Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Problem description:
I have a DSL modem to which a smart TV and A NAS are connected through Ethernet ports.
On this DSL modem, I have hooked a wireless router, using one of the router's LAN ports, not the WAN one, as using the WAN one did not let me access the NAS from wireless devices.

Attempted fixes:
Nothing. It seems to work, albeit slowly (the NAS), but I have the feeling it's a dirty setup and I'm just lucky. The wireless router's config is the default one except I put its IP to match the one assigned by the DSL model.
Wireless router has NAT and DHCP enabled. By some magic, the DHCP settings now match the ones of the DSL modem (I did not change this, it just happened), and it starts giving out IP's in a range outside the one assigned by the modem, somehow.
The modem reports all my wireless devices as being connected through lan. The wireless router DHCP clients list is empty save for my smartphone. Feels so wrong

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but I'm still confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There's two "correct" ways to do this: just using the wireless router as an access point to the wired combo modem/router box, which is how you have things hooked up now, or disabling the router functions of the combo box and just using it as a modem and using the wireless router as the router. You currently have it setup the first way, so just make sure DHCP and NAT are disabled on the wireless router so the combo box will do it.

If you really want to you can disable DHCP and NAT on the combo box and hook it up to the router's WAN port, but this may not be possible depending on the features of the combo box. You would need to connect ALL devices to the wireless router then, none to the combo box.

• Locked thread