (background, character sheet, etc) involved, plus say what you're doing at the fair when the attack hits so I can build up the encounter map.
* We are starting at level 1
* Stats are either standard array or point buy
* We’ll be using the “optional Feats rules”, should you want to choose them on level up.
* You can use classes and races from the Eberron update below
* We are using Hero Points (see below) instead of Inspiration
* We’ll use the Cleave rules (see below)

Hero Points:
Each character starts with 5 Hero Points. Each time you gain a level you lose any unspent points and gain (5 + 1/2 character level) points. You can spend your hero point whenever you make an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. You may spend the point after the roll is made but before its results are applied. Spending a hero point allows you to roll 1d6 and add it to the d20, possibly turning a failure into a success. You may only spend 1 hero point per roll. In addition, whenever a character fails a death saving throw, you may spend one hero point to turn the failure into a success.

Cleave:
When a melee attack reduces an undamaged creature to 0 hit points, any excess damage from that attack might carry over to another creature nearby. The attacker targets another creature within reach and, if the original attack roll can it it, applies any remaining damage to it. If this creature is likewise reduced to 0 hitpoints, repeat the process. This can continue until there are no valid targets or until the damage carried over fails to reduce an undamaged creature to 0 hit points.

House Rules:
* You may move one racial stat bonus to a different stat (to keep racies from being totally statistically worse for various classes)

* Short rests are 15 minutes--long enough that you need to feel somewhat secure before resting, but short enough that they’re actually feasible to take (and don’t require knowledge of total safety).

* You may take a Feat that you meet the prerequisites for free at level 1 This was lower in the thread I forgot to add this to the OP! Make sure you have one pencilled in!

On alignments:
I’d prefer to avoid evil PCs unless they’re done well and played maturely. I rather not deal with a bunch of party infighting, especially over them acting against the party's general interest or over them being outright dicks to each other. I don’t mind disputes between party members (this is bound to happen with the degree of direction you’ll have in the story), and I don’t mind if your PC dislikes another PC, but I’d rather not deal with major party splits if at all possible.

Other Notes:
This is my first time running a 5e game. I do have experience DMing 3.5e before, though, so it's not totally fresh or new.
---
RESOURCES

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron updating Eberron for 5e

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets downloadable character sheets (suggestion: download the 5e character sheet pack and use a fillable pdf one and put it on google docs/dropbox)

e: DnD Classics PDF version of the Eberron Campaign Setting (3e) (this is the sourcebook that I'm using).

e2: gameplay thread link

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Definitely interested. I'll post my character tomorrow!

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Update: Now with real thread tag!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I am interested! Been wanting to roll up a wild mage (which actually sounds like a good fit for this considering the high charisma), but let http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com do the rest:

quote:

YOU THINK YOUR CHARACTER IS COOL? MY CHARACTER IS A loving

APATHETIC HALF-ELF [wildmage] FROM THE POOR SURROUNDINGS OF THE CAPITAL CITY WHO ACCIDENTALLY TORCHED THE LOCAL TEMPLE AND IS NOW CURSED BY ITS GOD

.....yessssssssss

There a god you think would make for a fun minor antagonist or should we roll for it?

edit: some random preliminary rolls for me to build a character out of.

Height : 5’5
Weight: 150
Additional Common Language: Orc
Additional Exotic Language: Celestial

Alignment 1 [L/N/C]: Lawful
Alignment 2 [G/N]: Neutral
Guild: Cooks and Bakers

Trinkets: A 1-pound egg with a bright red shell

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 23, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Hmm, I know very little about this setting but I'll give it a go. Can we use the swashbuckler rogue archetype from Unearthed Arcana?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Forever_Peace posted:

I am interested! Been wanting to roll up a wild mage (which actually sounds like a good fit for this considering the high charisma), but let http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com do the rest:

.....yessssssssss

There a god you think would make for a fun minor antagonist or should we roll for it?

If you're looking for the scorn of an evil god, both The Mockery (NE, Violence and Treachery; followers include evil fighters, rogues, monks and assassins) or The Shadow (CE, Dark Magic and the Corruption of Nature; followers include evil wizards and sorcerers and various monsters) seem like they'd be good choices.

If you're looking for a non-evil god, Aureon (LN, Law and Knowledge; patron of arcane spellcasters, as well as sages, librarians and scribes) seems like it'd fit.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Hmm, I know very little about this setting but I'll give it a go. Can we use the swashbuckler rogue archetype from Unearthed Arcana?

It seems alright to me, go for it. This is shaping up to be a pretty fittingly charismatic party so far!

e: feel free to ask questions you have about the setting (or anything else!) either in here or via PM

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Look Around You posted:

If you're looking for the scorn of an evil god, both The Mockery (NE, Violence and Treachery; followers include evil fighters, rogues, monks and assassins) or The Shadow (CE, Dark Magic and the Corruption of Nature; followers include evil wizards and sorcerers and various monsters) seem like they'd be good choices.

If you're looking for a non-evil god, Aureon (LN, Law and Knowledge; patron of arcane spellcasters, as well as sages, librarians and scribes) seems like it'd fit.

Aureon and The Mockery seem like plausible temples to burn the gently caress down given the setting (I'm guessing evil wizards and monsters would probably be relatively low density in this area).

You have any good curse ideas inspired by either of these? You are also welcome to toss in some kind of boon as well for balance (though I can work with whatever you think is the most fun).

If it's pertinent to curse-smithing, I rolled some additional stuff for the character. Turns out our wild mage speaks Orc and Celestial, is a kick-rear end chef, and owns an inordinately large red egg.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Here's some basic info for my character:

Name: Miri Tallstag (human noble)
Class: Warlock
Alignment: Chaotic neutral
Languages: Common, elvish, abyssal

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Forever_Peace posted:

Aureon and The Mockery seem like plausible temples to burn the gently caress down given the setting (I'm guessing evil wizards and monsters would probably be relatively low density in this area).

You have any good curse ideas inspired by either of these? You are also welcome to toss in some kind of boon as well for balance (though I can work with whatever you think is the most fun).

If it's pertinent to curse-smithing, I rolled some additional stuff for the character. Turns out our wild mage speaks Orc and Celestial, is a kick-rear end chef, and owns an inordinately large red egg.

Here's what I came up with for Aureon:
* Ever since you torched his temple and destroyed the knowledge kept inside, Aureon has made sure that your short term memory is awful and you'll randomly forget various facts, names, etc. unless you write down what you're trying to remember (thus creating some new written knowledge for him). Once you put it in writing, you'll be able to recall the facts instantly without looking it up, and you'll never forget them while the written copy exists. However, if the hard-copy is destroyed, you instantly forget all the written memories that were lost.

How does this sound? I tried to give a bit of a benefit back in with the drawback to make it kinda neutral. Let me know if you think it's too unplayable or unfun or if you just plain don't like it and we can figure out something else!

e: thinking on it, maybe there should be a proximity requirement for the written form? It's up to you, but I feel like either "on person" or "within xx distance" may feel a bit more 'realistic'. What do you think?

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 23, 2015

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Any interest in playtesting the psionic classes?

If not I rolled an "apathetic Dwarf Wizard from Black Rock Beach who suffers from claustrophobia"

I'm also unfamiliar with Eberron. Any good resources you'd suggest beyond browsing around a wiki for a bit?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Double post, but I feel like I should mention for anyone interested in the setting that the soucebook I'm using is the 3e Eberron Campaing Setting.

Here's a link to the DnD Classics site that sells it as a PDF.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

odinson posted:

Any interest in playtesting the psionic classes?

