Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ramadu posted:

Why the gently caress do I have to click Event Information then schedule on the website? Why would you do that instead of having the schedule on it's own thing. 2 clicks is hard but more I was scrolling through the main front page because SURELY they would have it on there too. And there is but its alllllllllllllll the way at the bottom in an inline text hyperlink. What the gently caress dudes, thats an awful way to set up an otherwise slick looking website.
The site will likely change a bit once the show starts to make way for a stream embed (and probably an IRC client thing). I wouldn't be surprised if they made the schedule link more apparent as part of that process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As is tradition, A VODs thread has been put up on Reddit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Looking a the schedule for the first time, I can't imagine how mind numbing a 2 hour Shenmue speed run must be.
I watched some of Puri's practice recently. It's a... strange game full of bad voice acting, high-risk gambling and phasing through walls.

And we're live!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jarogue posted:

WAIT, Kirby Tilt n Tumble?
On a Gamecube!

Meaning he has to use the entire console as a motion controller.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Humble Bundle thing is up, it actually seems to be a promo sale on their store this time, as opposed to a Bundle. Unless they're doing that separately. I dunno.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The HTML5 player still uses Flash for the actual video itself, because it's a WIP.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
An auspicious beginning.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChibiSoma posted:

Nonstop Talking: The Video Game. Holy poo poo, shut up Sonic and not-Sonics! Is the game normally that chatty or is that because he's blazing through it so quick?
They usually repeat themselves a lot more.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr E posted:

How do you make a game like that and only have 1 QA
They didn't.

Whether the devs fixed anything they found in the mad deadline rush, however...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Games Done Quick Youtube Channel has already started uploading runs, and has already got everything up to RE3 already up! Actually, wait... something's missing.

:haw:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

wait where did that chainsaw come from what
It's a New Game + thing they picked up right near the start to show the idle animation at some point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some thoughts:

1.) Kinda weird he's running a console version of Stranglehold instead of the PC. Is there any reason? I'd figure that mouselook would allow for more FAST.

2.) This game has aged kind of poorly visually, but such is launch-era PS360/Unreal 3, huh?

3.) Yay, Iceplug's still there watching Absolutely Everything into the nightmare hours!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Are we sure he's playing Stranglehold? Nobody's been shot in the penis in glorious slow motion yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ahh, there's the Stranglehold I know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
These brief freeze-ups are great. Midway is trolling Bonesaw from beyond the grave.

And the cartwheel!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's time for Yu Suzuki's Spooky Ghost Simulator 2001.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you think Shenmue 2 is a boring speedrun, you should see Shenmue 1. I watched Puri's running of it a while back, and since you largely can't skip the work sequences, his pro strats for them were to alt-tab over to Final Fantasy 7 and play that until the work sequence ended. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like TASbot will be making one more return appearance after the TASbot block: apparently, the winner of a four-hour "speed-TASing" race will be shown in the setup time between Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

I just looked up the composer for this, and one of his most recent works is Inside Out :stare:
Michael Giacchino has come a long goddamn way.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, but where did this whole Maui Mallard concept come from? There's no comic or cartoon in Brazil or Europe that inspired this?
Wikipedia claims this weird concept originated with this game, and was never referenced again.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

victrix posted:

I think a lot of these games were animated directly by Disney. I don't know how or why or when that all worked out, but the end results were pretty stunning.
Mickey Mania and Maui Mallard's animation work was farmed out by Disney to a company called Creative Capers Entertainment, judging by Mobygames.

Disney did, however, provide animation for Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King games. Apparently it was quite a struggle to get the sort of animations games of the time needed from feature film animators...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

raditts posted:

I've always wondered what Arthur was doing hanging out in his boxers with his girl in a graveyard anyway. Has there ever been an explanation for that one?
There are no public parks in their kingdom. It's a very strange oversight that will likely lead to a peasant revolt just months after the game's conclusion.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

There's an Ecco game but I don't see Blueglass credited anywhere. Is he at this GDQ?
He was sighted in the crowd at the start of the first day, but he's not running anything.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

tell me more about this... yerrop
They have this thing they call football, but it's really hosed up and weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Is something wrong with BlueGlass's mic or something? I thought I saw him talking all the time, but I can't hear poo poo.
Haha, he didn't think he was miced up so he wasn't saying anything. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Ecco games are notoriously hard. Sega actually insisted on making a bunch of things easier in the Japanese version. This interview for the 3D Classics re-release talks about it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

New strats live
Casually debuting TAS strats like it's no biggie.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Skeleton Games Done Quick 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Unofficial F.E.A.R. Speedrun Theme Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcsMPyjwav8

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Oh Unreal engine, are you ever not completely broken?
The level editor was coded in loving Visual Basic, dude.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What kind of Absolute Fuckwit plays Turrican on a loving SNES?
All the Amigas are in the AGDQ tech truck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Chiptune/techno-ish music by Virt
It's actually by Simon Viklund, who also did the awesome Payday 2 soundtracks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I guess doors and walls are nothing, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some great infanticide strats being shown off this marathon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Where is all this getting uploaded on YouTube? I looked at the schedule and almost all the cool stuff I would have wanted to watch happened at like 2am - 6am my time.
Twitch VODs are here.
Official Youtube uploads are here, but they're on a delay and incomplete.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Phuzzy posted:

Does anyone know what sort of fuckery is planned for TASBot this year?
My knowledge of TASes of these games is a bit out of date, but...

Megaman 1: Will likely involve an amusing glitch that spawns the end of the level script as a enemy item drop, breaking tons of things along the way
Sonic Advance: Will be a short but funny, if maybe kind of repetitive run where Sonic moves so fast he's off camera 90% of the time
Ikaruga: I have no knowledge of this, but if it works it'll probably be sick because c'mon, it's a Treasure game.
MYSTERY NES GAME: Apparently TASvideos will have four hours to whip up one last TAS as quickly as possible for after the Super Metroid race?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Welcome to the sausage factory.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Phuzzy posted:

And this is all live cartdrige with he TASBot doing the input, right?
They're using their emulator this time around, because the next game is a GBA game and you can't hook TASbot up to one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

abraxas posted:

AFAIK TASbot plays an emulator that supports lua scripting and save states so no it's not done on a live cart.

e;fb kind of also I am kind of wrong
To summarise: The emulator is used to craft the TAS run itself (a sequence of inputs). TASbot is the little raspberry pi contraption in ROB's hand that feeds these inputs to various consoles. The cables can be very sensitive to electric interference, though, so mic setups etc. can cause desyncs.

• Locked thread