Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Captain Planet has some bizarre episodes that couldn't have been more political and almost sorta racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNp6-Q1NH9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There's another French-language Belgian comic that has its own take on US history: Les Tuniques Bleues("The Bluecoats").

Though basically a slapstick comedy, it often shows the carnage and absurdity of the US Civil War, like in these scenes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

Here's another cartoon aimed at children that is obviously political in nature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6mMCyXFsk

Hahaha, this comment:

Some Youtube Idiot posted:

omfg, Out of all the best anime like Highschool DxD, and steins gate, why couldn't the Japanese make a better Anime seriously?

Not this old 80s style garbage!

i mean they could have showed the role Japanese JSDF does to national security and also a cool dog fight to boost morale, proving japan is not shits and giggles but a formidable force ready to take action. i mean this only makes article 9 look like a joke. gently caress even the jakuza want to serve..... unlike our fines USA Ganbangers who wanna live on food stamps and have like 50 kids.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The best anime, like Highschool DxD.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Baka gaijin. Japanese are honorabaru, you see,

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011
Could some one please go into detail about what Superted says about Marxist Dialectics?

Thanks in advance,
best regards
A sexy submarine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's even an entire page in the comic devoted to pointing out how silly Belgian stereotypes of China are.

However, it kinda gets undermined when he adopts totally racist caricatures of the Japanese.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
To be fair, it was the 20s-30s and they were committing crimes against humanity.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Japan was a dominating regional power who had colonized it's neighbours. A little propaganda for the people of china was only in order.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
I always appreciated this moment in Teen Titans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mm9IzR9H6o

You were thinking he was gonna say something else, weren't you?

For context, the team has just joined up with a Zap Brannigan-like intergalactic space hero who they think is the coolest. He gives them all nicknames like "Sparky" and "Champ," so when he keeps calling Starfire some weird alien word, they just assume it's something like that as well. He treats everyone else as (almost) equals, but won't trust Starfire to do anything important on their mission, and generally makes her feel demeaned and excluded.
The episode is all the more effective because the person being humiliated is the sweetest, most kind-hearted of the Titans; something that makes her treatment by Zap extra infuriating, and throws the unfairness of it into even sharper relief.

In the end, even after she's personally saved his life, the nicest thing the guy can bring himself to say is she "must be One of the Good Ones." The message "there are always going to be racist shitheads, and their minds probably won't change," was a layer I wouldn't have expected from a kids show. And the above moment from Cyborg was a brilliantly subtle way to remind the audience what the episode is really about without getting literal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samovar posted:

However, it kinda gets undermined when he adopts totally racist caricatures of the Japanese.
I think he had a random Japanese detective show up in an unrelated story and the dude was no more cariactured than Chang. The portrayal of Japanese behavior in China was apparently pretty accurate

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
You know what has good ideology? Nu, pogodi.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Morton Haynice posted:

I always appreciated this moment in Teen Titans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mm9IzR9H6o

You were thinking he was gonna say something else, weren't you?

For context, the team has just joined up with a Zap Brannigan-like intergalactic space hero who they think is the coolest. He gives them all nicknames like "Sparky" and "Champ," so when he keeps calling Starfire some weird alien word, they just assume it's something like that as well. He treats everyone else as (almost) equals, but won't trust Starfire to do anything important on their mission, and generally makes her feel demeaned and excluded.
The episode is all the more effective because the person being humiliated is the sweetest, most kind-hearted of the Titans; something that makes her treatment by Zap extra infuriating, and throws the unfairness of it into even sharper relief.

In the end, even after she's personally saved his life, the nicest thing the guy can bring himself to say is she "must be One of the Good Ones." The message "there are always going to be racist shitheads, and their minds probably won't change," was a layer I wouldn't have expected from a kids show. And the above moment from Cyborg was a brilliantly subtle way to remind the audience what the episode is really about without getting literal.

