Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stitch be back in to work the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 8.93%
No 19 33.93%
If he does I hope he brings my dad back from buying cigarettes 32 57.14%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I took it all for granted
But how was I to know
That you'd be letting go
Now it cuts like a knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZhSkREYBc

Welcome to the UFC on FOX 16 GDT! The main card is 8 p.m. ET July 25 on, as the name implies, FOX.
Well gang, this is a brave new era. An era where everyone wears identical pants, and the best cutman in the business isn't there to patch things up and make the agony of defeat a little less painful.

Stitch was so goddamn good, the Klitschko brothers schedule fights based on his availability. And he's gone, all because of the worst jerseys of all time.
But maybe it's not so bad. Hell, just a few months ago in The Year Of Our Lord 2015, we watched Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock in the main event of a fairly major promotion. I think this means we've returned to the JUST BLEED ERA!

Here's hoping none of these gushy ladies and gentlemen find themselves on the wrong end of a doctor's stoppage, because their odds of doing so have improved.

FOR THE UFC BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

TJ Dillashaw (c)

vs.

Renan “Outrageously Hi-Res” Barao

Last time these guys fought, TUF 14 runner-up TJ Dillashaw surprised the world by coming out of nowhere and kicking the everloving poo poo out of Renan Barao before the champ finally went down in the fifth, relinquishing his crown. TJ benefited in a huge way from the tutelage of Dwayne “Bang” Ludwig as he really pulled it all together and became one of the division's most formidable strikers in short order after Ludwig came to Team Alpha Male. That said, despite being a relative unknown before his seemingly overnight success, Dillashaw was never a guy to sleep on. His only losses in his MMA career are to John Dodson and Raphael Assuncao (the latter of which was a split decision that earned Fight of the Night.) Although his bout against very-short-notice-replacement Joe Soto was less dominant, he still secured a round 5 KO in almost the exact same way. Look for cutting sharp angles, insanely quick movement and setting up a big head kick after wearing down his opponent.

The last time these two were scheduled to fight, Renan Barao shocked the world by dropping a TKO to a bathtub. I'd say look for Barao to show some real urgency to finish the fight and regain the belt but his last outing against Mitch Gagnon was an outrageously tepid affair until he pulled out an arm-triangle choke, and the bulk of the fight leadup for this weekend's bout was Barao claiming the man who beat him so badly he probably forgot significant portions of his childhood has “Barbie hands,” so he is probably gonna lose real bad. Just as well, tbqh.

Women's Bantamweight

Miesha Tate

vs.

Jessica Eye

Miesha Tate is good at nothing but competent at most things, which makes her a force to be reckoned with in the shallow waters of W135. She's dating Bryan Caraway, who is a fucknuckle. She was nicknamed “Takedown” before switching to “Cupcake” because the latter does not imply she knows how to perform a takedown. As a psychological self-preservation mechanism, is impossible for the human brain to remember her “fight” with Rin Nakai. Despite all of this, she is the only woman to last longer than 5 minutes against champ Ronda Rousey. This fight is a No. 1 contender bout to determine who gets the next crack at the winner of Bethe Correia vs. Rousey.

Jessica Eye, who is 1-1, 1 NC in the UFC, stands to earn a title shot. That's the shape in which Ronda has left her division. Despite her struggles in the big show however, Eye does have a formidable 10-1 record outside of the UFC, only losing to an (admittedly undersized) Aisling Daly. She is also the person on this bloodbath of a card to be more notable for drawing blood from someone else — she drat near punched Leslie Smith's ear right off her head. :nms: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/17/1416219628947_wps_32_UFC_fighter_Leslie_Smith_.jpg :nms:

Lightweight

Edson Barboza

vs.

Paul Felder
OP's note: neither of these people are Anthony Pettis or Myles Jury. (In the case of the latter, that's a good thing.)

Barboza has Jose Aldo's legs and Brendan Schaub's chin and idea of grappling defense. This leads to objectively great or funny performances every time (unless you're Bobby Green.) He has three leg-kick TKOs on his record. He was also put away by Stupid Unimportant Person Jamie Varner. If this doesn't get Fight of the Night it's almost a lock for a Performance award one way or the other.

