Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"The British embassy in Washington has apologised after tweeting a picture of a White House cake surrounded by sparklers, "commemorating" the burning of the building 200 years ago.
The US presidential residence was set on fire by British forces in 1814 during the "War of 1812" with the United States.
A number of Twitter users said the embassy's tweet was "in poor taste".
The embassy later said: "Apologies for earlier Tweet."
It added: "We meant to mark an event in history & celebrate our strong friendship today."
'Only sparklers!'
British troops led by Maj Gen Robert Ross attacked and burned public buildings including the Capitol, Washington Navy Yard and the president's mansion during the conflict.
It was the only time that a foreign power has captured and occupied Washington.
The offending tweet on Sunday read: "Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time!"
The British embassy message, published on its official Twitter account, has been retweeted more than 4,000 times.
One user questioned: "Is this suppose [sic] to be funny"?
Another wrote: "I think this is in extremely POOR TASTE."
An apology was issued on the account two hours after the original message."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Tautologicus posted:

When did they do that.. The british literally sailed into washington dc's unprotected harbor in 1812, burned down the white house and left. Our navy didn't exist to do anything in 1776-1779 and it didn't do anything 30 years later either. The british empire reigned supreme until the cusp of the 20th century, america is just a single mouse that got away.

Do you really think that America just "got away" with it? They sent an entire armada to protect New York. It's not like they just said, "Oh well, gently caress it, let's just give the yanks this entire country."

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Whorelord posted:

"The British embassy in Washington has apologised after tweeting a picture of a White House cake surrounded by sparklers, "commemorating" the burning of the building 200 years ago.
The US presidential residence was set on fire by British forces in 1814 during the "War of 1812" with the United States.
It added: "We meant to mark an event in history & celebrate our strong friendship today."
'Only sparklers!'
British troops led by Maj Gen Robert Ross attacked and burned public buildings including the Capitol, Washington Navy Yard and the president's mansion during the conflict.
The offending tweet on Sunday read: "Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time!"
The British embassy message, published on its official Twitter account, has been retweeted more than 4,000 times.

im not sure why americans get their knickers in a twist over actual genuine historical poo poo that happened

end of the day its important to acknowledge things that happened so that you can learn from them

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shirley Crabtree posted:

since apparently you really are a bit thick i'll explain it a bit simpler...

Place A has 100 people and 50 of them are killed by guns.

Place B has a million people and 51 of them are killed by guns.

Which one is the most saferest? if we use your method its Place A but if we go by per capita its Place B. This is why per capita is important when talking about populations of people.

again: that would matter if the question was about the population and not the country

I'm not asking "in which country is any random person likely to be rich", I'm asking "which country, as a collective entity, is richest"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
We mainly don't, just the important and/or mouthy ones (same as the people we hate in our own continent), hth.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
The funny thing is that while Boston was under seige many officers were watching a play and when the Americans attacked and while everyone was screaming for their lives the officers in attendance thought it was just a part of the play. It wasn't until they heard gunshots and and cannon fire that they realized that they were under attack.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Whorelord posted:

wasn't your country defeated by a bunch of rice farming asian dwarfs?

vietnam "defeated" us in the same sense that we "defeated" the british in the revolutionary war

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

again: that would matter if the question was about the population and not the country

I'm not asking "in which country is any random person likely to be rich", I'm asking "which country, as a collective entity, is richest"

no you said 'which country is richest'

per capita is how you work out which country is safest and the same applies to richest. if you got a billion people sharing a hundred dollars that doesnt make them live in a richer country than one with a single guy with 99 dollars. use your brain come on.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shirley Crabtree posted:

per capita is how you work out which country is safest and the same applies to richest. if you got a billion people sharing a hundred dollars that doesnt make them live in a richer country than one with a single guy with 99 dollars. use your brain come on.

lmbo at you literally changing the meanings of words in your brain to avoid having to say america is the richest country in the world

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Shirley Crabtree posted:

Seriously though, you sound kinda dumb.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

lmbo at you literally changing the meanings of words in your brain to avoid having to say america is the richest country in the world

didnt i just post up jessie j price tag up ITT?

i am sad for you that your definition of greatness is measured by dollars and not by cultural and moral richness

p.s. your gonna be so gutted when china overtakes you there in ten years time

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
americans like to say they are best at war when they are in fact the worst lol

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

does gdp include multinational corporations because if it does, it's a worthless metric. the population is what makes up a country, not geography or market forces

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shirley Crabtree posted:

i am sad for you that your definition of greatness is measured by dollars and not by cultural and moral richness

so first it's "qatar is the richest country in the world, suck it america" and when it's pointed out that you're twisting statistics to say something inaccurate it's "why are you so worried about money man" lmfbo

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quakster posted:

does gdp include multinational corporations because if it does, it's a worthless metric. the population is what makes up a country, not geography or market forces

in which case you would still compare the collective purchasing power of countries' populations, not their average

unless, again, the question was "which country has the richest people on average" as opposed to "which country is collectively the richest"

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Shirley Crabtree posted:

didnt i just post up jessie j price tag up ITT?

p.s. your gonna be so gutted when china overtakes you there in ten years time

America is the most culturally and morally diverse country in the world. Try again.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
the truth is most of the hate is just due to actions of aggression like the iraq war but at the end of the day people went home and wore their american jeans and drank a coke while watching imported (garbage) american sitcoms

true story
'

america ur al right

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

so first it's "qatar is the richest country in the world, suck it america" and when it's pointed out that you're twisting statistics to say something inaccurate it's "why are you so worried about money man" lmfbo

since jessie j didnt convince you heres a couple more vids that might make you rethink your obsession with capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGvlESGvbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhRKVIjJtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venzPNvge18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dly6p4Fu5TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7MbG6MiQs

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 22, 2015

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

America is number 1 at football; sorry, guy who said Brazil. Brazil might be good at soccer, though!

