Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Stables. I feel like getting tromped on by a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sea wall sounds safer then taking the Overlord head on.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Stables, because we might befriend a nice horse.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Sea Wall!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Sea wall.

Because the Overlord's Stable sound like a good way to meet the Overlord's friends.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Hmm yes let's just walk right into a military location owned by the people who want us dead. Wait, let's not. Sea wall.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Stables it's the last move they would expect and we don't have the cunning skill for nothing!

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Throwing in another vote for Sea wall.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

We can probably part the sea wall

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 352 posted:

When you reach the new breach in the sea wall you find it choked with decaying bodies, almost oas if Hate had voided itself into the sea. But they do not show the purple blotches of Hate's contagion. Something or someone else has piled these bodies here. Sickened by the stench you decide to find a different path.

Turn to 262.

And with that, we dispel the illusion of choice in this section of the narrative.

Page 262 posted:

Your times spent skulking unseen while casing the houses of the well-to-do will stand you in good stead now. One of the things you have learned is to make sure you always know of two possible escape routes. One is the storm drain that feeds into the Imperial Basin, where the Crescent Canal and Grand Canal meet. The other is the secret tunnel that leads underground to the burial crypts of the Megiddo dynasty, a family of kings who made great conquests in Godorno's golden age and brought prosperity to the city they ruled.

If you have FOLKLORE turn to 294.
Otherwise turn to 339.

Page 339 posted:

As far as you know no one who has desecrated the tombs of the Megiddo dynasty has ever come back out of the catacombs. You resolve to be very careful. It is said that four tomb robbers of the Savanorola years did escape but that they had been turned into foul-smelling scarab beetles, which were eaten alive by pigs.

Turn to 409.

: Pigs? Unclean beasts, though surprisingly sharp. Could have been worse though - at least they didn't get translocated into the Skyfall continuity...

Page 409 posted:

The catacombs under the palace are dark and eerie. There is an evil resonance here, as if unspeakable acts had been carried out far from the light of day. You find your way carefully forward until you reach the cellar stairs that lead up into the palace.

Turn to 279.

And thus it passed that our explorations of the catacombs became our exploration of the palace because.

Page 279 posted:

You are taking a terrible risk, stealing into the Overlord's palace. It is a dark night and you fight to control a blackness of heart which impels you to take revenge on the cruel tyrannical Overlord.

Emerging out of the catacombs beneath the palace stables you make your way in by the postern gate and steal along strangely deserted corridors towards where you guess the Overlord's suite must be.

There are few guards here, though you can hear the sounds of a drunken brawl in the guardhouse itself. How can the Overlord's security be so lax? Is he losing his grip?

After only five minutes inside the palace you are outside the Overlord's bedchamber. Holding your breath you push open the door and step through.

Turn to 30.

: Alright, jerk. Since apparently I can't rob graves I guess I'll just have to disturb your beauty sleep.

Page 30 posted:

The Overlord lies beside his concubine, the silk sheets disturbed by his restless tossing and turning. The back of the girl is towards you and her fair pale skin is disfigured by what look like vile purple birthmarks that are weeping a clear yellowish fluid and puckered at the edges. She seems to be sleeping the sleep of the damned. He is breathing stertorously and twitching occasionally, while she is as still as death. The smell of putrefaction is here just as it pervades and penetrates the whole city.

The richness of the wall-hangings, furniture and pictures, ransacked and taxed from the old nobility, have been placed and hung without taste.

The Overlord lies there at your mercy. Will you avenge the terrible suffering of your fellow Judain, or carry off the concubine so that you can question her and find out what is happening o the city and its Overlord?

In either case you must first get to the bed: turn to 40.
If you would rather accept discretion as the better part of valor and make a run for it, turn to 161.

: That's...not beauty sleep by any measure I'd admit to.

: Ew. EW!!

Character Sheet posted:

Jay 'The Hammer' Sherman the Nazirite

Skills: CHARMS, CUNNING, SWORDPLAY and WILDERNESS LORE

Life Points: 7/12

Gleenars: 9

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt, sack full of slime and vomit-soaked sawdust, sucking chest wound

Codewords: Satori, Codex

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yes, we want to adventure. 40

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That concubine has been infected by hate (or worse) I wouldn't be taking her with us.

And I bet the Overlord is now a red herring and is completely under Hate's thrall, but either way let's knife that fool by approaching the bed.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Bed! Why would anyone in their right minds not choose this? We can get a concubine! And she even comes with pre-installed Mega-Herpes!

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Bed. Do that trick where you wake him up by putting his hand into a bowl of water.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Leg it.

The Concubine clearly has been infected by Hate (we've noticed that the bodies blocking the Sea Wall were not showing any of the purple swelling); and I guess if Hate is our real enemy, shanking Mussolini the Overlord won't do us any good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

And I bet the Overlord is now a red herring and is completely under Hate's thrall, but either way let's knife that fool by approaching the bed.

That would be giving in to hate, and the demon has fed enough already. Leave.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Book posted:

It is a dark night and you fight to control a blackness of heart which impels you to take revenge on the cruel tyrannical Overlord.