Paul Felder is an undefeated fighter who's relatively new to the UFC. He'd probably be called a prospect, but he's 31. His UFC debut wasn't particularly noteworthy, earning a split decision over Jason Saggo. After that he decided to be the last good thing on UFC 182 and knock Danny Castillo into the previous month, earning himself a $50,000 bonus.

Lightweight

Joe Lauzon

vs.

Takanori Gomi

Lauzon for Performance of the Night.

Gomi for most Japanese rice lagers consumed shortly before and immediately after the fight.

OTHER PEOPLE TO WATCH JUST BLEED

FOX Prelims, 6 p.m.
Light Heavyweight Gian Villante vs. Tom Lawlor
Lightweight Jim Miller vs. Danny Castillo
Welterweight Kenny Robertson vs. Ben Saunders
Bantamweight Eddie Wineland vs. Bryan Caraway

Early Fight Pass Prelims (Which You Should Cancel and Not See In Solidarity With Reddit Dot Com), 4:15 p.m.
Lightweight Daron Cruickshank vs. James Krause
Lightweight Ramsey Nijem vs. Andrew Holbrook
Women's Bantamweight Jessamyn Duke (who is somehow still in the UFC) vs. Elizabeth Phillips
Welterweight Zak Cummings vs. Dominique Steele

Official Weigh-Ins, 5 p.m. ET July 24
http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-chicago-official-weigh-in-2015

OFFICIAL MMA SNACK RATING: Black pudding

INGREDIENTS
4 cups fresh pig's blood
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal
2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice

PREPARATION
1 Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease 2 glass loaf pans. (If you don't have glass loaf pans, line metal loaf pans with parchment to keep the blood sausage from reacting with the metal and creating an off-flavor.) Stir 1 teaspoon of salt into the blood.
2 Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil and stir in the oats. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until just tender, not mushy.
3 Pour the blood through a fine sieve into a large bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in the fat, onion, milk, pepper, allspice and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add the oatmeal and mix to combine. Divide the mixture between the loaf pans, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour, until firm. Cool completely. Seal in plastic wrap and wither freeze for extended use or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4 To serve, cut a slice about 1/2-inch thick off the loaf. Fry in butter or oil until the edges are slightly crisped and browned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This card is pretty drat good

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

This card is pretty drat good

Yeah I'm pretty bummed I couldn't make it to this one live :saddowns:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I really hope Danny Castillo loses. And I guess it would be nice if the other guy won.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Jim Miller is another guy who has been getting worn down a lot in recent fights. A few years ago he would have no problem with Danny Castillo but these days he might lose.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Black Pudding is the most revolting thing I've ever tasted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Jim Miller is another guy who has been getting worn down a lot in recent fights. A few years ago he would have no problem with Danny Castillo but these days he might lose.

I know, and Danny Castillo is the kind of guy who you just dislike instinctively.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

She was nicknamed “Takedown” before switching to “Cupcake” because the latter does not imply she knows how to perform a takedown.
I love when the op is both entertaining and educational

quote:

INGREDIENTS
4 cups fresh pig's blood
:what:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 24, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Black Pudding is made out of blood, Kekela. That recipe is legit.

Here's hoping Miesha Tate loses and then Bryan Caraway somehow feels all of the pain she does during at the same time.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 24, 2015

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Just re-watched Dillashaw vs Barao. Such a good fight. Dillashaw is a god drat wizard and I don't see Barao doing any better than last time. And it warms my heart to see all the tiny Alpha Males celebrating. Keen for this here card!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Aurain posted:

Black Pudding is made out of blood, Kekela. That recipe is legit.
I'm just imagining trying to buy it somewhere.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any old butcher will sell it, no doubt, but they'll just sell you Black Pudding anyway, in all likelihood. Not even my dog likes that stuff though.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i'm actually gonna miss the gomi fight (and hte other less important fights) so i will be praying very hard from a distance

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kekekela posted:

I love when the op is both entertaining and educational

:what:

None of y'all eaten blood sausage before?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Black pudding is one of the most delicious things known to man. I'd eat it every day if I had the chance.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Eww I couldn't possibly eat the blood of an animal. Muscle, fat and skin? Yummy.
Bunch of slack-jawed hypocrites in here!