Also lol at Canadians who think they burned down the White House. You were winning in the East, but losing in the West. Duke of Wellington didn't even think it was worth it to help you out.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

SweetKarma posted:

California is what? The 9th largest economy in the world or some poo poo.That's just one state out of 50. You can't compete with that.

lol, nice job pushing the straight-As star football player kid to the front and acting like he's just an average student.

Yep, that's just one of our fifty, picked him at random, the others are just as good. No, Maryland did NOT just set himself on fire, you're imagining things. Florida, please take your hand out of your pants we're trying to look good for this European. And - oh, dear, someone dial 911, Kansas just shoved a pencil up his nose and fainted again.

(I'm from California)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I feel like the america hate was strongest when this man ruled your country

Mostly because cmon man you let that guy be your president and then you bombed the gently caress out of two countries and somehow, SOMEHOW hosed up the middle east even worse while pointing fingers at anyone who didn't support your wars

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
^^^ Pretty much.
Up until then I looked on the US as a nation everyone strifed to be like.
But I didn't know alot about all the realpolitics back then, and now I hate my new home country and my old one AND the US and pretty much most of the first world. So there's that.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Shirley Crabtree posted:

since jessie j didnt convince you heres a couple more vids that might make you rethink your obsession with capitalism

try a different red herring, my only obsession with capitalism is with destroying it

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

try a different red herring, my only obsession with capitalism is with destroying it

then why are you celebrating being good at capitalism when instead you should be weeping like a teased vagina?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Americans have bad teeth.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Shirley Crabtree posted:

Serious Answer
Best at football: Brazil

:laffo: .
7-1.
football is also dominated by good ol DEUTSCHLAND!

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I love America. I hope to visit your country someday. If it wasn't for your grandfathers I'd be speaking German. God bless them.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Maybe we should all come together as one country. The country of Earth.

Peace & Love

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
here's a cool, classy internet video one of my countrymen put together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP55K0Kz31o

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SweetKarma posted:

Maybe we should all come together as one country. The country of Earth.

Peace & Love

I'd love it if the UK became the 51st state. I'd buy a massive house with loads of land for $5 in one of the so called "flyover states", and maybe get some goats and llamas and poo poo, and sit on my porch with my dog and have a beer.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

spud posted:

I'd love it if the UK became the 51st state. I'd buy a massive house with loads of land for $5 in one of the so called "flyover states", and maybe get some goats and llamas and poo poo, and sit on my porch with my dog and have a beer.

In SweetKarmas world you can live wherever you want whenever you want. SweetKarma 2016.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Did you know several european countries have the common phrase "american conditions/situations" ? It means that which must be avoided at all costs.
Example: If we cut welfare further we shall have American conditions.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SweetKarma posted:

Do you really think that America just "got away" with it? They sent an entire armada to protect New York. It's not like they just said, "Oh well, gently caress it, let's just give the yanks this entire country."

No, but its kind of like getting robbed for 10 dollars when you have 100,000 dollars on you..the british kept a majority of their trading interests in the country. 50 years later they controlled more than half the world via proxy (the forerunner to the american way of running an empire).

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

SweetKarma posted:

It is embarrassing, but that's why most american history books just kind of gloss over that point.

im dating a girl from cali and she said nothing bad or embarrassing about the US is ever mentioned in school anyway and coupled with the education system being total poo poo in general it makes for a lotta dumb nationalistic babies

ive liked most americans ive met though, nice people if you can deal with the whole aggressive hyper confidence thing

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

goatse.cx haver posted:

im dating a girl from cali and she said nothing bad or embarrassing about the US is ever mentioned in school anyway and coupled with the education system being total poo poo in general it makes for a lotta dumb nationalistic babies

ive liked most americans ive met though, nice people if you can deal with the whole aggressive hyper confidence thing

TBH the ultra-patriotism you see in American media isn't actually how most Americans feel. I made this thread as a joke, but no American actually gives any thought to how "great" America is. In fact, a lot of Americans are really critical of our government.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Those British embassy workers deserver a raise. Thats magnificent.

Edit: Hahah, Just noticed the the US and British flags on either side.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whorelord posted:

'Only sparklers!'

My favorite thing about the White House burning is when Canadians try to take credit for it and get all smug

"That's right, the largest empire on the planet burned down the seat of your government... on our behalf :smug:"
"Didn't both Toronto and the Canadian houses of Parliament get burned by the Americans in the same war, and didn't the war end in a stalemate?"
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of THE WHITE HOUSE BEING BURNED"

(obligatory hark a vagrant link)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Shirley Crabtree posted:

Realpost:

We don't hate you. Point of fact Europeans don't even think of you pretty much ever. Just like you get on with your own lives, Europeans do the same. We go to work, come home, go out and meet friends, stay in and watch the telly, whatever. But then on the internet we then come across Americans backslapping each other and how amazeballs they think they are and how everyone is jealous of them and we're like... really? And so we react to that because its obnoxious and basically wrong. Its hard to be jealous of something that is of little consequence to you. Maybe if we were in a brown country that you like to bomb we would think about you and hate you more. I'm sorry you are not as important to our everyday lives as you think you are.

This is basically America on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxUKRkOoHM

man you post a lot about how much you don't care

• Locked thread