Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

quote:

SHORT-TEMPERED HUMAN ROGUE FROM A SLEEPY HARBOUR TOWN WHO USED TO WORK AS A TAVERN BOUNCER

Emile, human urchin from Stormhome

Raised by cats rats and strays, sleeping in stables and barrels, a sometimes stowaway. She holds two treasures, evidence of her unknown parents: a silver box inscribed with the word Dreams, in Quor, and an eyepatch that covers her bad side: the one with a wrong colored iris and what might be an old burn scar, or a birthmark. One night like any other she sat in the alley making bets with her menagerie about the fates of each patron entering the nearby tavern. "That one's a teetotaler; that's a pickpocket who ain't really drunk; big guy won't tip--" a dog barks, "Yeah, the little guy wants to start a fight," he pants and cocks his head, "Why? Probably has a friend to carry him out so they don't have to pay."

Later, after some commotion, out came the teetotaler, who'd overheard the beggar's predictions and thought they were worth the rest of the bottle. Turns out the little guy ordered it to share with her, got shut down, then escaped all according to her prediction, sticking her with the bill. "Least that's all the little jerk stuck you with." No reaction. "Sorry. And thanks..." "Anita."

Emile dumped the coins out of her wooden begging bowl to make room for the wine, and offered her pets a sniff. Tails wagged. "Grapes are poison to them, but that doesn't mean they can't still tell this is the good stuff, for sharing and savoring." Indeed, too good for wood. Out came the silver box, sipped from like a tastevin. They conversed about people's tells and how it was a shame pets weren't practical for the road. Halfway through a one-sided explanation of how the weather magic could make better wine if everyone was willing to suffer a little more, Emile's cat stopped purring and leapt out of Anita's lap. She slumped over. Poisoned. That's Stormhome for you, a city of spies and whispers.

The beggar pooled her funds and put the stranger up in the stable that night. She turned out to be a kalashtar who talked in her sleep, telepathically, about secret wars and darkness and nightmares. Somehow, Emile dozed off standing guard until her dog roused her--the big guy and little man had come. There was a fight. Five defeated two, but there were losses. Only Mouse went to sleep on purpose that night. Anita woke up first, found the beggar still lived, washed her, and booked them both on a sea voyage, where no assassins could reach them.

It was a long one, but there was a lot to learn. The kalashtar taught the beggar how to fight, to speak her language, Quor, and how to walk the shadows while devoted to the Path of Light. She was converted.

When the round trip ended, they parted ways. Emile backslid at first, returning to begging and befriending more strays. She missed that wine though, so she walked into that tavern and made a bet with the proprietor about patrons. Not for coin, for a job. A week later, she could afford a bottle of the good stuff. When the tavern went quiet and the door was locked, she poured herself her first silver boxful. Two men covered in scars walked through the door, one nocked an arrow and shot it out of her hand. She whistled for the strays. None came but Mouse, who was already there in her pocket. The other man threw two severed collars on the ground and asked about Anita. There was another fight. One defeated two, but there were losses. The tavern burned to the ground, with all the wine. Mouse saved the silver box, at least.

Emile jumped on the first ship to Passage, as far away as possible on short notice. Before she could even start over, people were looking for her. She took the lightning rail to Marketplace. They were on the train. She had to jump for it not far from Ghalt. Small town, great wine. The people didn't care for drifters with eyepatches and pet vermin though, so Emile bought a mule and left on a caravan heading North before things got too hot.

First stop, Bluevine, no one would find her there. She'd just lie low, blend in... Naturally, there was a huge festival going on when she arrived. Everyone meeting and greeting. Emile kept hidden in the trees and nibbled bland and terrible trail rations while the villagers feasted, until Mouse started going crazy. The scent of roast boar was off, challenged by something less appetizing. She turned, saw them shambling through the forest, fumbled her dry crumbly bread and ran for the festival, mule in tow, shouting as loud as one can without any saliva.

sheet

Going for someone with links to the Kalashtar, who I always thought were cool, and maybe with some kind of latent Mark of Handling. Might MC into Wizard or Mystic (playtest psionic class) later.

quote:

Emile
Female Human Urchin Rogue 2
Chaotic Good

Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 13 (+1)
Wisdom 13 (+1)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 145 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Grey/eyepatch
Hair: Dark Brown Wavy
Maximum Hit Points: 24