If not I rolled an "apathetic Dwarf Wizard from Black Rock Beach who suffers from claustrophobia"

I'm also unfamiliar with Eberron. Any good resources you'd suggest beyond browsing around a wiki for a bit?

Could you give me a link to the Psionic rules? I searched the wizards site and didn't pull anything up. I also edited in a link to a site with a pdf version of the sourcebook into the op just now

I am a little concerned over the fact that right now we have a sorcerer (wild), a warlock and a rogue (swashbuckler) -- I feel like we might need divine caster, and maybe a more martial-ish character (though I'm not sure how 5e plays without them). I think we could definitely get away with another arcane (or psionic) caster, but we'd need to fill to 5 or 6 with a divine and (maybe) martial. I guess we'll see how that goes as things fill out.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I guess it's probably not terribly helpful that I'm poking over the sorcerer rules as well, then. :D

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/awakened-mystic
http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/Psionics.pdf

Estimated level this adventure goes to?

odinson fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 23, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I'm estimating mid-teens at least. The first few levels are gonna be somewhat quick to get everyone to their archetype/path/etc, and then we'll go from there. Ideally I'm hoping to avoid that feeling of stagnation that sometimes happens, so there's definitely gonna be XP from more than just combat interactions.

(and thanks for the second link, the first wasn't pulling anything up, I'm gonna look it over now)

e: I checked them out. They seem sound, but they only go to 5th level which is... not particularly helpful unless you want to multiclass I suppose. So sure, why not?

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 23, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Look Around You posted:

I am a little concerned over the fact that right now we have a sorcerer (wild), a warlock and a rogue (swashbuckler) -- I feel like we might need divine caster, and maybe a more martial-ish character (though I'm not sure how 5e plays without them).

I'm thinking of multiclassing to Battlemaster fighter to get some sweet manuevers. I'm definitely not a sneaky rogue at all.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I'm thinking of multiclassing to Battlemaster fighter to get some sweet manuevers. I'm definitely not a sneaky rogue at all.

Ok, cool. The Panache ability from swashbuckler seems awesome at drawing aggro, and most of the other abilities look pretty good too actually.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Look Around You posted:

I am a little concerned over the fact that right now we have a sorcerer (wild), a warlock and a rogue (swashbuckler) -- I feel like we might need divine caster, and maybe a more martial-ish character (though I'm not sure how 5e plays without them). I think we could definitely get away with another arcane (or psionic) caster, but we'd need to fill to 5 or 6 with a divine and (maybe) martial. I guess we'll see how that goes as things fill out.

IME you want a dedicated Healbot in 5e. That is to say, a Bard/Cleric/Druid with Healing Word is your baseline competent healer; it's the only healing spell that's a Bonus Action, and you really only want to be using healing to pick people up from 0 (in combat, anyway.) A Paladin's Lay on Hands can be used for triage, at least at low levels (1 HP to get someone up from 0, although it's an action) but you still probably want a full-time healer in the party on top of that. Out of Combat, the Healer feat is really good, and even Inspiring Leader can be alright (if overly-fluffy to use)
Any chance we can get some bonus feats, or are we looking at "all variant-humans all the time" for that?

Bard is basically good at debilitating enemies, Druid turns into a bear/dragon/whatever and has absurd HP, Cleric comes in all different flavours (because of domains).

All that said, I probably won't app a Bard or Druid, but Cleric or Paladin are possible. I might want to look into something fighty but TBH, the emphasis on not-combat makes me think twice. Some kind of Ranger or Rogue is also an outside possibility for me. I might go Evil, if for no other reason than I'm competent to do it while remaining a team player. :)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I was actually looking at Life Domain Cleric, not sure on race yet.

Speaking of Life Domain Clerics, and Eberron. If one was going to go Halfling Life Domain Cleric, switching the Dex for Wis probably, would they be able to grab the Mark of Healing feat? At 4th level if no bonus feats, or 1st level if bonus feats are granted.

Also Life Domain Cleric gets a bonus to the healing of their spells, since the Mark of Healing grants a 1/day use of some healing spells would the Life Domain Cleric get to add their bonus to the healing spells of the Mark of Healing?

The Marks tend to grant a cantrip, is that granted cantrip at will like usual cantrips? Or is it too 1/day?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 23, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
This intro/setup sounds pretty compelling to me, so I will likely be dropping an app in the near future. Since intrigue seems like it will be A Thing, there would probably be use for a Changeling Rogue in the party, no? Alternately, if non-standard races are allowed, how about a Goblin Artificer? According to the fluff, goblins are occasionally viewed as a civilized(ish) race, but of course if that doesn't fit in with where you want the game to go, that's OK.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

P.d0t posted:

IME you want a dedicated Healbot in 5e. That is to say, a Bard/Cleric/Druid with Healing Word is your baseline competent healer; it's the only healing spell that's a Bonus Action, and you really only want to be using healing to pick people up from 0 (in combat, anyway.) A Paladin's Lay on Hands can be used for triage, at least at low levels (1 HP to get someone up from 0, although it's an action) but you still probably want a full-time healer in the party on top of that. Out of Combat, the Healer feat is really good, and even Inspiring Leader can be alright (if overly-fluffy to use)
Any chance we can get some bonus feats, or are we looking at "all variant-humans all the time" for that?

Bard is basically good at debilitating enemies, Druid turns into a bear/dragon/whatever and has absurd HP, Cleric comes in all different flavours (because of domains).

All that said, I probably won't app a Bard or Druid, but Cleric or Paladin are possible. I might want to look into something fighty but TBH, the emphasis on not-combat makes me think twice. Some kind of Ranger or Rogue is also an outside possibility for me. I might go Evil, if for no other reason than I'm competent to do it while remaining a team player. :)

By bonus feat you mean starting out with a feat at 1st level? If so, that actually does sound like a good idea to give a bit more customization at level 1. (this is my first time running 5e so I'm still feeling out some of the more house rule-y things)

Ryuujin posted:

I was actually looking at Life Domain Cleric, not sure on race yet.

Speaking of Life Domain Clerics, and Eberron. If one was going to go Halfling Life Domain Cleric, switching the Dex for Wis probably, would they be able to grab the Mark of Healing feat? At 4th level if no bonus feats, or 1st level if bonus feats are granted.

Also Life Domain Cleric gets a bonus to the healing of their spells, since the Mark of Healing grants a 1/day use of some healing spells would the Life Domain Cleric get to add their bonus to the healing spells of the Mark of Healing?

The Marks tend to grant a cantrip, is that granted cantrip at will like usual cantrips? Or is it too 1/day?

I checked the 3e feats that it's based on and it looks like it's not unlimited, and on re-reading the UA update, it looks that they're not intended to be unlimited in 5e either (the Heal Wounds under Mark of Healing kinda gives it away too). I'm gonna house rule and say that Least Dragonmark spells are 2/long rest, while Lesser and Greater are 1/long rest

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, here's my character. Geography stuff will be fixed later once I actually learn something about Eberron.

Bricklefon Silverstream
Rogue 1

Character Sheet

Bricklefon was stricken with wanderlust at an early age and left the Talenta Plains to make way for Newthrone where he and his brother charmed their way onto the Seabinder, first ship he heard was hiring crew members. As it turned out, the Seabinder was a merchant ship that specialized in the transport of spices. Bricklefon took to the sea quickly and also discovered he had a knack for appraising the quality of different spices. It was said that he could tell five different cultivars of oregano by smell alone, and in time Bricklefon's aptitude towards spice trading had made the Seabinder one of the most successful participants in the spice trade. One day after a particularly bad storm, the Seabinder was forced to harbor in Flamekeep for extensive repairs. Setbacks kept happening, and Bricklefon became tired of waiting. Although he had enjoyed his adventures on the water his wanderlust was flaring up again; perhaps it was time to go landward. He made his way to Aundair and was passing through Bluevine at the time of the festival.

