Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of No Man's Sky?!?!
Awesome!
Cool!
Sweet!
Amazing!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

procedurally generated content isn't bad in and of itself, but it needs to incorporate interesting gameplay and things to actually DO in that content instead of just "being there" that's why I never really got into minecraft, because as much as you could build it seemed like most of the time it was just "fight monsters, build a cool castle with elevators" at least in Terraria I have objectives to move towards and more interesting equipment level ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why bother building the castle if you cant use it to gently caress with people.

What I'm saying is where's my new ultima game

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lil Peeler posted:

procedurally generated content isn't bad in and of itself, but it needs to incorporate interesting gameplay and things to actually DO in that content instead of just "being there" that's why I never really got into minecraft, because as much as you could build it seemed like most of the time it was just "fight monsters, build a cool castle with elevators" at least in Terraria I have objectives to move towards and more interesting equipment level ups

Minecraft is internet legos basically.

It doesn't sound like you will even be able to lego in No Man's Sky though since there is no building persistence. You can just name 53921215958 entities penis and have that show up for everyone else.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Moridin920 posted:

still though compared to like Mario 64 or whatever poo poo I was playing as a kid

have there been any games since that do mario 6 stuff better than mario 64 did?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

have there been any games since that do mario 6 stuff better than mario 64 did?

Mario Galaxy, though at the same time not really because the level design isn't as open ended

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked it when Daggerfall had an area the size of Great Britain where you could literally spend IRL days walking between lovely randomly generated towns and there were only like 3 or 4 cities with anything interesting in them and all of them were the ones that weren't random.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

loquacius posted:

Remember when you spent like half an hour driving the Mako around a barren wasteland to get to the five places on it that were useful in any way, and end up with a bunch of completely useless junk like asari artifacts and also see a thresher maw and not fight it because gently caress thresher maws? That was a great time and I'm glad to see developers revisit this idea. I hope they bring back the best game mechanic from Mako exploration segments, by which I of course mean struggling to get over a really steep mountain to get the asari artifact on the other side

lmao if you didn't almost kill the thresher maw with the mako but then finish it off with a pistol for a huge rear end experience gain.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Fried Watermelon posted:

The game is a proof of concept to explain just how lonely we are in the universe

The problem with exploration games like this is that space is actually boring as gently caress. You see a picture of Pluto and are like, "whoa holy gently caress look at that", but forget that that ship has been flying for like 10 years and been worked on for years before that.

Much like procedurally generated games, the fun part is building the machine that does stuff, not riding in the actual machine itself.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hey guys did you hear about the new indi early access zombie survival voxol procedurally generated mmo that makes houses and loot drops based out of the sounds that it picks up on your mic?

E: forgot to mention, check out this project on kickstarter $100 gets you a teeshirt and a $1000 donation gets you named as a mustache style in game.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 25, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Sure, you COULD play a game with really memorable set pieces, but that magical space lava castle is only cool, what, the first four times you go through it?

This series of interconnected boxes is a different experience each time. Last time you turned left here and saw a room full of green monsters. Now you gotta turn right and the monsters are red.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FreudianSlippers posted:

I liked it when Daggerfall had an area the size of Great Britain where you could literally spend IRL days walking between lovely randomly generated towns and there were only like 3 or 4 cities with anything interesting in them and all of them were the ones that weren't random.

Actually pretty good example of how procedural generation can make a game loving poopoo kaka, first off, gently caress those stupid rear end labyrinthine dungeons, second off, that game kinda blew, third off, the vast landmass actually did a pretty decent job of making it seem like this really is a massive continent so I guess it did one thing right.

I spent a lot of time on that slutty rear end game but the more I think about it the more I realize it was utter garbage.
Also lmfao at the four days me and my brother tried to get it just working.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I remember the good old days when companies would literally produce virtually broken unplayable pieces of poo poo that would crash on startup for 90% of people or games like Outpost that had advertised features on the box and manual but just didn't exist in the game itself.
Now people give you poo poo when your game crashes 10% of the time and that it's unoptimized, then they turn around and talk about the good old days of gaming lmfao nigga u ever buy Ultima Ascension on release? You ever purchase that sexy rear end Storm Over Gift and realized they literally didn't make like 80% of the game, or the countless RTSes from like 1990-2000 that had AI that made you literally have to loving babysit and move units inch by inch?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

IMO some people should be killed

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

JebanyPedal posted:

I remember the good old days when companies would literally produce virtually broken unplayable pieces of poo poo that would crash on startup for 90% of people or games like Outpost that had advertised features on the box and manual but just didn't exist in the game itself.
Now people give you poo poo when your game crashes 10% of the time and that it's unoptimized, then they turn around and talk about the good old days of gaming lmfao nigga u ever buy Ultima Ascension on release? You ever purchase that sexy rear end Storm Over Gift and realized they literally didn't make like 80% of the game, or the countless RTSes from like 1990-2000 that had AI that made you literally have to loving babysit and move units inch by inch?

This guy sounds badass, I wouldn't mess with him

RaDaMaNt
Apr 24, 2012
I am actually excited for No man's sky

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beef Turret posted:

This guy sounds badass, I wouldn't mess with him

Don't touch me nasty boy

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Hello, I'm a game developer.

