Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hey gang, basically the lotto is a tax on idiots, a "stupid tax" if you will. been sayin it for years.... *rolls away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Not sure you really understand the motivation behind entering the lottery.

There are quite a lot of weeks in your life. They're mainly going to be awful if you just sit around feeling trapped with your sad bored wife, needy children, and similar friend-colleagues, watching your body decay before your eyes. Maybe on Saturday it'll all turn around and you'll gently caress off to Aruba with MILLIONS, though!

-"Honey! I won the lottery!!! Let's get packing!"
-"OMG! OMG! OMG! Cold weather? Hot weather? Where are we going?"
-"Wherever you want honey, just get the gently caress out of my house."

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rgocs posted:

lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dad gay seems like the type of guy who would buy a lottery ticket

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i only buy a ticket if its over 300million, otherwise its not worth the hassle

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
My mom played the lottery and bashfully said it might be their lucky break.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

ethanol posted:

Dad gay seems like the type of guy who would buy a lottery ticket

He spends all his money on Five Guys. He doesn't have any for scratch tickets.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

My mom played the lottery and bashfully said it might be their lucky break.

knowing what i know about your mom, i could see this

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

rgocs posted:

I'm watching season 1 of Boardwalk Empire and I swear somebody made that joke on the show

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

notZaar posted:

I'm watching season 1 of Boardwalk Empire and I swear somebody made that joke on the show

You might be right. It's an old joke, I must have first heard it about 20 years ago.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dad gay. so what posted:

i only buy a ticket if its over 300million, otherwise its not worth the hassle

Yeah, about twice a year I'll buy $5 worth of Powerball.

When I finally get my lucky win I'm not going to have it wasted on a loving scratch ticket or pitiful little state lottery. :colbert:

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

When I finally get my lucky win I'm not going to have it wasted on a loving scratch ticket or pitiful little state lottery. :colbert:

I too have bought a ticket when there's a large chunk of money on the pot, last one was about 4 years ago. I do, however, pick random numbers, because gently caress me if I see my 'lucky numbers' win $500 million without having a ticket. That fear is why those people who play the same set of numbers every week keep playing no matter what.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's the neoliberal economy. Give poor people the freedom to choose and they'll do whatever makes them most happy. In theory at least.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

It's the neoliberal economy. Give poor people the freedom to choose and they'll do whatever makes them most happy. In theory at least.

Well when you put it that way, I guess the lottery IS a good thing.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Well when you put it that way, I guess the lottery IS a good thing.

Given the chances of winning it sounds just like homeopathy for the soul.

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Early Cuyler posted:

JAK A LOT FROM THE SQUATTERY THE LOTTERYS SHOULD BE THE JACK SQUATTERY CAUSE I AYNT JACK SQUATTING A LOT Y THEY SHOULD RENAME THE LOTTERY TO THE JACK SQUATTERY CAUSE THAT'S ALL I EVER WIN IN IT!!!!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
they should call it the "JACK SQUATERY" cause all ive ever got was jack squat!

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
start the powerball simulator and watch it go for a while if you think playing the lottery is a reasonable thing to do

http://powerballsim.appspot.com/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

olaf2022 posted:

start the powerball simulator and watch it go for a while if you think playing the lottery is a reasonable thing to do

Any day now.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I think the lottery is ok. Every once in a while I win a few bucks :frogbon:

filthy ditch
Jul 22, 2014

im sick of all the drat dumb asses around here who spend their money on dumb poo poo instead of the latest gadgets from google and appple and all my favorite san fran tech startups and i have insanely good and specific opinions on what other peoeple should do with their time, money, lives, children, etc, and hell i plan on telling them all to the gbs forums over the course of years and years

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

filthy ditch posted:

im sick of all the drat dumb asses around here who spend their money on dumb poo poo instead of the latest gadgets from google and appple and all my favorite san fran tech startups and i have insanely good and specific opinions on what other peoeple should do with their time, money, lives, children, etc, and hell i plan on telling them all to the gbs forums over the course of years and years

I bet this guy loves to play lottery, he probably plays it so much that he won even, despite the fact that its effectively impossible according to Jon Stewert and my freshman college math professor

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What state lottos demonstrate is that there's a downside to the "legalize vice industries but regulate it" approach. In that by regulating (i.e. taxing) it, you incentivize government to maximize its tax income by spending millions of dollars advertising the lotto. And like other vices, the hardcore lotto/gambling addicts -- who also tend to be lower down the socio-economic hierarchy -- are the ones contributing most of the revenue.