Speed: 30 feet

Inspiration:

Armor Class: 15 = 10 + 2 [sleather] + 3 [dexterity]

Proficiency: + 2
Initiative: + 5 = + 3 [dexterity] + 5 [Alert]

Attack (str): + 2 = + 0 [strength] + 2 [proficiency]
Attack (dex): + 5 = + 3 [dexterity] + 2 [proficiency]
Str save: + 0
Dex save: + 5 = + 3 [dexterity] + 2 [proficiency]
Con save: + 2 = + 2 [constitution]
Int save: + 3 = + 1 [intelligence] + 2 [proficiency]
Wis save: + 1 = + 1 [wisdom]
Cha save: + 0
Insight (passive): 13 (18 with advantage)
Investigation (passive): 13 (18 with advantage)
Perception (passive): 13 (18 with advantage)

Carry: 150 lb maximum

For groups using the optional encumbrance rules:
If carrying more than 50 lb, encumbered -- -10 on speed
If carrying more than 100 lb, heavily encumbered -- -20 on speed, disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saves involving strength, constitution, and/or dexterity

Languages: Common, Thieves' Cant, Quor

Unarmed strike [+2 to hit; 1 bludgeoning]
2 Daggers [+5 to hit; 1d4+3 piercing, 1 lb, finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)]
Short Bow [+5 to hit; 1d6+3 piercing, 2 lb, ammunition (range 80, 320), two-handed]
Sling [+5 to hit; 1d6+3 bludgeoning, 1 lb, ammunition (range 30/120)]
Rapier [+5 to hit; 1d8+3 piercing, 2 lb, finesse]
Leather armor [light; + 1 AC; 10 lb.]

Feats:

Sentinel: Opportunity hits prevent creature from moving rest of turn; creatures provoke opportunity attacks even if they disengage; can use reaction to attack a creature who attacked an adjacent target.

Alert: +5 to initiative; can’t be surprised while conscious; Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being hidden from you.

Assassinate: Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

Skills
Acrobatics Dex 7 =
Animal Handling Wis 5 =
Arcana Int 1 =
Athletics Str 0 =
Deception Cha 0 =
History Int 1 =
Insight Wis 3 =
Intimidation Cha 0 =
Investigation Int 3 =
Medicine Wis 1 =
Nature Int 1 =
Perception Wis 3 =
Performance Cha 0 =
Persuasion Cha 0 =
Religion Int 1 =
Sleight of Hand Dex 5 =
Stealth Dex 5 =
Survival Wis 1 =

Check any other tools with which this character is proficient:

Disguise kit
Forgery kit
Thieves' tools
Poisoner's kit
Alchemist's supplies

Human

The variant rule is in effect. Humans add a point only to two abilities, and get an extra skill and an extra feat.
This Human chose +1 on dexterity (already included).
This Human chose +1 on constitution (already included).
Humans learn one extra language.

Urchin

You grew up on the city streets and learned to care for yourself.
You are proficient with disguise and thieving tools.
City Secrets: I know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When I am not in combat, I (and companions I lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as my speed would normally allow.

Rogue

Proficient in using thieves' tools.

Level 1: Expertise with four skills / tools gives double proficiency bonus on checks: Acrobatics; Animal handling; .
Level 1: Thieves cant
Level 1: Sneak attack deals extra 1d6
Level 2: Cunning action -- take a second action to dash, disengage or hide
Level 3: Sneak attack deals extra 2d6, Assassin features
Level 5: Sneak attack deals extra 3d6
Level 5: Evasion -- you can use your reaction to take only half damage from an enemy you can see
Level 5: Uncanny dodge -- no damage if a dexterity save is made, half damage if failed
Level 7: Sneak attack deals extra 4d6
Level 9: Sneak attack deals extra 5d6
Level 11: Reliable talent -- when using abilities with proficiencies, all d20 rolls are 10 or better
Level 11: Sneak attack deals extra 6d6
Level 13: Sneak attack deals extra 7d6
Level 14: Blindsense -- sense invisible if you can hear
Level 15: Slippery mind -- gain proficiency in wisdom saving throws
Level 15: Sneak attack deals extra 8d6
Level 17: Sneak attack deals extra 9d6
Level 18: Elusive -- if you can move, creatures cannot benefit from advantage in attacks against you
Level 19: Sneak attack deals extra 10d6
Level 20: Stroke of Luck -- once between short rests, turn a miss into a hit, or automatic success on a failed ability check

Assassin (rogue archetype)

Begin with bonus proficiencies -- disguise and poisoner kit.
Level 3: Assassinate -- you have advantage against any creature that has not yet taken a turn in combat. Hits on surprised creatures are criticals.
Level 9: Infiltration expertise -- fake identity.
Level 13: Impostor.
Level 17: Death strike. A surprised creature that you hit must save vs constitution d10 or take double damage

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Rogue 8

Hit Dice For Healing
Regain half with each long rest. Use as needed during long or short rests.

