Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I work for a publisher that makes books for IT professionals but it has lately been widening its offer with more books for beginner programmers. All our books are thoroughly reviewed. We have a big pool of reviewers to help with that but again they are mostly IT pros. I'm posting here to recruit some reviewers with little to no experience in IT to help us with these new beginner-level books.

Here's a link that explains reviewing in more detail. Long story short, you are not paid but you get a free book (and we thank you in it by name once it's published) and the review process makes you focus and learn - probably better than reading a book with no obligation.

Here are the books...
Adventures in JavaScript - For readers new to programming. Using a text based adventure game, programming concepts are taught in context as solutions to problems. The book shows how simple elements can be combined to create more complex but still understandable programs. The learning curve is gentle with progress clearly signposted.

Hello iOS Programming! - Teaches the concepts of creating apps for iDevices using the Swift Programming Language in a “Step-by-Step” manner. Aimed at beginners and intermediate users. Written by a very smart kid.

Learn Linux in a Month of Lunches - You have Linux on your computer, or are about to install it. But then what? Once you have Linux installed, what exactly do you do with it? How do you use it? This book will walk you through intermediate Linux tasks and concepts, like updating your system, handling security, and customizing your system. By the end of the book, you’ll be able to expertly troubleshoot and maintain your desktop Linux system, tweaking it in a way that’s impossible with any other operating system in the world.

Anyone Can Create an App

Let me know if any of these books interest you - PM me or post here. If reviewing as such interests you but not these books, you can follow the first link and subscribe to the newsletter.
This is not a scam! :) I have a bunch of goons from CoC reviewing more advanced books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Where's your COC thread? I just took a look and didn't see it.

e: Signed up

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 24, 2015

Sign
Jul 18, 2003
If you are on the fence about this I've done 6 or 7 books through this program and it is good stuff.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

the littlest prince posted:

Where's your COC thread? I just took a look and didn't see it.

e: Signed up

It's been a while (2012?) so I guess it's deleted or in archives. I was looking for Go in Action reviewers. I also remember posting in a game development thread to get reviewers for Unity in Action and Oculus Rift in Action. Some goons advanced to paid positions too (temporary, not in the sense that they were salaried), and we offered one to co-author a book but he wasn't interested. :/

• Locked thread