Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of No Man's Sky?!?!
Awesome!
Cool!
Sweet!
Amazing!
View Results

• Locked thread
Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
im still excited about my copy of toejam and earl that ive had for 25 years. its still pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
*pays $1000 into the Kickstarter for a chrome spaceship*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Can't wait to play No Man's Sky!

<rockets across space for nearly 2 hours>
<enters orbit of a planet that looks interesting>
<lands on planet>
<procedurally generated planet is nearly identical to the last three, but this time the surface is 1.31% bumpier>

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Blistex posted:

Can't wait to play No Man's Sky!

<rockets across space for nearly 2 hours>
<enters orbit of a planet that looks interesting>
<lands on planet>
<procedurally generated planet is nearly identical to the last three, but this time the surface is 1.31% bumpier>
sounds like theyve made some pretty serious improvements since the sega genesis days

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The only thing that can save no man's sky is pvp

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Uncle Wemus posted:

The only thing that can save no man's sky is pvp

About that...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
run that procedural thing on tumblr quotes and use deviantart for pics. i want to play this CCG

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

that sounds like some idiot nerd's dream scenario for "realism"

then the publisher forces them to add a "teleport to friend" button so people can play together

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
if there is no easter egg planet inhabited entirely by creatures resembling that greasy egghead pube beard guy I will be disappointed

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

quote:

Encountering a player on the ground will be even more rare.

“We keep talking about Jack’s dad from Lost, basically just to see them in the distance. Like, ‘Did I? What?'” Murray said.

If Lost is what they keep talking about I guess we should expect to find a labrador retriever at the center of the universe.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Rutibex posted:

well yeah, its not like i wrote a script it's curated a bit. i would :f5: until i got an interesting card, then refresh the name generator until i got something that fit, then throw that name into google image search and pick the best image for the name

took me like an hour to make all those cards

How dare you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Can't wait to see all these cool and weird planets and have my mind blown by all the cool, unique, and never-before seen content..."

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Rutibex posted:

i made a procedurally generated Magic Cards set, with random names and random pictures, and random abilities all from differant generators, enjoy:

that deck sux lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Me with starbound

Speaking of what happened to that game

At some point the project changed direction and they're now making an elaborate object lesson about hubris.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Games with set stories have no replayability. I can write my OWN story with the limitless power of my imagination!

*Spends four hours pretty much just mashing virtual action figures together while going "Pew, pew, pew! Pew pew! You'll never stop me - oh nooooo, you stopped meeee!"*

*Gets bored*

That game was a let-down I can't wait until there's another game that does this but is actually fun.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Peeler posted:

Did you hear that No Man's Sky will have billions of planets to explore? That's amazing I can't wait to see all the different planets. How do they do that? :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K6t77a9Rw0

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think a mix of generated and set content is a good way to do things. Hell, most roguelikes have premades dungeon floors or sections called vaults that get shuffled in, so you can run in to hand designed challenge, puzzle or theme areas, or a guaranteed shopping spot, etc.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No Mans Sky is going to be a shallow disappointing mess but I am sad because my friend who has been playing games as long as I and still plays them obsessively has somehow not learned yet to realize overambitious horseshit when he sees it wtf should I murder him????

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i cant wait to find a planet nobody has ever seen before and colonize it all by myself in the biggest space game ever

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I too am going to procedurally generate my post:

30 so if you are looking for a few hours then go right ahead and delete the following models and prices are subject to the hotel is located in the UK and Ireland destinations only a few days ago by the way to the hotel and restaurant is the most of it as I was just going for a few hours then go right ahead and delete the following week in a couple more than a few weeks and I was going for the first time in a few minutes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

30 so if you are looking for a few hours then go right ahead and delete the following models and prices are subject to the hotel is located in the UK and Ireland destinations only a few days ago by the way to the hotel and restaurant is the most of it as I was just going for a few hours then go right ahead and delete the following week in a couple more than a few weeks and I was going for the first time in a few minutes

No Man's Post

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

they sure are:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539717

for the pictures i used a random D&D name generator, then put that name into google image search

This is garbage because it doesn't use a neural network like robo-rosewater.

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

I've been playing Minecraft since it was in alpha stage and I can tell you that there are three things that made it popular: it was creative, online, and free. Procedural generation is boring as hell and seems to give developers the impression that more will come out of their games than what gets put in. If you really want a game that will grow and generate content on its own, there's still no substitute for creative features.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Goatfather posted:

i cant wait to find a planet nobody has ever seen before and colonize it all by myself in the biggest space game ever

If what the devs are saying is true, in the default game it would literally be a 1 in a million chance (or more) that you actually visit a planet someone else in the game has visited.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
dwarf fortress is procedurally generated but then again you could handmake cock island if you wanted so :shrug:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blistex posted:

If what the devs are saying is true, in the default game it would literally be a 1 in a million chance (or more) that you actually visit a planet someone else in the game has visited.

then what is the point of the whole namimg system. seems to me like the devs didnt even think their retarded poo poo game trough

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Blistex posted:

There's no building in NMS AFAIK so how will you know if someone else has visited it?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

srsly i am kinda pumped for no man's sky

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing about No Man's Sky screams crazy cool rocket wars explosions action.

It's billed and desgined as a chill solo game. Nothing wrong with that.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I cannot wait to escape from my sad lonely life by simulating the crushing loneliness of space in a procedurally generated galaxy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

circ dick soleil posted:

This is garbage because it doesn't use a neural network like robo-rosewater.

https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater

i'm pretty sure my brain is a neural network dood

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im hiring David Attenborough to provide narration for my new documentary, Penis-fish Planet.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

There's no building in NMS AFAIK so how will you know if someone else has visited it?

The robots that are on every planet will go "bleep bloop ButtFudger34 was here a week ago bloop please buy mana potion"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The game is a proof of concept to explain just how lonely we are in the universe

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

i'm pretty sure my brain is a neural network dood

what brain? lol

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
oh hey look this rock is slightly grayer than the rocks in the other cave I saw, what good content

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GCValentine posted:

oh hey look this rock is slightly grayer than the rocks in the other cave I saw, what good content

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

GCValentine posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

GCValentine posted:

Oh hey these creatures have slightly different shaped body parts and color. Fck that, there better be goddamn giant spaceworms and crazy poo poo all over the place or I will write an angry letter.

• Locked thread