Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

There's going to be a speedrun of Space Station Silicon Valley this year, highlighting the main reason SGDQ is my favorite of the two. Weird, obscure N64 games are my lifeblood.

Zelda and Metroid speed runs I've seen a hundred times over at this point. Give me the interesting games!.

They don't specify which "Star Wars (NES)" is being run. I hope it's the Namco version because it's a more technically complicated game and I want to see everyone's reactions to the story.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please let me know what the hot memes I can spam in twitch chat are. I missed the latest meme cycle and it would help if you guys could give me a refresher so I can impress the ladies.

Good news! With the meme being older than most of the people in Twitch chat, "All your base are belong to us" has come around to being cool again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Gonna watch this so hard.

So what is the point of starting SGDQ with a 3 hour game? It kinda feels like it defeats the "done fast" part of the name. I get that it IS faster than the regular game but it is still 3 dang hours long. I feel like I tune completely out immediately when I see that kind of thing, and I know I'm not the only one, especially when followed by enormous blocks of the same character. I would be curious to see if the tournament would be better off if there weren't giant blocks of games but games scattered all over.

I'm not a fan of longer runs myself, but Trihex doing Yoshi's Island is always a popular run for GDQ and I guess they wanted to kick things off with something like that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As we come down to these final minutes, I want to remind everyone that adding /popout to any Twitch URL ditches their terrible interface and just gives you the video. Very useful for watching on devices like phones and the Wii U as well. So http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/popout will get you the stream.

And we're live!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

You can also just hit the theater mode button.

Assuming the page loads completely which is a bit of a problem on Twitch sometimes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

is this GDQ's pitch presentation to ESPN for a SpeedCenter show

They're starting out kind of rough, but it's worlds better than dead air and an empty couch for ten minutes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Did I hear right? Theyre going to play kirby tilt'n'tumble by holding the gamecube and moving it around? :eyepop:

It's genuinely the run I'm looking forward to most this time. They don't seem to have the same quantity of crazy stuff that I like (or at least it's really spread out this time), but that one is going to be magic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought Twitch said no more shirtless runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's nice to see that the speed running marathon is still sponsored by Something Autistic.net.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dias posted:

poo poo, I forgot to add "tons of Something AUTISIC.net LOL JOKES" to my list of things to expect from SGDQ.

You'd think graphic designers might have noticed the problem with their logo and changed it by now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I went to a pair of charity events and missed hours of the stream. Was the Sonic Boom run hilarious as it was in my dreams?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Let's just think of it this way: from now on every single run has to be better.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how many donations they lost from people tuning out over that guy.

Probably not a significant number, but there's I suspect a few people who checked out this "games done quick" thing only to get hit in the face with that and turned it off fast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yay! Finally a new run to talk about instead of be horrified by!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theultimo posted:

Crash was literally magic.

Dark magic.

quote:

Andy had given Kelly a rough idea of how we were getting so much detail through the system: spooling. Kelly asked Andy if he understood correctly that any move forward or backward in a level entailed loading in new data, a CD “hit.” Andy proudly stated that indeed it did. Kelly asked how many of these CD hits Andy thought a gamer that finished Crash would have. Andy did some thinking and off the top of his head said “Roughly 120,000.” Kelly became very silent for a moment and then quietly mumbled “the PlayStation CD drive is ‘rated’ for 70,000.”

Kelly thought some more and said “let’s not mention that to anyone” and went back to get Sony on board with Crash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Meridian posted:

Was that the dude on the couch who got shut down?

I think he was the one who did the really awful Kirby run while obviously stoned.

But it's hard to keep track of bad runner behavior across these events.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theultimo posted:

Just pick up X collection from ps2/gc, it has all 6.

But there are eight Mega Man X games.

Unfortunately.

I can't believe they found three people willing to play Mega Man X8 to get a race together...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

axelsoar posted:

Aren't there like, 11?

I wasn't counting the portable games. They felt like yet another series to me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crain posted:

What time is it over there?