Death Saving Throws:
Successes
Failures

Equipment:
Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)

Arrows (quiver of 20) x 1
Sling bullets (group of 10) x 1

Backpack
Ball bearings (bag of 1000)
Bell
Candles x 5
Crowbar
Hammer
Lantern (hooded)
Oil flasks x 2
Pitons (bag of 4) x 10
Rations (1 day) x 5
Rope (50', hempen) x 1
String, ten feet x1
Waterskins x 1
Thieves' tools (proficient)
Empty silver box inscribed "dreams" in Quor
Mule
Mouse
2pp 7gp 5sp 6cp
_____
71 lb
Total

Personality Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets (and pets) away in my pockets.
Ideal(s): Change. The low are lifted up, and the high and mighty are brought down. Change is the nature of things. (Chaotic)
Bond(s): I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
Flaw(s): I’d rather kill someone in their sleep then fight fair.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I'm generally skeptical of homebrewed options, as they almost always seem to suffer from power creep, and this was no exception. I've stepped back the Hobgoblin to match the Half-Orc traits (except with different Ability Score improvements, though that's immaterial since we were allowed to move the racial bonuses anyway). So Initiative Proficiency and Athletics Advantage are dropped entirely, while Intimidation Advantage (plus Critical Hit damage bonus) becomes Intimidation Proficiency and the separate trait giving Critical Hit damage bonus. Darkvision and Relentless Endurance remain the same.

I've gone with Healing Word and I may swap Performance for something else, but otherwise I think I'm done.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Around You posted:

Yeah, they look good now!
Awesome

---

Look Around You posted:

Question: do you guys feel like you need another day for apps? I bumped it up because I'm off tomorrow and wanted an off day to check stuff out (When I first set it I'd thought I was off monday). I can slide it back to tomorrow night if you guys feel you need it.

This would be really awesome too!

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Name: Crixom Elbereth
Class: Paladin

Background: Soldier. Specialty: Infantry
Feature: Military Rank
Personality Traits: I'm full of inspiring and cautionary tails from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.
Ideal: Might. In life as in war, the stronger force wins.
Bond: I would still lay down my life for the people I served with
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning

Height: 6'2
Weight: 172
Alignment: NG
Background:
Crixom was raised near a Sacred flame missionary. The half-elven friar there was a huge part of his upbringing as his father died in the formative years. The missionary was not solely for converts. Education and civics had their place alongside the teachings of the evils of the world. Friar Marcon taught him the basic tenets of his order along with the language of his mother's people. As he reached manhood, he decided to enlist with the group that helped raise him. With a letter of recommendation from Marcon, he began his training with the Templars.

The past 12 years have not been all combat, all the time, but I have definitely seen some things. Who would've thought there would be so many different sects and types of drama in an organization devoted to defeating evil? Don't even get me started on the Puritans. Two years have passed since the signing of "The Treaty." The higher ups got a heads up something may be going down at the fair. The info was not from a completely reliable source, so they didn't want to rally the troops or send an important emissary. I volunteered. Don't act you wouldn't of either. You know you like lemon cakes, cotton candy, and minstrel shows. It was all but a sketchy rumor. Whats the worst that could happen......? Currently watching a minstrel show and chowing down on a turkey leg.

Ability Scores: Human +1's to STR and CHA
STR: 16
DEX: 8
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 16
HP: 12 (10+Con)
AC: 16 (Chain Mail)
Speed: 30'
Initiative: +Dex

Saving throw proficiencies: WIS / CHA
Skill Proficiencies:
Insight + Persuasion [Paladin]
Perception [Human]
Athletics + Intimidation [Soldier]

Tool Proficiencies: Gaming set , vehicles (land) [Soldier]
Languages: Common, Sylvan

Features:
Feat: Polearm Master (Human)
Feat: Great Weapon Master (House-rule)

Divine Sense:5/lr:know location & type of any celestial,fiend or undead in 60ft.
Lay on Hands:Palx5 Health Pool (5). 5pts cures 1 disease or poison.

