Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrandorKP posted:

I just thought of one that is overtly ideological: Thomas and Friends. But it's conservative.

I mean watch this:
http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friend...+of+the+diesels

It's straight up anti-union, anti-workers rights propaganda.

I take it this is some new version of Thomas without George Carlin (or Ringo for that matter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's all CGI now. But a lot the old Thomas stuff had some ideological bias too. All that business about being "useful" engines is very Anglican. Which makes sense because the author of the books was an Anglican minister.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
This one time one of the trains got immured in a tunnel for decades because it dared go on strike.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

E-Tank posted:

Sounds good to me. I don't want to discuss Gamergate or journalism, I want to discuss the messages in the games themselves. And I want to start the discussion with what is in my opinion the biggest piece of triple AAA poo poo that has ever existed.

Call of Juarez: The Cartel.

In the Cartel, you play between three different characters, each terrible in their own right. Early on they say that a character is skilled at their job, but also imply that they only got that job because of affirmative action. The entire crux of the plot is so stupid it almost boggles the mind how someone sat there and thought "Yeah, this would work as a plot."

The entire plot is based around Mexican drug lords coming to America to kidnap women to sell as sex slaves in Mexico. Which makes no loving sense. The danger, the costs involved would far outweigh any possible profits. The opposite is much more likely. If anyone is going to be involved in human trafficking it'd be the drug cartel selling Mexican women to Americans. But we can't have America looking bad so they swapped the villain roles.

There's also a really *stupid* level based in LA, called 'gangbang'. Its about trying to stir up some gang warfare between two gangs and is the only level where every single enemy is African American. It is also the only level where you receive an achievement for killing a certain number of enemies in the level.. The name of the achievement? 'Bad Guy'. So there is literally an achievement for killing 40 black people whom are following the right wing rhetoric of 'violent thugs'.

The game is awful, it's badly done and the gimmick of the co-op (Don't let your co-op buddy do illegal things to upgrade his weapons) makes no goddamn sense because if you're doing that, you're hamstringing both you and your partner. It continues the myth of a cop being the one thing standing between you and a band of vicious animals. It fucks up the history and truth of the Mexican drug cartel wars, which is such a big thing it could do with a topic on this forum all by itself, and it once again ingrains the idea that Americans are better than other people in every single way.

I touched on a few things here but really, I'm gonna credit Extra Credits for most of this. They also have a *really* good explanation and discussion of Propoganda games, found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4_bMhZ4gA and the next video they did was in fact on the Cartel where I cribbed a lot of the info.

Mother.loving.Oliver.North.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

It's all CGI now. But a lot the old Thomas stuff had some ideological bias too. All that business about being "useful" engines is very Anglican. Which makes sense because the author of the books was an Anglican minister.

What about something a little more overt? Like how Thomas and his friends all give off nice, white smoke, while the evil diesel engines give off dirty, nasty black smoke, and are all shifty, lazy thieves?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Many cartoons, such as he-man, present a strongly negative caricature of skeletons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shbobdb posted:

Many cartoons, such as he-man, present a strongly negative caricature of skeletons.
He-Man does have the positive message of not giving up in the face of adversity. Skeletor becoming a buff skeleton is a real triump of will.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

There's actually quite a pro-skeleton bias in movies such as Nightmare before christmas and Corpse Bride. The skeletons are all singing and dancing and having the time of their lives.

Though one has to wonder if that's stemming from prejudice of the ' dancing funny-bone man' trope.

Realtalk:

I'm thinking more and more about the biases of creators of things like the Neverhood. For those of you unaware, The Neverhood was a c/klaymation adventure game in the vein of old lucasarts games.
Point and click, you don't really ever die (except in one very well labeled case) you just take the abuse and keep on going.

However The Neverhood (And it's spiritual successor Armikrog) was made by one Doug TenNapel.

Doug TenNapel whom has been quoted as saying poo poo like this.

Doug TenNapel posted:

When asked on what grounds he opposed gay marriage, TenNapel said, "The same argument I have against letting a man take a dump in the ladies room.
And (sic) office appropriate for one sex isn’t automatically appropriate for another, no matter how much a man loves taking a dump in the ladies room."