The kicker is that Cyborg is being completely sincere about being looked down on for being part machine. The episode where the Titans meet for the first time, Cyborg is shown wearing heavy clothes to hide his mechanical attributes. What's more, his arc reveals that not only does he miss being human but that he doesn't wish his condition on anyone, even becoming enraged when that arc's main villain not makes himself into a cyborg but intends to do the same to the other Titans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My father had a few huge anthology of Disney comics, in french, dating from the 70s, and this thread got me to borrow two of them: La Vie Explosive de Donald and La vie trépidante de l'Onc' Picous. They contain a lot of the old Carl Barks stories. One of the stories in the Picsou book (the french name for Scrooge McDuck, a pun) has a recurring leitmotif the song Le Temps des Cerises. This song is heavily linked to the events of the Paris Commune, and as such is highly political. I don't think it means anythign within the context oft he story, and it might be something that was added in translation, but I thoguht ti was an interesting detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG0SSXX_d04

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

No mention of Gaines/EC should be unaccompanied by this (which, despite appearing in the nascent Mad Magazine, among other EC publications, is *not* tongue in cheek at all and no I am not being sarcastic):

The SJWs are coming and they want to use media criticism on your comics to make them DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :v:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimera-gui posted:

The kicker is that Cyborg is being completely sincere about being looked down on for being part machine. The episode where the Titans meet for the first time, Cyborg is shown wearing heavy clothes to hide his mechanical attributes. What's more, his arc reveals that not only does he miss being human but that he doesn't wish his condition on anyone, even becoming enraged when that arc's main villain not makes himself into a cyborg but intends to do the same to the other Titans.

Wasn't Cyborg the son of rich, well connected scientists? Hey may have just never experienced racism to a noticeable degree before losing most of his body.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sinking belle posted:

The SJWs are coming and they want to use media criticism on your comics to make them DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY.

It wasn't "SJWs" back then, it was moralizing scolds who read "Seduction of the Innocent" and enforced censorship across the industry. Likening them to communists was clever in the same way likening Jerry Falwell and Rick Santorum to the Taliban is clever.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SedanChair posted:

It wasn't "SJWs" back then, it was moralizing scolds who read "Seduction of the Innocent" and enforced censorship across the industry. Likening them to communists was clever in the same way likening Jerry Falwell and Rick Santorum to the Taliban is clever.
Huh, at some point the interpretation of it I had in my head got mixed up. Yeah okay it's clearly playing into the prevailing McCarthyist climate to take a jab at the CCA, my bad. I think the utter reasonableness of the excerpts at the bottom threw me after I dug it out again.

It's still a testament to how ridiculous a position "political critique of popular media = Marxist indoctrination" is, at least.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Wasn't Cyborg the son of rich, well connected scientists? Hey may have just never experienced racism to a noticeable degree before losing most of his body.

I've never read the comics so I don't know much about the character's history there and the animated series only gives a basic synopsis of Victor Stone's past.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Chimera-gui posted:

I've never read the comics so I don't know much about the character's history there and the animated series only gives a basic synopsis of Victor Stone's past.

Rich black people also experience racism.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mister Beeg posted:

Just want to post this Pearls Before Swine comic, because it fits with this thread:

Thanks for posting this. I don't read Pearls as often as I probably should.

Looks like I got here a bit late.

Enough people have written Dr. Doom with inconsistent character traits that it's hard to pin him down ideologically. Doomwar, What if? #22, Secret Wars, Fantastic Four Epilogue, and other stories paint a picture of a genius with unbreakable will and an ego that is kept in check solely by his messiah complex. As long as his power and authority are not in jeopardy and Reed Richards is not involved, he is honest, honorable, fair, charitable, and just. He's still a tyrant, but he's a tyrant operating from the standpoint of a good king: a ruler is responsible for his subject's well-being. If you have no choice but to live under a fictional villain, Doom is the best option.
Also, malfunctioning Doom Bots let me handwave writers I don't care for.

Scrooge McDuck owned up to his misdeeds depicted in The Empire-Builder from Calisota and was otherwise honest and fair, despite being a real jerk sometimes.

Donald doesn't really push any ideology. He's just a regular guy with simple tastes, a troubled employment history, and occasionally rotten luck. He earnestly loves his family and friends despite his temperamental outbursts. The Duck Who Never Was and Return to Xanadu, both by Don Rosa, are probably my favorite Donald stories.

MLP seems to be set in a theocracy with democratically elected municipal governments.

Hergé recognized the problems in earlier Tintin stories and said as much.

I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought up Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sinking belle posted:

No mention of Gaines/EC should be unaccompanied by this (which, despite appearing in the nascent Mad Magazine, among other EC publications, is *not* tongue in cheek at all and no I am not being sarcastic):

What I'm getting from this is that Gaines is insinuating those who wish to censor his funnybooks (who also probably hated dirty Reds) were themselves Dirty Reds :ussr:

I know Mad had a pretty jaundiced view of life on the other side of the Iron Curtain, though, between the guy who did Spy vs. Spy and a general "all y'all suck."

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop

Chimera-gui posted:

The kicker is that Cyborg is being completely sincere about being looked down on for being part machine.

Totally, the "in-universe" explanation is fine, but I doubt it was a coincidence the writer chose to use Cyborg in the scene. After all, Raven or Beast Boy could both provide similar reasons for being ostracized from society. One's a creepy gray-skinned demon, and the other looks like a goblin.

It's most obvious from the way Cyborg instantly understands what Starfire is feeling, without her having to explain further. "-and you know if you punch him out, it'll just confirm all the bad things he thinks about you."
That one sentence sums up so much frustration. It's not hard to imagine Cyborg's run into the "SEE!? He's an angry thug!" thing before.

Same episode, but different topic: there's an excellent implicit message behind making Valyor the space-racist's bigotry sort of covert at first. The other characters are so distracted by his swagger and flattery that they don't notice Starfire suffering. Even if it's unintentional, that's pretty astute commentary about privilege, and the use of coded rhetoric to make one group feel superior to another.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I said, I'm not well-versed enough with the comics to know Victor's exact history offhand but I can easily see him experiencing both racism as well as prejudice as someone who's part machine even though the writers put much greater emphasis on the latter than the former.

I have an easier time seeing Raven as an alternative for this role since she was feared because of who her father was and exhibits signs of having been ostracized by society. Beast Boy's issues however seem to have less to do with ostracization by society and more the potential consequences of him losing control hence his relationship with both Terra and Raven who both feared the destructive nature of their powers as well as the whole werebeast thing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimera-gui posted:

As I said, I'm not well-versed enough with the comics to know Victor's exact history offhand but I can easily see him experiencing both racism as well as prejudice as someone who's part machine even though the writers put much greater emphasis on the latter than the former.

I have an easier time seeing Raven as an alternative for this role since she was feared because of who her father was and exhibits signs of having been ostracized by society. Beast Boy's issues however seem to have less to do with ostracization by society and more the potential consequences of him losing control hence his relationship with both Terra and Raven who both feared the destructive nature of their powers as well as the whole werebeast thing.

The former is undercut given that her adolescence was spent in a monastery with people who never treated her different in spite of knowing her parenthood, and by no-one knowing the connection between her and the devil.

She is also fully convinced what she is makes her evil by default.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 28, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Samuel Clemens posted:

Following the success of The Blue Lotus, Hergé became much more meticulous in his research, and while I wouldn't go as far as claiming that he completely renounced his conservative views, his later works were much more anti-imperialist in nature. Nowadays, Soviets, Congo, and America are generally considered the odd ones out, and any modern edition of these stories contains an introduction which highlights the problematic aspects and points out that these works are mostly important for their historic value.

I would go that far, and I think he quite explicitly denounced them later in life and spoke openly about how ashamed he was to have been a willing mouthpiece for the Belgian establishment in his youth. poo poo, he's pretty much embracing the left-wing counterculture in his last few books, and that doesn't even count l'Alph Art. He got sucked into the typical middle-class Belgian mindset as a young man, where colonialism was a beneficent force. White man's burden and all that. Belgians (like all European colonialists of the 19th and 20th Centuries) didn't like to see themselves as rightful masters of black people who were free to brutalise and subjugate them for profit, but rather as guardians, and loved to differentiate themselves from what they saw as the barbaric and cruel sort of racism rooted in the Atlantic slave trade. Tintin in America was designed much more to denounce American racism (and thereby elevate Belgium's more paternalistic flavour of the same) than capitalism. Any left-wing sentiments in there are more a sign of Hergé breaking away from what his editors would have him do than anything else.

He was, however, an inveterate womaniser and misogynist to his dying breath.

It's important to acknowledge a certain ethical maturity in ourselves when we examine past generations. It makes us more mindful of how harshly our grandchildren will judge us. But there's also a point at which tut-tutting at historical figures for not sharing our values is exceptionally tedious, and anybody who refuses to enjoy a perfectly good work of fiction because the characters don't reflect the values of their day can go piss up a rope.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's important about the man is that he managed what 99% of D&D is largely incapable of: Dissociating himself from a prevalent worldview after a life experience and some critical introspection, and trying to both make amends and attempt to further himself with more nuance.

It wasn't that he wrote enormously racist screeds to begin with, but the fact that he acknowledged that he himself was wrong and made efforts to educate himself to prevent that happening again. That's the mark of a good man.

The fact that most of his stories kicked rear end is just a bonus.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

I mean hand tilt on the censorship because a lot of that was the industry itself specifically targetting Gaines so there's a little more to that part.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought up Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan.

I haven't read it in years, but it is absolutely for this thread.

quote:

The series details the life of Mitchell Hundred (also known as The Great Machine), the world's first and only superhero, who, in the wake of his actions on 9/11, is elected Mayor of New York City. The story is set during Hundred's term in office, and interwoven with flashbacks to his past as the Great Machine. Through this, the series explores both the political situations Hundred finds himself in, and the mysteries surrounding his superpowers.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Re-watching a lot of older Donald Duck shorts I noticed that the ants, pests that come to steal from Donald and need to be done away with, are either portrayed as racist caricatures of Africans or American Indians. It is incredibly blatant and jarring, and the message does seem to be that those groups are pests and thieves to be loathed as an annoyance at best.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

The former is undercut given that her adolescence was spent in a monastery with people who never treated her different in spite of knowing her parenthood, and by no-one knowing the connection between her and the devil.

She is also fully convinced what she is makes her evil by default.

Fair enough point, whatever fear of Trigon that Raven's caretakers had didn't negatively effect their treatment of her. This does seem to signify why Cyborg was chosen for the scene since he was the most likely to experience prejudice in one form or another of the three Morton mentioned.

While Beast Boy's appearance/powers could potentially have yielded a story where he was treated like an animal, it was rarely if ever used. His focus episodes were more about him learning the importance of discipline and that his actions can have consequences.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I think they picked Cyborg because he's black you guys. I don't think they ran every teen Titan through the Privilege Calculator Online test.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

Re-watching a lot of older Donald Duck shorts I noticed that the ants, pests that come to steal from Donald and need to be done away with, are either portrayed as racist caricatures of Africans or American Indians. It is incredibly blatant and jarring, and the message does seem to be that those groups are pests and thieves to be loathed as an annoyance at best.

Yeah, I noticed that. It was *really* jarring, but then they turn it around and have them be the winners at the same time because Donald just can't do anything without being a cruel rear end in a top hat.

http://youtu.be/QYTI4JECVY4?t=1m9s for the big 'wow that's racist' thing.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue encourages children to embrace bigotry against recreational drug users.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Math Debater posted:

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue encourages children to embrace bigotry against recreational drug users.
I was always amazed how inaccurately those things portrayed drug users/dealers compared to real ones I met later in life. Have they gotten better since then?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You tell me - is Walter White particularly sympathetic?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

I meant in children's cartoons...the topic of this discussion, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

SO up in the wild untamed north known as Canada we had The Raccoons/Les Raquettes. As per Canadian tradition, it was pretty heavily enivironmentalist and anti-consumer/anti-capitalist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, as Seanbaby put it back in the late paleolithic, these anti-drug ads mostly taught you how to say no in the face of people who were very actively into sharing illegal drugs for free. It usually wasn't even at a party or something, it was your friends pushing a MARIHUANA CIGARETTE on you at the lockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

Depends on if you're talking about season 1 or literally any season after that

• Locked thread