Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

happyhippy posted:

The only media of Adam Sandler I will smile at will be his 'In Memoriam' at the Oscars.
Hope its loving soon.

how's that red letter media 5 o'clock shadow and beer belly coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Young Freud posted:

Adam Sandler...has a reputation as one of the nicest guys in Hollywood[/url]

Huh.

No seriously I'm surprised, I knew Spade was well-liked but for some reason thought Sandler was a total asshat. No idea where I got that impression. :iiam:

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IovnCtFqrE&t=1750s

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

When was the last time you saw an Adam Sandler movie? If I wanted to make poo poo up I'd tell you Pixels was actually a rip roaring great time and fun for the whole family.

But I'm being real here. Josh Gad's character fell in love with 80s arcade game character lady, and gets to fight with her side by side in the final battle by confessing his love for her after all these years. Later, when the aliens leave in defeat they dissolve all the violent video game character things INCLUDING Josh Gad's video game squeeze. They leave behind Q*Bert since something something he was a trophy for the humans, and so as a final parting gift the aliens transform Q*Bert into 80s arcade game character lady. Adam Sandler points out how odd this is, the credits roll, and there's an after credits scene where it's revealed that Gad and 80s arcade game character lady's children are all Q*Berts.

:suicide:

why are you acting like we should know who Josh Gad is lmao

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i feel bad for adam sandler because all his movies are loving poo poo

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Josh Gad looks like a more jewish Jonah Hill

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BeefThief posted:

Josh Gad looks like a more jewish Jonah Hill

Josh Gad looks like the kind of guy who would have sex with children.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

madeupfred posted:

Josh Gad looks like the kind of guy who would have sex with children.

Point to the doll where Josh Gad touched you :pedo:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ramsus posted:

but he always plays a retard himself, idgi

hes a retard who everyones loves, has a hot as gently caress wife, and has an amazing job that makes him rich. if youcant see how most sandler films lately have been mastubatory fantasies then lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

on the other hand everyone always says hes a really nice guy and in funny people he showed hes completely aware hes a hack so in the end can you blame a dude thats phoning it in scamming sony and then using that money to prop up his friends and coworkers thats kinda cool in away

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm sure all the friends he bought of with lucrative acting contacts think he's very nice

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Archer666 posted:

The only Sandler movie I can stomach is Little Nicky. And thats only because I was a retarded metal fan in my teens and the movie is spot on mockery of everything I though was "cool".

For a Sandler movie, his voice in that movie specifically was the most interolerable of all. I think I spent about 4 minutes watching that film before I gave up

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
a few of his earlier films were amusing I think but I don't know how much he really had to do with that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Happy Gilmore was p good

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

notZaar posted:

Yeah I'm sure all the friends he bought of with lucrative acting contacts think he's very nice

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1xj01o/which_celebrity_have_you_met_and_were_they_as/

scroll down a bit to find the thread about sandler, theres like 70 responses to it and every single one is positive

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In college, we found an early screen copy of Waterboy, on VHS, about a week or two before the film came out. Someone threw it away or something and it landed in our hands. It was now our curse.

We watched it. It was dumb. But then people started coming by and watching it and I probably saw it about 5 or 6 times overall.

Thats when I started hating Sandler

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Madcosby posted:

In college, we found an early screen copy of Waterboy, on VHS, about a week or two before the film came out. Someone threw it away or something and it landed in our hands. It was now our curse.

We watched it. It was dumb. But then people started coming by and watching it and I probably saw it about 5 or 6 times overall.

Thats when I started hating Sandler

mama always said alligators were so ornery cuz they got a head fulla teeth but no toothbrush

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Somebody online wrote that if Wreck It Ralph is Hollywood's love letter to retro video games, Pixels is the midnight booty call saying, "Hey baby, wanna make some gently caress?"

I haven't watched either, because video games are for babies

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That veronica Vaughn is one hot piece of aaase

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

babypolis posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1xj01o/which_celebrity_have_you_met_and_were_they_as/

scroll down a bit to find the thread about sandler, theres like 70 responses to it and every single one is positive

I enjoyed the Larry David stories right below the Sandler ones.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ElGroucho posted:

Somebody online wrote that if Wreck It Ralph is Hollywood's love letter to retro video games, Pixels is the midnight booty call saying, "Hey baby, wanna make some gently caress?"

I haven't watched either, because video games are for babies

Wreck-it Ralph is a good film with a few real game references, mostly in the first 15 minutes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

gently caress Hollywood pirate everything :yarr:

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
If Wreck It Ralph is Hollywood's paean to the retro video game community, in my opinion Pixels is its elegy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moon Atari posted:

The sony leaks were incredible because they made every parody of bonehead out of touch executives and soulless corporate decision making seem overly restrained in comparison.

The leaks about Spectre were actually the best because it was completely at odds with the rest - it looked like they really cared about how the third act made no sense and needed to be redone and not just mindless action.

my favorite bit was Aaron Sorkin saying he had no idea who Michael Fassbender was.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Off topic.

Someone posted that reddit link earlier about meeting celebrities and I'm reading it now. It's very interesting. First time on reddit though and I don't like the format, so someone should make a thread about meeting celebrities here. I would but I've never created content for this world wide web forum and I'm not about to start now.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

he turning into pauly shore

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

:airquote: movie

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

look at those cold, dead eyes. he knows what he did - he sold his soul to the devil of hollywood and now he must pay the reaper

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Perfect in every way.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I hate to side with sandler on this, but isn't the inflated budget more like 'this is how much it will cost you to have me, a big star who is guaranteed to draw profitable crowds, make this movie for you and not someone else'. And more to the point, isn't the fact that his movies are generally hugely profitable proof that he isn't actually overvaluing his production regardless of how meagre his actual talents may be? As the head of happy madison or whatever his actual title is being able to bilk sony and a million different advertising partners on top of the actual production cost is just shrewd business.