What is my bigger influence?

If I had to pick just one, I'd have to say it was one really memorable section of Planescape: Torment. Now, most of that game is a real forgettable story railroading, but there's one part that really stuck with me.

There's a secret dungeon that was made by these really stupid cube-robots who wanted to, well, make a dungeon. They don't really understand how dungeons work or why people go in them or anything, really. So they went to Limbo, and they made this giant cube to try and figure it out. And the dungeon is just this series of identical square rooms with doors on the side. Every room is full of generic robots who attack you because that's their purpose. They attack people who go into the dungeon.

And even back when I played that it was just, boom. Like a light went on in my head. This is it. This is the future.

So I design games as if I'm literally one of those stupid-as-hell Planescape Cube-robots.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

GCValentine posted:

oh hey look this rock is slightly grayer than the rocks in the other cave I saw, what good content

that is interesting out in actual nature, and partially because you can use the information you see in the world to understand the procedural generation behind it. what if nms's procedural generation system actually involved a coherent and discoverable system of geology? that be something

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

circ dick soleil posted:

There's no building in NMS AFAIK so how will you know if someone else has visited it?

Unless you can name things like planets (not sure if this is an option) then there really isn't any way to tell if it has been visited or not. I was just saying, that the devs are claiming "billions of planets", so even with a million people playing and frantically "world hopping" the chances of two people even looking at the same planet while zooming by it are incredibly unlikely. Unless there are pre-determined starting points for players, even seeing another player online would probably be a huge event, and everyone on imgur will be losing their poo poo for a month when the first screencap is posted of two players seeing each other's ships. Hell, the game might be released for a year before that happens, or maybe on day one the planets align and two people run into each other.

Basically, this is going to be simulating the "solitary goon lifestyle", but in space instead of parent's basements.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

Much like procedurally generated games, the fun part is building the machine that does stuff, not riding in the actual machine itself.

haha yeah, ive made procedural systems for making maps with certain features out of hexogonal board game tiles (draw tiles from procedurally selected premixed stacks, and have features on the tiles determine how or if they are placed, credit to the game Tikal) for civilization type board game ideas. i havent done anything good with it or immediately plan to, but setting up a system is a fun challenge itself.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Haverchuck posted:

im still excited about my copy of toejam and earl that ive had for 25 years. its still pretty fun

This a million times. Except I always use game genie codes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Hello, I'm a game developer.

What is my bigger influence?

If I had to pick just one, I'd have to say it was one really memorable section of Planescape: Torment. Now, most of that game is a real forgettable story railroading, but there's one part that really stuck with me.

There's a secret dungeon that was made by these really stupid cube-robots who wanted to, well, make a dungeon. They don't really understand how dungeons work or why people go in them or anything, really. So they went to Limbo, and they made this giant cube to try and figure it out. And the dungeon is just this series of identical square rooms with doors on the side. Every room is full of generic robots who attack you because that's their purpose. They attack people who go into the dungeon.

And even back when I played that it was just, boom. Like a light went on in my head. This is it. This is the future.

So I design games as if I'm literally one of those stupid-as-hell Planescape Cube-robots.

Modrons, you pleb! They're called modrons. Only some of them are cubes, there's modrons for all of the Platonic solids or at least all of the D&D dice. They come from the plane of absolute law and each type has its programming set to only know about and perform their very specific tasks.

Er, I mean, haha sounds like those cube dudes were wacky!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Planescape: Torment kinda sucked cock

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JebanyPedal posted:

:eyepop:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
itt we're cock tormented

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Blistex posted:

Unless you can name things like planets (not sure if this is an option) then there really isn't any way to tell if it has been visited or not. I was just saying, that the devs are claiming "billions of planets", so even with a million people playing and frantically "world hopping" the chances of two people even looking at the same planet while zooming by it are incredibly unlikely. Unless there are pre-determined starting points for players, even seeing another player online would probably be a huge event, and everyone on imgur will be losing their poo poo for a month when the first screencap is posted of two players seeing each other's ships. Hell, the game might be released for a year before that happens, or maybe on day one the planets align and two people run into each other.

Basically, this is going to be simulating the "solitary goon lifestyle", but in space instead of parent's basements.

I'm mildly excited for this game.

haris pilton fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 25, 2015

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

JebanyPedal posted:

Why?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

yeah it sucked my cock, and it was good at it

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Realtalk: only excited for No Man's Sky because of the 65daysofstatic soundtrack.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Realtalk: only excited for No Man's Sky because of the 65daysofstatic soundtrack.

There's no shame in being excited for a new album. The price tag seems a little steep since I assume this heap is gonna be $50+, but you like what you like.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cymbal Monkey posted:

the music isn't procedurally generated? wtf this is bullshit

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Rutibex posted:

the music isn't procedurally generated? wtf this is bullshit

of course it is it's mathrock

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I get enough procedurally generated music on the radio.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
hire the guy who made shores of hazeron to build the random generator for animals and i'll buy it

• Locked thread