Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Look Around You posted:

That looks great. You may want to give it a higher chance of appearing somewhere 'normal' (arms, maybe legs?) vs. some of the random places just for quality of life though.

Cool, made the change, and added a truly excessive backstory in a narrative form I thought would be fun.

quote:

Since Elorin is a competent chef, I updated my profile to so that Bricklefon is a little less invested in travel and more invested in spices. Perhaps we were both talking about turmeric when the attack started?

Done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Alright, here's my first pass. Lemme know what needs fixing up!

Kelsus of Pyrroh
{awkward cleric}

I love this... for some reason I'm imagining the most awkward academic ever thrust into a world-changing... thing where they have to put some of their theories that into practice (some of them for the first time?) I mean you obviously don't have to play it like that, it's just what came to mind when I read it!

Melchiresa posted:

And now that I finally have some time...
Miri Tallstag
{NO YOU SHUT UP MOM: The Warlock}

This is pretty interesting too. It feels like your interactions with your family (how they view you/if you become estranged) and the other noble houses you know could end up helping (or hurting!) you/the party at various times.

Forever_Peace posted:

Cool, made the change, and added a truly excessive backstory in a narrative form I thought would be fun.

Done!

This whole thing is amazing. I love it!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 24, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Stupid Question of the Day: are we counting unarmed strikes as "weapons"?
I know the errata says 'no', I just wanted to clarify for the purposes of Rage requiring "a melee weapon attack using Strength"
Also, Stunning Strike :lol:

Might make a punchmans

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 24, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Look Around You:
I'm not sure you saw my comment/question farther up in the thread (it looks like we were pretty close to cross-posting, so you might not have gone back to what was before your post). Since I initially posed my question yesterday, I have had several more ideas for a potential character, and so I wanted some feedback before I commit to one specific option (other players are welcome to weigh in on my ideas as well, if you have strong opinions):

Option 1) A changeling rogue seems like a useful addition to the party, especially when it comes to the promised diplomacy and investigation. I like the notion of a low-level pickpocket working the crowd at the festival who turns into an accidental hero when people mistake his desperate bid for survival as selflessly defending the innocents. And by that point, he's caught up in the larger story...

Option 2) There seems to be a dearth of front-line melee types submitted, so a Dragonborn Paladin would be particularly useful -- especially against the horde of undead. Why he would pursue those responsible for the invasion is also pretty obvious. If I recall correctly, though, Dragonborn were not part of the 3rd Edition Eberron setting, though they did show up in the 4th Edition, so I wanted to make sure they were acceptable first.

Option 3) If some monster races are OK more generally (since goblinoids are "people" rather than "monsters" according to most inhabitants of Eberron), I'm kind of partial to a goblin artificer. For racial stats and abilities, I could just re-skin gnome or halfling, and I can certainly come up with good reasons why a goblin would happen to be present at the fair (selling his wares?). So the only problem I see (unless you just don't want non-standard races at all) is that there are already lots of spellcaster-types that have been submitted. In the earlier editions, Artificers were more melee-capable, but in the latest version they've been reduced to a subset of Wizard. That seems to go against the fluff of what artificers were all about originally, but we could perhaps cobble together something different for the class in general. Or if you're actually OK with yet another arcane spellcaster, then I won't worry about trying to modify the Artificer.

Option 4) Similar to 3, and probably my favorite working idea so far, is a hobgoblin bard in the tradition of the Darguun Dirge Singers (appearing in both the 3E and 4E Eberron books). For racial stats and abilities, I could just re-skin a half-orc, or use one of the numerous (often very similar) homebrew options:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4111421
http://www.tabletopping.net/dd-5e-races.html
http://hedgegm.blogspot.hu/2014/12/d-5th-edition-goblinoid-player-races.html
http://www.farlandworld.com/intro.html#hobgoblin
http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-next-general-discussion/threads/4025156
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373850-Playable-goblinoids
As mentioned by others, a combat/healing-capable bard would certainly be a useful party member. And as far as backstory goes, since there are ruins of the ancient goblin civilization all over the continent, it makes sense that the leader of her Clan would send out some low-level underlings to random places (like Bluevine) try to track down lost artifacts -- in fact, that is explicitly mentioned in the book as a goal of one of the hobgoblin clans. Alternately, this character could be a complete novice merely accompanying someone else (say, her mother, who is already an accomplished Dirge Singer and diplomat). Given their penchant for chasing after glorious battle, it's entirely possible that the more experienced Hobgoblin would wade into the Walking Dead mob and get killed, leaving her inexperienced daughter to pick up the pieces and plot revenge against whoever is behind the invasion.

