Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
People will literally spend $100-$300 a day for scratch tickets. They scratch them, pay out, buy more, repeat until they run out of money. Lotto really is a tax on the dumb. Never seen a smart healthy normal person playing a scratch ticket unless it's like a lovely birthday gift from an aunt who hates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

those fuckers

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I know this really old guy who gets like $400 a month from his pension and he spends most of his day walking around town or reading the newspaper or sleeping

but he still spends like $90 every month on lottery tickets because one time he won $1500 on it.

I asked him how much he's spent on lottery tickets and he said like $3000 in his life

idiot tax indeed

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
really what else are those dipshits going to spend their money on that matters

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i bet when "the government" makes rockets to go to new planets people who buy lottery, or as i call it, the "idiot tax", will not be allowed on

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

lonesomedwarf posted:

i bet when "the government" makes rockets to go to new planets people who buy lottery, or as i call it, the "idiot tax", will not be allowed on

No point but I see your point.
Basically Moonraker in a nutshell

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I don't pity fools, that's Mr. T's job.

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

Gibberish posted:

I know this really old guy who gets like $400 a month from his pension and he spends most of his day walking around town or reading the newspaper or sleeping

but he still spends like $90 every month on lottery tickets because one time he won $1500 on it.

I asked him how much he's spent on lottery tickets and he said like $3000 in his life

idiot tax indeed

Idiot will say "You only need to win the big prize one time"
Idiot will then say on camera that his wage isn't sufficient to feed his family and/or dog :commissar:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gibberish posted:

idiot tax indeed
Hey if he wins $1500 again he might just break even.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Windows 98 posted:

Lotto really is a tax on the dumb.

why would you ever find it disgusting then :confused:

unassertive boy 99
Dec 7, 2014

by Ralp
I have a greater chance of winning millions than this thread being good lol ! :D Gotcha!!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Those tickets gotta payout someday!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

"gotta be in it to win it" - a.big stupid idot, am I right, ha ha, ami right :D

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

unassertive boy 99 posted:

I have a greater chance of winning millions than this thread being good lol ! :D Gotcha!!

what are the odds that we used the same emotioncon... wow, getting a tick tomorrow

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Nice idiot-shaming, folks

real nice

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Roy posted:

Nice idiot-shaming, folks

real nice

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I used to think I was too smart for the lottery, until o started buying TF2 keys. Probably spent $50 on those fuckers.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

The best is people who get one and say "Oh, you laugh now, but I WILL win someday."

No no you won't please don't spend money on that you do not have psychic lotto-manipulation powers :(

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015
Clarification : It really is a moron tax because anyone that had done statistics in mathematics, either at highschool or college wont try lotteries.

The thing I hate the most is when someone isn't following the advice of someone else whose job/education is exactly focused on the subject.
Like people buying iMacs when the family IT guy says "don't buy a loving iMac"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why wouldn't somebody who knows nothing about computers not buy an iMac? That's the target demo.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The worst thing about the lottery is every insufferable nerd falling all over themselves to explain how unlikely it is you'll win

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

notZaar posted:

Why wouldn't somebody who knows nothing about computers not buy an iMac? That's the target demo.

I'm speaking about the somebody-that-know-nothing-but-got-a-relative-in-IT-that-said-don't-buy-it-but-instead-listen-to-another-relative-that-has-no-knowledge-whatsoever-in-IT-and-that-says-buy-that-iMac

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Aralan posted:

The worst thing about the lottery is every insufferable nerd falling all over themselves to explain how unlikely it is you'll win

that's the second worst thing, the worst is anyone who hates retard taxes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Thotol posted:

Clarification : It really is a moron tax because anyone that had done statistics in mathematics, either at highschool or college wont try lotteries.

The thing I hate the most is when someone isn't following the advice of someone else whose job/education is exactly focused on the subject.
Like people buying iMacs when the family IT guy says "don't buy a loving iMac"

The "family IT guy" is nobody's favorite family member.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cuckoo posted:

The best is people who get one and say "Oh, you laugh now, but I WILL win someday."

No no you won't please don't spend money on that you do not have psychic lotto-manipulation powers :(
Not sure you really understand the motivation behind entering the lottery.

Like it isn't meant to be an investment in the same way as BOOTSTRAPPING your lovely minimum wage job into a slightly-more-than-minimum wage job via penny stocks with every spare coin you have is supposed to be (although it's probably going to end up about as profitable!).

It's more like a weekly or for some people daily ritual that promises an escape from your loving awful life if you get lucky.

If you can't or won't quit your job and get a better one, it's all you might have.

There are quite a lot of weeks in your life. They're mainly going to be awful if you just sit around feeling trapped with your sad bored wife, needy children, and similar friend-colleagues, watching your body decay before your eyes. Maybe on Saturday it'll all turn around and you'll gently caress off to Aruba with MILLIONS, though!

Literally no different than spending $$$ on Steam for a lot of posters.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

boom boom boom posted:

Until their laptop stops working.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you gotta remember dumb poor people are poor for a reason op. its better if they spend their money on lottery tickets instead of cigs and booze.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I know how miniscule my chances are of winning but I also know my chances of being wealthy enough to stop being a wage slave any other way so gently caress you for criticising me for spending 5 bux a week I'd piss away otherwise.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
OP i think scratch offs are a fun birthday gift kinda

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

you gotta remember dumb poor people are poor for a reason op. its better if they spend their money on lottery tickets instead of cigs and booze.

Everyone who plays the lottery also smokes and drinks

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

I know how miniscule my chances are of winning but I also know my chances of being wealthy enough to stop being a wage slave any other way so gently caress you for criticising me for spending 5 bux a week I'd piss away otherwise.
I'm pretty sure you have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do of having any positive class mobility without it these days, some insufferable nerd should do the math for me

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
nerds just spend the money on video games whats the difference

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
One time in college I was at my friends place getting drunk but then we ran out of alcohol but wanted to get more drunk, and we only had three (!) dollars so we couldn't afford more alcohol so instead we just bought 3 $1 scratchers and one of them was worth $10 (!!) so we were able to get another 5th of gin.

That is my scratcher story (:

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

According to the R.R.Martin's law : the 'family IT guy' is going to live long and prosper.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Aralan posted:

I'm pretty sure you have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do of having any positive class mobility without it these days, some insufferable nerd should do the math for me

goonhyperbole.txt

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
OP, why the hate?

Lottery tickets helped fund your lovely public elementary school and your lovely public college you barely got into.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
Aw nuts I really thought this thread was about Shirley Jackson.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

OP, why the hate?

Lottery tickets helped fund your lovely public elementary school and your lovely public college you barely got into.

are you the ops mum

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

hemale in pain posted:

are you the ops mum

I ate her rear end to consume her power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol if you think that investing and entrepreneurship has a greater chance of leading to financial independence than buying a lottory ticket every week.

At least when you chuck your ticket in the trash you don't have to go home and explain to your friends and family that you pissed away your life savings, and theirs, on your lovely business venture.

• Locked thread