Sure, its loving lovely that he doesn't at least try to channel that into making a good product, but I can kind of see how you could develop contempt for your audience and be unwilling to make the effort to build a decent script out of a huge list of product placement demands. Especially when you do the promotion circuit and you have to sit through people like letterman lying through their teeth about how much they loved the film because they're being paid from the same well as you are.

The only real question is why he even needs to chase more money, but I guess I just don't understand how it feels to be that absurdly wealthy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Gutcruncher posted:

Wreck-it Ralph is a good film with a few real game references, mostly in the first 15 minutes.

Why do all movies have to have that point 3/4ths of the way through where everything gets all sad and the main character is giving up, and then OH NO EVEYTHING IS GOOD AGAIN AND WE LEARNED A LESSON
It's like I didnt come here for a lesson i just wanted to laugh at some things why do comedies have to force this poo poo in?

Good example: Liar Liar

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Otacon posted:

look at those cold, dead eyes. he knows what he did - he sold his soul to the devil of hollywood and now he must pay the reaper

You used to make movies with heart :qq:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moon Atari posted:

I hate to side with sandler on this, but isn't the inflated budget more like 'this is how much it will cost you to have me, a big star who is guaranteed to draw profitable crowds, make this movie for you and not someone else'. And more to the point, isn't the fact that his movies are generally hugely profitable proof that he isn't actually overvaluing his production regardless of how meagre his actual talents may be? As the head of happy madison or whatever his actual title is being able to bilk sony and a million different advertising partners on top of the actual production cost is just shrewd business.

Yes, but you're also forgetting that, in Hollywood, you're only as good as your last project. Also, thanks to the hacked e-mails, Sony sees Sandler as a fading star with demanding desires. And Sandler has had too many fumbles recently, such as That's My Boy not breaking even and Jack And Jill only making twice it's production budget (no clue on how much the advertising budget was). Hotel Transylvania and Grown-Ups made over $200 million but, If you look at his budget:box office ratio, his earlier films like The Waterboy and Big Daddy made as much as Grown-Ups at a fourth the price. You might think he's a "big name who is guaranteed to draw profitable crowds" but the numbers say differently. Sony's really now looking into someone new and fresh like Edgar Wright than tired and worn.

Sandler and Happy Madison are no longer the guarantee blockbuster that he once was. For comparison, I just looked up the difference between Paul Blart and the sequel, production budgets are similar, $26-$30 million dollars, but Paul Blart 2 made half as much. If Pixels doesn't hit $30 million in it's opening weekend, then it will likely never make up it's production budget of $88 million plus $20 million in advertising.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

MOVIN MY HIPS LIKE YEAH, NODDIN MY HEAD LIKE YEAH

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The gently caress are you guys talking about? Jack and Jill made $149 million (worldwide), it was a massive success. Grown Ups 2 cost $80m and made $247m, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry cost $85m and made $186m, You Don't Mess with the Zohan cost $90m and made $200m, etc etc.. He's a runaway profit-making monster. We'll probably get sequels for Pixels and Jack and Jill.

(That's My Boy and Little Nicky were the odd ones out, neither of them made their money back.)

The Red Letter Media guys were right, though. His earlier films like Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and The Wedding Singer all cost between $10 to $18m but just two years later (starting with Little Nicky) all his films suddenly cost $80m. There must some some weird money laundering tax avoidance scheme going on there.

It sounds more like Adam Sandler and his friends asked for more money when they'd proven they can make films that make money. Budget of the film includes actors' salaries. He doesn't have to be "laundering money" or doing any crazy schemes here. The bigger budget is because of bigger salaries for established movie stars. And if that's stealing, so is getting a raise at work. Don't be a nimrod.

Plus his first couple movies had zero computer generated effects in them. Pixels is almost entirely special effects. Of course it's going to cost more. Makes sense that the budget of these things also bumped up around the time of Little Nicky, which had tons of CGI in it.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 25, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2012/07/03/tom-cruise-tops-our-list-of-hollywoods-highest-paid-actors/

Adam Sandler was the second top paid actor tied with DiCaprio, but it's "theft" because

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 25, 2015

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Why do all movies have to have that point 3/4ths of the way through where everything gets all sad and the main character is giving up, and then OH NO EVEYTHING IS GOOD AGAIN AND WE LEARNED A LESSON
It's like I didnt come here for a lesson i just wanted to laugh at some things why do comedies have to force this poo poo in?

Good example: Liar Liar

Wreck it Ralph was awesome because it presents as a kids film with nostalgia appeal to adult male gamers, but the moral of the story is that you should stop your escapist fantasy and be content with your degrading thankless job because you do it for the sake of your child's happiness rather than your own ego. Now that's dressing up your message in a way that will let it reach the audience who needs it, literally having their videogame heroes show them that games are meant for children.

But to answer your question films have character arcs, themes and narrative through lines because even in lowbrow entertainment having no direction or meaning tends to feel hollow, emotionless and unsatisfying.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You had to pull an article from 2012 to prove a point?

Here's a more current list of the top ten highest-paid actors from 2014 from the same site. 2015 list hasn't been compiled yet. Notice that Tom Cruise isn't on the list (his only film that between June 2013 and June 2014 was Oblivion and Edge Of Tomorrow, with no idea how much he was paid for those films). Sandler doesn't even warrant a mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Young Freud posted:

You had to pull an article from 2012 to prove a point?

It was the first result to a search of like "actor's salaries" or "highest paid actors" or something like that and I had a laugh that Adam Sandler was on number two.

Also, Jack and Jill, the movie that people were using the show how Adam Sandler is a thief, was 2011, so it's relevant.

• Locked thread