Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stitch be back in to work the UFC?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 8.93%
No 19 33.93%
If he does I hope he brings my dad back from buying cigarettes 32 57.14%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

E4C85D38 posted:

Are there any particular prelim fights I should be looking for? I'm going to be doing some work, but I can tune in for a few.

edit: i type good

Actually all the FOX prelims look pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ty1990 posted:

Does anybody have the cliffnotes on why exactly there was beef there?

Ludwig came in and immediately just about everyone in TAM started to look dramatically better at striking, except for Faber, who it then came out wasn't working with Ludwig at all and didn't like him due to "personality clashes". Then Ludwig opened his gym in Colorado and started splitting his time between there and TAM, and some of them continued working closely with him (most notably Dillashaw and Castillo) and some of them didn't, and then Faber brought in Kampmann and Ludwig pretty much stayed in Colorado and the TAMs that continue working with him went there for part of their fight camps. I would imagine there's some bitterness on Ludwig's part on essentially being pushed out despite being objectively good for the team, and whatever had Faber disliking him to begin with certainly isn't helped by Ludwig not being real shy about saying so.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Thats what really rubbed me wrong with Duane I've never seen any of the TAM guys put Duane on blast publicly and then he goes out and takes a poo poo on Mendes.

Faber started talking poo poo about Ludwig long before Bang said anything about anything.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Holy poo poo I should have bet waaaay more money on Zak Cummings. I remember fatherdog saying he's a pretty decent fighter a while ago and didn't show it on TUF (I believe, could be wrong), but jesus.

Cummings was one of those guys who was pretty good on the B-league circuit and benefited enormously from TUF allowing him to train full-time and hook up with better coaches; you could see him visibly improving and his post-finale UFC matches really bore that out. His only loss after that was to Gunnar Nelson and even then he really took it to him in the first round.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

squarerandom posted:

I still have no loving clue what Catch Wrestling is and how is it different than regular wrestling for MMA?

fatherdog posted:

Back in the early 1900's, up through the 40's and 50's, although professional wrestling was thoroughly predetermined, it was still expected for the top guys to be able to actually wrestle/grapple, because otherwise you were at risk of someone who could "shooting" on you and beating you in a match you were supposed to win. Because of that, "catch wrestling" as an actual grappling style existed, and has survived in places. While the idea of top guys being "real shooters" basically died in the 70's and 80's in the US, in Japan it survived in certain promotions, and consequently there was a lot of live grappling training that went on behind closed doors. Saku was a prowrestler long before PRIDE began, and he turned out to be very, very talented at the real grappling side of things.

With the major evolution of grappling that's taken place in the last two or three decades the actual differences between "catch wrestling" and no gi BJJ/shootwrestling/any other no-gi style are minimal, but some people get really persnickety about it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That's gotta be a really depressing way to lose, being seconds away from finishing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fun fight, Nijem should win. Cool scrambles.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
hahaha what the gently caress

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chexoid posted:

Man Jim Miller's still around??

This is going to be his 20th fight in the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I would expect Caraway to lose any striking exchange handily in this fight, and be able to take Wineland down but unable to hold him down. If he wins it'll be because he makes Wineland spend so much time getting up and pressed to the fence that the striking is minimal and he grinds out a decision.

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Kinda sad seeing wineland so confused by caraway here, he cant find his range and accuracy at all. What happened to his offensive output

When your entire standup game relies on distancing and reactions, ring rust has a disproportionate effect, would be my take

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Saunders is one of those guys with a fun, flashy offense but a lovely defense, so against guys who aren't good enough to take advantage of him he's mad fun to watch but he can wind up looking like garbage very easily

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Saunders is one of those guys with a fun, flashy offense but a lovely defense, so against guys who aren't good enough to take advantage of him he's mad fun to watch but he can wind up looking like garbage very easily

LMAO gets dropped with a big dumb punch twenty seconds after I posted this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
You know, this actually is one of the best examples of actually winning from the bottom in MMA I can think of, because Robertson is literally unable to do /anything/ here.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dirp posted:

Is this the first time anyone has actually used rubber guard and did something meaningful?