It's about 8:30AM, but because these are all young punks, everything in the room between 2AM and noon the following day is usually dead in the room.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the one hand, as someone who has no more Tony Hawk games to play I kind of want to get this game. Listening to it makes me want to avoid it...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Twitch chat can't handle two girls sitting on the couch. Cue my lack of surprise.

Twitch chat is how we know that Youtube comments aren't the lowest form of communication.

Dias posted:

I don't mind the short-rear end runs for dumb games, honestly. Every now and then there's a hidden gem amongst random NES games.

Anyting good happened since RE4? I gave in to sleep yesterday during that run (which I'm probably gonna go back to).

I liked the run. It's not going to be a highlight, but it showed off some skill and went fast so everyone won!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infinitymystery (assuming that's who it actually is on the left) is having so many obvious problems that it's making this race kind of dull.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jarogue posted:

So this is the first I'm look at twich chat on a big event, how is anybody suppose to read it?

Okay, your first error is assuming that you should read Twitch chat at any time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't know why everyone keeps saying "swag" for anything, but as a grumpy old man I hate it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Commander Keenan posted:

"Hype" pronounced as "hoip" triggers me.

They use it as a noun, an adjective, a verb, and I even think I heard someone use "swag" as an adverb. Quit breaking my broken language further! It can't take the strain!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

victrix posted:

I think a lot of these games were animated directly by Disney. I don't know how or why or when that all worked out, but the end results were pretty stunning.

Haven't seen this hd remake of CoI, should be neat.

Disney used to have a farm of slaves desperate animators who were "living the dream" that they could just dump on any old project. I'm pretty sure Maui Mallard was worked on by Disney animators as well.

I suspect that Maui Mallard was initially planned as an animated series tie in but syndicated cartoons were dieing right at the time leading to the cartoon being canned while the game managed to continue onward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cuatal posted:

Is the attendance lower than previous marathons? I can't really tell but the chairs don't seem very filled.

It's not even noon there yet. Everyone is sleeping off their hangovers.

They said they had their highest attendance at a GDQ yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm not liking the commentary on this run. Way too much stating the obvious ("avoid getting hit by enemies") and telling me things that are visible on screen.

Sardonik posted:

This young woman's jokes are so lame, and yet it's very endearing. Draws a sharp comparison to that crash bandicoot runner last night.

Yeah. I don't like it, but it's not making me wish that the stream would crash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UIApplication posted:

Up next ghouls and/or ghosts and/or goblins, fuckyeah

These would be fun games to run as the arcade version, but GnG is always good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm more excited to see Maldita Castilla aka what if GnG actually aged well.

The arcade version of the original Ghost 'n Goblins is still fantastic. And all of the sequels are good including the Incredible Machine crossover they did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Arcade version should be up next with Aquas. He crushes that version, so stay tuned.

Aaaaaaaah. That's why it says PS2. Cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I forgot they screwed up this port and made the game really dark.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lord Chumley posted:

This. Couch is good so far.

It's goofy, but it's the fun kind of goofy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

raditts posted:

I wonder how many hours of punishment you have to put into a Ghouls n Ghosts game to so thoroughly make it your bitch like that.

Less than you think but more than a reasonable person would want to do. As much as the games throw at you, they're very pattern driven and predictable. So getting good at the games isn't actually as hard as it seems to someone who just plays them a bit and recoils in horror. OTOH, doing it that smoothly requires three or four times that effort...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, I'm now even more satisfied with my decision not to purchase that Gauntlet remake.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I spent the last hour staring worriedly at a clock not knowing if I'd be back in time for the Death Tetris. Or as I like to call it, Dethtris. Now to have my mind blown...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Moatman posted:

First WR this marathon?

There was the Minnesota World Record for Maldita Castilla.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If people want to be made at anime games, there is a Touhou block in a few days because for some reason they cannot purge that thing from GDQ.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm waiting for the stack flip item to come out...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've actually played through the home version of this one. Even playing normally it's super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only way to complete this mode is to use 110% of your brain.

• Locked thread