Never one to say no to a few cups of ale, he found a group of revelers to drink with outside of a tavern and was soon making them roar with laughter as he regaled them with tales of adventure on the high seas. None of the stories were true, but Bricklefon's audience didn't know that! He pulled out his tin whistle to demonstrate to them a hornpipe he had learned in the Lhazaar Principalities, and once the crowd had warmed up to him he struck up a conversation with one of the roast boar vendors. Just as the topic turned to turmeric, the skeletons attacked the festival. He sighed, put away his spice jars, and drew his cutlass as he got ready to defend himself...

quote:

(this is my first time running 5e so I'm still feeling out some of the more house rule-y things)
Everybody loves the option for rolled stats!

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 24, 2015

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I'm about to throw on a movie and crash. I'll update my app here tomorrow. Probably go with an order of the immortal mix with....something?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Look Around You posted:

By bonus feat you mean starting out with a feat at 1st level? If so, that actually does sound like a good idea to give a bit more customization at level 1. (this is my first time running 5e so I'm still feeling out some of the more house rule-y things)

I checked the 3e feats that it's based on and it looks like it's not unlimited, and on re-reading the UA update, it looks that they're not intended to be unlimited in 5e either (the Heal Wounds under Mark of Healing kinda gives it away too). I'm gonna house rule and say that Least Dragonmark spells are 2/long rest, while Lesser and Greater are 1/long rest

"You gain the ability to innately cast spells and cantrips, as summarized in the Dragonmark Benefits table, using the spellcasting ability listed under the Ability column" and "You cast each spell at its lowest level. Once you cast a given spell this way, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it innately again."

It seems like it separates spells and cantrips, so it might be only the spells that are once per day. Or it might not. I really wish they thought things through a bit more, tried to use more clear and mechanical wording, when dealing with stuff like this.

That said making Least Dragonmark spells 2/long rest would be an increase in power. Really for a cleric it only matters if the cantrip is at will or not as to whether or not they want to use one of their cleric cantrip picks on the same cantrip.

Bonus feat usually means starting with a feat at 1st level, like every edition since 3.x. It does reduce the desire to go variant human just so you can start with a feat.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Everybody loves the option for rolled stats!

NO! BAD MONKEY!

Don't listen to him. That way lies madness.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

"You gain the ability to innately cast spells and cantrips, as summarized in the Dragonmark Benefits table, using the spellcasting ability listed under the Ability column" and "You cast each spell at its lowest level. Once you cast a given spell this way, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it innately again."

It seems like it separates spells and cantrips, so it might be only the spells that are once per day. Or it might not. I really wish they thought things through a bit more, tried to use more clear and mechanical wording, when dealing with stuff like this.

That said making Least Dragonmark spells 2/long rest would be an increase in power. Really for a cleric it only matters if the cantrip is at will or not as to whether or not they want to use one of their cleric cantrip picks on the same cantrip.

Yeah, that wording is super ambiguous. In the 3.5e book Least Dragonmarks all give you a choice two or three spells either 1/day or 2/day and a +2 bonus on a specific skill check. So the Least Mark of Finding gives you a choice of { Identify 1/day, Know Direction 2/day or Locate Object 1/day} and a +2 bonus on search checks.

The issue being that cantrips didn't really exist as such in 3.5e and skill bonuses don't really exist as such in 5e. You can definitely argue either way and I'm trying to figure out the most balanced way. I feel like the intent is that you learn to cast {spell1 and spell2} innately (and only innately) , and once you cast spell1 via dragonmark, you need a long rest before you can do it again and the same for spell2. I wonder if making the cantrip 1/short rest and the spell 1/long rest would mesh better?

Edit: Either way, I feel like the intent is to give some spells to non casting classes (or spells you normally couldn't cast) or to give you an extra cast of a certain spell you can cast, not to give a free actual (mechanical) cantrip

quote:

Bonus feat usually means starting with a feat at 1st level, like every edition since 3.x. It does reduce the desire to go variant human just so you can start with a feat.

Ok cool that makes sense. We'll go with a bonus feat at 1st level.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 23, 2015

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
I'm going to steal the idea of a friend of mine and make a Warforged Bard :v:

----------------

Grace, formerly General Lance

Race:Warforged
Class: Bard
Alignment: Lawful Good
Height: 6'1''
Weight: 280lb.

Abilities - standard array(15,14,13,12,10,8), shifting racial STR bonus to CHA
-STR: 14(+2)
-DEX: 12(+1)
-CON: 14(+2)
-INT: 10(-)
-WIS: 8(-1)
-CHA: 16(+3)

HP: 10
AC: 14
Saving throw proficiencies: Dexterity, Charisma
Hit Dice: 1d8

Background: Soldier(officer)
Feature: Military Rank
Personality Traits: "I’m haunted by memories of war. I can’t get the images of violence out of my mind." / "I’m full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation."
Ideal: Greater Good. "Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others." (Good)
Bond: "Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for."
Flaw: "I obey the law, even if the law causes misery."

Armor proficiencies: Light armor
Weapon proficiencies: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Skill proficiencies: Athletics, History, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion,
Tool proficiencies: Bagpipes, lute, lyre, deck of cards, vehicles(land)

Languages: Common, Elvish

Trinket: A glass jar containing a weird bit of flesh floating in pickling fluid:stare:

Racial Features:
Size: Medium
Speed: 30'
Composite Plating: +1 to AC
Living Construct: Immune to disease, does not need to eat or drink. Does not sleep, but rest for 4 hours, aware.

Class Features:
Spellcasting
Bardic Inspiration(1d6): Use bonus action to grant inspiration dice to ally within 60'.

Spellcasting:
DC 13, +5 Spell Attack
Cantrips: Minor Illusion(s,m), Vicious Mockery(v)
1st-Level(2 per day): Bane(v,s,m), Faerie Fire(v), Healing Word(v), Heroism(v,s)

Feats:
Martial Adept: Learn two maneuvers from the Battle Master list(Commander's Strike, Precision Attack). Gain one 1d6 superiority die. DC for maneuvers is 10.
-Commander's Strike: When taking the Attack action, spend bonus action and superiority die to direct ally to use their reaction to make an attack, adding superiority die to damage.
-Precision Attack: May spend one superiority die and add it to attack roll. May be played before or after making the attack roll, but must be before its effects are applied.

Equipment: [Starting gold = 200gp]
Studded leather(45gp)
Longsword(15gp)
Entertainer's pack(40gp)
Clothes, common(0,5gp)
Bagpipes(30gp) :scotland:
Playing card set(0,5gp)
Lyre(30gp)
Lute(35gp)
4gp left

History:

quote:

The Warforged that came to take the name Lance was one of the first of his kind constructed by the Creation Forges. He was sold to fight in the service of Prince Thalin of Thrane. Throughout the decades he served, his skill and expertise elevated him through the ranks. By the end of the war, he had command over more than a thousand loyal soldiers. Then the war was over. Lance found himself lost and without purpose. For his service, he was offered a gift of his choosing.

"I WOULD LIKE TO SING." the general replied. And so it was that he revisited the Creation Forges. Just before it was dismantled, it was used a final time to reforge the general into a body more suitable for his new passion. Heavy armor and muscles were replaced with stereo speaker systems, breathing bellows to operate wind instruments, and a lightweight body more suitable for stage performances. Although Lance's memories and personality were preserved, his skills and martial mastery translated poorly into his overhauled form, and he shall have to relearn it practically from scratch. Although he carried the same face, he felt the name Lance no longer fit him, so he took the new name Grace, donated almost all of his assets to a charity devoted to helping newly emancipated warforged find their way in the world, and started a new life as a minstrel.