So now it's in the state's interest to fund education and etc. off the backs of poor addicts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPoYcH3bO90

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 24, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

olaf2022 posted:

Couldn't we build a giant spaceship and send it on a million-year-trek to that new planet -- and it'll reach it -- before you're statistically likely to win the powerball.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
i agree it is disgusting, especially the part where the guy who wins is stoned to death

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

olaf2022 posted:

i made a 2000 dollar profit and it only took 43 years

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Thotol posted:

I'm speaking about the somebody-that-know-nothing-but-got-a-relative-in-IT-that-said-don't-buy-it-but-instead-listen-to-another-relative-that-has-no-knowledge-whatsoever-in-IT-and-that-says-buy-that-iMac

If you work in IT never offer any tech advice at all to anyone, because the moment that poo poo breaks, you're the first person they will blame.

This goes double for fixing poo poo.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

unassertive boy 99 posted:

I have a greater chance of winning millions than this thread being good lol ! :D Gotcha!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fintilgin posted:

don't buy more than one ticket per drawing, it lowers your return by a huge amount

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

The Bible posted:

If you work in IT never offer any tech advice at all to anyone, because the moment that poo poo breaks, you're the first person they will blame.

This goes double for fixing poo poo.

There is an old saying about the true key to an happy life :
Don't ever loving say you 'knows' about computer. :keke:

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

Enfield posted:

thsnks for the clarification

Risky
May 18, 2003

suck it op

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Lottery isn't about winning money. You're buying a dream, buying a ticket out of the hellhole of drudgery and misery that is your existence. Sure, most tickets are losers, but in the meantime, before that inevitable disappointment, you have the chance to daydream about your wonderful new lottery existence, and even believe that it has snowball's chance in hell of becoming a reality.

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

Pitdragon posted:

Lottery isn't about winning money. You're buying a dream, buying a ticket out of the hellhole of drudgery and misery that is your existence. Sure, most tickets are losers, but in the meantime, before that inevitable disappointment, you have the chance to daydream about your wonderful new lottery existence, and even believe that it has snowball's chance in hell of becoming a reality.

And then you go home to your wonderful -lifedream- cardboard home. Well said !

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Thotol posted:

Clarification : It really is a moron tax because anyone that had done statistics in mathematics, either at highschool or college wont try lotteries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023514/Joan-R-Ginther-won-lottery-4-times-Stanford-University-statistics-PhD.html

Got away with it too

I knew a waitress who was convinced it was her destiny to win the lottery. She was working a busy shift and another waiter who was knocking off asked if she wanted to go halves on a few tickets. She declined for the first time ever because she had no cash on her. He won about $1.1m three hours later.

Both their lives spiralled after that haha.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

EugeneJ posted:

Everyone who plays the lottery also smokes and drinks

it boggles the mind how people expect to turn a profit this way

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

corpuscollossus posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023514/Joan-R-Ginther-won-lottery-4-times-Stanford-University-statistics-PhD.html

Got away with it too

I knew a waitress who was convinced it was her destiny to win the lottery. She was working a busy shift and another waiter who was knocking off asked if she wanted to go halves on a few tickets. She declined for the first time ever because she had no cash on her. He won about $1.1m three hours later.

Both their lives spiralled after that haha.

Well, your answer is dumb because obviously, if you know a trick to gain lottery : ofc you will play, whether you are working in statistics or liberal arts.. etc.

And for the second one : rekt :)

Thotol
Jul 10, 2015

Grandmother of Five posted:

it boggles the mind how people expect to turn a profit this way

Come on : Smoking is social :circlefap: (PS : I don't smoke and I hate that loving answer)

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

spoiler: lots of the people who win big jackpots...go broke

i had some google spreadsheets at one point that let you calculate the EV of jackpot games like powerball, and would recalculate it based on the jackpot/cash-jackpot size. but it wasn't totally accurate because it didn't account for how, as the jackpot rises, more people play, thus increasing the chance that the jackpot is split

I can testify. My aunt Liz won 15 million and is a broke alcoholic Well so am I but to contribute I think it is all dumb, but maybe once a year I will but one of every $1 scratch off ticket and lose every time. I feel bad for the poors (er) than me that pin their hopes on that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

thewireguy posted:

I can testify. My aunt Liz won 15 million and is a broke alcoholic Well so am I but to contribute I think it is all dumb, but maybe once a year I will but one of every $1 scratch off ticket and lose every time. I feel bad for the poors (er) than me that pin their hopes on that bullshit.

Honestly curious. Was your aunt Liz an alcoholic before she won the 15 million or became one afterwards?

• Locked thread