He was using rubber guard when he omoplata-ed somebody a fight or two back, I think. Vinny Magaelhes has used it a fair amount but I don't recall if he got anything interesting with it in the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Saunders probably should win this 29-28 because he won every second of the first round up until he got dropped and he recovered immediately, but at least one judge is probably going to disagree

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Hexum posted:

I can't recall anyone doing more damage from the bottom than that. Anyone know of another fight?

The second round (I think) of Diego/Guida involved what seemed like several thousand spike elbows to Guida's mop

Also,

arielhelwani posted:

Immediately after that scorecard was read, @MannyGamburyan texted me to say he wants Caraway next. The time is now.

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Seeing Miller go back to aggressively wrestling instead of loving around on the feet gives me a lot more confidence in him winning this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rogan actually had an interesting point there about how everybody Bang trains seems to pick up these really interesting angles and stuff and Bang did absolutely none of that when he was fighting

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

Jim Miller is looking really good in this fight. I thought Castillo looked a little lost in the second, like he was just hunting for the one headkick or overhand that would change the course of the fight, while Jim is picking him apart.

It looked to me like early in the second Miller figured out that Castillo wasn't defending leg kicks, and since then he's been hammering on it and it's really disrupted Castillo's ability to move

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I had Miller winning the first two, but they were both close and that takedown probably lost him the third and may have lost him the fight, depending on how blind the judges are for this one

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

wheres lawlor been

In his last fight he tore every ligament in his knee and kept fighting to sub his opponent, so he had to take a shitload of time to rehab

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Pretty solid fight, i gave miller the 2nd but couldve gone either way imo. Miller took a little bit to find his range and the gaps in castillos footwork but he was a little too tired to capitalize. Amd every time he took a rest for a split second he was getting kicked

Yeah that's kinda how I saw it, he was beating up Castillo's leg all through the second but having to keep chasing and turning to nullify Castillo's angles really tired him out

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I like Lawlor and hope he wins, but 2 years of ring rust, going up a weight class and coming in two pounds light doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
gently caress, that was a beautiful shot

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wow, I just realized I'm interested in every fight on the main card. What a good free show.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The Fireball Manchild

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jesus, I forgot how terrifying the Barboza/Etim KO was

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jota posted:

That was the most brutal dick kick I have ever seen.

You need to watch Santos/Prindle because that fractured a dude's pelvis

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

theres no way he can feel below his waist

squarerandom posted:

The perfect defense against leg kicks. Strategic genius.

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lmao at them spinning past each other

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Is Miesha's nose bleeding already

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hahahaha, that incredibly slow kick from Miesha followed immediately by Eye hitting her with a five punch combo

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ignore illegal kick, then stand them up from back mount. What the gently caress are you doing tonight, Lavigne

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kiger_Soze posted:

Is correia the transgender fighter Rogan talked about on his podcast?

No, that's Fallon Fox. She's 39 and it's very unlikely you'll ever see her in the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I just got home in time for this main, have I missed much else other than Tom Lawlor winning

Barboza/Felder ruled, Ben Saunders beat a man up from the bottom of guard, Jim Miller and Danny Castillo had a pretty good fight, and Zak Cummings killed a guy

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That sequence where Barao threw a one-two, missed, and got hit with a one-two three times in a row was good + funny

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Barao's completely stopped jabbing so he's basically hosed; using the jab to set up his kicks was probably the only way he was going to have any serious success on the feet given TJ's footwork

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

It's sort of weird but it looks like Barao made basically no adjustments to his game since the first fight, like he was just going to do the same exact thing as in the first fight that he badly lost

Just Got Caught Syndrome claims another fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Barao looked out on his feet after those knees

• Locked thread