Anyway, to fully enjoy black pudding, you must serve it correctly:

Take a freshly baked bread roll, preferably white and soft with a brown crusty exterior such as a Scotch Morning Roll.
Spread generously with butter, then lay a couple of thick, fried black pudding slices on it.
Finish with a large dollop of tangy brown sauce. HP sauce in the UK, some sort of weird steak sauce in America. Tastes best if you have a raging hangover.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hRG3k9PWo&t=510s

Blood sausage deliciousness.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The entire first fight is up on YT by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6vzRDv5PdI

That punch TJ lands at 1:03 of the first is just :stare:. When they show the replay it actually looks like Barao was out for a sec.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I hope Jessica Evil Eye wins. She won me over when she Evil Eared Leslie Smith

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

God bless FOX cards. They're the most consistently good cards the UFC runs.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Cuckoo posted:

I hope Jessica Evil Eye wins. She won me over when she Evil Eared Leslie Smith

Also really want Eye to win because I'm tired of Tate and don't want Tate/Rousey 3 to happen.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm on the Eye train for tomorrow but female strikers typically are not good unless you are Cyborg or Joanna so she will probably lose.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

Also really want Eye to win because I'm tired of Tate and don't want Tate/Rousey 3 to happen.
The second fight had lots of cool throws at least.

Though Tate might avoid tying up with Ronda more in a third fight since pretty much every time she tried it in this one she got mercilessly countered (though she did land one takedown which is better than most can say).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

colonel_korn posted:

The second fight had lots of cool throws at least.

Though Tate might avoid tying up with Ronda more in a third fight since pretty much every time she tried it in this one she got mercilessly countered (though she did land one takedown which is better than most can say).

I love how she lets her right leg shoot up so her entire weight is just coming down on Tate's chest. Thats some good technique.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I watch FightPass probably 2 hours a week at least and for some reason I've never re-watched Ronda/Tate II. I'm going to have to get to that this weekend considering it was probably Ronda's most exciting fight (that or the Carmouche fight).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Jessica Eye vs. Leslie Smith ear punch is one of my favourite gross injuries of all time so I''m just gonna make a post celebrating it here.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
wow that had to be a stoppage yeah?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jst0rm posted:

wow that had to be a stoppage yeah?

It was, but Leslie Smith was still trying to protest with her ear hanging half off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It was, but Leslie Smith was still trying to protest with her ear hanging half off.

That was awesome. She busted out some Spanish and got a chant going from the Mexican fans.

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

I hope Jessica blows up both of Miesha's ears as punishment for her performance in the Rin Nakai fight.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Le Saboteur posted:

qtiyd

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

the weigh-ins are currently reminding me that the greatest tragedy of the reebok deal is tom lawlor can't do any cosplay

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Are there any particular prelim fights I should be looking for? I'm going to be doing some work, but I can tune in for a few.

edit: i type good

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 24, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

E4C85D38 posted:

Are there any particular prelim fights I should be looking for? I'm going to be doing some work, but I can tune in for a few.

Actually all the FOX prelims look pretty good.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

E4C85D38 posted:

Wineland Caraway stands out, as does Miller Castillo. But I agree with fatherdog, you can't go wrong on the televised portion.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
Oh my god, this CM Punk interview, hahaha.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
For those who weren't watching, everyone made weight. Barao had to take off his shorts, but made it on his 2nd try with the towel

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Northjayhawk posted:

For those who weren't watching, everyone made weight. Barao had to take off his shorts, but made it on his 2nd try with the towel

And Tom Lawlor took off about ten Reebok items.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

reeg posted:

the weigh-ins are currently reminding me that the greatest tragedy of the reebok deal is tom lawlor can't do any cosplay

Man, I had no idea he was still around. Looks like he's been out for two years. Hope he can still be decent, he ain't that old. At least Villante is bad. Or maybe he isn't, his record's been pretty good lately. Villante will forever be "that dude who got smoked by Chad Griggs" in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
Some nerd tried to get a cheer for Fedor and was met with stony silence.

• Locked thread