Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Please talk about codeword Venefix in the post-game.

Meanwhile, sword at the ready to back up our alarm dagger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tucked under the mattress. Still within easy reach but not liable to catch the eye of a passing thief.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Blade at the ready! To stab our bad dreams, obvi

Also, some light googling shows that Veneficus means sorceror, so venefix might jus be bad latin for sorceror as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I seem to recall a joke that sleeping with a sword at your side is a good way to cut your dick off in the night. Mattress

Also was this discussed eaerlier?

quote:

You dream of searching a forest for your lost mother.

I just did a quick search and I did not see any mention of our mother, missing or otherwise. I just assumed that we were grown, and our mom was dead.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Mattress due to aforementioned dick amputation risk.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Veyrall posted:

Also, some light googling shows that Veneficus means sorceror, so venefix might jus be bad latin for sorceror as well.

Veneficus mostly means "poisonous" in latin, so I guess it has to do with what happens if we don't read the Book of Ghandi +1 in the forest (IE: our heart gets "poisoned with hate" maybe?).

Anyway, hide the blade under the bed, we don't want anyone to think that we're a terrorist an enemy combatant.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Veneficus mostly means "poisonous" in latin, so I guess it has to do with what happens if we don't read the Book of Ghandi +1 in the forest (IE: our heart gets "poisoned with hate" maybe?).

Note how that update has no mention of what happens if you don't have either of the codewords, so I assume you'd get Venefix automatically if you don't get Satori.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Sword to hand! And boots on.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen it posted here, so here goes: Satori is apparently "awakened" or something like that, from Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satori

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I love it. This man's D&D campaign must have been awesome. Hunted Jewish refugees fighting against a corrupt evil lord, using the power of superior Eastern philosophy to fight hate. Literally.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sword under the bed.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 90 posted:

You pass a restful night. As the sun slants in through the broken cellar roof, you get ready to set out for your rendezvous with Lucie.

Turn to 7.

Page 7 posted:

On your way to Lucie the next day, you notice bushels of red flowers bobbing on the surface of the Circle Canal and wander over to the edge to look. On closer inspection they look like pieces of meat. An uneasy feeling steals over you as you realize they are human hearts, hundreds of them, bobbing on the surface, waiting for carrion crows. These cannot be the hearts of the slaughtered Judain for your people hang in cages and their chests are still intact.

When you arrive at the Garden of Statues, Lucie is there, looking as pretty as ever. She pretends not to have seen you and walks down the deserted street towards a dog-handler who has a gigantic deerhound straining at a leash. Perhaps Lucie doesn't want to give you away, in which case she is being very streetwise. You can stay hidden here but the dog seems to have picked up your scent and barks excitedly. What is it that makes bloodhounds bark so? Is the dog already imagining sinking his teeth into soft manflesh?

Lucie may have some plan.

Will you wait to see what she does (turn to 27), or break cover and walk out into the street (turn to 39)?

: I could have sworn I scrubbed off the last of that slime. Can the dog really pick up the scent of Judainflesh over the cloying aroma of seahearts?

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'The Hammer' Sherman the Nazirite

Skills: CHARMS, CUNNING, SWORDPLAY and WILDERNESS LORE

Life Points: 7/12

Gleenars: 9

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt, full slime sack

Codewords: Satori

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Wait and see. Hopefully if things go wrong we'll get a second chance to respond: if not, at least we should be able to stay in hiding and get away.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
As much as I love to fuss a nice doggy, in this instance I think that we should wait and see.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait and see

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 27 posted:

Lucie gives a sweetmeat to the dog which wolfs it down and then starts to nuzzle the pocket of her dress for more. The dog-handler leers at the pretty girl.

You walk out into the street and the dog notices you right away, giving vent to the sighting cry - a series of short urgent barks which sound like 'Look there, look there, look there.' The dog-handler sees you and slips the dog off the leash and runs towards you, drawing his sword. Lucie sticks out her leg and trips him. He goes sprawling flat on his face in the muddy gutter, his sword clattering towards you across the cobbles. The dog stops still with its tail down.

Will you make a dash for the sword (turn to 124), or go to Lucie's help without delay (turn to 75)?

Character Sheet posted:

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt, full slime sack

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Help Lucie

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Help her. We already have a sword, and what's the dog going to do with it, pick it up and stab us in the back?

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Help!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha, do you stab the dog or help your friend? What a choice!

Help Lucie

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Help the damsel in our distress.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Do we have the skill of Lucie-helping? No, but we clearly know about making a play for the sword.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 75 posted:

Lucie didn't need you help, she is already half-way to the dubious sanctuary of the Silver Eel tavern. You have lost the opportunity of picking up another sword. The dog-handler has retrieved it and he pulls his dog roughly behind him as he sets out home again.

Will you follow Lucie to the Silver Eel right now (turn to 261), or bide your time and seek her out later today (turn to 371)?

: Well, I can still dual-wield with the slime sack...can't I?

Character Sheet posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Follow Lucie to the Silver Eel right now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Go now. Hurry. Do it.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Always go to the tavern. Right now.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 261 posted:

Lucie's light feet carry her to the door of the notorious Silver Eel tavern. A long, low dark grey building without a single window facing out onto the street, it is a notorious haunt of thieves and cutthroats. On the steps Lucie is greeted by a huge man dressed in black quilted leather armor, who has a bush of corn yellow hair in corkscrew spirals.

Will you follow onto her turf, inside the Silver Eel (turn to 86), or slink back to your hidey-hole on Bumble Row (turn to 199)?

Character Sheet posted:

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Do you want an adventure? Y/N

(go in the tavern)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You'd be surprised how many times players choose the option to not have an adventure. Go to the tavern and meet an old man with a map to some treasure and find three like-minded individuals to accompany you.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Well, we don't have STREETWISE which is obviously the skill we'll need here, but we may have enough CUNNING to fake our way in. Let's give the Silver Eel a shot.

Either we'll have fun or ruin things for Lucie.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

At least they told us we lost the option to get a second sword.

Follow Lucie

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Acknowledging that we may be beginning to look quite creepy, continue to follow Lucie to the place where she hangs out.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

You'd be surprised how many times players choose the option to not have an adventure.

Well, what's the worst that could happen?

Oh. :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Follow her. We need to find 3 more members of our party...are we the cleric?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Kaislioc posted:

Well, what's the worst that could happen?

Oh. :v:

Usually someone bursts through the door screaming about the town being under attack/someone's murder or kidnapping/ or an angry rear end in a top hat with a note about assassinating the party on him kicks the door off its hinges.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, we were given the option three times to avoid Lucie. After we decided that we were going to meet with her.

1) You see Lucie, who you planned to meet, at the time and place you agreed to meet. Do you proceed? Y/N
2) Lucie has gone down an alley, do you follow? Y/N
3) Lucie has now gone into a seedy bar, do you enter? Y/N

Yes, Book, I'm sure I would like to proceed with my choices that I made a while ago. Go in the drat bar alreaady

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 86 posted:

The inside of the Silver Eel is much as you expected. Sawdust covers curdled puddles of vomit or blood on the creaking floor. There are rough trestles for seats, a few with initials carved deep into the dark old wood - it is amazing that most of these lowlifes even know how to write their initials. The thick green bottle-glass in the lanterns gives the whole of the interior a strange unreal look. A dozen pairs of eyes swivel, assessing you at a glance before returning to drinks or companions.

The tall blond man has walked to the bar and ordered firewater for himself and lemon bitters for Lucie. He is dressed in a suit of the most outlandish armor you have ever seen. It is a patchwork quilt of jagged bosses and scales, which altogether make a very striking and rather chilling outfit to look upon.

The landlord, an ex-captain at the dueling school with scars and the tip of an ear missing as testament to the many fights he has been in with unruly customers is quick to serve this towering figure of a young man. Lucie is quite at east with him as if she knows him well.

The tall blond man darts a glance at you and looks quizzical. He is very pale of skin and his cheekbones are dusted with freckles. Lucie puts her arm around his waist and whispers something. He replies and you hear the word 'Judain', after which he hawks a gobbet of phlegm into the sawdust. He puts his hand on Lucie's bottom but she smacks it away and takes her drink to a table in a nook at the back of the tavern, followed by the tall stranger. There is a group of four men drinking small beer who could be either artisans or thieves. Two women wearing lace and silks and not much of either laugh scurrilously in the alcove beyond, and a single dark figure lurks at the far end of the bar smoking a pipe.

Will you order a drink from the bar (turn to 113), ask the gang of four where you can find Melmelo the master thief (turn to 132), or join Lucie and the tall stranger (turn to 227)?

: Wait, what? Master who? What about Strider in the corner, and those ladies of...questionable fashion sense?

Character Sheet posted:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Master thief???

Hell, we've come this far, let's join our friends for a drink. Go see Lucie!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Lucie and Captain Caucasian seem to be the people to meet in this bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Lucie looks like Siouxsie Sioux in that little picture. Go and talk to her. Maybe ask for an autograph.

• Locked thread