Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stitch be back in to work the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 8.93%
No 19 33.93%
If he does I hope he brings my dad back from buying cigarettes 32 57.14%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Holy poo poo I should have bet waaaay more money on Zak Cummings. I remember fatherdog saying he's a pretty decent fighter a while ago and didn't show it on TUF (I believe, could be wrong), but jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Welcome to the UFC

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

"It's so great seeing the kind of talent we have in women's MMA right now", as the camera cuts to Jessamyn Duke.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Next up two fighters on losing streaks in a lovely division, Rogan is ecstatic.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The only thing kind of interesting about this fight is if Jessamyn loses this fight apparently the WWE has shown interest in picking her up.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Turned it on just in time to see Cummings whoop up on a dude. Now the real shitshow begins.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:frogsiren: that cutman is advertising for "Boston Strong," which I assume is a gym of some kind :frogsiren:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I still have no loving clue what Catch Wrestling is and how is it different than regular wrestling for MMA?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

:frogsiren: that cutman is advertising for "Boston Strong," which I assume is a gym of some kind :frogsiren:

Have you never heard the phrase "Boston Strong"?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Holy poo poo I should have bet waaaay more money on Zak Cummings. I remember fatherdog saying he's a pretty decent fighter a while ago and didn't show it on TUF (I believe, could be wrong), but jesus.

Cummings was one of those guys who was pretty good on the B-league circuit and benefited enormously from TUF allowing him to train full-time and hook up with better coaches; you could see him visibly improving and his post-finale UFC matches really bore that out. His only loss after that was to Gunnar Nelson and even then he really took it to him in the first round.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Josh Barnett smacking women around on live TV.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

Have you never heard the phrase "Boston Strong"?

I don't think he's from the US

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

squarerandom posted:

I still have no loving clue what Catch Wrestling is and how is it different than regular wrestling for MMA?

Catch wrestling is a type of wrestling that is popular in Japan that is basically pro wrestling but not makebelieve. It has throws and submissions and poo poo. Actual wrestling is probably a lot better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I don't think he's from the US

also :thejoke: kinda. Reebok police gonna get all over that, either way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

squarerandom posted:

fatherdog posted:

Back in the early 1900's, up through the 40's and 50's, although professional wrestling was thoroughly predetermined, it was still expected for the top guys to be able to actually wrestle/grapple, because otherwise you were at risk of someone who could "shooting" on you and beating you in a match you were supposed to win. Because of that, "catch wrestling" as an actual grappling style existed, and has survived in places. While the idea of top guys being "real shooters" basically died in the 70's and 80's in the US, in Japan it survived in certain promotions, and consequently there was a lot of live grappling training that went on behind closed doors. Saku was a prowrestler long before PRIDE began, and he turned out to be very, very talented at the real grappling side of things.

With the major evolution of grappling that's taken place in the last two or three decades the actual differences between "catch wrestling" and no gi BJJ/shootwrestling/any other no-gi style are minimal, but some people get really persnickety about it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Catch wrestling is a type of wrestling that is popular in Japan that is basically pro wrestling but not makebelieve. It has throws and submissions and poo poo. Actual wrestling is probably a lot better.

Catch wrestling is the version if wrestling developed by Karl Gotch if I recall. And yeah it's the basis for tons of pro wrestling moves.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Anyone got a gif of the firstk nockout?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

squarerandom posted:

It's closer to BJJ really since it's focused on submissions, it just originated in the west rather than BJJ which originated from Japanese martial arts. I would say the main differences between catch and BJJ is that BJJ is more focused on positional orthodoxy whereas catch wrestling is more focused on submissions, including more leg locks and stuff from weird positions.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Jessamyn needs to throw those kicks they're open for her a ton with Philips.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
"she's scared" lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hip escape into full mount.

If Duke gets cut, who will become the proverbial Worst Fighter?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 25, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
von flue please god

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

colonel_korn posted:

It's closer to BJJ really since it's focused on submissions, it just originated in the west rather than BJJ which originated from Japanese martial arts. I would say the main differences between catch and BJJ is that BJJ is more focused on positional orthodoxy whereas catch wrestling is more focused on submissions, including more leg locks and stuff from weird positions.

Most of the time catch wrestling is just BJJ with Frank Shamrock refusing to use the jiu-jitsu names for things.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I just realized this is even funnier since Phillips is being corned by Pena, who smoked Shayna Baszler on TUF and made Ronda go full psycho. Four horsewomen :patriot:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

These are ufc undisputed submission animations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Josh Barnett owns

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

For a person who has long rear end legs and has tons of muay thai training she throws like zero kicks.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
both these women train in a division to compete with ronda rousey

that is all

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I appreciate the heart Jessamyn is showing even though she is clumsy as hell.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Duke seems to have no jab, I just don't get it given her build and how long she's been fighting.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Barnett is awesome.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Does Rogan have money on Duke or something, good lord he won't shut the gently caress up about her.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Kekekela posted:

Duke seems to have no jab, I just don't get it given her build and how long she's been fighting.

2! 2! 2! now grapple terribly!

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
That was a good bad fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Meowbot posted:

Anyone got a gif of the firstk nockout?

not a gif, but here's this

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/07/watch-zak-cummings-start-ufc-on-fox-16-with-a-flurry-of-punches/

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That fight was clumsy as hell but I liked it.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

GREAT JOB BY JESSAMYN even if she lost GREAT EFFORT!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was a fun last round. I found myself cheering for Duke to finish, despite myself.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that kind of sucks for Duke. She'd have a great shot of finishing the bout if it were a 5 rounder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
29-28 phillips
pride scoring: duke

• Locked thread