He immediately began performing at various taverns and inns, where his tone-deaf singing and wailing bagpipe performances were met with a resounding lack of enthusiasm, as he was a complete novice. Undeterred, Grace continued to practice his trade as he made his way through Khorvaire until he found himself playing in Aundair, which he had last visited at the head of an army. After several months of his music meeting nothing but scorn, he finally finds his groove atop a small stage at a fair outside the village of Bluevine. Just as Grace begins to feel his determination bear fruit, some undead motherfuckers show up to ruin his sweet jam.

(will probably go the Valor road, maybe even pick up heavy armor prof for extra metalness. Grace's character arc will most likely be "god loving damnit I was trying to get away from this poo poo". Decided to have him be a veteran of Thrane instead of Aundair because of the opportunity for drama :v:)
EDIT: Used starting wealth to buy poo poo rather than take equipment. Linked a proper character sheet.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 26, 2015

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Here's what I came up with for Aureon:
* Ever since you torched his temple and destroyed the knowledge kept inside, Aureon has made sure that your short term memory is awful and you'll randomly forget various facts, names, etc. unless you write down what you're trying to remember (thus creating some new written knowledge for him). Once you put it in writing, you'll be able to recall the facts instantly without looking it up, and you'll never forget them while the written copy exists. However, if the hard-copy is destroyed, you instantly forget all the written memories that were lost.

How does this sound? I tried to give a bit of a benefit back in with the drawback to make it kinda neutral. Let me know if you think it's too unplayable or unfun or if you just plain don't like it and we can figure out something else!

e: thinking on it, maybe there should be a proximity requirement for the written form? It's up to you, but I feel like either "on person" or "within xx distance" may feel a bit more 'realistic'. What do you think?

Ha, I love it! Sort of like a spellbook for memories. Love the natural tension with wild-mage surges that can potentially immolate everything I touch or cast fireball on my own head.

Here's the curse I came up with, running with your ideas:

quote:

- My long-term episodic memory (memory for events and occurrences) has been magically obliterated by Aureon as punishment for burning down his temple library. I still remember people, places, and things I've encountered (e.g. will remember their name and whether or not I like them, and will be able to follow routes I have walked before etc), I just won't remember the actual encounter itself. Short-term memory lasts about 30 seconds, so that's the amount of time I have before something is forgotten (in combat, this would be 5 rounds before I forget what the fight was about to begin with).
- The only way I can remember events is by writing them down in an attuned journal. By reading the first page of the journal (an inscription of the crime and the curse by Aureon), the remaining contents of the journal can be recalled as if they were memories. This effect fades whenever I sleep, and I awake remembering nothing after the "incident" (so if the journal is lost somehow, I'd have maybe a few days of constant wakefulness [no long rests] to retrieve it, going steadily more insane in the process, until eventually collapsing from exhaustion and forgetting everything). Aureon's intention here is for me to begin the rebuilding of knowledge that was lost to the fire.
- I remember things from the journal as they were written, without any inkling when something was falsely recorded.

As I think about it, I also really love the natural tension between this arduous task and an "apathetic" character who will probably spend most of his time recording recipe ideas and such rather than anything of particular importance anyways.

Gave myself a 30-second window to record things (should make for interesting choices during combat - "for my action, I drop all my weapons and scribble furiously on my arm") and a duration of returned memories "until sleep".

For the boon, I tried to think of a few ideas that would be almost entirely fluff (i.e. without much mechanical benefit) and don't add unnecessary complications. Mostly ways for you to get creative as a DM or nudge us in a particular direction. Some ideas:

quote:

A) The few events that can be recalled from the journal are recalled with such fidelity and realism that new minor details can be added. Intention: a quality of life fluff (to a previous interlocutor: "Man we forgot to ask for directions and now we're lost - where should I be headed right now?"), a source for dramatic reveals ("...You totally set this trap didn't you." - "Yep, enjoy your watery doom") or hints if we're really struggling ("In my memory from the previous night, I go and read the papers on the desk for clues.")
B) Aureon intends for this record to be definitive and complete, and has enchanted the journal to make it so. As I record my thoughts, my hand also writes bits and pieces of important developments that are happening elsewhere. Intention: pretty much exclusively plot hooks and flavor that the DM wants to toss at us for dramatic or humorous effect.
C) Years of practice has made me pretty good at noticing and recording even minute details, particularly about people. Intention: a minor baseline level of "passive" insight, e.g. automatically noticing when a genuinely helpful person genuinely wants to help, or detecting harmless white lies.
D) Through intense focus and concentration, I can sometimes fill the gaps in my own memories from magical memory traces contained in objects or animals. Intention: again, almost entirely plot hooks and flavor the DM wants to send our way, completely at your discretion (e.g. a dagger might provide vague images of it's past uses, a home might leave an impression of it's occupants, a book might reveal the mindset or location of the person who wrote it etc).

Anything here stand out as something you'd find interesting to try?

I intentionally tried to make the bane > boon (not trying to be a special snowflake here, just hoping to pursue a really fun character idea!), but you're welcome to introduce an actual mechanic boon of some sort if you're worried about the character being gimped (though I might suggest that it could be fun to get a visit from Aureon to "adjust" the boon/bane if it seems unbalanced after some trial and error!).

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 23, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey work in progress I made with an auto generator using auto roll with a 4d6. Can anyone tell me if this looks okay before I go further in the character development?

Sorry for using screen caps I'm at work right now and can do a proper character sheet till tonight.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 23, 2015

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

gfanikf posted:

Hey work in progress I made with an auto generator using auto roll with a 4d6. Can anyone tell me if this looks okay before I go further in the character development?

Stats are array/pointbuy, not rolled.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Werewhale posted:

Stats are array/pointbuy, not rolled.

Well I'm an idiot. Totally missed that. Oh well so much for the hilariously smart yet weak barbarian...and now I can at least generate something more useful.

Roll mistake notwithstanding does the software I used seem like it generated everything properly?

Either way I'll get to work on a proper build.

I also have the players guide on same day delivery from Amazon for today so hopefully that will help too.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Elorin Occasio

Rolls, Character Sheet, Gear, Spells, Summary
8/8 HP, 12 AC

Basic Details
Half-Elf Wildmage (Sorcerer), Age 53, 5’5 and 150lbs
Lawful Neutral, Speed 30’, Passive Perception 13, 60’ darkvision
Languages: Common, Elvish, Orc, Celestial

Character Stats
STR 8 (-1), DEX 14 (+2), *CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 12 (+1), *CHA 18 (+4)
(point buy 8/14/13/10/12/15, racial bonus 0/0/1/0/0/3)

Skills: Acrobatics (+4), Deception (+6), Insight (+3), Perception (+3), Persuasion (+6), Stealth (+4)
Proficiencies: Daggers, Darts, Quarterstaffs, Slings, Light Crossbows. CON/CHA saving throws.
Race Feature: Fey Ancestry (advantage on charm saves, cannot be magically put to sleep)
Class Feature: Wild magic surge (d20 on spells 1st level or higher, surge on a 1)
Background: Guild Member – Cooks and Bakers
Campaign Trait: Curse of Aureon (episodic memory amnesia, magical memory journal, "Snappy Scrivenings" cantrip, and fidelity enchantment on the journal)
Campaign Bonus Feat: Lucky

Character Profile
Personality: Apathetic
Ideal: People. I’m committed to the people I care about, not ideals.
Bond: To free myself from this curse.
Flaw: Hyper competitive cook and baker. Often jealous of other professionals and condescending towards amateur cooks.