Now you can find the parallels in the Neverhood between it and the bible, the making of video in the game itself says as such. There's even the 'Wall of history' that young kids like myself trekked down, looking for any sort of clue on what to do next. I even in desperation tried reading the entire damned thing, and found quite a few quirky re-tellings of biblical tales. Imagine Joseph and the coat of many colors with 'really well sewn shorts' instead of a rainbow fashion statement and not understanding dreams, but being able to read what might happen in the future from someone's bedhead. The biases weren't shown through here in the game, as it never really came up. It was a quirky tale that took cues from the bible, a fairly well understand book. There was most certainly not a 'god', in fact on the wall of history there were something like 12 creators or 'gods'. I guess one part of the thing I'm rambling about (aside from Neverhood, loving love that game) is how much should we associate an artist with his art? A bit like Ender's game and Orson Scott Card being a homophobic piece of poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shbobdb posted:

Your argument is going to confuse the gently caress out of anyone still using the sjw->skeleton filter.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
They aren't really people, though, so... :shrug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Freakazoid_ posted:

Your argument is going to confuse the gently caress out of anyone still using the sjw->skeleton filter.

There's an sjw inside you right now

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does anybody ant to talk about Fang of the Sun Dougram's presentation of an insurgency?

I'm pretty sure it's the only 80s children's cartoon directly inspired by The Battle of Algiers.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I played BLOPS2 thanks to :filez: cause I swore off paying for a COD game after BLOPS1 but I was writing an article for my college's politicization political magazine about ideology in pop culture so I played the game just to have some first hand experience and it was Fox News the game, evil wealth redistributing poor and Hispanic people, Christ you go back to Afghanistan in the 80s and and after you beat back the Soviets with the Mujahideen, they suddenly turn on you and talk about how your the real enemy America was always the real enemy and I turned that poo poo off right there I was so floored by that.

Though hell it's not like the Vietnam levels in the first game were any better, but I think those flew under the radar more just because of the popularity of counterfactual back to Vietnam action movies especially from the 80s.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

KomradeX posted:

I played BLOPS2 thanks to :filez: cause I swore off paying for a COD game after BLOPS1 but I was writing an article for my college's politicization political magazine about ideology in pop culture so I played the game just to have some first hand experience and it was Fox News the game, evil wealth redistributing poor and Hispanic people, Christ you go back to Afghanistan in the 80s and and after you beat back the Soviets with the Mujahideen, they suddenly turn on you and talk about how your the real enemy America was always the real enemy and I turned that poo poo off right there I was so floored by that.

Though hell it's not like the Vietnam levels in the first game were any better, but I think those flew under the radar more just because of the popularity of counterfactual back to Vietnam action movies especially from the 80s.

BLOPS felt more like a pastiche of action movies than anything, with the references to everything from Terminator to Rambo to The Deer Hunter and The Manchurian Candidate than any sort of serious exercise in storytelling. It was the opposite of the first Modern Warfare in a decent way, instead playing off the jingoism and military fetishism whereas MW dove right into 'war sucks and the people who make war suck' storyline that was forgotten by MW2.

BLOPS 2 didn't take the hint, and instead of giving us a play on 'future war' media like Universal Soldier or Verhooven 'Starship Troopers', it dove right into the right-wing otherism and 'set upon priveleged' bullcrap. No small wonder why an rear end in a top hat like North would endorse it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

J.A.B.C. posted:

BLOPS felt more like a pastiche of action movies than anything, with the references to everything from Terminator to Rambo to The Deer Hunter and The Manchurian Candidate than any sort of serious exercise in storytelling. It was the opposite of the first Modern Warfare in a decent way, instead playing off the jingoism and military fetishism whereas MW dove right into 'war sucks and the people who make war suck' storyline that was forgotten by MW2.

BLOPS 2 didn't take the hint, and instead of giving us a play on 'future war' media like Universal Soldier or Verhooven 'Starship Troopers', it dove right into the right-wing otherism and 'set upon priveleged' bullcrap. No small wonder why an rear end in a top hat like North would endorse it.

I will now summerize my experience with COD: Ghost in five words and a Gif.

Secure our borders, The game.

I will now expand upon this.

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience that made me ashamed to have paid 50 bux for what seems like a game designed sorely to profit off illegal immigration fear mongering. It was homefront with higher production values, and it made me ashamed to call myself an American.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

You know, just like how movies sometimes get funding from the US Military for showing the army/navy/whatever in a good enough light, you have to wonder if video games can get the same thing. I wonder if that's what happened here. Military soldiers are all good guys, fresh faced heroic American Soldiers who love their mothers and apple pies. They're super human but still human enough to be upset when one of their own gets injured or killed, but not enough of a pansy to let that whole loss of a close friend keep them from going on and killing dozens of russians terrorists nazi enemies of the week.

Hell considering the first one started out with you attempting to assassinate Castro, I'm surprised there's not been one with a mission based around killing Osama Bin Ladin.

Klaus88 posted:

It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience that made me ashamed to have paid 50 bux for what seems like a game designed sorely to profit off illegal immigration fear mongering. It was homefront with higher production values, and it made me ashamed to call myself an American.

I heard some kind of good things with Homefront, like it pointed out the pointlessness of it all and poo poo, but yeah I'd heard Ghost was basically Propaganda: Right Wing Rhetoric the video game. Sad to hear exactly how terrible it was. Mind explaining a few of the points that they made?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IGN asked Zelda: Tri Force Heroes director Hiromasa Shikata if you'd have the option of playing a female character:

quote:

I’m going to tell you a little bit about the story quickly and we'll circle around, here. There's this kingdom, an event happens, and the king needs heroes. So, he puts out a call for heroes to gather and one of those is this guy Link. He sees this audition, basically, ‘Heroes needed; apply here.’ And, that's the start of his adventure.

The story calls for this sort of legend/prophecy where heroes will come together to help solve a problem. And in that, they are male characters. So, because the game is set with that as the story background, you cannot choose a gender; you are a male character.

"Sorry folks, but the prophecy we made up for this game we made is out of our hands!" What a bullshit excuse. I can't even wrap my head around why the prophecy would require male heroes. Why can't women work together to solve a problem? And it's not like the game plays up the characters' masculinity - Shikata admits that "Link isn't the most masculine of guys in the world," and the interviewer points out that you can get a Zelda outfit for your character!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Freakazoid_ posted:

:thejoke:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

E-Tank posted:

You know, just like how movies sometimes get funding from the US Military for showing the army/navy/whatever in a good enough light, you have to wonder if video games can get the same thing. I wonder if that's what happened here. Military soldiers are all good guys, fresh faced heroic American Soldiers who love their mothers and apple pies. They're super human but still human enough to be upset when one of their own gets injured or killed, but not enough of a pansy to let that whole loss of a close friend keep them from going on and killing dozens of russians terrorists nazi enemies of the week.

There was at least one game where Actual War Criminal Oliver North did consulting. Not to mention the game that the Army put out a while back

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

majormonotone posted:

There was at least one game where Actual War Criminal Oliver North did consulting. Not to mention the game that the Army put out a while back

Yeah, the BLOPS 2 debacle discussed earlier was it, I think. And America's Army is kind of terrifying because while it doesn't shy away from saying that being in the military is dangerous, it downplays the fact that while you're told 'oh you're the good guy, they're the bad guy' in the game, in reality it's not so cut and dry.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is awesome. Great job analyzing childrens cartoons everyone!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If be shocked to find out the military DIDNT play a hand in all these Propaganda/Army recruitment games.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'm not sure how to parse this post.

E-Tank posted:

I heard some kind of good things with Homefront, like it pointed out the pointlessness of it all and poo poo, but yeah I'd heard Ghost was basically Propaganda: Right Wing Rhetoric the video game. Sad to hear exactly how terrible it was. Mind explaining a few of the points that they made?

Oddly enough the new Wolfenstein games are pretty good about not otherizing anyone, even the Nazis. :catstare:

Where to start?

Well- the enemy has shifted from Russian fascists and Islamic terrorists to :freep: :HISPANICS! :freep: as we're told that the entirety of South America has united into one giant generically named coalition called, "The Federation". The game completely misses the opportunity to make a ton of Star Trek jokes, which I feel would have lightened the oppressive air that lingers over everything in COD: Ghost.

The narrative centers on a character who happens to be generic white guy number 89857089 and his brother, generic white guy number 89857090. They left such a strong impression on me I can't remember their names. The brother's :geno: father grizzled older mentor number 77894735 is also along for the ride, and the story opens with him recounting the story of a previous COD game through a stylized flashback while they're all camped in the woods like TRUE AMERICAN MEN! :911:

Then poo poo hits the fan of course. It turns out the Federation is pissed about petty poo poo like the whole "Monroe doctrine" and CIA hit squads and propping up brutal dictators and have seized control of an orbital weapons satellite. That the United States built. :ughh: I think weapons in orbit are outlawed by international treaty but this is COD land where such petty concerns do not apply. At which point the Federation blows up a bunch of American cities and kicks off a war.

There is a bunch of game play and boring story and gadgets that make weapons contractors hard but it's not interesting so I'm gonna skip ahead to the next bit of story that is important. The ghosts seem to be some kind of poorly defined special forces that wear very stupid masks all the time and speak entirely in jargon and acronyms. It turns out that the Federation war effort is being led by "GASP" an ex-ghost! Because those dirty spics can't do anything right without a white man in charge. It also turns out that while the Federation was getting on its feet, the United States sent a force to stomp it too pieces and assassinate its leader. :ughh: Because that has worked out so well in the past right?

Anyway more poo poo happens and you have to blow up an oil derrick that is capable of supplying the entirety of South America by itself in order to cripple the enemy. :stare: Someone one to run the numbers on how much of a disaster that would be? The derrick is located in the south pole.

Through some Bond bullshit, you learn that those dirty Feds are making and launching their own orbital weapons systems, and if they come online America is pretty much finished. It all comes down to one big battle and risking the United State's "last Carrier" to seize control of the Feds weapons Satellites. I wondered what happened to the other 10 carriers personally and what dumb gently caress Admiral got them all sunk but whatever. More poo poo happens, stuff blows up, you grab control of the weapons statallie and sink the Fed's fleet and everything is happy and the all go home for apple pie.

There is also a very shameful post-credit squeal hook at the game's end but I won't be wasting anymore money on Call of Duty every again. :barf::barf::barf:

PATRIOTIC EDIT: This is all based on a very imperfect recollection of the game and I write best when I just type my thoughts out as fast as possible without really bothering to filter anything so sorry if that makes it difficult to read.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 9, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
With the help of some graphically pornographic images, I would like to explain how My Little Pony clearly and explicitly endorses the Dark Enlightenment. . .

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... you play as the bad guy in COD: Ghosts? Because I was getting a definite "Hans... are we the baddies?" vibe reading that summary.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Randalor posted:

So... you play as the bad guy in COD: Ghosts? Because I was getting a definite "Hans... are we the baddies?" vibe reading that summary.

:allears: You poor sheltered soul.

It really is one of those "extremism in defense of freedom is completely justified" pieces of media, devoid of all critical thought and self examination.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Klaus88 posted:

I'm not sure how to parse this post.

Oddly enough the new Wolfenstein games are pretty good about not otherizing anyone, even the Nazis. :catstare:

Where to start?

Well- the enemy has shifted from Russian fascists and Islamic terrorists to :freep: :HISPANICS! :freep: as we're told that the entirety of South America has united into one giant generically named coalition called, "The Federation". The game completely misses the opportunity to make a ton of Star Trek jokes, which I feel would have lightened the oppressive air that lingers over everything in COD: Ghost.

The narrative centers on a character who happens to be generic white guy number 89857089 and his brother, generic white guy number 89857090. They left such a strong impression on me I can't remember their names. The brother's :geno: father grizzled older mentor number 77894735 is also along for the ride, and the story opens with him recounting the story of a previous COD game through a stylized flashback while they're all camped in the woods like TRUE AMERICAN MEN! :911:

Then poo poo hits the fan of course. It turns out the Federation is pissed about petty poo poo like the whole "Monroe doctrine" and CIA hit squads and propping up brutal dictators and have seized control of an orbital weapons satellite. That the United States built. :ughh: I think weapons in orbit are outlawed by international treaty but this is COD land where such petty concerns do not apply. At which point the Federation blows up a bunch of American cities and kicks off a war.

There is a bunch of game play and boring story and gadgets that make weapons contractors hard but it's not interesting so I'm gonna skip ahead to the next bit of story that is important. The ghosts seem to be some kind of poorly defined special forces that wear very stupid masks all the time and speak entirely in jargon and acronyms. It turns out that the Federation war effort is being led by "GASP" an ex-ghost! Because those dirty spics can't do anything right without a white man in charge. It also turns out that while the Federation was getting on its feet, the United States sent a force to stomp it too pieces and assassinate its leader. :ughh: Because that has worked out so well in the past right?

Anyway more poo poo happens and you have to blow up an oil derrick that is capable of supplying the entirety of South America by itself in order to cripple the enemy. :stare: Someone one to run the numbers on how much of a disaster that would be? The derrick is located in the south pole.

Through some Bond bullshit, you learn that those dirty Feds are making and launching their own orbital weapons systems, and if they come online America is pretty much finished. It all comes down to one big battle and risking the United State's "last Carrier" to seize control of the Feds weapons Satellites. I wondered what happened to the other 10 carriers personally and what dumb gently caress Admiral got them all sunk but whatever. More poo poo happens, stuff blows up, you grab control of the weapons statallie and sink the Fed's fleet and everything is happy and the all go home for apple pie.

There is also a very shameful post-credit squeal hook at the game's end but I won't be wasting anymore money on Call of Duty every again. :barf::barf::barf:

PATRIOTIC EDIT: This is all based on a very imperfect recollection of the game and I write best when I just type my thoughts out as fast as possible without really bothering to filter anything so sorry if that makes it difficult to read.

But that's just a theory...A GAME theory.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Parsing, understanding and analyzing all-ages popular culture, especially when those cultural products are in fact consumed by all age groups, is enormously helpful to understanding the directions wider culture is going in and what kinds of messages younger minds are receiving, overtly or otherwise. hth.

Meanwhile, I'm sort of busy going in a bunch of time-wasting directions all at once outside the internet, but I really want to call more attention to the Fleischer Superman shorts, because with the Supes discussion earlier, no discussion of Superman is complete without looking at these in-depth, and I wish I had time to sit down and do a write-up/research more writing about these. These were one of the earlier "consumed by all age groups" cartoons and had an enormous impact on the perception of superheroes, the approach to Superman and even to cartooning. They moved away from a lot of that early "Superman defends the common man from real perils" material that Literally The Worst mentioned and into more fantastical opponents, because they made for more spectacle. There's also a fair bit going on beneath the surface - the way the shorts deal with Lois can be kind of complicated, despite her being in constant need of rescue, as one example.

The best part for our purposes, though, is that the shorts are all actually in the public domain, so you can watch them for yourself and parse them at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfp_r1A709h-Q8JSi-HLThtzLtRykeY8P

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 10, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Video games are just children's cartoons you can control.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

"Have you looked at your mask recently? It has a skull on it."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SpaceDrake posted:

Parsing, understanding and analyzing all-ages popular culture, especially when those cultural products are in fact consumed by all age groups, is enormously helpful to understanding the directions wider culture is going in and what kinds of messages younger minds are receiving, overtly or otherwise. hth.

Something like this really should be in the OP since it's kind of the underlying assumption of the thread, unless we want to collectively pretend that Jaws had nothing to do with modern societal views of sharks. (protip: Jaws has a lot to do with modern societal views of sharks.)

Culture influences media. Media influences culture. Without an understanding of this, of course the thread's gonna seem dumb.

And someone's gonna think this means I'm saying seeing Bugs Bunny smack a racist caricature will instantly make the viewer racist, and god no are you stupid? It's merely one of many influencing factors. We need to be cognizant of this effect because, well, they seem like harmless cartoons.

But how many "don't feed the bears" signs had to be put up because of Yogi Bear just wanting a pic-a-nic basket and people not knowing bears are kinda dangerous?

Same with video games, or, really, any form of media. It all presents ideas, messages.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Something like this really should be in the OP since it's kind of the underlying assumption of the thread, unless we want to collectively pretend that Jaws had nothing to do with modern societal views of sharks. (protip: Jaws has a lot to do with modern societal views of sharks.)

I mean, when I was a kid, I wasn't just consuming kids' media. I wasn't even just consuming all ages media - I played Mortal Kombat. "Call of Duty: Dolchstosslegende" might be labelled as an adult product, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of children who are playing it and whose worldviews could theoretically be affected.

quote:

But how many "don't feed the bears" signs had to be put up because of Yogi Bear just wanting a pic-a-nic basket and people not knowing bears are kinda dangerous?

I feel like this was effectively addressed by that PSA back in the 90s. "Not pic-a-nic baskets, pic-a-nic caskets."

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Video games rated M are largely the most juvenile and kids react to that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

Yeah, the BLOPS 2 debacle discussed earlier was it, I think. And America's Army is kind of terrifying because while it doesn't shy away from saying that being in the military is dangerous, it downplays the fact that while you're told 'oh you're the good guy, they're the bad guy' in the game, in reality it's not so cut and dry.

Well it is a recruiting tool, you'd hardly expect then to start adressing the pointlessness of war in an era of rapidly shifting geopolitical alliances. That's what we have MGS3 for.

Klaus88 posted:

:allears: You poor sheltered soul.

It really is one of those "extremism in defense of freedom is completely justified" pieces of media, devoid of all critical thought and self examination.

Alot of people think it's intentional self parody at this point.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Alot of people think it's intentional self parody at this point.

A lot of people are wrong.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I just finished watching The Taking of Tiger Mountain and that's somehow less blatant propaganda than CoD possibly excepting the dinner scene at the end.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, I forgot the constant barrage of bullshit warrior elite pseudo-philosophy the game bombards you about what a soldier is and isn't at every loving turn. At some point, for it to be parody, I feel the game would have to stand up and shout that it is officially a parody.

Personally I always prefer the image I got from reading Steven Ambrose's books about a citizen soldiers who just want to get the job done and get home in one piece, even if it is not very accurate in regards to today's military.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I prefer Terry Pratchett's idea of a soldier, which is of a man that more than anything else wants to go home with all of his limbs. He doesn't say the calm before the battle is the worst part, no, the worst part is when you are gutted and spend agonizing minutes bleeding to death alone and afraid. The calm, that part where nothing is shooting you, hacking at you or killing you? That's the best part.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

so apparently a producer for tmnt 2012 said “Anytime a girl’s on the show they’re usually too powerful… This happened on Teen Titans… I’ve been fighting it with April to not let her get too powerful… Sometimes guys are a lot cooler and easier to deal with… [With Karai and April as the token bad girl and token good girl] we’re kinda maxed out a little bit.”

Tmnt 2012 got maligned by the usual crowd looking to be offended by something not being what is was when they were kids, just looking at the designs and then crying about how their childhood had been raped, but seasons 1 and 2 were really high quality stuff. It was the best show on Nick since Avatar, really. But the show pretty much turned to garbage season 3. The tviv thread's fallen off the map as season 3 started weak and continued to be noticeably not as amazing throughout. I don't feel like checking at the moment who's in charge of what but it would be really funny if this guy was in charge of season 3 or something because this kind of goes against the premise of how april was reimagined in this series JUST so she'd be able to fight and be useful in the turtles battles and hang out with them more and other stuff.

Stolen from TVIV.

This is a thing that happened in the TYOL 2015.

This is basically saying that woman are not equal, that equality between the sexes is not worth striving for, that allowing women to have a fair share in society is bad, that depicting powerful women in a show ruins the show, and that having characters that girls might be able to look up to is a poo poo idea. What a perfect shitstorm of regressive bullshit disguised as the gender version of "colorblindness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WarpedNaba posted:

If Michael Bay can be self-aware about stuff I don't see why they can't.

• Locked thread