Starting Gold: 210; 80 Remaining
Equipment:Glaive (20), Chainmail (75), Holy Symbol (5), Explorer's Pack (10), 10x Javelins (5) Shortsword (My Soldier trinket forged with a handle, 10), Healer's Kit (5)

BG: Insignia of rank (silverflame arrowhead), Trophy taken from fallen enemy (Lycan Fang), set of bone dice, common clothes, belt pouch containing 10gp
trinket: A vest with one hundred tiny pockets trinket: 1d100 36

Char Sheet

odinson fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 27, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

odinson posted:

How long was the Last War? Trying to figure out if I can be orphaned by it and a participant in it at the same time

>100 years, so if you're a human/other (relatively) short-lived race, that's actually a very likely scenario

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So that's the deadline... Anyone who already posted about making a character has until 12pm EST today (Sunday) to finish up. If you already have one posted, you can tweak stuff/flesh stuff out/make any changes you want up until then too!

Let me know if you have any questions about rules/the setting/whatever, I'll be up for another couple hours at least.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks. That gives me some more options on my backstory.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
If we don't take the PHB starting equipment, is starting at max gold (phb 143) okay? That is how the official Adventures League does it. If not I'll roll on http://orokos.com.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

odinson posted:

This guy was originally a Polearm Build, not exactly sure where I wanna go with him now. I do plan on getting the Silver Flame symbol etched into my glaive when I get it silvered (PHB 148). I'm seeing my current relationship with the Silver Flame more as an US Army reserves type deal than a hardcore career member for life guy that wants to a 5 star general one day. I served with them for 10 years 17-27. Not sure how involved they were in the Last War. Maybe an rear end-kicking Red Cross?

According to the source book, "The curch also seeks to fight corruption, greed, and other human evils, and through these acts of faith kept the Last War raging on." So for them it was more of a crusade (of which they've apparently had a few against different targets -- undead, lycanthropes, etc). Corruption is also apparently a huge issue in the Church.

So basically think middle ages Catholic Church and you've got the Church of the Silver Flame. Crusades, corruption, vocal/fanatical sects starting inquisitions, all that fun stuff. They also have a similar power structure: Keeper of the Flame (=Pope; intermediary between the Flame[god] and people) -> Council of Cardinals (=College of Cardinals; oversee operation of Church and State[Thrane], oversee regular clergy) -- Church templars (=militant arm; protect Thrane/church properties, fight evils and enemies of the church) -- friars (=missionaries; proselytizing others); there's a subsect called the believers in the Pure Flame (also called Puritans) interpret every utterance of the flame literally and have been responsible for stoking inquisitions and crusades.

tl;dr Church of the Silver Flame is Eberron's Middle Age-era Catholic Church

e:

odinson posted:

If we don't take the PHB starting equipment, is starting at max gold (phb 143) okay? That is how the official Adventures League does it. If not I'll roll on http://orokos.com.
That sounds alright with me.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 26, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Look Around You posted:

So that's the deadline... Anyone who already posted about making a character has until 12pm EST today (Sunday) to finish up. If you already have one posted, you can tweak stuff/flesh stuff out/make any changes you want up until then too!

Let me know if you have any questions about rules/the setting/whatever, I'll be up for another couple hours at least.

I won't have access to a PHB until Sunday evening. I probably want Dual Wielder as my feat, but if I get home tomorrow and check the exact wording of my options, can I change it? If I take Dual wielder I may rejigger my equipment slightly; is that okay?

EDIT: Especially if we get max starting gold.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I won't have access to a PHB until Sunday evening. I probably want Dual Wielder as my feat, but if I get home tomorrow and check the exact wording of my options, can I change it? If I take Dual wielder I may rejigger my equipment slightly; is that okay?

EDIT: Especially if we get max starting gold.

That sounds fair, yeah.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Telos Greenleaves half-elf druid

The war. It was hell. It had been going on forever, since before Telos was born, and he feared he would not live to see its end. Telos was born a union of elf and man, and he never felt right among either, he preferred to be by himself, or with what fauna and flora he could find. But the war was all consuming. Wherever he went the war was there, and so were the people, the angry, violent, vicious, monstrous people. Yes nature could be violent, and vicious, but it was different. This was war greed, pure and simple. Battle for power, over ideology, over things that didn't matter to Telos.