Magic
DC 13, +6 Magic Attack, +4 Damage
Sorcery Points: 0, Tides of Chaos: 1
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Snappy Scrivenings (campaign trait)
1st (2/2): Shield, Chromatic Orb
Arcane focus: Runic Chef’s Spatula (wand)

Mundane
Light Crossbow: +4 to hit, 80/320 range, 1d8+2 piercing
2 Daggers: +4 to hit, 20/60 range, 1d4+2 piercing
Notable items: Aureon Tome (campaign item), a 1-pound egg with a bright red shell, cook’s utensils.

Background
Fairhaven Slums, age 19:
Elorin watches the soft flecks of ash that lift from the charred mass in front of him, riding the lazy eddies of pungent stench that seep out of what used to be a thick, juicy slab of venison. Elorin knows what happens next. There’s nothing to do now but listen to the hiss and pop of bubbling gristle, bear witness to the charred flecks that flit through the sunbeams from the rusted window slats, and wait.
He didn’t need to wait long. “DAGNABBIT YOU STUPID MORON WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY STEAK.” Dabub furiously heaves his considerable potbelly around filthy stovetops and packed prep tables, miraculously traversing the greasy tile floor with something akin to grace (or at least well-practiced, controlled chaos). Dabub reiterates his rhetorical question as his massive hand mindlessly pushes Elorin to the side head-first, this time preceded (and followed) by a string of Orcish curses. Elorin manages to pick out a few familiar ones this time – his handle on the language is improving, though he wasn’t completely convinced of the utility of his current vocabulary of foodstuffs and poop metaphors.
As always, Dabub calms down quickly. The old Orc was really all bark and no bite (excepting those rare occurrences where actual biting is involved in settling disputes with various local distributors). “I’ve shown you a million times. If you’re done standing around like a drooling idiot, try actually learning how to finish the damned dish this time.” Dabub pulls out his iconic spatula, well-known through by the seedier inhabitants of Fairhaven, and begins to carefully summon fine jets of fire over a new steak fresh off the butcher block, sprinkling the surface with salt, pepper, and sugar as he goes. In no time at all, a beautifully browned exterior begins to take shape. Another flick of the spatula sends the steak floating across the kitchen onto the wooden plate waiting at the service window, where it is quickly ensconced by the front staff. Dabub waves his spatula menacingly under Elorin’s nose. “Now you.”

Fairhaven, age 45:
“God I am so hosed.” Elorin absently closes the book in his lap and tosses it onto the nearby table, where it promptly glides across the polished surface and clatters to the floor. An acolyte across the aisle glares sharply, drawing a heavy from Elorin as he gets up to retrieve the tome. “We might as well just go grab a beer or something. There’s no way we stand a chance anyways.”
Elorin’s young sous chef looks up from her own study. “Don’t be such a downer. We still have three days to work out a menu. That’s more than enough to submit something good.” Elorin knew that was a lie. A prominent house was holding a competition to hire their next kitchen staff: a cushy job that would mean an extravagant payday for the both of them. They had been trying for months to meet the challenge – to find a flavor that has never before been tasted – but even the most obscure ingredients they could dig up out of old herbalism tomes and animal anatomy either tasted boring or just tasted like so much hot garbage.
Katerin clearly wasn’t ready to give up, and also clearly didn’t know the Elorin already had. So Elorin sulks instead, counting the seconds that he could leave this blasted temple library and get drunk. Katerin simply ignores him, and as usual, Elorin decides that maybe at least half-assing it for the rest of the afternoon would keep him on her good side. He lazily waves his spatula at the top shelf across from his seat, sending a few more books flopping to the floor with his poor aim. He sighs and tries again with an exaggerated urgency, and an old treatise on glandular secretions starts floating his way. But Elorin immediately tenses as all the hairs on his neck stand on end. He knows something is wrong. The spell doesn’t feel right.
Elorin frantically glances around, ready for disaster. Everything looks like normal in size this time. Nothing unexpected is floating. There’s no grease or unicorns anywhere that he could see.
Then the book floats into his hand. And upon contact, immediately bursts into flame. Elorin flings it away in shock and falls backward, arms flailing. A terrible inferno leaps to existence around everything he touches on the way to the ground. A stack of books. His backpack. The nicely glossed table. Katerin.

Location unkown, age 52
Elorin drifts awake to a low humming. A deep, unceasing, rumbling whir that rattles his shoddy bedframe. A small window on wall – the only one in the room – reveals only an unblemished white, a pea-soup fog too deep to see through. And Elorin has no idea why he’s here.
He shakes his head and tries to drive away the grogginess, then looks around to take in more of his surroundings. The room is bare, almost Spartan in it’s emptiness, but what few items lay strewn about seem deeply familiar. An engraved, well-seasoned spatula. A set of clothes. A book. A dull chef’s knife. Even the hum is familiar. But he doesn’t know why.
Elorin moves to the small inset writing table and idly flips open the book there. The first page is an inscription, written in bold, inhumanely perfect script. TO ATONE FOR THAT WHICH YOU DESTROYED, YOU WILL BEAR WITNESS. AS OUR HISTORY IS LOST, SO NOW IS YOURS. AS THE WORD IS OUR REFUGE, SO NOW IS IT YOURS. AS WE HAVE BREATHED THE AIR INTO TRUTH, SO NOW WILL YOU. DARKENING DAYS SLOUCH TOWARDS BEDLAM AND ABOVE THE ASHES YOU WILL BEAR WITNESS.
Then everything comes flooding back. The horrible fire at the temple. The days of pain and the months of grief that followed. The recurring dreams that culminated in the visitation of a god. The curse. Memory loss. And a mission. A mission to begin rebuilding the library of Aureon with a new epic: a firsthand history of some important event meant to come. But then there was more. Apathy. Holes in my recollection – days, weeks missing. A drinking problem. A narrow escape from an angry mob. A lovely job working the line on an airship to just barely scrape by. Years of pointless toil and pent up frustrations, and a striking wave of shame and grief that is torn open and laid bare every single morning.
But then Elorin recalls the most recent events on this airship. A clearly important and stupefying wealthy guest. A mysterious red egg being secretly displayed to business associates. A plan to steal the egg from it’s lockbox during the last night in the sky before arrival, selling it, and living comfortably from then on. Wait – not just a plan. Elorin reaches down the pack on the floor and opens the main flap. Sure enough, the hard, mottled red of the mysterious egg glistens back up at him. Elorin quickly grabs his pen from the bag and jots down a quick note in the Tome of Aureon: “Made it through the night with the egg. Disembark this morning. Seems to be within a half-hour of dawn.” But then his hand, without prompting, continues to write. “The head of security has already begun checking rooms. They know it is missing, and they will kill whomever took it without hesitation. That is the level of its significance.”
Elorin stares at the page. There was no way he could possibly know that. But at the same time, he is completely convinced that it’s true. Crouching down with an ear pressed to the door confirmed that security was indeed pounding on doors up the hallways. They were close. Time was up. Elorin flings his belongings into the pack, straps it to his person, and without hesitation, leaps out of the window into the dawn sky. He has a feeling it would turn out alright.

