Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Big Jon is the only run that matters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind that AGDQ's Yoshi run was any% and this one is a 100% done by Trihex which is always great to watch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How the gently caress do we have an Ecco run without Blueglass?

That is just mean.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Where's our accordion :argh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is a stupid as hell complaint, but I kinda miss the milliseconds on the timer.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zorglorfian posted:

Good first world.

Anyone know how long the shirts are up for to purchase?

I'm considering getting a few, and do they change day-to-day?
The shirts are up for the whole marathon.

They do not change, but in recent years if something special happens they add new shirts (Tetris shirt last marathon and last year they added a kill the animals shirt after the fire alarm)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He finally did it :stare:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

What do you mean? Im not particularly involved in "who's who" of the community, all the memes etc. I mainly just watch the runs.
Goofy poo poo would happen, like when trihex got a bonus stage and a man with an accordion ran up and played the theme.

As the runs get bigger, you just can't do spontaneous stuff like that anymore.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The block to watch this marathon is Summer Games Done Quack :ducksiren:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don't do drugs, kids.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hey we're doing memes I hear Wario 4 is up next :smug:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tae posted:

Disappointed that they're doing Dark Souls 2 instead of Bloodborne. Or any Platinum game that I can see at first glance. Or even general character action game speed runs.
Bloodborne came out like right after the deadline for submissions, I think.

Next marathon it'll probably be in.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

sout posted:

I've never seen a Sonic Boom run so I don't know what to expect, but it should hopefully be pretty dumb.
Let's just say there's a reason it's the unpatched version :getin:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I cannot believe they're doing another Binding of Isaac run, since all three or so of them have been loving awful.

The only plus side is that they're using Rebirth this time, so maybe that merits one last attempt to make BoI a thing at GDQ.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

bucksmash posted:

I've never seen a GDQ live but looking at older runs on Youtube it looks like SGDQ always takes in less.
SDGQ is newer, but it's growing. Last year it took in $750,000, and I would not be surprised if this was the first summer marathon to hit a million.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dias posted:

Rebirth is a lot more "stable" as a speedrun game, what with seeds and Azazel and all.
There's an incentive for an Eden run though :smithicide:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

#RoolTheBallot

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

UIApplication posted:

Are they doing a bad games block this time around? Watching them break and make fun of the bart vs the space mutants mod known as swamp thing was pretty great last winter
The Sonic block finished about an hour or two ago.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I get the feeling that the Silly Games Done Quick block is going to be the weird game block moving forward. As they get bigger, a bad games block could cost them sponsors, so the Awful Games block may be another loss like the bonus stream.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Why would an intentional bad games block cost them sponsors :confused:
One of their games this years was Pac-Man 2, so it COULD piss off certain humorless companies.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Didn't Iwata hate the DKC series?
Miyamoto disliked it, but that was largely because he didn't like the graphics and there was pressure from Nintendo for him to do the same style with Yoshi's Island.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This had made me realize we're in for the long haul of people donating to say RIP Iwata.
Those monsters.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

At a certain point it stops being a sentiment and devolves to either self-parody or, arguably worse, false compassion to get your message read by someone over the internet
It's not so much publicly pulling out of a charity but just quietly declining to sponsor in the first place.

I'm not saying it's rational or anything, but companies do weird poo poo at times.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wait, was the PS1 rated for 70,000 hits over its lifetime :stare:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Meridian posted:

I remember him saying that. I assumed the mashing square thing was an attempt to be faster that could soft lock the game. Wow.
He did it in an attempt to be cute, as runners in the past have done stuff like that as a way to add some spice to an otherwise ho-hum run or failed race. The problem is that this guy has zero charisma and acted like the lock was an accident instead of playing it up a bit. Like had he gone, "Cortex is next, but I think it's best to put this run out of its misery." he might have gotten some laughs. I dunno. You really can't be cute when the audience is clearly against you by that point.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

itskage posted:

Yeah he did because he thought it would be funny. Not because of his time.

I think his 'meltdown' is some hyperbole too. He's clearly smiling and thinks it's funny and joking about the crowd clapping the while time, but I'm weary of even posting that because I don't want that to be taken as me defending his actions or his dumb comments.
It didn't strike me as a meltdown, but just an unfunny guy digging himself even deeper. However, I swear one of the guys on the couch was telling him to calm down or something, so I guess he was a bit mad?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Meridian posted:

I think the "I'm like this around my friends" comment summed everything up pretty well.
Yeah, he was the Sonic Adventure runner, right? He talked about being nervous all throughout that run, and that run didn't seem that bad. I guess that first run loosened him up, but just way the gently caress too much.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

theultimo posted:

Thats normal at any convention. People are idiots.
And surprise surprise there are still smelly assholes because people are too polite to yell "Hey, this guy smells!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh god this is BEFORE the Crash run.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

remember how you can get the suit of armor costume for ashley

just watch her clankin' around for the whole game
Didn't that make her effectively invincible because she was too heavy for NPCs to grab?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:ducksiren: The best block is about to start :ducksiren:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What else does MechaRichter run? I know he's done other marathons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was always super confused why this game existed as a kid, but he's Donald in other countries? That makes more sense (although Donald becoming a ninja makes...less sense)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just looked up the composer for this, and one of his most recent works is Inside Out :stare:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, but where did this whole Maui Mallard concept come from? There's no comic or cartoon in Brazil or Europe that inspired this?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Okay this bungee part is like STRAIGHT from Earthworm Jim

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pikestaff posted:

I'm so ready for Mickey Mania next, I played the hell out of that game as a kid. It wasn't nearly as good as Mickey's Magical Quest but it was still fun stuff.
I played Magical Quest years later, and it has not aged well. I wonder if Mania is the same.

Mania has INCREDIBLE sprite work though. About as good as Maui Mallard.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This level :stare:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am super down with some Donald Duck spinoff where a ninja detective solves mysteries on eldritch planes of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

homphgomph posted:

I kind of understand why this game was not released in the US now. American Disney would never let this poo poo fly.
It was released, but they expunged all references to Donald Duck from it.

• Locked thread