And so he ran. He fled the people whenever he could. But the war kept finding him. He travelled from one corner of Khorvaire to another, but he just could not escape the war. He kept getting dragged in. When the war pulled him in he would grab a stick, some stones, and go to it. His skill with weapons was hardly comparable to even the average soldier, but his connection with Khorvaire, with Eberron, with nature itself, strengthened stick and stone and he did well enough. He could even help the soldiers he found himself working alongside when they came across magical constructs that were resistant to mundane weapons. The stones he enchanted could tear right through such defenses, bestowing his natural power even when thrown by another.

Still he would leave whenever given the chance, and war was chaos, there were often chances. And yet the war would always find him again.

Until the day of Mourning. And Mourning it was indeed. As the war came to a sudden standstill of horror and shock Telos fell to his knees, tears pouring down his cheeks at the sheer abomination of the event.

And the war finally ended. A joyous occasion. But at what cost?

Since then Telos has been traveling across Khorvaire, trying to find some bright spot in this world after the horror of the war, but far too often he would stumble upon some reminder of the war or another.

In his search he has come across Bluevine, in Aundair, a small community that saw little of the war. Something Telos had been looking for. Shortly after arriving he finds that they are having a celebration of some sort, it sounds like a promising place, a place where he can ease some of the terrors of the war. Well it is what he thought, until the undead show up.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 26, 2015

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Just as a heads up, I tweaked my spells a little bit and added in some stuff we talked about in PMs. The more I read it, the less useful hellish rebuke sounded.

let me know if you need anything else!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey, your character sheet is restricted on google docs. I sent a request but I figured I'd post in here too to try and catch your eye.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Whoops, guess I used the wrong link. Went back and edited in a link that should work for a sharable version.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

Whoops, guess I used the wrong link. Went back and edited in a link that should work for a sharable version.

That worked, thanks!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Remembered that Chromatic Orb has a 50gp startup cost so I calculated custom starting equipment instead of just running with the given packs. Updated Gear and CharSheet here

edit: also made some minor changes to stats (using standard array now) and moved one of the half-elf +1s to CHA

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 26, 2015

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Alright, the hard deadline passed. Unless you talked to me about it (so bascially Haschel Cedricson), then that's pretty much it for messing around with your characters. I'm gonna check everything over and hopefully have a post up either tonight or tomorrow night (I work until 10p est tomorrow). Thanks for all the submissions and I'll get that up as soon as possible!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp I messed up the time. Oh well I do appreciate all the help people gave me with character generation. It will be useful for a long time forward.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Welp I messed up the time. Oh well I do appreciate all the help people gave me with character generation. It will be useful for a long time forward.

Well since you're a bit of a special case (you just got the PHB), and since I'm probably gonna be sitting on it for a bit (probably won't actually start until tomorrow night or tuesday afternoon due to work), do you think you'd be able to finish up before like 9 or 10pm EST tonight?

e: I PMd you about it too... can you let me know if you saw this/the PM? I'm willing to be a bit flexible because rolling a character for the first time without help is pretty tough (plus someone else got a bit of an extension too). Let me know if you need any more help!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes I can and for some reason the pm notification went to a Google update folder.

Thanks!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 26, 2015

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Alright, everything is updated. Also, I traded out proficiency in perform for deception, since there was no way for me to pick up actual proficiency in a musical instrument.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I believe everything above is up to date. Filled out char stats and background and a linked character sheet.

odinson fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rogar Stats
Here is the main stats info. Here is the second page which lists all the extra info and fighting class.

Rogar Background

Rogar didn’t exactly love being in the military, but it was nice not having to otherwise take care of the basics affairs of his life, such as lodging or food. He was a front line solider, but his unit was assigned (whether by luck or some sort of divine intervention Rogar didn’t know), to mostly handle protection against strikes by the enemy in the heartland of Aundair. There were a couple of times that his unit was called in as to relieve beleaguered troops on the frontlines. Rogar had seen the full spectrum of combat and death, and he had proven himself capable, at least at surviving. He had also seen the incompetence of noble NCOs and how talent and position were not sometimes mutually exclusive. Still he somehow survived, sometimes much to his own surprise. When he learned he was being demobilized, he was half sure that he was dreaming or dying and this was a fleeting delusion before death. It wasn’t, however.