Bluevine, age 53
Months pass since Elorin’s frantic dive into Lake Galifar, and he is still unable to find a buyer for the mysterious egg. Resolved that waiting to see what happens is generally the best strategy with these sorts of things, Elorin simply whiles away the days picking up other mundane cooking jobs. First in Passage, then further east at the smaller town of Bluevine.
On the feast of the Treaty of Thronehold, Elorin finds himself yet again carefully working his longtime spatula over yet another slab of meat. Fire flares over its surface with significantly more practice now, but Elorin smiles slightly as he sprinkles a pinch of his old mentor’s salt, pepper, and sugar mix over a piece of boar before handing it off to a customer. Elorin isn’t quite sure when this great task of Aureon’s was meant to occur, or when his dream of a comfortable life off the proceeds of a rare egg sale would come to fruition, but Elorin was content, and sometimes that was enough. He believed it was no use pushing against the grain. Or really pushing much of anything, really.
Elorin settles in for a long and lazy afternoon chopping and cooking boar, allowing himself to become engrossed in conversation with a spice merchant who happened to be passing by.

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (5/5) , Luck Point (3/3), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d6)
Tide of Chaos (1/1)
Spells (13 DC): 1st (2/2).
status effects: none

quote:

Pertinent Rules
Curse of Aureon: I inadvertently burned down a temple library of Aureon and have been cursed to atone.
- My long-term episodic memory (memory for events and occurrences) has been magically obliterated by Aureon as punishment for burning down his temple library. I still remember people, places, and things I've encountered (e.g. will remember their name and whether or not I like them, and will be able to follow routes I have walked before etc), I just won't remember the actual encounter itself. Short-term memory lasts about 30 seconds.
- The only way I can remember events is by writing them down in an attuned journal. By reading the first page of the journal (an inscription of the crime and the curse by Aureon), the remaining contents of the journal can be recalled as if they were memories. This effect fades whenever I sleep, and I awake remembering nothing after the "incident" (so if the journal is lost somehow, I'd have maybe a few days of constant wakefulness [no long rests] to retrieve it, going steadily more insane in the process, until eventually collapsing from exhaustion and forgetting everything).
- I remember things from the journal as they were written, without any inkling when something was falsely recorded.
- Aureon's intention here is for me to begin the rebuilding of knowledge that was lost to the fire. Aureon hinted that this record would be definitive and complete, and has enchanted the journal to make it so. As I record my thoughts, my hand also writes bits and pieces of important developments that are happening elsewhere.
- Grants the "Snappy Scrivenings" Cantrip

Wild Magic Surge: Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect. (phb page 104)

Tide of Chaos: Starting at 1st level, you can manipulate the forces of chance and chaos to gain advantage on one attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Once you do so, you must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again. Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. You then regain the use of this feature.

Lucky: You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker’s roll or yours. Regain on long rest.

Hero Points: Each time you gain a level you lose any unspent points and gain (5 + 1/2 character level) points. You can spend your hero point whenever you make an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. You may spend the point after the roll is made but before its results are applied. Spending a hero point allows you to roll 1d6 and add it to the d20, possibly turning a failure into a success. You may only spend 1 hero point per roll. In addition, whenever a character fails a death saving throw, you may spend one hero point to turn the failure into a success.

Cooks and Bakers Guild: Guild will provide you with lodging and food if necessary. Guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession. Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild.

quote:

Snappy Scrivenings
Level 0 – Illusion
Range: Self, Components: V
Casting Time: Bonus Action, Duration: 2 minutes.

You speak a short, simple sentence that is transcribed into your skin at a random location on your body, as if in blue ink, in whatever script that is typically used for the language spoken. It emits no light, and cannot be interacted with by nonmagical means (e.g. cannot be washed or rubbed off), but can be dispelled or countered. While the message develops on the skin, it elicits a faint feeling of being scratched or tickled. If there is already a scrivening active, it is overwritten by the new message and forgotten forever.
Location (d8): 1 – Forehead, 2 – Neck, 3– Chest, 4 – Left Arm, 5-Right Arm, 6 – Belly, 7 – Legs, 8 – Bottom of Feet

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 28, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Forever_Peace posted:

edit:
Need some DM rulings.
- I can afford ink and a pen for my mementos, but can you spot me the price of the book? (I'm calling it the Aureon Tome)
Yeah that seems pretty fair, we can just say that (at least the first one) was given to you/unceremoniously thrown at you/whatever by one of his priests, or you can come up with a story on how you got it.

quote:

- I can't decide between using the pen as an arcane focus (mechanically maybe a "gemstone" focus if I write in a stone of some kind at the back end?) or a Chef's ladle covered in runes (mechanically a "wand"). A) Is this allowed, and B) You have a preference? I like the ladle idea better but the pen focus would let me write stuff down without switching items around in combat.
Either idea is fine with me. I'm honestly imagining an actual paper tome, so I don't think you'd need the gemstone part unless you really want it to be stone (though I feel like stone would be pretty cost and weight prohibitive, especially at early levels). Wand could work for either one, or you could get a bit creative if you want.

Along those lines, I was considering giving you a special cantrip to magically jot down a sentence or two on your arm/whatever that lasts around a minute or two (or something like that to extend your working memory length) or until you use the cantrip again, which would be cast as a normal action so you don't need to physically swap items in combat.... though if your focus is a pen then you could probably just do this physically.

quote:

- You alright if I just roll a d20 in orokos alongside every lvl 1+ spell and note in bold when a surge occurs so you can roll the random effect for your posts? Gives you less things to keep track of.
This would be super helpful for sure.

quote:

- And finally, once we settle on a good curse, I'll write that into the post and background (see post above).

Yeah that's totally cool. I kinda like the "complete and definitive" one, which could possibly be framed as Aureon seeing this as a golden opportunity to get a primary source in one of the most historically important events in the land's history or whatever.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Awesome, edited the submission to reflect all of these things.

Look Around You posted:

Along those lines, I was considering giving you a special cantrip to magically jot down a sentence or two on your arm/whatever that lasts around a minute or two (or something like that to extend your working memory length) or until you use the cantrip again, which would be cast as a normal action so you don't need to physically swap items in combat.

How's this?

quote:

Snappy Scrivenings
Level 0 – Illusion
Range: Self, Components: V
Casting Time: Bonus Action, Duration: 2 minutes.

You speak a short, simple sentence that is transcribed into your skin at a random location on your body, as if in blue ink, in whatever script that is typically used for the language spoken. It emits no light, and cannot be interacted with by nonmagical means (e.g. cannot be washed or rubbed off), but can be dispelled or countered. While the message is being transcribed, it elicits a faint feeling of being scratched or tickled. If there is already a scrivening active, it is overwritten by the new message and forgotten forever.
Location (d8): 1 – Forehead, 2 – Neck, 3– Chest, 4 – Left Arm, 5-Right Arm, 6 – Belly, 7 – Legs, 8 – Bottom of Feet

Look alright? Made it use up a bonus action instead of full action because it has essentially no practical use aside from using up moves and opening up some fun roleplay opportunities. =P

I thought the random location would be fitting for the wildmage character but we can make it just an arm if you prefer for you characters not to partially undress themselves after combat occasionally.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 24, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I like me some Eberron. I'll be apping a changeling Cleric in a bit, will hopefully have it by tonight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the fighter that I've worked out. I'd appreciate any feedback on Rogar, especially as I was using the pathguy generator and it may have a bug in it.