Do any of these ideas sound particularly compelling to you? Alternately, are there any that you would flat-out veto?
And finally, do you have a deadline when are you looking to close recruitment and make your choices?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of a 'diplomat' who is actually a spy from a neighboring nation (who, while lying about his identity, is not actually antagonistic to the rest of the party)

Maybe a rogue?

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Around You posted:

Honestly it may be better to just fill it out from the PHB when you get it rather than trying from that app since there's a lot of irrelevant info on it and it's not organized in the most helpful of ways.... plus you may get different ideas for your character or see a different class (or class path) that catches your eye instead. You can use one of these downloadable character sheets for a bit better representation of your character data too. There's form-fillable ones that you can edit and then put on dropbox/google docs/whatever too.
Okay I got the book last night and was kind of using it to generate something with that app, but yeah I was kind of confused some of the extra stuff it generated and this was only using the book for a quick class with a quick build. I should have a lot of extra time today to work on it. I'll just bring the PHB with me and some blank print outs of the character sheet. Does anyone know a good Android app for filling out pdf files? I don't recall if the standard Adobe app allows it. If I can do that on my tablet I should have you one by this evening at the latest.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Look Around You posted:

I love this... for some reason I'm imagining the most awkward academic ever thrust into a world-changing... thing where they have to put some of their theories that into practice (some of them for the first time?) I mean you obviously don't have to play it like that, it's just what came to mind when I read it!

That's pretty much what I was going for, yeah. Glad you liked!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Look Around You:
I'm not sure you saw my comment/question farther up in the thread (it looks like we were pretty close to cross-posting, so you might not have gone back to what was before your post). Since I initially posed my question yesterday, I have had several more ideas for a potential character, and so I wanted some feedback before I commit to one specific option (other players are welcome to weigh in on my ideas as well, if you have strong opinions):
Yeah, I didn't see it. sorry!

quote:

Option 1) A changeling rogue seems like a useful addition to the party, especially when it comes to the promised diplomacy and investigation. I like the notion of a low-level pickpocket working the crowd at the festival who turns into an accidental hero when people mistake his desperate bid for survival as selflessly defending the innocents. And by that point, he's caught up in the larger story...

This could work

quote:

Option 2) There seems to be a dearth of front-line melee types submitted, so a Dragonborn Paladin would be particularly useful -- especially against the horde of undead. Why he would pursue those responsible for the invasion is also pretty obvious. If I recall correctly, though, Dragonborn were not part of the 3rd Edition Eberron setting, though they did show up in the 4th Edition, so I wanted to make sure they were acceptable first.
I feel like a Paladin would be pretty helpful, but I'm not certain about Dragonborn as a PC race; I don't have the 4e book and, at least according to the 3e version, dragons are very aloof and not particularly involved in the world they way they are in Forgotten Realms/Greyhawk/etc. It seems a bit hard to mesh in with the rest of the world since they'd mostly likely be a lot less common than the other settings.

quote:

Option 3) If some monster races are OK more generally (since goblinoids are "people" rather than "monsters" according to most inhabitants of Eberron), I'm kind of partial to a goblin artificer. For racial stats and abilities, I could just re-skin gnome or halfling, and I can certainly come up with good reasons why a goblin would happen to be present at the fair (selling his wares?). So the only problem I see (unless you just don't want non-standard races at all) is that there are already lots of spellcaster-types that have been submitted. In the earlier editions, Artificers were more melee-capable, but in the latest version they've been reduced to a subset of Wizard. That seems to go against the fluff of what artificers were all about originally, but we could perhaps cobble together something different for the class in general. Or if you're actually OK with yet another arcane spellcaster, then I won't worry about trying to modify the Artificer.
Goblins/hobgoblins seem ok to me (reskins of PHB races seem like they'd be a fair way to work them in), and an Artificer seems interesting. I don't mind more than one arcane caster if they're balanced out by the other main class types (skill/front line... also Warlock seems to be less of a true caster and more of an actual combat class, at least to me)

quote:

Option 4) Similar to 3, and probably my favorite working idea so far, is a hobgoblin bard in the tradition of the Darguun Dirge Singers (appearing in both the 3E and 4E Eberron books). For racial stats and abilities, I could just re-skin a half-orc, or use one of the numerous (often very similar) homebrew options:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4111421
http://www.tabletopping.net/dd-5e-races.html
http://hedgegm.blogspot.hu/2014/12/d-5th-edition-goblinoid-player-races.html
http://www.farlandworld.com/intro.html#hobgoblin
http://community.wizards.com/forum/dd-next-general-discussion/threads/4025156
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373850-Playable-goblinoids
As mentioned by others, a combat/healing-capable bard would certainly be a useful party member. And as far as backstory goes, since there are ruins of the ancient goblin civilization all over the continent, it makes sense that the leader of her Clan would send out some low-level underlings to random places (like Bluevine) try to track down lost artifacts -- in fact, that is explicitly mentioned in the book as a goal of one of the hobgoblin clans. Alternately, this character could be a complete novice merely accompanying someone else (say, her mother, who is already an accomplished Dirge Singer and diplomat). Given their penchant for chasing after glorious battle, it's entirely possible that the more experienced Hobgoblin would wade into the Walking Dead mob and get killed, leaving her inexperienced daughter to pick up the pieces and plot revenge against whoever is behind the invasion.
This seems really interesting too.

quote:

Do any of these ideas sound particularly compelling to you? Alternately, are there any that you would flat-out veto?
And finally, do you have a deadline when are you looking to close recruitment and make your choices?

3 and 4 seem the most compelling, while 2 seems the most generally useful; it's up to you honestly since they could all work with the setting (except probably a different race for 2). Just pointing out that there's a few rogue apps so far (though to be fair one seems more fight-y than skill-y), plus another bard app, while (like you said) there's not a lot of actual front-line class apps.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm thinking of a 'diplomat' who is actually a spy from a neighboring nation (who, while lying about his identity, is not actually antagonistic to the rest of the party)

Maybe a rogue?

This could mesh with the campaign, though we have a lot of skill-ish apps (rogues and bards), which I guess is natural with a strong intrigue component.

P.d0t posted:

Stupid Question of the Day: are we counting unarmed strikes as "weapons"?
I know the errata says 'no', I just wanted to clarify for the purposes of Rage requiring "a melee weapon attack using Strength"
Also, Stunning Strike :lol:

Might make a punchmans

Were you thinking this in context of a monk-barbarian hybrid (for the unarmed damage)? If so, I don't see why a monks unarmed attacks couldn't count as weapons since like half the point of a monk is to act like you're loving jackie chan. Or did you have something else in mind to work out?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Oh poo poo I forgot to set a deadline for apps... how about SATURDAY 11:59pm EST

e: sunday -> saturday

e2: right now there's like no actual front-line fighter-type apps, so it may be a good idea to roll one of them.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 24, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Around You posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to set a deadline for apps... how about SATURDAY 11:59pm EST

e: sunday -> saturday

e2: right now there's like no actual front-line fighter-type apps, so it may be a good idea to roll one of them.

So mêlée focused (vs archer) fighter, right? I can do that. I'll have the app in tonight.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Were you thinking this in context of a monk-barbarian hybrid (for the unarmed damage)? If so, I don't see why a monks unarmed attacks couldn't count as weapons since like half the point of a monk is to act like you're loving jackie chan. Or did you have something else in mind to work out?

This is it exactly; if unarmed = weapons, then there's some synergy there. If not, I can just dump STR and go straight monk.
Expect a monk here sometime late tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ok, here's the count of full apps in the thread:

Bard: 1: Werewhale[Valor?]
Cleric: 1: Toph Bei Fong[Light]
Rogue: 1: Haschel Cedricson[Swashbuckler(->battlemaster?)]
Sorcerer: 1: Forever_Peace[Wild]
Warlock: 1: Melchiresa[Great Old One]

Notably missing is a front-line warrior (as mentioned before), and I think both of the skill-class apps are focused more on combat than subterfuge. Other than that, I'm planning on taking 6 so a redundant class won't necessarily be get passed over if all bases are covered and it's a strong app.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Was thinking about possibly making a Moon Druid, which would be rather front line once it reached second level, but it would not be all that great at melee during 1st level. Might have some other ideas if you need something combat capable at 1st level.

Actually, I might build a Barbarian who multiclasses into Druid.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is the character sheet for Rogar who is a Fighter Soldier. I'll get started on the backstory now. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Should have an app completed by tomorrow morning but I'll post the sheet now so there's time to fix any issues also trinket roll is 82.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Here is the character sheet for Rogar who is a Fighter Soldier. I'll get started on the backstory now. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

On a quick look, you need to redo your ability scores; we're using either standard array (15,14,13,12,10,9 8) or point buy (PHB p.13) for before you apply racial bonuses (which is +1 to all for a standard human). There's also a couple places you're missing modifiers (notably your DEX mod for your AC, but that may change when you bump your stats down to standard array/point buy).

If you're going to be a Fighter, you need to pick a Fighting Style (PHB p.72). You'll also need to pick a Feat from chapter 6 (PHB p165-170), since we're using a house rule where every character starts with a Feat at level 1.

e: standard array is 15,14,13,12,10,8, not {...10,9}

e2: misread armor description, you're right on that... sorry!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 25, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Unless the sheet has changed since you posted that they don't get a Dex bonus to AC because they are wearing heavy armor.

Definitely couldn't find a feat, hopefully everyone realized that we are starting with a feat at 1st level. Depending on point buy a human could potentially have a 17 str if they put a 15 in it, then +1 from human then another +1 from one of the few feats that actually could add to it. But really it is difficult to pull off.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Unless the sheet has changed since you posted that they don't get a Dex bonus to AC because they are wearing heavy armor.

Definitely couldn't find a feat, hopefully everyone realized that we are starting with a feat at 1st level. Depending on point buy a human could potentially have a 17 str if they put a 15 in it, then +1 from human then another +1 from one of the few feats that actually could add to it. But really it is difficult to pull off.

I mean yeah that's possible but I'm not sure there's a way to get 17, 13, 16, 12, 12, 14 from standard array or point buy even with full +1s unless there's a feat there that I'm not seeing.

Good catch on the armor though, I definitely misread that there.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah no that stat array is crazy.

I mean I am looking at 10, 12, 16, 10, 18, 10 with a Half-Elf, using the houserule to switch which stat gets the +2, and using a feat that adds a +1 to the same stat. And while technically the human gets a total of +2 more bonuses it is not going to swing things that much. That 18 is one higher than the 17, but the half-elf actually has an actual +2 to a stat. The 16 is equal, but a 14 isn't going to be possible, let alone an additional 13 and a bunch of 12s.

So in short, no idea how they got those stats.

Also what is your opinion on a excel like google document for a sheet? It is nice because after working on someone else's it now can auto calculate some things for me and automatically puts in the values for skills.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah no that stat array is crazy.

I mean I am looking at 10, 12, 16, 10, 18, 10 with a Half-Elf, using the houserule to switch which stat gets the +2, and using a feat that adds a +1 to the same stat. And while technically the human gets a total of +2 more bonuses it is not going to swing things that much. That 18 is one higher than the 17, but the half-elf actually has an actual +2 to a stat. The 16 is equal, but a 14 isn't going to be possible, let alone an additional 13 and a bunch of 12s.

So in short, no idea how they got those stats.
It looks like he just used the (4d6 - lowest) method, which honestly isn't necessarily bad for IRL groups, but there's no way I'd use anything but standard array/point buy in a PbP.

quote:

Also what is your opinion on a excel like google document for a sheet? It is nice because after working on someone else's it now can auto calculate some things for me and automatically puts in the values for skills.
Honestly as long as it has all of the relevant info and it's presented in a somewhat coherent manner it doesn't really matter to me if you're using an "official" sheet or not.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Ryuujin posted:

Definitely couldn't find a feat, hopefully everyone realized that we are starting with a feat at 1st level.

I did not realize this; where was this announced?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I did not realize this; where was this announced?

Like halfway down the first page and not in the OP until like just now because I'm dumb and forgot!

e: it was one of those "someone mentioned this to bring up a shortcoming in 5e" and it made a lot of sense but I kinda forgot to c/p it. Sorry :(

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

the masked man (sheet)
Mountain Dwarf, Barbarian (soon to be Monk, maybe)

"Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask..."

As with any war, the Last War created many prisoners. Usually there are exchanges made, and many of them are set free; not this one. The fact that he was even taken alive was hard to believe. Some said that getting caught was part of his plan.

On this day, he and a few other prisoners still in captivity were on display for the masses to examine, like a caged tiger in a zoo. Then, all hell broke loose.

STR 14 (12+2 racial)
DEX 14
CON 18 (15+2 racial+1 feat)
INT 08
WIS 14
CHA 08

Feat: Tavern Brawler

Gonna reskin all my melee weapons as Fisticuffs.
I start with a bunch of other equipment, but I'm gonna just assume/fluff it as looting those off corpses when the poo poo hits the fan.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Ra'ana Dhakaan, Female Hobgoblin Bard

You talkin' to me?

Abilities: (15+1, 14+2, 13->12, 12, 10, 8->9)
STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 10 (-)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 9 (-1)
CHA: 16 (+3)

HP: 27
AC: 13

Background: Outlander (Tribal Nomad Origin)
Feature: Wanderer: You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.
Personality Trait: I love a good insult, even one directed at me.
Personality Trait: I change my mood as quickly as I change key in a song.
Bond: Kech Volaar! My tribe is my life, my life is my tribe. Though I might be a continent apart from my brothers and sisters, I will never forget this.
Flaw: For Glory! I will do anything to recapture the lost glory of the Dhakaan Empire, or, failing that, I will die gloriously in battle amidst a pile of corpses of my foes!
Flaw: Revenge! I will do anything to see that those responsible for the death of my beloved mother die slowly and horribly, begging for mercy and receiving none.
Ideal: Tradition! The stories, legends, and songs of the past must never be forgotten, for they teach us who we are. (Lawful)

A traditional hobgoblin

Alignment: Lawful Evil
I don't think the "Evil" part will be an issue, since her own goals coincide (more or less) with those of the "Good" side. But I could change this to Lawful Neutral if necessary.
Height: 6'8" (Size: Medium)
Weight: 230 Lb.
Speed: 30'

Level: 3
XP: 900
Hero Points: 2

Proficiency Bonus: +2
Weapon & Armor Proficiencies: Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Martial Weapons
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation*, Perception*, Survival (* denotes Expertise)
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Dexterity, Charisma
Tool Proficiencies: Drums, Horn, Pipes, Singing

Languages: Common, Goblin, Elvish

Hobgoblin Racial Traits (Reskinned Half-Orc, except with different Ability Bonuses):
+2 Constitution, +1 Charisma

I'm Sexy and I Know It!

Darkvision: Can see in low-light conditions to 60'
Menacing: Intimidation Skill Proficiency
Relentless Endurance: When reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, drop to 1 hit point instead (Usable once per long rest).
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Bard Class Traits:
Bardic Inspiration: You can inspire others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Bardic Inspiration die, a d6. Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Jack of All Trades: Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.

Song of Rest: Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points.

Expertise: At 3rd level, choose two of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

College of Valor: Bards of the College of Valor are daring skalds whose tales keep alive the memory of the great heroes of the past, and thereby inspire a new generation of heroes. These bards gather in mead halls or around great bonfires to sing the deeds of the mighty, both past and present. They travel the land to witness great events first hand and to ensure that the memory of those events doesn’t pass from the world. With their songs, they inspire others to reach the same heights of accomplishment as the heroes of old.
* Bonus Proficiencies: When you join the College of Valor at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
* Combat Inspiration: Also at 3rd level, you learn to inspire others in battle. A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll itjust made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.

Spellcasting:
- Cantrips Known (2): Blade Ward, Vicious Mockery
- Spells Known (6):
* Level 1: Healing Word, Dissonant Whispers, Heroism, Sleep, Thunderwave
* Level 2: (Detect Thoughts? Invisibility? Phantasmal Force? Shatter? Suggestion?)
- Spell Slots: 4 @ 1st Level, 2 @ 2nd Level
- Spell Save DC: 13
- Spell Attack Modifier: +5

Bonus Feat:
War Caster: You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
• You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
• When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

Equipment:
Longsword
Spear
Dagger x2
Chain Shirt
Diplomat's Pack: chest, 2 cases for maps & scrolls, set of fine clothes, bottle of ink, ink pen, lamp, 2 flasks of oil, 5 sheets of paper, vial of perfume, sealing wax, soap
Drums
Backpack
Staff
Hunting Trap
Trophy from a creature I killed: Trollhide drumskins
Set of Traveler's Clothes
Pouch with 5 GP
Trinket: An indecipherable treasure map, presumably leading to some ancient relic of the long-lost Dakhaani Empire

Now that she has reached the age of adulthood by the traditions of the Dhakaani, Ra'ana accompanies her mother, Ru'ula Dhakaani, on her travels throughout the lands that were formerly part of the Dhakaani Empire (more commonly known now as Khorvaire). Ru'ula is an accomplished Dirge Singer of the Kech Volaar tribe, and as such, she serves as a diplomat, representing to the outside world the wishes and commands of their leader Tuura Dhakaan and her warlord Kurac Thaar. But her true goals are far more important than trade negotiations or the like: seeking to unite the Goblin races and restore the Dhakaani to its former glory, Tuura has sent out agents like Ru'ula to acquire ancient and powerful relics of their long-lost Empire. And so, a wide-eyed Ra'ana finds herself alongside her mother, three kingdoms away from home, in the middle of the human settlement of Bluevine, during one of their celebrations of what passes for martial valor among their kind. While the humans parading around in mail are clearly wanting for truly rigorous discipline, at least the music has the interesting combination of both novelty and nostalgia -- though, Ra'ana has never seen a Metal Soldier, nor an instrument quite like what he plays, the sound nevertheless reminds her of the not-altogether-unpleasant piteous squeals of goblin slaves being beaten.

And then an entirely different sound reaches her ears: the sound of death and battle. Within a heartbeat, her mother is on her feet with her spear raised. Seeing the advancing undead horde and the chaos among the surprised populace (even -- no, especially -- the militiamen), Ru'ula narrows her eyes and bares her tusks. Speaking hastily to her daughter, she declares, "These incompetent humans will be slaughtered, and we along with them, if they do not have someone to lead them and re-establish their battle formations." Pressing the spear into Ra'ana's hands and taking up her war-drums, she adds, "Fight only as you must, Ra'ana; I will see you when the battle is won -- or in Glory alongside our departed ancestors!"

And then, bellowing a great Dhakaani battle-cry and pounding her drum fiercely, Ra'ana's mother charges toward the rapidly deteriorating Aundarian defensive lines and the swiftly advancing enemy beyond. Far too proud to heed her mother's words of caution, Ra'ana first seeks to follow in her wake, but before she gets ten strides, a hideous skeletal form arises from the ground and blocks her path, forcing her back against an already-burning festival tent. Wild-eyed, she stabs out at the corpse-creature...

Edit: Advanced to 2nd Level on 2015-09-07.
Swapped leather armor for studded leather on 2015-10-12.
Advanced to 3rd Level on 2016-03-14.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 19, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Some follow-up questions:
1) Are the Hobgoblin Racial Traits OK? Commanding basically substitutes for the Half-Orc's Menacing (Intimidation Skill Proficiency), so if I revert back to the original, I would be less powerful at Intimidation but I would then have a free Skill slot for something else (Insight?). The link to the Homebrew Hobgoblin has other traits besides the Half-Orc's Relentless Endurance, but the original form of that seemed just fine (and far less complicated) to me. The biggest departure is Always Prepared (Initiative Proficiency) and Natural Athlete (Athletics Advantage) instead of Savage Attacks (+Damage die to critical hits, which is sort of compensated for by Commanding anyway). I'm obviously happy with how things stand currently, but am also willing to mix and match if you want.

2) I can't think of a fourth instrument that is suitable for a goblinoid...can "Voice" be an Instrument at which I am proficient, or is that covered by the Performance Skill instead? Do I actually even need Perform if I am going to be relying on one or more of my instruments, since I get proficiency bonus from the tools? Or does that bonus stack with the skill proficiency bonus if I use them together?
If "Voice" is out, I think I'll just go with something like Harp instead, solely for the humorous imagery of a six-and-a-half-foot tall green-skinned saber-toothed monster serenely strumming that most refined and courtly of instruments.

3) Cure Wounds or Healing Word? The former is more powerful, and since I have combat-focused racial traits, the War Caster Feat, and a decent Constitution (not to mention a fluff-based keenness for battle), I expect to be wading into the thick of the fighting in general, so the "Touch" range for CW is not really a big drawback. Then again, with Healing Word I can still attack in the same round, yes?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Around You posted:

On a quick look, you need to redo your ability scores; we're using either standard array (15,14,13,12,10,9 8) or point buy (PHB p.13) for before you apply racial bonuses (which is +1 to all for a standard human). There's also a couple places you're missing modifiers (notably your DEX mod for your AC, but that may change when you bump your stats down to standard array/point buy).

If you're going to be a Fighter, you need to pick a Fighting Style (PHB p.72). You'll also need to pick a Feat from chapter 6 (PHB p165-170), since we're using a house rule where every character starts with a Feat at level 1.

e: standard array is 15,14,13,12,10,8, not {...10,9}

e2: misread armor description, you're right on that... sorry!

Sorry about that I'll rework it. I think I know the problem, but perhaps it's best to use the standard array for the moment...to prevent stupid things. Sorry about feats I missed that. I thought fighting style was mentioned possibly that was on the second page that I didn't upload.

How many points does point buy use? I was using 27 which I thought was the standard. That might explain why.

Perhaps I need to watch a tutorial for character creation too. :downs:

Thanks for all the help and advice.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gfanikf posted:

How many points does point buy use? I was using 27 which I thought was the standard. That might explain why.

You get 27pts, but it's not at a 1:1 ratio.

Score costs are:
    8 = 0pts
    9 = 1pt
    10 = 2pts
    11 = 3pts
    12 = 4pts
    13 = 5pts
    14 = 7pts
    15 = 9pts

Caps out at 15, btw, before racial mods.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
App should be finished now sheets the same but now it comes with a backround also Vaunea will be trying to find a quiet place to rest for a bit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P.d0t posted:

You get 27pts, but it's not at a 1:1 ratio.

Score costs are:
    8 = 0pts
    9 = 1pt
    10 = 2pts
    11 = 3pts
    12 = 4pts
    13 = 5pts
    14 = 7pts
    15 = 9pts

Caps out at 15, btw, before racial mods.

That might explain what happened I think the tools I used aren't capped with that in mind. Well I can just fix the stats and recalculate the attributes.

Thank you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I think I finally got all the stats figured out and feats and other info is on the second page.

Here is the main stats info. Here is the second page which lists all the extra info and fighting class.

So did I finally get it right?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Some follow-up questions:
1) Are the Hobgoblin Racial Traits OK? Commanding basically substitutes for the Half-Orc's Menacing (Intimidation Skill Proficiency), so if I revert back to the original, I would be less powerful at Intimidation but I would then have a free Skill slot for something else (Insight?). The link to the Homebrew Hobgoblin has other traits besides the Half-Orc's Relentless Endurance, but the original form of that seemed just fine (and far less complicated) to me. The biggest departure is Always Prepared (Initiative Proficiency) and Natural Athlete (Athletics Advantage) instead of Savage Attacks (+Damage die to critical hits, which is sort of compensated for by Commanding anyway). I'm obviously happy with how things stand currently, but am also willing to mix and match if you want.
IMost of them look alright, but I don't really like Natural Athlete being full on advantage to all checks; other races have mechanics that give them advantage on certain checks, but they're a lot more narrow (adv. on saving throws vs poison [dwarf]/vs sleep [elf]). I think that just adding a proficiency would be more fair than a natural advantage full stop. Commanding Presence is also a bit concerning to me for the same reason.

* the caveat here is that I've never actually run a 5e game so I don't know how balanced/unbalanced it'd be, but I feel like having an auto advantage full stop on all rolls for two skills is a bit unbalanced compared to other races' abilities, which are either free proficiencies or advantage on a narrow subset of checks (and most/all of them are saving throws).

quote:

2) I can't think of a fourth instrument that is suitable for a goblinoid...can "Voice" be an Instrument at which I am proficient, or is that covered by the Performance Skill instead? Do I actually even need Perform if I am going to be relying on one or more of my instruments, since I get proficiency bonus from the tools? Or does that bonus stack with the skill proficiency bonus if I use them together?
If "Voice" is out, I think I'll just go with something like Harp instead, solely for the humorous imagery of a six-and-a-half-foot tall green-skinned saber-toothed monster serenely strumming that most refined and courtly of instruments.
Honestly voice (singing) doesn't feel out of place. I would say that you don't need perform, since it's made redundant via instrument proficiencies.

quote:

3) Cure Wounds or Healing Word? The former is more powerful, and since I have combat-focused racial traits, the War Caster Feat, and a decent Constitution (not to mention a fluff-based keenness for battle), I expect to be wading into the thick of the fighting in general, so the "Touch" range for CW is not really a big drawback. Then again, with Healing Word I can still attack in the same round, yes?
Healing word is a bonus action, so yeah you'd be able to attack in the same round. It's also got a 60ft range. Cure Wounds is touch and requires a normal action to cast (so no same round attacks), but can (potentially) heal twice as many HP as Healing Word ([spell level]d8+ability vs [spell level]d4+ability). Healing word seems more useful as a band-aid/pick me up for characters knocked to 0, especially since you don't need to get next to them (and since you can keep your regular action), while cure wounds has significantly more throughput.

Caveat again that I haven't run 5e but Healing Word definitely seems to be more practical than Cure Wounds does at face value (honestly I'm questioning their design choices between those spells; bonus action + range seems like it'd win any day of the week, even with less throughput)

e: sorry for taking so long to reply, I just got off work a little bit ago

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 25, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So are my stats okay? Just wanted to know before I write my background. I figure if my stats still stuck I should bow out and watch a bunch or tutorials. :downs:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Here is a point buy calculator though it does allow one to input stats of up to 18, if you limit what you place to no higher than 15 it should work, and tells you how many points you have spent so far.

As for the Hobgoblin. Goliath are all about Athletics, and get a feature called Natural Athlete, but that feature grants proficiency in Athletics.

I don't believe there is anything with Proficiency in Initiative, though I don't see why something couldn't have it.

That said that Hobgoblin is uh, wow. That has a lot of stuff that Hobgoblins don't have and it is just straight up powerful. At least compared to the other races that might get proficiency in one skill, or advantage in a few applications of a skill. The half-elf does get 2 skill proficiencies, but it also doesn't get advantage on anything. This basically gets 3 "skill" proficiencies and advantage in two of them.

Looking at the Monster Manual the Hobgoblin gets Darkvision and uh 2 dice of sneak attack. Not sure if a race in 5e should grant sneak attack, but that is about the only thing they have other than darkvision.

The Dungeon Master Guide section on a building a monster for Hobgoblin lists no stat adjustments, which is terrible for a PC so we will ignore that. Then it grants Martial Advantage; darkvision 60ft.; speaks Common and Goblin. That seems kind of limited for a race's features, but some races have very few features and well Martial Advantage might be too powerful at early levels anyway.

Of course all of this reminds me of the Dragon Class someone on RPGnet made as a homebrew, which seems relatively balanced even if the strength can go real high, but it suffers from other things like needing to spend all the stat adjustments on increasing strength to take advantage of that feature, and having only 2 skills instead of getting 2 skills from class, 2 from background and possibly some from race. Also Dragon's are really not appropriate for Eberron, for reasons.

But yeah no race has more than plus one Proficiency in a specific skill, advantage in specific situations with a specific skill, or in the case of half-elves two skill proficiency picks.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gfanikf posted:

So are my stats okay? Just wanted to know before I write my background. I figure if my stats still stuck I should bow out and watch a bunch or tutorials. :downs:

Yeah, they look good now!

---

Question: do you guys feel like you need another day for apps? I bumped it up because I'm off tomorrow and wanted an off day to check stuff out (When I first set it I'd thought I was off monday). I can slide it back to tomorrow night if you guys feel you need it.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Here is a point buy calculator though it does allow one to input stats of up to 18, if you limit what you place to no higher than 15 it should work, and tells you how many points you have spent so far.

As for the Hobgoblin. Goliath are all about Athletics, and get a feature called Natural Athlete, but that feature grants proficiency in Athletics.

I don't believe there is anything with Proficiency in Initiative, though I don't see why something couldn't have it.

That said that Hobgoblin is uh, wow. That has a lot of stuff that Hobgoblins don't have and it is just straight up powerful. At least compared to the other races that might get proficiency in one skill, or advantage in a few applications of a skill. The half-elf does get 2 skill proficiencies, but it also doesn't get advantage on anything. This basically gets 3 "skill" proficiencies and advantage in two of them.

Looking at the Monster Manual the Hobgoblin gets Darkvision and uh 2 dice of sneak attack. Not sure if a race in 5e should grant sneak attack, but that is about the only thing they have other than darkvision.

The Dungeon Master Guide section on a building a monster for Hobgoblin lists no stat adjustments, which is terrible for a PC so we will ignore that. Then it grants Martial Advantage; darkvision 60ft.; speaks Common and Goblin. That seems kind of limited for a race's features, but some races have very few features and well Martial Advantage might be too powerful at early levels anyway.

Of course all of this reminds me of the Dragon Class someone on RPGnet made as a homebrew, which seems relatively balanced even if the strength can go real high, but it suffers from other things like needing to spend all the stat adjustments on increasing strength to take advantage of that feature, and having only 2 skills instead of getting 2 skills from class, 2 from background and possibly some from race. Also Dragon's are really not appropriate for Eberron, for reasons.

But yeah no race has more than plus one Proficiency in a specific skill, advantage in specific situations with a specific skill, or in the case of half-elves two skill proficiency picks.

Yeah that whole race proposal seems very broken. I would feel more comfortable with a half-orc reskin at this point because martial advantage has a pretty decent chance of throwing combat out of balance (there also is no number provided in the book for the amount it's supposed to add)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah regular hoboglin gets 2d6 and the better hobgoblin gets 3d6, either seems way powerful once per turn at 1st level. That is like a 3rd level rogue, or 5th for the better hobgoblin.

I am still working on a character.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I've got a mostly finished character. Paladins of the Silver Flame can still be members of a House, right? Working on converting him over now.

odinson fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

odinson posted:

I've got a mostly finished character. Paladins of the Silver Flame can still be members of a House, right? Working on converting him over now.

There's nothing that says they can't be. Just keep in mind that Dragonmarked Houses (and by extension, their members) typically need "make a show" to appear neutral between countries so they (the houses) can operate in all countries in peace or war, which may influence some roleplaying situations in different contexts (presenting as a member of the house vs. paladin of silver flame or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Cool thanks. The D&D Online MMO I used to play was set in Eberron, so reading through the campaign book now is bringing some of it back to me.

• Locked thread