Getting used to being demobilized was somewhat of a shock, he had never expected the war to end, but then again no one had really expected Making to be glassed, by who knows what. His unit was a symbolic demobilization, to show as an effort of good faith that Aundair and Queen Aurala were committed to peace. This wasn’t exactly untrue, but considering the sudden and inconclusive way the war ended, Queen Aurala wasn’t ready to truly thing peace had returned to the land…or at least she was going to be careful about it. Since they were strategic protection units, they were demobilized to show the openness of Aundair and also security was returning and that armored troops no longer needed to be dug in near the castle or college.

Rogar spent the past two years since being demobilized doing odd work, hiring himself out to help farmers in the rural areas deal with bandits…or issues that the local magistrates either couldn’t or wouldn’t bother themselves with. It wasn’t especially hard work, but it paid money and gave him something to do. Rogar just hadn’t been able to figure out what he was going to do with himself. He was an only child, his parents had (apparently) passed away during the war, something he had only found out when he returned to their village, months after it had occurred. The village had given them a small funeral…and disposed of their estate to a powerful merchant family.

Rogar had cared greatly for his parents and the way the village had stripped their property like a bunch of vultures and even more the lack of clarity on how his parents both suddenly died had left Rogar greatly angered. He would settle accounts eventually, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to do it alone. Therefore he had resolved to seek out some of the troops he had served with to enlist them in helping to discover the truth about his parent’s death.

He decided the best place to start would try Bluevine at the site of the Treaty celebration. He had attended the first year’s ceremony by chance of being near the previous town doing “work.” He had run into members of his former unit who had decided to attend for various reasons, mostly having to do with food, alcohol, and prostitutes. They had all resolved to meetup the next year, share memories, drink, and have a good time. Rogar had looked forward to this and as he left he had told them that he was going to see his parents for the first time in years.

Rogar had returned to Bluevine, but not with the happiness he had before. He had just meet up with a few of his friends and began to talk about his plan…when they heard screams and noise coming out from the forest.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 27, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Cool, looking forward to seeing your decisions!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey everyone, I just finished posting the gameplay thread with the final character selections. I also wanted to thank everyone for their interest (I seriously was not expecting anywhere near this much interest or this many apps!) and for their amazing character submissions... it was extremely hard to pick only 6 out of all the great apps. I'd also like to say that if you weren't chosen but are interested in being on the bench (in case of a drop/etc), to please let me know and I'll make sure to keep your name/app around in case it's needed.

Thanks again everyone for all of the interest and great submissions!

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Aw, sweet! I'll post once I get home from work and can make a nice player token.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ditto any tips on how to make the token? Also is there someone I can lean on (ie pester by pm) to check my calculations and rolls?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beautiful! Thanks for the invite. Testing out post format.

[Elorin Occasio]
[HP:8/8][AC:12]

A few quick questions for DM:
- I've been trying to brainstorm a simple way to handle the journal. I think the main two contenders are a) Note when Elorin "starts writing" while in RP mode (and thus the posts made by myself and others are the record) and summarize what Elorin remembers after combat etc (where you have a chance to add the special insights from your own posts), or b) make a google doc that the two of us share (where the things Elorin remembers are actually listed there and you have a chance to enter special insights directly and hope that I notice!). The former is probably my slight preference. It's worth noting that Elorin is "Apathetic" as per whothefuckismydanddcharacter so I plan on actually rolling occasionally to see if he bothers writing things down.
- Will you be handling party economy or should we start a google doc on our own?
- I have the "shield" spell that activates as a reaction. Do you prefer that I specify a trigger during combat so you can incorporate it yourself? Or should I just bring it up once it becomes pertinent and institute a minor retcon? My slight preference would be to default to the latter, but use the former as requested by you for large or complicated combats.
- You mind if I include a subscript, as below, for time- or charge-limited mechanics? It makes keeping track of things for combat much much simpler.

--------------------------------------------------------
Limited: bolts (20/20), Hero pts (5/5) , Luck pts (3/3), Hit Dice (1/1, 1d6)
Tide of Chaos (1/1)
Spells (14 DC): 1st (2/2)
status effects: none

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 28, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Woot! I'll get a token made up this evening and get everything posted.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Ditto any tips on how to make the token? Also is there someone I can lean on (ie pester by pm) to check my calculations and rolls?

http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/

I can do the other thing too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Look Around You posted:

I'd also like to say that if you weren't chosen but are interested in being on the bench (in case of a drop/etc), to please let me know and I'll make sure to keep your name/app around in case it's needed.