Here is a nicer copy of the character sheet.

quote:

Rogar
Male Human Soldier Fighter 1
Chaotic Neutral
Representing gfanikf
Strength 13 (+1)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 11 (+0)
Wisdom 11 (+0)
Charisma 14 (+2)
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 210 lb
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Green
Hair: Dark Brown Straight; Beardless

Maximum Hit Points: 12
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration:
Armor Class: 18 = 10 + 6 [chain mail] + 2 [steel shield]
Proficiency bonus: +2
Initiative modifier: + 3 = + 3 [dexterity]
Attack (handheld / thrown): + 3 = + 1 [strength] + 2 [proficiency]
Attack (missile / finesse): + 5 = + 3 [dexterity] + 2 [proficiency]
Strength save: + 3 = + 1 [strength] + 2 [proficiency]
Dexterity save: + 3 = + 3 [dexterity]
Constitution save: + 4 = + 2 [constitution] + 2 [proficiency]
Intelligence save: + 0
Wisdom save: + 0
Charisma save: + 2 = + 2 [charisma]
Insight (passive): 10 (15 with advantage)
Investigation (passive): 10 (15 with advantage)
Perception (passive): 12 (17 with advantage)
Carry: 195 lb maximum
For groups using the optional encumberance rules:
If carrying more than 65 lb, encumbered -- -10 on speed
If carrying more than 130 lb, heavily encumbered -- -20 on speed, disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saves involving strength, constitution, and/or dexterity
Languages: Common Dwarvish
Unarmed strike [+3 to hit; 1+1 bludgeoning]
Crossbow, light [+7 to hit (archery style bonus); 1d8+3 piercing, 6 lb, ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed]
20 Darts [+7 to hit (archery style bonus); 1d4+3 piercing, 1 lb each, finesse, thrown (range 30/120)]
Short Sword [+5 to hit; 1d6+3 piercing, 2 lb, finesse, light]
Warhammer [+3 to hit; 1d8+1 bludgeoning, 4 lb, versatile (1d10 bludgeoning)]
Chain mail [heavy; + 6 AC; max dex + 0; stealth disadvantage; 55 lb.]
Steel Shield [+2 AC; 6 lb.]
Feats:

Skill Name Key
Ability Skill
Modifier Ability
Modifier Trained? Misc.
Modifier
Acrobatics Dex 3 = +3
Animal Handling Wis 0 = +0
Arcana Int 0 = +0
Athletics Str 3 = +1 + 2
Deception Cha 2 = +2
History Int 0 = +0
Insight Wis 0 = +0
Intimidation Cha 4 = +2 + 2
Investigation Int 0 = +0
Medicine Wis 0 = +0
Nature Int 0 = +0
Perception Wis 2 = +0 + 2
Performance Cha 2 = +2
Persuasion Cha 2 = +2
Religion Int 0 = +0
Sleight of Hand Dex 3 = +3
Stealth Dex 3 = +3
Survival Wis 2 = +0 + 2
Check any artisan tools with which Rogar is proficient:
Alchemist's supplies
Boyer / fletcher tools
Brewer's supplies
Calligrapher's supplies
Carpenter's tools
Cartographer's tools
Cobbler's tools
Cook's utensils
Glassblower's tools
Goldsmith / silversmith's tools
Jeweler's tools Leatherworker's tools
Mason's tools
Painter's supplies
Potter's tools
Smith's tools
Tinker's tools
Weaver's tools
Woodcarver's tools

Check any instruments with which Rogar is proficient:
Bagpipes
Drum
Dulcimer
Flute
Lute
Lyre Horn
Pan flute
Shawm
Viol

Rogar is proficient with at least 1 game(s). Check any games with which Rogar is proficient:
Dragon Chess
Three Dragon Ante
Board Game:
Card Game: Dice game:

Check any other tools with which Rogar is proficient:
Climber's kit
Disguise kit
Drive a truck
Fly a plane
Forgery kit
Healer's kit Herbalism kit
Navigator tools
Ride a mount
Sail a ship
Poisoner kit
Thieves' tools
Human
• Humans get +1 on each of the six ability scores (already included). If honor and/or sanity are ability scores, these are also increased by one.

• Humans learn one extra language.

Soldier
• Other military folks will defer to your rank.

• You know how to ride a horse.

• You are proficient with at least one kind of gaming set, mounts and land vehicles.

Fighter
• Most fighters are proficient in riding a mount.

• This fighter selected the archery fighting style, giving +2 to attack rolls with ranged weapons (thrown, missiles). Remember to add this if required.

• Second Wind: As an action, regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once per period between short rests.

• Level 2: Action surge -- use it to take an extra action on a turn. Must take a short rest before using again.

• Level 5: Extra attack on any round that includes an attack.

• Level 9: Indomitable -- once between long rests, can reroll a failed saving throw.

• Level 11: Two extra attacks per round.

• Level 13: Indomitable -- twice between long rests, can reroll a failed saving throw.

• Level 17: Two action surges between rests, but not on the same turn.

• Level 17: Indomitable -- three times between long rests, can reroll a failed saving throw.

• Level 20: Three extra attacks per round.

Champion Fighter (martial archetype)
• Level 3: Improved critical -- score in 19 or 20.

• Level 7: Remarkable athlete -- add half your proficiency bonus, rounded UP, to any strength, dexterity, or constitution check that does not already use your proficiency bonus. Running long jump adds your strength modifier number of feet to distance. If applicable, these show as ability modifiers.

• Level 10: You will choose an additional fighting style.
• Level 15: Superior critical -- 18-20.

• Level 18: Survivor -- at start of each turn, if at half hit points or below, regain 5 + constitution modifier hit points.

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Fighter 10

Hit Dice For Healing
Regain half with each long rest. Use as needed during long or short rests.

Death Saving Throws:
Successes
Failures
Rogar's Equipment:
93 lb

1 lb
2 lb

5 lb
7 lb

1 lb
20 lb
10 lb
1 lb
10 lb

5 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)

Arrows (quiver of 20) x 1
Crossbow bolts (quiver of 20) x 1

Backpack
Bedroll
Gaming set (cards) (proficient)
Gaming set (dice) (proficient)
Mess kit
Rations (1 day) x 10
Rope (50', hempen) x 1
Tinderbox
Torches x 10

Waterskins x 1
_____
155 lb
Total
Rogar's Personality Traits:
Rogar's Ideal(s):
Rogar's Bond(s):
Rogar's Flaw(s):
More about Rogar:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 24, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Here's the fighter that I've worked out. I'd appreciate any feedback on Rogar, especially as I was using the pathguy generator and it may have a bug in it.

Here is a nicer copy of the character sheet.

Honestly it may be better to just fill it out from the PHB when you get it rather than trying from that app since there's a lot of irrelevant info on it and it's not organized in the most helpful of ways.... plus you may get different ideas for your character or see a different class (or class path) that catches your eye instead. You can use one of these downloadable character sheets for a bit better representation of your character data too. There's form-fillable ones that you can edit and then put on dropbox/google docs/whatever too.

e:

Forever_Peace posted:

Awesome, edited the submission to reflect all of these things.

How's this?

Look alright? Made it use up a bonus action instead of full action because it has essentially no practical use aside from using up moves and opening up some fun roleplay opportunities. =P

I thought the random location would be fitting for the wildmage character but we can make it just an arm if you prefer for you characters not to partially undress themselves after combat occasionally.