Book, next page posted:

Kill Overlord / Steal girl Y/N?

Let's leave. Not only have we had it spelled out in direct terms that we are no longer after the Overlord, kidnapping the Hate-affected concubine is almost certain to end terribly, on account of the... Hate infection, and... uh...

What does this thing do again? I thought there was a monster roaming the streets, killing people directly. How does it infect people? And what makes our character think we can get any info out of her before she explodes/ stabs us/ also infects us? I wouldn't be completely surprised if we're in a dead man walking state from not having FOLKLORE at the start of this update.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Yeah, I'm going to have to vote for let's leave. The Overlord probably has HatesIV by now anyway. This isn't about him anymore.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Good points made. I'm changing my vote to leaving.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 161 posted:

You slink back into the catacombs, dousing your lantern so you will not be discovered. You are soon under the stables. It is cold and damp down here, but there is a strong breeze, almost a gale. The air should be still here under the city, like the nighted airs of the pyramids of the ancients. Hate has undermined it so much that part of the catacombs have come to light, you guess. That means the monsters that have lurked here since the city was built will be wandering out onto the streets to add to the woes of the poor cityfolk. Since the storm drains prove to be blocked, you enter the burial crypts of the Megiddo dynasty.

Turn to 365.

: Later dude. Enjoy your poxy doxie!

Page 365 posted:

The tunnels take you deeper and deeper into the bones of ancient Godorno. At last you stumble through a rotten tapestry into a chamber filled with gold-plated furniture and funeral biers with sarcophagi atop them. Four glassy green statues stand at the corners of the room.

The four Jade Warriors clank menacingly as they come to life before you. The green swords in their hands cut the beams of light, giving each blade an aura like a rainbow. The light shimmers off the jagged blades and off the chiseled planes of the huge warriors themselves. When they step towards you, their heavy tread grinds the rubble beneath their armored feet to powder. The whole room reverberates to their measured advance.

If you have SWORDPLAY and a sword and want to do battle, turn to 389.
If you have UNARMED COMBAT and decide to fight them that way, turn to 296.
If you have SPELLS and a wand you might use one of the following: Encloud (turn to 42), Rulership (turn to 66), Bafflement (turn to 96) or Vanish (turn to 102).
If you fall back on AGILITY turn to 277.
If you have a censer of fragrant incense, turn to 204.
Otherwise, the nearest Jade Warrior slashes you, inflicting the loss of 6 Life Points. If you are still alive, you realize you must flee: turn to 16.

Page 389 posted:

You dart in to attack the first of the Jade Warriors. You fight well; your sword is an arcing blaze of light, but though it ring loudly against the jade bodies of your adversaries they are not dinted. Their heavy blows break down your guard and their blades are terribly sharp, as you find to your cost when one bites into your shoulder. Lose 2 Life Points.

If you still life you could attempt UNARMED COMBAT with the champions of the Megiddo dynasty (turn to 296), or flee (turn to 16.

If it makes you feel any better, almost any other choice results in a greater loss of Life Points or just plain Life.

Page 16 posted:

You turn tail from the Jade Warriors, but on your way out you fall foul of a trap that stabs your thigh with a broken-off spear shaft. Lose 1 Life Point. If you still live, you pull the shaft out. The blood wells forth ominously; you are lucky it didn't sever an artery. You hobble back to your bolt-hole on Bumble Row and lie down to recuperate.

Turn to 20.

: What, no bump in the LP? Last time catastrophic failure gained me back 2 points!

: Don't rely overly on reason and consistency to guide you.

Page 20 posted:

You resolve to enter the prison fortress of Grond. Once there, you can free the captured Judain and other political prisoners detained to await the mercy of the Overlord's torturers. But you cannot succeed at such an ambitious mission alone, and you are unwilling to put your fellow Judain at further risk. They are brave enough, but to get inside the prison you will need the help of an expert rogue.

If you pay a visit to your mulatto friend, Mameluke, who has been useful to you in the past, turn to 303.
If you call on the little gamine Lucie, turn to 293.

Vocabulary expanded? Check.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 5/12

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt, sack full of slime and vomit-soaked sawdust, sucking chest wound, a broken-off spear shaft

Kills: Embracer, a guard, an Infernal Machine and the tiny man inside it, a pointy-toothed native, Ejada, the Moon Dog, Skarvench, our credibility as a tactician

Failures: Root'd to death, despair!'d, swallowed and digested by a Colossus beetle, ate a pig and failed to avert an ecological cataclysm, slave'd and toil'd to death, pulmonary arrownation, stabbed in the eyes and left to "live" off the land, lightly dragon'd, tree'd from a great height x2, Countless Swords of the Westermen'd, gale'd, yardam'd, rack'd

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 22, 2015

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
We're charming. Let's call on Lucie.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011

Page 403 posted:

Lucie looks annoyed for a moment, then turns a bright smile on you. 'You're quite the hero of your people, and I like heroes. You can call on me if you need me and I'll give you a reward for your heroism.'

Let's collect our reward from Lucie.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mamaluke, or last encounter with Lucie didn't get us very far.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We have 1HP too much.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Lucie, since Mameluke is swarthy. Wait a second who is this guy supposed to be in the first place? I don't remember him.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
She did promise us something right? Do we know how to whistle?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

The book feels really unfocused, the protagonist kind of just switches up plans on a whim and never sees things all the way through.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I don't know if this story is less confusing if you choose the "right" path, but it just bounces all over the place

The overlord is evil and he wants to imprison, exile or kill all the Judain. Pick one, evil guy.
You escape the city but sneak back in and meet with the few remaining Judain in the city and because you are the biggest, strongest, smartest one (still alive) you are now leader
Looking for outside help, you meet with Lucie after jumping through several hoops and you also get a chance to meet with the leader of the thieves guild
But forget about those two, you and what's left of the Judain resistance cause a ruckus and make a last stand
Well, they make the stand, many of them dying off so you can live
But that's OK, despite your incompetence, you're still leader
Probably because you're the only one left
Oh, and the overlord isn't really evil. Maybe.
The real evil is Hate. With a capital H. Because gently caress subtlety.
And Hate is making everyone slightly more evil and purple and dead than usual. For reasons. Evil reasons, presumably.
So Hate is our target now.
So you manage to sneak in and around The Overlord's palace, because maybe assassination is the answer
Except we know that poo poo's a trap, so we make our escape
But no, we can't just get out the way we came in. What are you, Simple?
After yet another daring escape, you decide that breaking into a prison is a good idea
Which, I guess is good enough, because we need more cannon fodder between us and the pointy objects of our enemies
So now we get to choose between someone we've never encountered or heard of before, and Lucie, our old friend from several decisions ago.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm actually really enjoying this LP and you're doing a great job. But this story is just all over the map. This is like an LP of a bad movie. The other stories seemed much more coherent.

Though I will also say we have not had an instant death just yet, and that's in spite of our very first action causing us to get stabbed by a random street urchin.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Your description prompted me to re-read "Aw gently caress, Dinosaurs" and I've sadly discovered that I can't find it anymore :(

EDIT: found it through a weird mirror site http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299420&pagenumber=1

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 21, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Yeah the pacing of this thing does feel a bit nonsensical. Are we just bad?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I have yet to make it through this entire series, but there does seem to be a sharp divide between the works of Jamie Thomson (Green Blood and this book) and those of David Morris. Thomson's previous work was also a tad...disjointed.

Page 293 posted:

You find Lucie loitering around the moored gondolas on Circle Canal. In better days she might have had rich pickings from dipping her hand into the purses of the wealthy. In these troubled times, few people dare venture into the streets with money in their pockets.

You explain that you want to get into Grond and free the prisoners there.

'Help free those vermin?' she says. 'Why would I want to? Many are murderers, rapists, and madmen!'

'Many are brave men whose only crime was to speak out against the Overlord. Others are even more blameless. My fellow Judain, for instance, declared criminal simply because of race and creed.'

Lucie seems not even to have heard you. 'Those beasts in Grond - they are animals! Let Hate take them!' She looks at you as though you have lost your wits, her pretty face contorted with hatred. The glint in her eyes is frightening. She looks mad.

Will you slap her to end this hysterical outburst (turn to 336), or merely tell her to be calm (turn to 346)?

: HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 4/12

Possessions: Amulet, sword, evidently a dagger (?), one slightly used crossbow bolt, sack full of slime and vomit-soaked sawdust, sucking chest wound, a broken-off spear shaft

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Smacking! Concussive psychiatry always seems to work in movies! It in no way causes whoever is hysterical to become more hysterical and in pain!

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Don't touch the flesh, she's caught the hatemeasles. Tell sister to simmer down.

I like the way it describes the fact that 'she looks mad' and then immediately puts a picture of Hate underneath.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, I'm thinking based on the themes so far the book wants us to use our words.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Don't spank Donald Trump.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

We're immune to hate slime infection, we must cast Lay on hands to treat her! Of course I fully expect to spend the next three choices being distracted by poo poo until we can smack her.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I don't think we stop hate by going around slapping chicks. Be cool.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This is turning into that scene from AIRPLANE. Get a hold of yourself women!

Merely tell her to be calm.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 346 posted:

Lucie smirks coquettishly as you tell her off and says, 'Well, it's true. Hate take them all and good riddance to bad rubbish.'

You sigh, knowing you will never change her. You suspect that at least one of the criminal inmates of Grond must have done something dreadful to her before his imprisonment.

'Surely there must be something you can do?' you ask. 'Don't you know any of the guards?'

'I suppose I do, one or two. There's Captain Khmer in the east tower. He oversees the towngate and the eastern courtyard. I could smuggle you in there.'

Will you go along with Lucie's plan to smuggle you into the prison fortress of Grond (turn to 354)?
Or will you thank Lucie but decline her brave offer of help (turn to 366)?
If you have CHARMS you can consult your amulet, turn to 388.

Character Sheet posted:

Life Points: 4/12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Use special skill Y/N?

• Locked thread