"Put me in, coach!"

But yeah, i think my dude will take shape a bit more by level 2 :v:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Funnily enough I also feel like my build will take shape once level 2 happens. So I would like to be on the bench as well.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Likewise!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Forever_Peace posted:

- I've been trying to brainstorm a simple way to handle the journal. I think the main two contenders are a) Note when Elorin "starts writing" while in RP mode (and thus the posts made by myself and others are the record) and summarize what Elorin remembers after combat etc (where you have a chance to add the special insights from your own posts), or b) make a google doc that the two of us share (where the things Elorin remembers are actually listed there and you have a chance to enter special insights directly and hope that I notice!). The former is probably my slight preference. It's worth noting that Elorin is "Apathetic" as per whothefuckismydanddcharacter so I plan on actually rolling occasionally to see if he bothers writing things down.
If you feel more comfortable with the former then that may be the way to go. I don't mind adding insight as we discussed, but I feel like you should be the driving force just due to the fact that it's your character and as a rule I prefer to give my PCs as much agency as possible.

quote:

- Will you be handling party economy or should we start a google doc on our own?
I'll admit I haven't thought about this at all. I feel like with 6 PCs and 6 players that managing party economy may be a bit untenable. I think what I'll end up doing is listing all of the spoils from the battle and precalculate GP shares; anything beyond straight money (equipment/magic stuff/whatever) I feel should be more of a group decision.

quote:

- I have the "shield" spell that activates as a reaction. Do you prefer that I specify a trigger during combat so you can incorporate it yourself? Or should I just bring it up once it becomes pertinent and institute a minor retcon? My slight preference would be to default to the latter, but use the former as requested by you for large or complicated combats.
I'd prefer to have everyone predeclare their intended reactions (potentially with preconditions) at the bottom of each combat post e.g. REACTION: cast shield if attacked by ogre; otherwise 1st OA (where OA = opportunity attack) just because there's 6 PCs and I'd rather not guess about who wants to do what as a reaction and when in combat it happened

quote:

- You mind if I include a subscript, as below, for time- or charge-limited mechanics? It makes keeping track of things for combat much much simpler.
Yeah that's great. I'd like everyone to either do it like that or right below their token/name/char sheet part of their post (though the footer is probably better)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Look Around You posted:

If you feel more comfortable with the former then that may be the way to go. I don't mind adding insight as we discussed, but I feel like you should be the driving force just due to the fact that it's your character and as a rule I prefer to give my PCs as much agency as possible.

Sounds good!

quote:

I'd prefer to have everyone predeclare their intended reactions (potentially with preconditions) at the bottom of each combat post e.g. REACTION: cast shield if attacked by ogre; otherwise 1st OA (where OA = opportunity attack) just because there's 6 PCs and I'd rather not guess about who wants to do what as a reaction and when in combat it happened

Yeah that's great. I'd like everyone to either do it like that or right below their token/name/char sheet part of their post (though the footer is probably better)

Done. I'm going to default to "only use reaction to cast shield when it would be helpful" (i.e. when hit by rolls of 12-16 or targeted by magic missile), but may mark down alternatives for certain situations.

quote:

I'll admit I haven't thought about this at all. I feel like with 6 PCs and 6 players that managing party economy may be a bit untenable. I think what I'll end up doing is listing all of the spoils from the battle and precalculate GP shares; anything beyond straight money (equipment/magic stuff/whatever) I feel should be more of a group decision.

Happy to track it here (shamelessly lifted from the Stolen Land thread). Feel free to toss things our way and we can figure it out - I can have the GP shares auto-calc.

edit: slydingdoor buddy I think you got a typo for # of superiority dice

edit2: Melchiresa what's your starting gold?

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 29, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah there's only one d6 SD. I'll fix it when I get a better sheet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for the delay I'm going to see if I can get my page up during lunch today. Worst case it will be this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Forever_Peace posted:

edit2: Melchiresa what's your starting gold?

Oops, I knew I forgot something. It's 25. I'll add it on to the character sheet later.

• Locked thread