That looks great. You may want to give it a higher chance of appearing somewhere 'normal' (arms, maybe legs?) vs. some of the random places just for quality of life though.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 24, 2015

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
And now that I finally have some time...
Miri Tallstag

Basic Details
Human Warlock, Age 21, 5’6 and 130lbs
Chaotic neutral, Speed 30’
Languages: Common, Elvish, Abyssal
Trinket: An ornate brooch of dwarven design

Character Stats
STR 10, DEX 10, 13 (+1), INT 14 (+2), WIS 15 (+2), CHA 16 (+3)

Skills: Arcana, Deception, History, Persuasion
Tool proficiencies: Dragonchess set
Class Feature: Warlock pact - Great Old One
Campaign class feature: Curse of the Pact - as a servant of Dendar, Miri now dreams nightmares that aren't her own. Miri will be able to remember them in excruciating detail (per discussion in PMs).
Background: Noble (feature: Position of Privilege)

Character Profile
Personality: My favor, once lost, is lost forever
Ideal: Independence. I don't need my family's help to make something of myself.
Bond: Nobody knows about the pact that I made
Flaw: "In fact, the world does revolve around me"
Campaign feat: War Caster

Magic
DC 13, spell attack bonus +5
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation
1st (2/2): Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers

Equipment
Light Crossbow: +4, 1d8+2 piercing
2 Daggers: +4, 1d4+2 piercing
Handaxe: +4, 1d6 slash
Dungeoneer's pack
Arcane focus
Leather armor

Background
As the fourth (and youngest) child and only daughter of a noble family of Aundair, Miri spent her life being groomed to one day become a suitable wife to be married off to whomever would best serve her family's interests. However, Miri was not the kind of girl who passively allowed life to happen to her. Miri decided she wanted to become powerful and influential under her own name and in her own right- rather than by simply marrying into someone else's.

Being the youngest child, her parents frequently left her to her own devices while nurturing and maintaining alliances with the houses of her various sisters-in-law. One day, on a day free from lessons in how to be a proper courtly lady, Miri decided to bury herself in the dusty tomes of the family library. One book stood out from the rest - it was bound in a leather she could not identify and was held closed by metal clasps. After much fiddling with the clasps, she finally beheld the contents of the tome. Much to her chagrin, it seemed like the ramblings of a gibbering madman. At points, she wasn't entirely certain that the author hadn't merely written the first letters and punctuation marks that came to mind. For some reason, though, she felt compelled to read the whole contents. She almost felt she wordlessly understood what she read.

As Miri slept that night, she dreamt a nightmare so vivid it felt she had simply manifested on another plane in the flesh. All around her was a sinister hissing sound. Determined to find the source, she began to walk. After walking for what seemed like hours, Miri came upon the largest serpent she had ever seen - and yet the serpent felt familiar. The serpent gazed at her, seeming to recognize her. For a split second, the two cautiously regarded each other. Before Miri could even open her mouth to attempt to speak to the serpent, a foul darkness enveloped her. She felt herself plummet for what seemed like a very brief eternity - she heard wails and screams. Horrifying visions assaulted her mind too quickly to understand. Suddenly, she landed on a cold, sticky floor with an unceremonious "whump." Upon regaining her bearings, she noticed the wall of the room was covered in a cold, black oozing substance - forming the words "READITREADITREADIT" endlessly on the walls, floor, and ceiling.

She awoke with a start, covered with cold sweat. Miri immediately knew - the strange book! She rushed into the library, thankful that nobody was awake at this hour. Miri found the book, tucked away exactly where she had left it. The clasps opened more easily than before. She opened the book and began to read. The words themselves had not changed, but somehow, the words translated perfectly into her mind. The book explained she had been chosen by Dendar herself - the devourer of nightmares. It explained that Miri could become more powerful than she imagined, with access to knowledge unknowable my most mortals. But the power and knowledge would come at a price. When Dendar would call upon her, she would be expected to obey. Miri's nightmares were now her own, and she would now share Dendar's burden of safekeeping others' horrifying visions and dreams. Miri pored over the book, which explained her newfound powers and alluded to secrets she would one day learn.

All that remained now was practice, and the right time to strike out on her quest to leave her mark.

What I was doing when the attack started: I was meeting and greeting with the villagers near the very tasty smelling food. When the villagers scattered, I picked up a handaxe someone dropped in a panic. It can't be THAT hard to kill something, can it?

(Sorry if this is too long, I got a bit into it with the writing :ohdear: )

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 26, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Since Elorin is a competent chef, I updated my profile to so that Bricklefon is a little less invested in travel and more invested in spices. Perhaps we were both talking about turmeric when the attack started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, here's my first pass. Lemme know what needs fixing up!

Kelsus of Pyrroh

Have you ever gotten lost? It’s frustrating, isn’t it? You get stuck, you look around, and things look just familiar enough that you think you know where you’re going, and then you turn a corner, and suddenly, you’re back to nothing being familiar, nothing looking right, nothing being quite correct. You’re somewhere different, certainly, but how do you know if you’ve gotten anywhere?

Kelsus was abandoned on the steps of the church, and was taken in by the monks there. He quickly proved that he had no talent for whatsoever for martial arts, much to the enjoyment of the young students who knocked over his food bowls and tripped him in the hallways. Thankfully, the monastery was not solely devoted to combat, and he soon found himself learning at the knee of Thomas Magnus, the great and widely published scholar whose reputation for theological… shall we say complexity? was only matched by the encyclopedic comprehensiveness and length of his treatises. The introduction of a small changeling boy to his studies only improved the Theory of Universal Light and Radiation in Being, and over the years Kelsus grew only more and more infatuated with the theory, lost deeper and deeper in its blinding implications.

But, as old men tend to do, Thomas passed away, leaving the 27 year old Kelsus the sole surviving interpreter of Thomas’ chickenscratch shorthand, and all the letters that had formerly been addressed to Thomas began to be addressed to him. Without the protection of Thomas, and with the prospect of checking out the “great outdoors” looking more and more attractive, Kelsus decided to accept the invitation to lecture at the University of Wynarn. The reception of the strange half-elf who seems to speak at length about nothing and everything for hour after hour has been, well, about what they were expecting. The academic priest of a war goddess? Well, at least the parts they can understand are interesting.

The outside world has proven utterly infatuating, and the promise of a local fair was irresistible. He took a few days off from lecturing to attend for anthropological reasons. It’s a good thing he didn’t leave all his things back at the inn!

quote:

Neutral Good Half-Elf Cleric of Dol Arrah
Domain: Light
Background: Hermit
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarf, Celestial

Level 1
HP 8
Hit dice: d8
Speed 30
Passive Perception: 20

Str 10
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 10
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 17 (+3)
Cha 12 (+1)

Skill Prof: Deception (+3), History (+4), Insight (+5), Medicine (+5), Perception, (+5), Religion (+4)
Tool Prof: Herbalist Kit

Spells:
3 Cantrips: Guidance, Sacred Flame (dex saving throw, 1d8 damage), Mending
2 Level 1
2 Domain Spells: Burning Hands, Faerie Fire.
Granted bonus Light cantrip via Domain
Spell Save DC (8 + Prof + Wis): 13
Spell Attack (Prof + Wis): +5

Warding Flare: At 1st level, you can interpose divine light between yourself and an attacking enemy. When you are attacked by a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll, causing light to flare before the attacker before it hits or misses. An attacker that can’t be blinded is immune to this feature.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Bonus Feat: Observant
Quick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it’s saying by reading its lips.
• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.

Background: Hermit
Ideal/Personality: Working on a grand unifying theory that will explain everything. Loves talking about it, whether it’s appropriate or not.
Bond: Still Seeking the spiritual enlightenment that eluded him.
Flaw: Now that he’s returned to the world, he’s enjoying it a little too much.
Feature: Knows the Secrets of the Sun, and who knows what else, hidden in Thomas Magnus’ writings. Details and usefulness controlled by DM.

Stuff: Mace (+2, d6), Light crossbow (+2, d8) + 20 bolts + quiver, Scale Mail (Ac 14 + Dex), Shield (+2), Priest’s Pack, Herbalism Kit, Holy Symbol, Scroll Case crammed with notes and drafts for articles, Common Clothes, Winter Blanket, 5 gp

I'll get it moved over onto an actual sheet soon. I had a fillable one crash on me once already this evening, and want to make sure I won't lose all my work again.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread